israeli media: Casspi asked for a trade, 3 teams interested - DEBUNKED

According to several articles in the israeli media, SF Omri Casspi talked today, Saturday 11.12.16, with Sacramento Kings team officials and asked to be traded as soon as possible.
According to the article, 3 teams are interested in a trade: Toronto Raptors, Boston Celtics and New York Knicks.
It is also said, that Casspi is dissapointed with his new status in the team and the fewer minutes that he plays this season and asks to leave immediately.
Another reason mentioned for his will to leave the Kings is that this is his "contract year" which is critical to him staying in the NBA in the future.
The last sentence of the article says that Casspi may already leave the Kings in the next 4 weeks.

link: (in hebrew, I couldn't find an english one yet)
http://nba.sport5.co.il/articles.aspx?FolderID=403&docID=229911&lang=he

Last edited:
According to several articles in israeli media, SF Omri Casspi talked today, Saturday 12.11.16, with Sacramento Kings team management and asked to be traded as fast as possible.
According to the article, 3 teams are interested in a trade: Toronto Raptors, Boston Celtics and New York Knicks. It is also said, that Casspi is dissapointed with his new status in the team this year, he's not satisfied with his role in the team and the fewer minutes that he plays this season and asks to leave immediately. Another reason mentioned for his will to leave the Kings is that this is his "contract year" and is critical to him staying in the NBA in the future.
The last sentence of the article says that Casspi may already leave the Kings in the next 4 weeks.

link: (in hebrew, couldn't find an english one yet)
http://nba.sport5.co.il/articles.aspx?FolderID=403&docID=229911&lang=he
Can't really blame him. It's his contract year and he's not playing much. The Kings ought to be looking to trade just about anyone on this team that isn't in the long term plans so they can finally get serious about rebuilding.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Disappointing but not surprising.

Casspi was a very valuable part of the team the past two seasons and is now behind both Gay and Barnes and fighting with Tolliver for backup PF minutes.

He also took a discount contract to stay with the Kings which makes him but hard to trade without packaging him with another player.

With Gay, Casspi, McLemore, Collison, Lawson and potentially Afflalo & Tolliver poised to be free agents after the season it really feels like the Kings were rolling the dice on things coming together and working out but with the option to trade Cousins, blow it all up and start over.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
He also took a discount contract to stay with the Kings which makes him but hard to trade without packaging him with another player.
I think there's a bit of flexibility there. We can trade him to any team far enough under the cap without getting any players back (Nets, Nuggets, Pacers, T'Wolves, Thunder, Sixers, Suns, Jazz) and if we are trading with a capped team, for a one-to-one swap we can take back anywhere between $1.909M and $4.545M, which is a decent range.

The problem is that I'm not really seeing a whole lot of "fit" in that salary range on the rumored teams (Toronto, Boston, New York).

The last time Casspi asked for a trade and after he left, he nearly ended up out of the league... be careful what you wish for Casspi.

On the other hand, I can definitely understand his predicament. I hope a resolution is reached that is beneficial to both parties.

I hope we manage to keep him (and keep him happy).
He was one of the bright spots on the team, in every aspect, for the last 2 years.
A great guy.

I get it. It's a tough situation, not being able to play a key role on your contract year...

If he walks, I'll be still rooting for him, wherever he plays (In all games but one... :))

Lol no one wants to be here....except for Cousins
No, that's not it. Casspi DOES want to be here. He's a home boy.
He's just afraid to lose his market value, since it's his contract year.

Perhaps one solution could be if the Kings sign him right now for a new 3-year deal,
(nothing fancy, especially with the new sallary-cap scale. some 6-7m a year would work).
Can they do that?

Last edited:
This is baffling.

Hey. I've got an idea - if Casspi is concerned about his market value, then why is he tanking it by playing like an absolute SCRUB?!

If he wants more playtime or someone to want to trade for him, why doesn't he make a damned three?!

Casspi had some solid games a few games ago and then right to the bench again. Vlade really needs to help his coach out and consolidate. The way Joerger is running his rotation is going to KILL whatever chemistry the team has. You can't play someone two games then sit them so someone else can play. It's a rookie coaching mistake. Take the options away Vlade.

