Israeli press says Casspi may be traded to the Knicks in 2 days

Link would not help much (Article in Hebrew...).

I will try to summarize something later (after we beat those-who-shan't-be-named)

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
"So it's a done deal then?"

"Sure, just let us use Omri for one more game before we give him to you."

This never happens. When trades happen, they usually happen immediately.

Well, there's a good reason for there not being a trade yet if it's for someone who can't be traded until the 15th, or whatever the date the restriction on free agents is.

That said, I hope he isn't traded.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Well, there's a good reason for there not being a trade yet if it's for someone who can't be traded until the 15th, or whatever the date the restriction on free agents is.

That said, I hope he isn't traded.
Which obviously means we're getting stuck with the zombie of Joakim Noah aren't we?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Giant grain of salt when home country media says things like this. Its sensationalistic, and plays to domestic audiences with something the media might want to happen -- Omri to city with huge Jewish population. Except Omri himself has said he wants to do it in Sacto as long as he's got an improtant role to play. And of late, he has.

The article is refering to "reports" from non-disclosed "sources in the US"...

The essence of the article:
Quote (sort of...):
Knicks may sign Omri Casspi in 3 days time [2 days now], say US reports

Starting December 15 NBA teams would be able to trade players who signed contracts in the summer,
and reports in the USA say that NYK is interested in adding Casspi to their ranks.

After not getting much playing time earlier in the season, Casspi is back in Joerger's rotation in the last few games,
and has improved his stat-line (they ellaborate on his numbers).

The Knicks are currently in the 4th place in the EC, with a nice 14-10 record... (more about how well the Knicks are doing lately).

Casspi's agent has already made it clear [previously?] that he feels Omri doesn't get enough court time... (details about Omri's minutes)
The reports say that the Knicks are interested in adding a player with size and good outside shooting,
and Casspi is expected to fit-in greatly into the team's game.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The article is refering to "reports" from non-disclosed "sources in the US"...

The essence of the article:
Quote (sort of...):

Not a lot of information there unfortunately. Essentially boils down to, "The Knicks need more good players. Omri is a good player. Wouldn't it be nice if Omri was on the Knicks?"

To be fair, that's how most articles on the internet go so it's not exactly surprising.

All this is just echo of talks that were some three week ago - when Casspi was out-of-rotation and price tag was 2nd round picks or not-inportant small-minutes bench player. Since then Casspi moved up to rotational player to 6th man. And 6th man price is entirely different.
Knicks are looking for better backup for Melo and somebody who can play small-ball PF with Porzingis as Center. They would like Casspi for cheap for this role, but they are not in that much need to give up any valueable assets: they're still in rebuilding so they are not trading 1st round picks and they're 14:10 - so they will not move important rotational player - certainly not for somebody who will be UFA next summer

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
All this is just echo of talks that were some three week ago - when Casspi was out-of-rotation and price tag was 2nd round picks or not-inportant small-minutes bench player. Since then Casspi moved up to rotational player to 6th man. And 6th man price is entirely different.
Knicks are looking for better backup for Melo and somebody who can play small-ball PF with Porzingis as Center. They would like Casspi for cheap for this role, but they are not in that much need to give up any valueable assets: they're still in rebuilding so they are not trading 1st round picks and they're 14:10 - so they will not move important rotational player - certainly not for somebody who will be UFA next summer
To be fair, Phil Jackson hasn't exactly shown himself to be above trading a first round pick for an expiring bench player as a GM.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
It's pretty hard to come up with an attractive trade to the Knicks involving Casspi.

I guess you could say Casspi for Kuzminskas and a future first round pick? They can't really give us anybody who makes less than Kuzminskas because of salary matching. They aren't letting go of Porzingas or probably Jennings. Carmelo and Rose are way too high-priced. They aren't trading Lee for, say, Casspi and Afflalo. I want no part of Joakim at this point. The Lance Thomas deal is too long for a role player, and he can't be traded until Jan. 15th anyway. That leaves Kuzminskas and O'Quinn. I doubt the Knicks care to trade O'Quinn for Casspi as he's kind of their only low-post toughness, and we don't really need that with Cousins in the fold (also, an O'Quinn/Casspi deal could happen now, we wouldn't have to wait for December 15th).

So it's Kuzminskas or nothing, and since Kuzminskas is a step down and has an extra year attached to his deal, there would absolutely have to be a draft pick coming back. An unprotected 2019 to supplement the pick we sent to Philly?

K

KingMilz

Hopefully for Lance Thomas or even better O'Quinn than we can actually play effective big bully ball.

K

KingMilz

or
It's pretty hard to come up with an attractive trade to the Knicks involving Casspi.

I guess you could say Casspi for Kuzminskas and a future first round pick? They can't really give us anybody who makes less than Kuzminskas because of salary matching. They aren't letting go of Porzingas or probably Jennings. Carmelo and Rose are way too high-priced. They aren't trading Lee for, say, Casspi and Afflalo. I want no part of Joakim at this point. The Lance Thomas deal is too long for a role player, and he can't be traded until Jan. 15th anyway. That leaves Kuzminskas and O'Quinn. I doubt the Knicks care to trade O'Quinn for Casspi as he's kind of their only low-post toughness, and we don't really need that with Cousins in the fold (also, an O'Quinn/Casspi deal could happen now, we wouldn't have to wait for December 15th).

So it's Kuzminskas or nothing, and since Kuzminskas is a step down and has an extra year attached to his deal, there would absolutely have to be a draft pick coming back. An unprotected 2019 to supplement the pick we sent to Philly?
The Knicks might really want to develop Hernangomez who has been super promising and has a relationship with Zinger going back to there teenage days, and O'Quinn and Cousins could work a lot like Z-BO/Gasol in particular with O'Quinn passing ability O'Quinn skillset and presence on the floor is massive upgrade over Kosta.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Hopefully for Lance Thomas or even better O'Quinn than we can actually play effective big bully ball.
the Knicks giving up O'Quinn is wishful thinking IMO. I'd say Lance Thomas is more of a realistic scenario or even Justin Holiday, if this is even true, which I have yet to believe.

K

KingMilz

the Knicks giving up O'Quinn is wishful thinking IMO. I'd say Lance Thomas is more of a realistic scenario or even Justin Holiday, if this is even true, which I have yet to believe.
Why he's been in and out of the rotation this year (untill his recent success and due to Noah being hurt) and all of last year and for some reason despite completely being better than current Noah they refuse to play him big minutes and Willy Hernangomez looks like a potential starting C in the near future who as I mentioned played with Zinger in Europe. He's not exactly a young buck either I don't think it's wishful thinking at all if they are looking to add a long range shooter who can play next to Melo/Zinger and to free up time for WHG. Also if the Knicks plan on playing either Melo @PF more or Zinger @C more than it becomes a very big possibility.