It's early- what do you think of this starting lineup for game one?

Discussion in 'Kings Rap' started by pshn80, Jul 17, 2017.

1. pshn80

pshn80 Well-Known Member

All true but the emphasis is on the win, the competive attitude which is so important to the team and to each player and to the development of their competitive attitude. To start off with the strategy of laying the best until our winning % drops say below 40 then lay the second stringers. No a good way to bring a team along. Certainly within the parameters I describe he coach uses his discretion on all of this. The art of doing a good caching job.
  2. The_Jamal

The_Jamal Well-Known Member

Either way, the only vet I see getting big minutes is Hill around 30, Temple around 25. Kosta-ZBo-Carter will hover around 15-20 MPG, regardless if they start or come off the bench.
  3. Gary

Gary Well-Known Member

Looks about right... I would probably give Bogdan more time than Jackson in the beginning since he has more experience.
  4. dude12

dude12 Well-Known Member

No Temple?
    lwc and LPKingsFan like this.
  5. DesertFox

DesertFox Well-Known Member

There are only 240 min in a game, so...

Hill 28 Fox 20
    Hield 28 Temple 20
    Bogdan 20 Carter 20 Jackson 8
    ZBo 24 Skal 24
    WCS 28 KK 20

Giles starts the season inactive working with the Sac trainers. Mason, Richardson, and Papa rotate playing in the G league and collecing splinters on the bench.

Hopefully by midseason Papa proves himself ready for backup mins, so they can deal Koufos and get Giles time in the G league.
    King in England and KINGSonFIRE like this.
  6. lwc

lwc Well-Known Member

Good catch. As much of a utility player as he is, every 1-3's minutes can be cut by 3-4 and it would get him 20-24.
    dude12 likes this.
  7. lwc

lwc Well-Known Member

I love the precision!
  8. Gary

Gary Well-Known Member

I always end up doing the same thing.. Leaving someone out or giving a rookie too much playing time. Jackson will probably be the odd man out early in the season or until an injury forces coach to play him more.
    dude12 likes this.
  9. King Baller

King Baller Well-Known Member

I think JJ will get minutes because he puts the ball in the hoop.
    VF21 likes this.
  10. kingdivac

kingdivac Active Member

Yes I think he looks better than I gave him credit, and he may turn out to be one of the best value picks out of the draft. Kings need a couple players to create their own shot, and he fits the bill. I'll be following and stewing on passing up on Juwan Evans. Have a feeling he's going to be a solid PG and possibly better than Mason.
  11. bajaden

bajaden Well-Known Member

When last I checked, last season, when the season ended, Willie was the starting center. So all he would be doing is returning to the starting job he already had. To start Koufos over Willie would make little sense to me.
    Telemachus and km23 like this.
  12. bajaden

bajaden Well-Known Member

I don't think you can compare what Joerger did last year to what might happen this year. Well, you can, but I think it's an entirely different scenario. Last year we were trying to make the playoffs and Cousins was our star. This year, Cousins is gone and we're into a youth movement. The season should be about developing our young players. To do 0therwise at this point makes no sense. I have to believe that Vlade and Joerger have discussed this and are on the same page. Doesn't mean you don't cut a young players minutes from time to time to get his attention, if necessary. But the focus should be on the young players.
    Gguod and VF21 like this.
  13. ApolloDaGod

ApolloDaGod Member

I think by the end of the season the starting 5 will be Fox, Buddy, Carter, Skal and Willie. Im pretty sure we will make a trade for a viable small forward before the deadline. Whats awesome is that Demarcus Cousins is going to sign back with us :) mark my words.
  14. lawlman91

lawlman91 Well-Known Member

WCS / Randolph / Temple / Hield / Hill
  15. pshn80

pshn80 Well-Known Member

I hope not.
    mac and ApolloDaGod like this.
  16. kingdivac

kingdivac Active Member

You don't think Jackson will be the starter at some point or a viable small forward? I do, and was pleasantly surprised by his play. I think he's already 7th or 8th man with his offensive ability alone. I'd surprised if he doesn't play at least an aggregate quarter a game early on.
    pshn80 likes this.
  17. Čarolija

Čarolija Well-Known Member

That is all correct.

