Jerryd Bayless ?

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nb...-raptors-will-become-unrestricted-free-agent/

A day after trading for point guard Kyle Lowry, the Toronto Raptors today renounced their qualifying offer to guard Jerryd Bayless, making him an unrestricted free agent. SB Nation has the details: “The Raptors still could sign Bayless again, but he is now an unrestricted free agent and can freely sign a contract elsewhere without the Raptors being able to match it. A former first-round pick, Bayless has bounced around the league during his four-year career. He had a breakout season for the Raptors last year when he was on the court, averaging 11.4 points per game as a sixth man while shooting over 42 percent from three-point range. However, various injuries limited him to just 31 games on the year.”

A partner for Tyreke ? For the right price if he doesnt have many suitors its a low risk deal we could make. In saying so however our back court is stacked but it is a situation worth watching i feel

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
No room for him. If we bring in a PG he has to be a clear cut upgrade and a clear cut starter. With Jimmer running point for us in summer league I think the team still hopes he can play some point for us.

Plus, I think IT is better than Bayless. Would be a waste of a roster spot without filling a need imo.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I liked Bayless coming out of highschool, and while he was decent to good in his one year at Arizona. However he left school with everyone wondering just what he was, a PG, or a combo guard? Now if memory serves, he was forced to play out of position at SG because of injuries, and that probably set him back somewhat. But the bottom line is, if were going to add another PG, its has to be someone with experience thats better than what we have right now. We don't need another young PG that hasn't proven anything yet.

Last edited:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I liked Bayless coming out of highschool, and while he had a decent to good in his one year at Arizona. However he left school with everyone wondering just what he was, a PG, or a combo guard? Now if memory serves, he was forced to play out of position at SG because of injuries, and that probably set him back somewhat. But the bottom line is, if were going to add another PG, its has to be someone with experience thats better than what we have right now. We don't need another young PG that hasn't proven anything yet.
Absolutely not, if we sign a FA other than JT and TWill, I want them to be a clear upgrade or we will continue to muddle about as a team. TWill I mention not just because he was with us but I think he might break out. I think he is a great floor leader.

I just agreed if my first sentence needed clarification. :)

With how much salary we have and what we need, why is ANYBODY talking about anything other than signing a quality SF like Kirilenko. That, and amnestying Salmons. That's damn close to ALL WE NEED, for now at least.

This team is no longer at the point where they try out random pieces to strike big. The Kings now have their established pieces and have specific needs to fill on the roster.
Quality over quantity, avoid FA other than SF unless its a clear upgrade like mentioned.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
With how much salary we have and what we need, why is ANYBODY talking about anything other than signing a quality SF like Kirilenko. That, and amnestying Salmons. That's damn close to ALL WE NEED, for now at least.
The Maloofs will never amnesty anyone as it is money down the toilet. Shortsighted, perhaps, but it will be seen as money down the toilet. As to SF, I think we get a SF via trade. We still need to keep a cap cushion to afford resigning Evans and Cousins. We can't simply spend it all and butt ourselves up against the cap max. We'll get there quick enough in a few years. Trading for a SF using trade items such as a guard and a SF will help with the overabundance of bodies we have at certain positions.

In any case, that's what I would do. There are multiple solutions but let's NOT be in a position where we lose Evans and Cuz. THAT might cost the team a few fans.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The Maloofs will never amnesty anyone as it is money down the toilet. Shortsighted, perhaps, but it will be seen as money down the toilet. As to SF, I think we get a SF via trade. We still need to keep a cap cushion to afford resigning Evans and Cousins. We can't simply spend it all and butt ourselves up against the cap max. We'll get there quick enough in a few years. Trading for a SF using trade items such as a guard and a SF will help with the overabundance of bodies we have at certain positions.

In any case, that's what I would do. There are multiple solutions but let's NOT be in a position where we lose Evans and Cuz. THAT might cost the team a few fans.
Just to clarify, which I know you know, we can go over the cap to resign our own freeagents using the Bird exception. That doesn't mean we will, if the owners don't want to spend the money. In Cousins case, I'm fairly sure they will, and the best way to deal with Cousins, is to go the extension route and not let it come down to freeagency. Tyreke is another matter. I think he's on the bubble right now. If he comes in this year and shows great improvement, then they'll probably offer a max contract, or wait till he gets an offer and match it. If not, then I would expect a trade before it comes to that.

I know some can't fathom Petrie trading Tyreke, but he's traded popular players in the past. Walt Williams and Peja both spriing to mind. I know some of you can jump in and justify why both were traded, but thats not the point. The point is, both were very popular, and they were traded anyway. Anyway, to repeat the point, we can go over the cap limit to resign our own freeagents. We can't go over to sign other teams freeagents, unless were using an exception, like a mid level or a trade exception.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Just to clarify, which I know you know, we can go over the cap to resign our own freeagents using the Bird exception. That doesn't mean we will, if the owners don't want to spend the money. In Cousins case, I'm fairly sure they will, and the best way to deal with Cousins, is to go the extension route and not let it come down to freeagency. Tyreke is another matter. I think he's on the bubble right now. If he comes in this year and shows great improvement, then they'll probably offer a max contract, or wait till he gets an offer and match it. If not, then I would expect a trade before it comes to that.

I know some can't fathom Petrie trading Tyreke, but he's traded popular players in the past. Walt Williams and Peja both spriing to mind. I know some of you can jump in and justify why both were traded, but thats not the point. The point is, both were very popular, and they were traded anyway. Anyway, to repeat the point, we can go over the cap limit to resign our own freeagents. We can't go over to sign other teams freeagents, unless were using an exception, like a mid level or a trade exception.
I was factoring in the Maloofs. Otherwise it would be relatively easy.

Na, he's in the same mold as essentially every other guard currently on our team. He's a good player, but not any better than IT, Thornton or Reke

Kingster

Hall of Famer
http://www.slamonline.com/online/nb...-raptors-will-become-unrestricted-free-agent/

A day after trading for point guard Kyle Lowry, the Toronto Raptors today renounced their qualifying offer to guard Jerryd Bayless, making him an unrestricted free agent. SB Nation has the details: “The Raptors still could sign Bayless again, but he is now an unrestricted free agent and can freely sign a contract elsewhere without the Raptors being able to match it. A former first-round pick, Bayless has bounced around the league during his four-year career. He had a breakout season for the Raptors last year when he was on the court, averaging 11.4 points per game as a sixth man while shooting over 42 percent from three-point range. However, various injuries limited him to just 31 games on the year.”

A partner for Tyreke ? For the right price if he doesnt have many suitors its a low risk deal we could make. In saying so however our back court is stacked but it is a situation worth watching i feel
There's no point to this. Another 6th man? We have Salmons as a 6th man, and Thornton who is 6th man incognito. Just don't need another sixth man, especially if he provides nothing the other guys don't provide.

M

Mal

Bayless shot alot at Arizona, but wasn't much of a point guard. In fact, he played shooting guard all but for a short-period of time when the starting point was injured. Three bigs on the team had better a/to ratios....and Bayless was 5th on his own team. He's Evans with much shorter arms ...i.e. no outside shot.