I have been thinking that this may happen. Not because Casspi wants it, but because the Kings would have used him as a filler in another trade. I think the basic reason for this situation is that Casspi does not fit Joerger's system. Because Joerger will obviously spend a long time as the Kings coach, Casspi clearly realized that his window with the Kings has just about closed. I have nothing but respect for Casspi, because he clearly considers the Kings as his "alma mater". He would probably settle for just about anything to continue to play with the Kings. However, he is clever enough to understand the situation. Casspi is also quite emotional. This kind of situation is enough to hurt his confidence and that is something that a 3-point shooter can't have. He simply wants an opportunity to continue in the league and that opportunity does not seem to be there with the Kings. Great guy and he was such a significant part of keeping the team going when things were not going well. He played very well during the last two years, better than anybody expected. I can't forget the 3-point duel with Steph Curry, when other players were not "available". I wish him only the best in his further endeavors in the NBA or beyond.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Yeah, I saw that, and typically I would just ignore it because home country sports sources for NBA guys are frequently very high strung and dramatic about their native players.

BUT, there was one point given that would be very true from a tactical sense:

Another reason mentioned for his will to leave the Kings is that this is his "contract year" which is critical to him staying in the NBA in the future.
Omri resigned with us last year at a well below market deal. And of all our players, he's the one that seemed best suited to thrive due to Karl's system. Basically had his career moments/years for Karl. And so if he had continued to get those minutes and time and production, he would be entering free agency next year as a 10+ ppg 25min type player with 3pt shooting ability, and in the new NBA that's a good way to get paid a ton of money.

So ignoring the home country drama press for a moment, there's a 100% good reason why Omri might very well want out, and out quickly, that has nothing to do with drama, not liking guys, the coach, the record or anything else. And that reason would be:

The difference between inconsistent work at the back end of the rotation, vs. finding a team where he can be a major component and gets lots of minutes and shots could literally be worth 10s of millions of dollars to him. And while tactically it might have made sense to wait around and see if the Kings would trade Rudy and open up those minutes here, with Rudy playing so well Omri has a huge incentive to want to get to a new team where he can play a featured role and put up numbers. And its got nothing to do with winning -- in fact from Omri's perspective it might be better to play for a bad team that can give him the role he needs for his pocketbook than to sit on the bench of a good team.

Yeah, I saw that, and typically I would just ignore it because home country sports sources for NBA guys are frequently very high strung and dramatic about their native players.

BUT, there was one point given that would be very true from a tactical sense:

Omri resigned with us last year at a well below market deal. And of all our players, he's the one that seemed best suited to thrive due to Karl's system. Basically had his career moments/years for Karl. And so if he had continued to get those minutes and time and production, he would be entering free agency next year as a 10+ ppg 25min type player with 3pt shooting ability, and in the new NBA that's a good way to get paid a ton of money.

So ignoring the home country drama press for a moment, there's a 100% good reason why Omri might very well want out, and out quickly, that has nothing to do with drama, not liking guys, the coach, the record or anything else. And that reason would be:

The difference between inconsistent work at the back end of the rotation, vs. finding a team where he can be a major component and gets lots of minutes and shots could literally be worth 10s of millions of dollars to him. And while tactically it might have made sense to wait around and see if the Kings would trade Rudy and open up those minutes here, with Rudy playing so well Omri has a huge incentive to want to get to a new team where he can play a featured role and put up numbers. And its got nothing to do with winning -- in fact from Omri's perspective it might be better to play for a bad team that can give him the role he needs for his pocketbook than to sit on the bench of a good team.
I don't have other source of information for this other than the Israeli media, all I wrote was simply a translation of the main parts of the article. I have no way of checking if the information is inflated or exaggerated.
But it is a reliable source, "sport5.co.il", the main sports website and sport TV channel in Israel, and it was also mentioned in other main media websites as well.
It's hard to imagine it is all made up, the issue is there, even if maybe dramaticized.

Bricklayer

The problem is that I'm not really seeing a whole lot of "fit" in that salary range on the rumored teams (Toronto, Boston, New York).
Might be able to find something by adding in one or more of the other holdover players from last year falling out of the back of the rotation; Ben and WCS.

Changed coaches and systems again, held over 6 players. Two are thriving, one figures to be ok (DC), but the other three are looking like they are yesterday's style/news, and by the end it may be really just 3 holdovers.

Bricklayer

The only player that I like from those 3 teams that would realistically come is Norman Powell. Maybe we can get him.
Kyle O'Quinn might be of some interest if Joerger likes his bigs physical, but his salary is a little too much to match directly with Omri's $3.9mil to Omri's $2.9mil). We'd have to expand the deal and play games, or wait until more people on our roster became tradeable.

