Jawun Evans:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Maybe. If Fox is gone at #5 and people would prefer Tatum or Isaac to Smith then I don't see what PG is left at #10. Possibly Ntilikina but that's not a sure thing.

I think that (and going back and watching NC State games from early in the season - especially that monster Duke game) is pushing me towards DSJ at #5 if Ball, Fultz, Jackson and Fox are off the board.
There's a part of me that really likes Smith, but I can't get past his attitude at times. Maybe I'm making more out of this than I should, but one of my pet peeves is lack of effort. There's an excuse for not being able to jump high, or run fast, but there is never an excuse for lack of effort. Maybe he comes in for a workout, and blows the Kings away with his abilities, and with his interview. . If the Kings are sold on him after that, then so be it. I'll trust their judgement. Believe me, I would happy to be wrong about him.

I agree with you about the situation where we end up drafting a SF at five. It's highly possible that every other PG that's considered a top ten pick will be gone. To say its an epic failure if we don't get one of them, is a bit harsh. You can only draft whose left on the board. You can argue that the Kings should have traded up to get who they want, but that requires finding a trade partner that's willing. And at what price? I know it's not a flashy idea, but there are some PGs that I think can play in the NBA. Of course Jawun Evans leaps to mind first. Not a elite athlete, but has all the tools. Frank Mason was terrific all year long and was the heart and soul of that Kansas team. He belongs in the NBA. Monte Morris who just worked out for us is another highly skilled PG who never turns the ball over. He runs the pick and roll as good or better than any other PG in the draft. I may post a video of him later. I'd be shocked if all three of these guys don't end up on an NBA team at some point.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's a part of me that really likes Smith, but I can't get past his attitude at times. Maybe I'm making more out of this than I should, but one of my pet peeves is lack of effort. There's an excuse for not being able to jump high, or run fast, but there is never an excuse for lack of effort. Maybe he comes in for a workout, and blows the Kings away with his abilities, and with his interview. . If the Kings are sold on him after that, then so be it. I'll trust their judgement. Believe me, I would happy to be wrong about him.

I agree with you about the situation where we end up drafting a SF at five. It's highly possible that every other PG that's considered a top ten pick will be gone. To say its an epic failure if we don't get one of them, is a bit harsh. You can only draft whose left on the board. You can argue that the Kings should have traded up to get who they want, but that requires finding a trade partner that's willing. And at what price? I know it's not a flashy idea, but there are some PGs that I think can play in the NBA. Of course Jawun Evans leaps to mind first. Not a elite athlete, but has all the tools. Frank Mason was terrific all year long and was the heart and soul of that Kansas team. He belongs in the NBA. Monte Morris who just worked out for us is another highly skilled PG who never turns the ball over. He runs the pick and roll as good or better than any other PG in the draft. I may post a video of him later. I'd be shocked if all three of these guys don't end up on an NBA team at some point.
With Smith I wonder how much of his frustration on the court is just how he's wired vs how much is being in a bad situation. He has to own his lack of effort at times, there's no excuse for that, but how different would things have been if he went to Duke or North Carolina? Places where he would have had teammates who could make an outside shot, where coaches stressed defense?

Gottfried's teams were lousy defensively before Smith got there and this season it finally cost him his job.

I think maybe I'm just talking myself into Smith because I think Fox goes top 4 but I don't want Tatum and if nothing else Smith would be the most fun to watch PG the Kings have had since JWill.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
With Smith I wonder how much of his frustration on the court is just how he's wired vs how much is being in a bad situation. He has to own his lack of effort at times, there's no excuse for that, but how different would things have been if he went to Duke or North Carolina? Places where he would have had teammates who could make an outside shot, where coaches stressed defense?

Gottfried's teams were lousy defensively before Smith got there and this season it finally cost him his job.

I think maybe I'm just talking myself into Smith because I think Fox goes top 4 but I don't want Tatum and if nothing else Smith would be the most fun to watch PG the Kings have had since JWill.
Well your right about Gottfried. Glad he's gone. I go back and forth between talking myself into Smith, and then talking myself back out again. I guess my hope is that we don't have to be confronted with the decision. No denying his talent, and if his head is on straight, he could be one of the best to come out of this draft. The fact that I'm torn between so many players shows how talent deep this draft is.

There is speculation that SAS could be looking to add C. Paul this summer in a S&T but before that's possible they would need to clear space. How about Afflalo for P. Gasol and SA's 29th pick? DX has Evans slotted right there.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-drafts-most-underrated-point-guard-jawun-evans/amp/

Chris Paul offense with Patrick Beverly defense? That's what this article says.
I love Juwan Evans and currently have him ranked 15th in this draft but I wouldn't go this far.

First of all, I think Chris Paul is a better defender than Beverly anyway and the advanced stats bear that out, but the bigger point is that I don't see Evans at the Chris Paul level.

That's not a slight to Evans though - Chris Paul is a likely hall of fame player. Evans can be a similar player but I don't think he'll be that good.

I think it's more likely that he has a Darren Collison-like career as a very good backup PG or a serviceable starter. His game isn't all that similar to DC but I think his career arc could be similar. The comp of Speedy Claxton isn't a bad one and while Claxton didn't have a great career, Evans is longer, and excels in the pick and roll which is a huge part of today's game.

If the Kings do pick up a pick from Portland (and/or if they trade back from #10) I think Evans should be a target, especially if they don't land a PG with the #5 pick.

I love Juwan Evans and currently have him ranked 15th in this draft but I wouldn't go this far.

First of all, I think Chris Paul is a better defender than Beverly anyway and the advanced stats bear that out, but the bigger point is that I don't see Evans at the Chris Paul level.

That's not a slight to Evans though - Chris Paul is a likely hall of fame player. Evans can be a similar player but I don't think he'll be that good.

I think it's more likely that he has a Darren Collison-like career as a very good backup PG or a serviceable starter. His game isn't all that similar to DC but I think his career arc could be similar. The comp of Speedy Claxton isn't a bad one and while Claxton didn't have a great career, Evans is longer, and excels in the pick and roll which is a huge part of today's game.

If the Kings do pick up a pick from Portland (and/or if they trade back from #10) I think Evans should be a target, especially if they don't land a PG with the #5 pick.
Agreed the Chris Paul comp is too much. Everyone seems to love Evans though, I wonder if he doesn't go a little higher than expected.