However, the post that I was quoting said that you pick best player at each position and that is your starting 5 and you roll with those guys trying to get the win. You are right that player development will be the key for the coming season but that in itself means that young players would get more minutes than they necessarily would if the team was trying to make the play offs. This further goes against the claim in the post that I was quoting to start off with.

While the young players we have have nice potential and nice future, it is highly unlikely that they will be better than some of the veterans ahead of them straight out of the gates. However, those guys will still get development minutes.
  18. The Hammer

The Hammer Well-Known Member

I don't think there's been one duplicate opinion on the starting lineup so far. Amazing. Goes to show we actually have a pretty deep team.

Btw Carter won't be starting at the end of the year. He may get a starter role early on and let the kids get their sea legs, but keep in mind he may only be here one year, so by the end of the year you can bet they will be experimenting with some younger players starting as a way to look towards next year. Carter could well return as an assistant coach next year, or, heck maybe he comes back as a player again (off the bench). His durability is impressive.
    pshn80 likes this.
  19. pshn80

pshn80 Well-Known Member

If you pick next season's first game and say the 15th and 30th I think the starters for those games or any one of those could be:

PG- Hill, Fox, Mason
    SG- Hield, Bogdanovic, Temple
    SF- Carter, Jackson, Bogdanovic, Temple, Richardson
    PF- Randolph, Labisserie
    C - Koufos, Cauley-Stein

As Hammer says we have depth. At least competitively and on paper. It does suggest a very interesting season.
    VF21 likes this.
  20. Kingsfan23

Kingsfan23 Well-Known Member

Irving
    Hield
    Temple
    WCS
    Koufos

;)
  21. Noble

Noble Active Member

Hill/Temple/Bogdan/Skal/WCS
  22. The Effort Police

The Effort Police Active Member

PG: Hill
    SG: Hield
    SF: Temple
    PF: Randolph
    C: WCS

I'm actually hoping for Skal over Randolph, but I'm not holding my breath. I wouldn't be against it completely, and Zbo will play the same number of minutes off the bench or starting and can slide over to C anyway.

However, the Koufos train needs to crash and it needs to crash now. There is no worth to starting him at this stage of WCS' career. He's in his third year, time to see what he is. Koufos is a backup C; if your teams starts him it has problems.

Some people say "depth", I say "bad team". Not being able to tell who the clear starters are is usually a negative over a positive.
  23. VF21

VF21 #KingsFansForever Staff Member Contributor

I couldn't possibly disagree more. In the case of the Kings at this point, not being able to tell who the clear starters are when you have EIGHT new players can't possibly be construed as a negative...or a positive for that matter. What it is primarily is an indication that the Kings are clearly rebuilding and most of the starting positions are up for grabs, as they should be at this point in time.
  24. The Effort Police

Sure it can. We've seen this before. We've talked about bench depth before where no one could figure out who the starters were with previous years teams. Those teams weren't good.

This is a bad, bad, bad team next year. As it should be for a rebuilding process. It's going to be an interesting season alright, but not because they're actually going to be competitive.
    CelticsFan likes this.
  25. pshn80

pshn80 Well-Known Member

"Depth" and "bad team" have nothing to do with each other. We absolutely have competitive depth as we go into the new season. And in no way is our team a bad team. It may not win a lot of games but "bad team"? No way!
    VF21 likes this.
  26. The Effort Police

They do when depth is all you've got going for you and you've got no stars with your best players being low-end starters at this stage of their careers. No one on our team would be more than a third option on an even average team right now.

Sooooo.... a bad team? That's how I would define it.
  27. whozit

whozit Well-Known Member

Fixed it for you. You can insist on your half empty glass or in your case, empty glass, but I'll choose the half full one not knowing exactly what we have or how they will be played. Until then, one or both of us is wrong.

And since I watch for enjoyment I'll think positive until proved otherwise.
    pshn80 and VF21 like this.
  28. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I hope they let the youngins (+Hill and possibly Temple) start and the vets close.

I don't think the idea is to let players like Vince and Zach play big minutes early and get worn down by the end of the season.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  29. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

You're underrating George Hill. He was more than a 3rd option for the Jazz playoff team last year.
  30. jcassio

jcassio Well-Known Member

If I thought they were going to be a bad bad bad team next year, I wouldn't bother watching, But I'll be watching every game.
    pshn80 and VF21 like this.