Jimmer Grades vs. Warriors 11/02/2013 (or Jimmermaniacs unite!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tanking means dumping your best overpaid players in hopes of future gains. Think the Kings would dump MT if they could? Yes. Even if meant they would win fewer games this year? Yes.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Tanking means dumping your best overpaid players in hopes of future gains. Think the Kings would dump MT if they could? Yes. Even if meant they would win fewer games this year? Yes.
That may be your definition, but we've been talking about it around here for a very long time and there are a lot of different ways of looking at it. Others can argue the topic if they like, but I'm not going to bother.

Hardly. There are plenty of ways to "tank" without dumping your players. Most of the times you are tanking because you have no players to dump in the first place.

You're right. There are many ways. For example, the Kings could give inordinate playing time to McLemore even if he is very mediocre. They will trade wins for player development. In the case of Vasquez and Patterson, they will give them a lot of time just to collect data. Trade wins for data. To make a decision on whether to keep them. And so forth. For Jimmer the decision has been made. No development, no more data needed. He is a dead man walking (actually sitting).

But that makes no sense. Jimmer is the player who we need more data on. Jimmer has flashed a better handle in the few games we've seen him in. The coaches should play him more in order to see if that's for real. In three games, Salmons has shown us that he can't hit shots, nothing new relative to his last three years here. In three games, Patterson has shown that he can't rebound or defend, nothing new relative to his whole career.

Jimmer is a player who is actually getting better each year. 2nd year, he was a better shooter. 3rd year, he's showing a much better handle, which is liberating his play-making ability.

It makes more sense to think that they're trying to showcase MT, Salmons, and Patterson in order to boost their trade value, especially MT since he isn't an expiring.

Last edited:
If you call getting rid of MT tanking I would like to disagree on that aspect. My opinion on him is he just seems lost. I feel like the structured offense is something he is not used to and is used to just running and chucking shots. He may improve and change his play style to fit the scheme. I feel that is a big if though. If I was a betting man I would say his days are numbered. He is making a good chunk of change, so I would play him till he finds a hot streak and try to dump him for any player that could benefit the organization long term. It's not about improving right now (which has been stated already). It's like a house. A house built on a bad foundation may last and be nice for a while, but it will crumble. You need to build that foundation and cutting corners is not the way to do that.

Tanking to me is giving up everything and demolishing what was already built. I feel like some key stones are set in place and like I said before we are at least going the right direction.

Thanks for the welcome guys
Go Kings!

My personal theory on MT is that after playing for Malone in New Orleans and (reportedly) being found wanting on the defensive end, then traded, he knows that the writing is on the wall. He can't hide the fact that he really, really wishes he weren't here, because he knows that this team isn't in his future as long as Malone is here. I don't have any inside knowledge...that's just the way it looks to me.

My personal theory on MT is that after playing for Malone in New Orleans and (reportedly) being found wanting on the defensive end, then traded, he knows that the writing is on the wall. He can't hide the fact that he really, really wishes he weren't here, because he knows that this team isn't in his future as long as Malone is here. I don't have any inside knowledge...that's just the way it looks to me.
That was similar to my opinion before the season began. I watched a lot of the Hornets while he was there, and I kind of bought into the idea that he was benched for his lack of defense and offensive discipline.

I have changed my opinion somewhat. Thornton doesn't look to be on a short leash, and, maybe as a result of that, he does seem to be reining in the chucking for the most part, actually making a concerted effort to not throw up garbage and to move the ball better. Oh, he still throws up the garbage, but at only half the rate he used to.

Which sort of leads to a different set of problems. Remember that deer in the headlights look Jimmer had his first year? He had such a deep green light at BYU, but came into the league knowing he had to defer to his teammates and take his shots within the offense. That led to him passing up a lot of good looks because he was doing the mental calculations of whether the shot was a good shot, whether he had an open teammate, etc. I see that look on Thornton a little bit now. There's that half-second pause while he is trying to figure out what the right move is with the ball. Before, the calculation was easy. "Do I have the ball? If yes, then shoot. If no, then goback to 1." Now there are half a dozen additional calculations he is trying to make when he has the ball instead of just launching it on the catch. That should sort itself out, but look for him to continue to look lost for the next ten games or so. I think he is learning the game of basketball for the first time instead of just a very well-compensated game of horse.

S

storisaurus

It's shocking that MT is getting Jimmer's minutes at this point. Makes zero and I mean zero sense. Jimmer has obviously transcended his game and is easily better than the MT we are watching.

Hadlow, I feel like that is a fair observation and hope your right because we all can see what he can be. We just are trying to catch that lightning in a bottle. If we can do that MT can be very valuable to the team. I do hope he succeeds btw he is a very talented scorer

It's shocking that MT is getting Jimmer's minutes at this point. Makes zero and I mean zero sense. Jimmer has obviously transcended his game and is easily better than the MT we are watching.
Transcended? o_O The only possible "transcending" that he's gonna do anytime soon, is in the D-League. He's a good dude, but a spade is a spade ;)

That was similar to my opinion before the season began. I watched a lot of the Hornets while he was there, and I kind of bought into the idea that he was benched for his lack of defense and offensive discipline.

I have changed my opinion somewhat. Thornton doesn't look to be on a short leash, and, maybe as a result of that, he does seem to be reining in the chucking for the most part, actually making a concerted effort to not throw up garbage and to move the ball better. Oh, he still throws up the garbage, but at only half the rate he used to.

