Joerger: Tanking, incompetent or ? (With poll)

So what's the deal with Joerger?

• Total voters
You might want to do a little more research. It was Joerger who started bringing Randolph off the bench at the end of his final season as head coach of Memphis. He even took some criticism for it if memory serves (Green wasn't quite ready yet).
No, he didn't. Check Zbo's gamelog. Zbo played 68 games and started 53 of them. The games he came off the bench were in December and January for reasons I wouldn't know, after which he went back to starting and playing 30-35 minutes all the way to end of the season.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Yeah whoever called me out asking me to list what players Fizdale has implemented over Joerger's due to Joerger's obsession with vets I'd be more than happy to. It's funny how much people are jumping at Joerger criticism as if it's all nonsense, I lived in Tennessee, I followed the Grizzlies, every fan had issues with his rotations and vet obsession. This isn't something new.

Most notably was Zbo. When he started to decline, Joerger never entertained the idea of bringing him off the bench despite his defense and speed killing the starting unit, and he was a perfect bench spark... It took a new coach, who quickly moved Zbo to 6th man role.
Oh well that settles it....didnt know every fan had issues with his rotations. Not sure why Joerger just doesn't fan source the starting lineup and rotations.

It's still october. For a few days anyway. Lol.

Look, lets not forget Joerger is as much a rookie in this scenario as any of the players so maybe we should give him a little more time as well. I mean, name me the NBA team he's headed up through the rebuild process and I'll let you ride my unicorn. In the end he'll have to commit to something, old, young, whatever it may be because if he thinks he can just run random lineups out there game to game and succeed then that means he'll have to buck pretty much any coaching trend ever set. I just hope his crazy last year in Memphis didn't give him the idea that the bonkers season of 59 players and 149 different lineups is doable because the reality was they limped in to the playoffs on the back of a terrific start. It was a good coaching job IMO considering the circumstances but really nothing more then a limp to the finish.

Oh well that settles it....didnt know every fan had issues with his rotations. Not sure why Joerger just doesn't fan source the starting lineup and rotations.

He doesn't have to. He should use his two eyes and see the only thing this team has potential with is it's youth. As a coach wanting to win, it sucks, but it is what it is. If he's one of those coaches that thinks young players get better by not playing then lord help us.

You might want to do a little more research. It was Joerger who started bringing Randolph off the bench at the end of his final season as head coach of Memphis. He even took some criticism for it if memory serves (Green wasn't quite ready yet).
This is correct. I just moved from Northern Alabama(Grizzlies and Hawks games on TV) to Colorado, because this is apparently important, but it was Joerger who asked (told) Z-Bo he would be more effective coming off the bench. I had figured it will be only a matter of time, pomp and circumstance etc, until the same happens here.

This year is for growth, that might not even be visible.

We are in decent shape moving forward. Might even be great shape, after a fashion...

If only they tracked things like who starts games, played how many minutes, and there was some kind of widely available resource people could access and source we might be able to settle this p***ing contest.

Dang.

No, he didn't. Check Zbo's gamelog. Zbo played 68 games and started 53 of them. The games he came off the bench were in December and January for reasons I wouldn't know, after which he went back to starting and playing 30-35 minutes all the way to end of the season.
The reasons you don't know are that Joeger asked ZBo about coming off the bench. When it didn't work out, he put him back in the starting lineup.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
We are the 26th worst scoring team at 98.6 points a game.

But the abyss gets deep, Chicago is the worst in the league at 89.8

So as bad as we've been, there has been a few worse.
hard to believe there are teams that are worse on offense than Sacramento right now. Utah has to be up there too, no?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
He doesn't have to. He should use his two eyes and see the only thing this team has potential with is it's youth. As a coach wanting to win, it sucks, but it is what it is. If he's one of those coaches that thinks young players get better by not playing then lord help us.
Wait. What? You're saying Joerger doesn't know the potential of the team lies in the youth? Oh my gawd. Somebody call the press. Why hasn't anyone else figured this out?

You act as though he has no idea what he is doing, which is patently absurd. You also imply that he just wants to win, which is also absurd. He has made it incredibly clear that he has the task of figuring out how to best utilize our youth now and in the future. He's well aware he needs to help them be the most they can be, for both themselves and the Kings. He wants our young players to earn their time and not just be handed NBA minutes on a platter.

As someone else posted out a while back (I'm sorry whomever you are but I cannot remember at this moment), each of these kids are used to being winners. They've come up through the ranks and almost without exception been at the top of the list in terms of ability and potential. Now they've made it to the NBA, where they're running up against nothing but their peers and better. It's a tough lesson for them to learn. I personally trust Dave Joerger to do his best, along with the rest of his staff, to maximize their chances for success.

Wait. What? You're saying Joerger doesn't know the potential of the team lies in the youth? Oh my gawd. Somebody call the press. Why hasn't anyone else figured this out?

You act as though he has no idea what he is doing, which is patently absurd. You also imply that he just wants to win, which is also absurd. He has made it incredibly clear that he has the task of figuring out how to best utilize our youth now and in the future. He's well aware he needs to help them be the most they can be, for both themselves and the Kings. He wants our young players to earn their time and not just be handed NBA minutes on a platter.