I hope this is not indicative of locker room turmoil. With our history it would be irresponsible to simply dismiss that possibility. With all these guys rumored to be wanting out at some point (Collision , Ben, Rudy,WCS, Gay,and now Casspi) you cant think that Cuz's attitude has nothing to do with it. Im a big proponent of Cousins and defend his attitude as passion at every turn but I cant help but connect the dots of his worsening attitude and on court pouting and not getting back on seemingly every play now having a part in these guys wanting out. I understand theres no evidence that directly supports my thought but as some people who have played some form of organized hoops you can put yourself in the shoes of some of these players. Would you want to play with a guy who acts like that all game? especially if he isn't carrying you to wins (not that hes expected to do it but if he is going to behave like that he better be producing wins) if your losing with someone acting like that it WILL wear on you, and thats just basketball for fun, these guys livelihood depends on us winning. This may sound a bit harsh but their mindset might be why play with a high usage career whinny loser when theres 31 other teams out there?

With all that said its stilll early in the season and we have shown signs of good successful basketball and Cuz calmed down a little in the last game. Even with his issues he is still a no doubt franchise player and we must try to make it work with him because it very well could be another decade in the lottery without him. If we win and do it often I assume these whispers of players wanting out will die down. But as we kings fans know very well these trade rumors and upset players comes with the territory of losing.

Welcome to NBA Millennial Edition. Where every week a player asks or demands a trade because they aren't happy with their role. They're more than happy to be overpaid and sign a guaranteed contract, but rarely care about living up to said contract or waiting things out if things don't go as planned.

Kind of sad but it is buisness, Sacramento has been a good place for Casspi, he admits it, he wanted to play here, even agreed to lower his two year contract salary in order to stay and play for the Kings, he thrived under coach Karl and seems to fade under coach Joerger.

He is not to be blamed, it is a contract year and he wants to show that he is still valuable and can still be a positive and effective asset for almost any team in the league, he is also a great locker room guy, he adds to the team chemistry, we saw it last year as he was probably the Kings fans favorite last year, always play with heart and desire.

The reality under coach Dave Joerger has been pretty rough on Casspi and he is not able to display his capabilities since Joerger doesn't really trust Casspi with his gameplan, it's just the way it is, and that's OK, this is the brutal reality for a mediocre player in the NBA, Casspi has an 8 years long of experience in the NBA, where he arrived in places like Cleveland where he was very close to find his NBA dream comes to an end, but he was able to save it. I hope that he will be traded to a team which will be able to wisely use his strengths, the way the Kings did last year.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I hate to see Omri go but I wish him well. Perhaps a 2 for one deal could be worked out that leaves us in a position to bring in a stray piece like Farmar or Stephenson that might fit a need.

Last edited:
I can see why Omri would want out. Hell 10s of millions of dollars are on the line. I always suspected that Omri would be one player that would struggle in Joerger's offense. It just does not suit him.

Kings would be stupid not to explore trade options not just for Casspi but for every other player that does not fit the system that we are looking to run. Joerger is here for the long stay and as such we should be looking to add players that fit. Players come and go but finding a good coach who has the ear of most of your best players is hard thing to do.

Omri and even WCS still have some good value out there in the trade market. Hold on to these assets for too long and you have yourself Ben McLemore.

Omri has DENIED this story:

"Omri Casspi: 'Zero Truth' to Trade Request Rumors" via @BleacherReport App:

4:39 PM - 12 Nov 2016
0 replies0 retweets0 likes
Hoopshype also said yesterday that the Kings have no interest in trading WCS. Who knows, regardless this team should make a move or two. We have players that are better suited on other teams and visa versa. Moving Omri or WCS could be subtle moves that make a nice difference.

Cant blame him. Holding down the bench for a team that may lose more than they win looks bad in a contract year.

Its a shame though. Its refreshing when a player is as enthusiastic about being a part of the town and team as Omri is....just a bad fit.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Cant blame him. Holding down the bench for a team that may lose more than they win looks bad in a contract year.

Its a shame though. Its refreshing when a player is as enthusiastic about being a part of the town and team as Omri is....just a bad fit.
If only he were as enthusiastic when it came to not turning the ball over or not shooting some of the worst lay-ups in the NBA this season.

Love Omri but this season, he's been competing with Willie and Ty Lawson for the title of Kings player most likely to give me a heart attack.