Which sort of leads to a different set of problems. Remember that deer in the headlights look Jimmer had his first year? He had such a deep green light at BYU, but came into the league knowing he had to defer to his teammates and take his shots within the offense. That led to him passing up a lot of good looks because he was doing the mental calculations of whether the shot was a good shot, whether he had an open teammate, etc. I see that look on Thornton a little bit now. There's that half-second pause while he is trying to figure out what the right move is with the ball. Before, the calculation was easy. "Do I have the ball? If yes, then shoot. If no, then goback to 1." Now there are half a dozen additional calculations he is trying to make when he has the ball instead of just launching it on the catch. That should sort itself out, but look for him to continue to look lost for the next ten games or so. I think he is learning the game of basketball for the first time instead of just a very well-compensated game of horse.
Best analysis of MT I've seen yet. And of course, I agree.

Oh come on lol Jimmer fans are bad but being a broncos fan I have lived through the tebow fanatic era... the Tim tebowites cursed the organization for signing Manning. They would say Tim was a better an and called Manning broke neck classless.. that makes perfect sense that tebow should play basketball. He has been practicing his bounce passes on the football field! Zing! Just playing he is a good person

Glenn

Hall of Famer
LOL I had the same exact thought. Toss Hayes in there as well.
If this is a showcase, I wonder how it would look if we were trashing them. :) Anyway, I never bought that PPat was this great stretch 4 so how he is performing isn't a huge surprise. A disappointment; you betcha.

S

storisaurus

Clearly, Tim Tebow would start at center and pf. Jimmer would play the other positions.
Tebow is another player being treated unfairly. It's such a shame. There is no way in hell there are 30-60 better options at QB. All Tebow does is win. Clemens, Pryor, Manuel, Smith, etc...all starting QBs starting in the NFL. Wow.

S

storisaurus

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/11/05/5881304/kings-notes-slow-starts-concern.html#mi_rss=Kings/NBA

Sounds like it won't be long until Jimmer is the starter and MT is out, as it should be based on talent and production.

"I want to give this group an opportunity before we make changes, but I will also say this starting lineup is not set in stone for 82 games," Malone said of the bunch that scored just 22 points Saturday at Golden State.
Guarded talk – Jimmer Fredette is behind Marcus Thornton and Ben McLemore at shooting guard, but Malone hasn't ruled out going to Fredette if the Kings play poorly.
"Right now, his role is limited, obviously, but that can change with this group in a pretty quick manner, I guess," Malone said.
Thornton is averaging 9.3 points through three games on 37.0 percent shooting. Malone is content to bring McLemore off the bench, and the Kings continue to rave about the rookie's progress.
So if Fredette is going to play, he'll have to supplant Thornton.
"We're giving Marcus the opportunity (to start), but the reality is if we continue to struggle, we will not just stay with a lineup to say, 'These are our starters,' " Malone said.

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/11/05/5881304/kings-notes-slow-starts-concern.html#mi_rss=Kings/NBA

Sounds like it won't be long until Jimmer is the starter and MT is out, as it should be based on talent and production.

"I want to give this group an opportunity before we make changes, but I will also say this starting lineup is not set in stone for 82 games," Malone said of the bunch that scored just 22 points Saturday at Golden State.
Guarded talk – Jimmer Fredette is behind Marcus Thornton and Ben McLemore at shooting guard, but Malone hasn't ruled out going to Fredette if the Kings play poorly.
"Right now, his role is limited, obviously, but that can change with this group in a pretty quick manner, I guess," Malone said.
Thornton is averaging 9.3 points through three games on 37.0 percent shooting. Malone is content to bring McLemore off the bench, and the Kings continue to rave about the rookie's progress.
"We're giving Marcus the opportunity (to start), but the reality is if we continue to struggle, we will not just stay with a lineup to say, 'These are our starters,' " Malone said.
Ugh, I really hope this is just idle chit-chat because the reporter insisted on asking about Jimmer. Thornton hasn't been great, but I don't want to see knee-jerk changes to the lineups based on a small sample of play. Shooters are streaky. Shooters who are learning new offensive sets and focusing on defense are going to be even streakier.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

The article was written by Jason Jones. Rely on it at your peril.

another DNP for Jimmer last night against the Hawks. Had the Kings not come back in the 4th quarter and made a game of it, maybe Jimmer would have been inserted in garbage time again. Jimmer sat on the bend, 3rd from the end. He looked to be interacting with the players he sat next to. In timeouts, he hung to the back. Body language was appropriate to someone who is not playing but wants to play. Would not be appropriate to be the over-enthusiastic cheerleader. I do wonder what Jimmer's place is in the locker room. Whether he has the respect of any players. Maybe yes or maybe no.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
... Body language was appropriate to someone who is not playing but wants to play. Would not be appropriate to be the over-enthusiastic cheerleader...
Why the hell not? Every professional athlete in every sport should want to start. But, if you're not starting, hell, even if you're not even playing, you should be engaged, and encouraging of your teammates. Jimmer Fredette should be a World Champion cheerleader right now, and so should Hamady N'Diaye, and so should Ray McCallum, and whoever else isn't getting playing time.

Mateen didn't get half the love he deserved.

He (they) are cheering no more or less than the other Kings on the bench, from what I can tell. Jimmer should be more demonstrative than his teammates because he is in purgatory?

The dose of reality that's probably right around the corner, is when Ray McCallum starts getting playing time, while our "franchise player" is still on the bench

Status
Not open for further replies.