As someone else posted out a while back (I'm sorry whomever you are but I cannot remember at this moment), each of these kids are used to being winners. They've come up through the ranks and almost without exception been at the top of the list in terms of ability and potential. Now they've made it to the NBA, where they're running up against nothing but their peers and better. It's a tough lesson for them to learn. I personally trust Dave Joerger to do his best, along with the rest of his staff, to maximize their chances for success.

I was specifically responding to a sarcastic comment with a hint of hyperbole. However, his comments post game do cause me a bit of concern, he was clearly frustrated with the game and one could imply that starting the bulk of the Kings young talent base tonight wasn't his idea.

And as far as him having no idea what he's doing? Well, so far the magic 8 ball is formulating an answer. Like I said, what's his track record with rebuilding teams in the NBA? He has as much to prove as any of these young players so in a perfect world they all come together and prove everyone wrong.

People keep talking about what Joerger did in Memphis. He inherited a 50 win team that made it to the Western Conference Finals the year before he became head coach, all he had to do was NOT MESS IT UP, and he didn't.

People keep talking about what Joerger did in Memphis. He inherited a 50 win team that made it to the Western Conference Finals the year before he became head coach, all he had to do was NOT MESS IT UP, and he didn't.
He didn't mess it up, but he didn't bring the needle any further because he ran basically an imitation of Hollins. The only difference was Hollins would get in Gasol's face if he got soft, Joerger didn't. I think Fizdale is trying to move the needle forward for them.

Buddy goes 3-4 in the 1st quarter last night with 7 points, doesn't come back in until the 2nd half. Skal goes 4-6 with 11 points and plays 15 minutes.

This is ridiculous and has been happening every game. Don't give me the whole player development spiel, I have never in my life heard of a player starting the game, going 3-4 during his start, and not coming back until the 2nd half.

I'm sure somebody will mention his success in Memphis, he took over a team that was already making the playoffs every year with 50+ wins. It was due to all the vets he had who could still play, and carried the team (zbo, Marc Gasol, Conley, Allen, etc.).

I believe he's deliberately trying to lose games already, which is depressing.
I am curious what your thoughts are now? Buddy , Skal and all the young guys got to face a Playoff level starting unit last night. You saw the results.

I am curious what your thoughts are now? Buddy , Skal and all the young guys got to face a Playoff level starting unit last night. You saw the results.
I'm happy they started and I hope they continue to do so (even though I know they won't). It was 1 game, Fox's first career start, against a top 3 PG in the league, and against one of the top teams. It was ugly, but I would bet that's the worst game that starting unit would have.

He didn't mess it up, but he didn't bring the needle any further because he ran basically an imitation of Hollins. The only difference was Hollins would get in Gasol's face if he got soft, Joerger didn't. I think Fizdale is trying to move the needle forward for them.
Yeah, that's my point. Joerger didn't do much in Memphis.

Yeah, that's my point. Joerger didn't do much in Memphis.
Except for reaching the playoffs in every season and coaching the Grizzlies through some hard fought series.
From my point of view Joerger altered the Grizzlies playstyle quite a bit after Hollins. Where Hollins ran a pretty stagnant post offense with some high low plays, Joerger gradually increased the amount of pick and rolls every year and relied more on horn plays. Conley really grew into the player he is know under Joerger.

I understand some of the criticism. Im not a fan of the current Kings offense. I also think Joerger has a tendency to be loyal to a fault towards certain core players.
But the dude knows a thing or two about coaching defense and is a decent overall Nba coach.
Let's not get carried away, because our young players failed miserably against a good Wizards team.

I'm happy they started and I hope they continue to do so (even though I know they won't). It was 1 game, Fox's first career start, against a top 3 PG in the league, and against one of the top teams. It was ugly, but I would bet that's the worst game that starting unit would have.
A top 3 PG? How so?

upload_2017-10-30_14-27-53.png

Except for reaching the playoffs in every season and coaching the Grizzlies through some hard fought series.
From my point of view Joerger altered the Grizzlies playstyle quite a bit after Hollins. Where Hollins ran a pretty stagnant post offense with some high low plays, Joerger gradually increased the amount of pick and rolls every year and relied more on horn plays. Conley really grew into the player he is know under Joerger.

I understand some of the criticism. Im not a fan of the current Kings offense. I also think Joerger has a tendency to be loyal to a fault towards certain core players.
But the dude knows a thing or two about coaching defense and is a decent overall Nba coach.
Let's not get carried away, because our young players failed miserably against a good Wizards team.
The point was he inherited success more than created any. I don't think it's too much to ask for a NBA coach to make the playoffs with the same team that made the WCF the year before..

The point was he inherited success more than created any. I don't think it's too much to ask for a NBA coach to make the playoffs with the same team that made the WCF the year before..
Well I think it would be too much to ask for a whole lot of guys, who have/had the opportunity to coach in the NBA. ;)