Joerger and Divac recap the season

Discussion in 'Kings Rap' started by VF21, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Telemachus

Telemachus Well-Known Member

It depends on when they posted that statement. If it was before the season was over, then it wasn't uninformed.
  2. itzcoatl

itzcoatl Well-Known Member

I consider myself pretty informed and that's the first I've heard of any restriction like that. Realgm says it's only protected 1-3 and there appears to be nothing further about it. What am I missing?

"2017 first round draft pick to Sacramento
    New Orleans' 1st round pick to Sacramento protected for selection(s) 1-3 in 2017, 1 in 2018, 1 in 2019 and 1 in 2020 and unprotected in 2021 [New Orleans-Sacramento, 2/20/2017]"

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed
  3. Telemachus

Don't forget Larry Drew, Otis Thorpe, and LaSalle Thompson. As I recall, that team still only won 37 games. It is hard for me to believe that I was 15 that first season.
  4. Telemachus

I think he is saying that NO can't get picks 4-9 anymore. They finished 10th, so they can only move into the top 3 or pick 10th or higher.
    lwc, VF21, parker and 1 other person like this.
  5. Big Cuz 15

Big Cuz 15 Well-Known Member

i can't believe vlade accepted protections on the pick(s)
    lwc likes this.
  6. ppine

ppine Active Member

We are not good "at retaining talent." We also not that good at drafting talent or developing talent.
    Did anyone notice that yesterday's playoff game between Boston and Chicago featured two Kings point guards leading the way?
  7. Larry David

Larry David Well-Known Member

If you truly believe the spin from Vlade and the PR department that Vivek isn't being consulted (with at least implicit veto power if, not outright asking permission) regarding trades of significance, you don't get how other NBA teams or general business works. The Kings are going to expend two out of their three biggest building blocks over the next 3 years, there is going to be at least a conversation that we plan to do with the owner.

The successful teams don't have owners totally divorced from the process, instead they ask some follow up questions to assess whether the logic is sound before saying, "Sounds great, thanks" because they know they hired people, who know the details better, and they allow them to do their job.

The systemic issue with the Kings is the controlling partner has really crummy ideas and a bad management process. At best, he repeatedly shows an inability to defer to his people and at worst meddles.

I would not consider "all quiet" to reflect change. After basking in the savior of the Kings light for over a year, just about the time of the Malone / Jazz conductor video taped interview, the team clearly helped created a media bubble for our owner. Other than the Karl press conference, they've tried to keep him away from the media. He tried a very small and modest press tour with the opening of the arena and it went badly.

How the Cousins situation played out and that they requested permission to talk with Heinkie leads me to believe the change hasn't been monumental, merely the amount of coverage regarding his style of management is way down.
  8. bajaden

bajaden Well-Known Member

Not sure what you mean about the Pel's and the Lottery. The Pel's are currently at 10, and the only way they can move up from 10 is to move up in the lottery. If a team moves up in the lottery, they'll end up in either 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. So if the Pel's were to move up into the top three, we would lose the pick this year since it's top three protected. So that said, we all need to hope that they stay right where they are.
    ockingsfan and Kingster like this.
  9. est.1999

est.1999 Well-Known Member

You misread my post. I was quoting a facebooker who thought if the pels picked between 4-10 we'd be good but it's impossible for them to pick between 4 and 9. If it's 3 or lower we lose it.