Joe Maloof on Sierra Sports Round Table

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I don't know if this has been posted or not but on CSN this morning they had Joe Maloof on the Sierra Sports Round Table as a guest and it was a very interesting interview, a lot of repeated stuff but still a cool discussion. Apparently they'll have part 2 next week, but they replay it throughout the week so if you can, catch it.

A few interesing notes:

They talked a little about Bonzi and how well he played and he did say "We don't mind paying Bonzi" or something to that extent and brought up how they have done it before and they will open the pocket books if it brings the team closer to a championship.

Basically I got the sense that they wouldn't mind paying the luxury tax and he said they will be looking to add to the team this summer feeling that this team can contend now.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
SacTownKid said:
Basically I got the sense that they wouldn't mind paying the luxury tax and he said they will be looking to add to the team this summer feeling that this team can contend now.
With "their" coach in place, they need to spend some $$$ to show he has their backing. Not saying they didn't shell out before, because they did, but now they have some extra pressure/incentive to make sure they do what they can to compete.

Warhawk said:
With "their" coach in place, they need to spend some $$$ to show he has their backing. Not saying they didn't shell out before, because they did, but now they have some extra pressure/incentive to make sure they do what they can to compete.
Indeed! And the more we contend for a championship(hopefully winning one sometime in my lifetime:D), the more of a positive spin it puts forth towards swaying a few more votes for a new arena.

Just tossing this out there for chatter, do you think Cuban being this close to a ring has put a little fire under the Maloofs? I mean they have always wanted a ring but it felt like they were disconnected from the team the last few years.

Rich people are funny with their ego's, I was just thinking about this the other day.

BigWaxer said:
Just tossing this out there for chatter, do you think Cuban being this close to a ring has put a little fire under the Maloofs? I mean they have always wanted a ring but it felt like they were disconnected from the team the last few years.

Rich people are funny with their ego's, I was just thinking about this the other day.
Let's hope!

Yeah I was thinking with a new coach they'll spend the money. They want to give him the tools he needs, so that the team wins games. If the team wins games and plays better overall, it makes their decision to not retain Adelman and hire Musselman look like a good hire. Of course it will be the coaching and the level of talent on the floor though that will both make the difference.

With all of the "talk" surrounding the Maloofs over the past months, it seems very apparent that their cost cutting moves over the past couple years were instigated by the fact that they had lost confidence in Adleman.

It looks like they did not want to spend extra money on a team that they felt had no shot due to their coach.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
DocHolliday said:
I do believe that the Kings have Bonzi's Larry Bird Rights.

Do we? I thought for some reason we did not, but I'd be more than glad to be wrong. Having them is not only invaluable in keeping a guy of course, but can also effectively drag down his market value if you make enough noise about keeping him (which we have) because other team's won't even bother to waste their time chasing him.

macadocious said:
With all of the "talk" surrounding the Maloofs over the past months, it seems very apparent that their cost cutting moves over the past couple years were instigated by the fact that they had lost confidence in Adleman.

It looks like they did not want to spend extra money on a team that they felt had no shot due to their coach.
if that was the case, then they would have fired adelman outright a couple of years ago, rather than waiting all this time. they didn't want to spend the money because they didn't wanna pay the luxury tax.

Bricklayer said:
Do we? I thought for some reason we did not, but I'd be more than glad to be wrong. Having them is not only invaluable in keeping a guy of course, but can also effectively drag down his market value if you make enough noise about keeping him (which we have) because other team's won't even bother to waste their time chasing him.
I'm pretty sure we do. I remember hearing this numerous times towards the end of the season that we had his Larry Bird Rights. I guess it could have been the voices in my head though. :D

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Here's the CBA section about Bird rights.

LARRY BIRD EXCEPTION -- This is the best known one. Players who qualify for this exception are called "Qualifying Veteran Free Agents" in the CBA, and this exception is a component of the Veteran Free Agent exception. This exception allows teams to exceed the salary cap to re-sign their own free agents, up to the player's maximum salary. The player must have played for three seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent. This means a player can obtain "Bird rights" by playing under three one-year contracts, a single contract of at least three years, or any combination. It also means that when a player is traded, his Bird rights are traded with him, and his new team can use the Bird exception to re-sign him. These contracts can be up to six years in length. A player can receive raises up to 10.5% of the salary in the first season of the contract. This exception is known as the Larry Bird exception because the Celtics were the first team allowed to exceed the cap to keep their own free agent, and the player happened to be Bird.
Seems like we would have Bonzi's rights since it says they would have been traded with him.

BigWaxer said:

That is what I was wondering also.

Padrino said:
if that was the case, then they would have fired adelman outright a couple of years ago, rather than waiting all this time. they didn't want to spend the money because they didn't wanna pay the luxury tax.
On a team that wasn't going to win a championship. Makes sense to me. Now they have another shot at a championship, they'll spend now.

SacTownKid said:
They talked a little about Bonzi and how well he played and he did say "We don't mind paying Bonzi" or something to that extent and brought up how they have done it before and they will open the pocket books if it brings the team closer to a championship.

Hey that would be GREAT if it pans-out! It seemed that they wanted to stay below the tax - but if they are willing to go above then they could sign Bonzi AND have the MLE to get another player. With a little wheeling and dealing we might look a nice step better next year!

BigWaxer said:

I GOT to believe that Dallas doing this well is going to open some pocket-books!! Before people could look at New York and say money does not buy you a ring - but looking at Dallas, you can see the effect of not letting money limit you.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
MadMKEkf said:
I GOT to believe that Dallas doing this well is going to open some pocket-books!! Before people could look at New York and say money does not buy you a ring - but looking at Dallas, you can see the effect of not letting money limit you.

There is, however, a certain irony or lesson int hat it was precisely two cost cutting moves -- letting Steve Nash walk, and amnesty clausing Finley's contract that helped create the team rgiht now that is poised to win a title.

Bricklayer said:
There is, however, a certain irony or lesson int hat it was precisely two cost cutting moves -- letting Steve Nash walk, and amnesty clausing Finley's contract that helped create the team rgiht now that is poised to win a title.
Who knows what would've happened with Avery as coach if Nash and Fin were still there.