Is Vlade worse than PDA?

Why does Vivek keep hiring these GMs without any experience???? Rookie owner + Rookie GMs are never a good combination. Why can't we just get a real GM? Vlade is in way over his head
He has made every decision based on how his public perceptio will be. Hired Karl because fanbase was clamoring for it, "big name" signing will make him look good. Hired Vlade because he is a darling in Sacramento. Fanbase defended Vlade to the death even though everyone with knowledge knows he is not qualified for his position. Ironically the move that made the fanbase turn on him(trading Cousins) is the one move the experts believe needed to happen, just that he didnt handle it well. Like there are people here who defended Vlade after the pick swap Stauskas trade lol. That trade was absolute garbage and it looks worse the farther we are removed from it.

He has made every decision based on how his public perceptio will be. Hired Karl because fanbase was clamoring for it, "big name" signing will make him look good. Hired Vlade because he is a darling in Sacramento. Fanbase defended Vlade to the death even though everyone with knowledge knows he is not qualified for his position. Ironically the move that made the fanbase turn on him(trading Cousins) is the one move the experts believe needed to happen, just that he didnt handle it well. Like there are people here who defended Vlade after the pick swap Stauskas trade lol. That trade was absolute garbage and it looks worse the farther we are removed from it.
i couldnt wrap my head around how some people were defending that trade. so many things wrong with it. losing our sg we just picked, losing the future pick, the swaps, just for capspace when everyone and i mean EVERYONE knew sacramento wasnt a destination for free agents. small markets build their teams from the draft and trades...smh

Something that came across my mind was this: Was Vlade planning to trade Demarcus all along and was just waiting for the right time to do it? His draft moves with selecting PapaG and Skal suggesting that he was preparing for life without Demarcus Cousins.

Im excited to see willie, richardson and buddy all get good minutes. This will be a 3 year process to see who really won in this trade, BUT at the moment the Pelicans are. To be continued...

Personally, I care(d) quite lot about the Kings soon-to-be record-breaking playoff drought. I really can't understand how team management could decide to sabotage this season and blow it up when we finally had a good shot at ending that drought. Now there is no end in sight. I would have preferred team management to think like this:

Option 1: Resign Cousins to a new contract. Would that have been too expensive? In that case, option 2: trade him now for equal value, players that might take us to the playoffs in 2017 or 2018. Nobody offered equal value? Well in that case (option 3) keep him, so we can make the playoffs in either 2017 or 2018 and end this damned drought! Start from scratch after that if you have to.

But no, they give him away for nothing, and the drought continues, and again we're supposed to pin our hopes on drafting and player development even though this team is clearly among the worst in the league on both fronts and this front office has already twice willfully destroyed fans' playoffs expectations just when they started to grow.

K

KingMilz

Personally, I care(d) quite lot about the Kings soon-to-be record-breaking playoff drought. I really can't understand how team management could decide to sabotage this season and blow it up when we finally had a good shot at ending that drought. Now there is no end in sight. I would have preferred team management to think like this:

Option 1: Resign Cousins to a new contract. Would that have been too expensive? In that case, option 2: trade him now for equal value, players that might take us to the playoffs in 2017 or 2018. Nobody offered equal value? Well in that case (option 3) keep him, so we can make the playoffs in either 2017 or 2018 and end this damned drought! Start from scratch after that if you have to.

But no, they give him away for nothing, and the drought continues, and again we're supposed to pin our hopes on drafting and player development even though this team is clearly among the worst in the league on both fronts and this front office has already twice willfully destroyed fans' playoffs expectations just when they started to grow.
I'm always amazed at peoples ability to forecast the future on here you just should seriously do some investment in stocks or lotto tickets and buy the team yourself from Vivek.

I'm always amazed at peoples ability to forecast the future on here you just should seriously do some investment in stocks or lotto tickets and buy the team yourself from Vivek.
We can't forecast the future, but of course fans will make educated and not so educated guesses.
Let's assume for a moment, that trading Cousins will have the promised effect of improving chemistry and professionalism. Let's assume the Boston game wasn't a fluke.
We still have the problem, that from here on out teams will no longer gameplan for DMC, when playing the Kings, but will focus on different things. Everyone playing off off the attention Cousins has drawn now needs to step up big time.
Buddy Hield was the 3rd option in NOLA's starting unit. Now he is a guy teams gameplan for. That's a huge change for everyone on our roster.
I'm curious how this will play out.

K

KingMilz

We can't forecast the future, but of course fans will make educated and not so educated guesses.
Let's assume for a moment, that trading Cousins will have the promised effect of improving chemistry and professionalism. Let's assume the Boston game wasn't a fluke.
We still have the problem, that from here on out teams will no longer gameplan for DMC, when playing the Kings, but will focus on different things. Everyone playing off off the attention Cousins has drawn now needs to step up big time.
Buddy Hield was the 3rd option in NOLA's starting unit. Now he is a guy teams gameplan for. That's a huge change for everyone on our roster.
I'm curious how this will play out.
I don't think anyone on this forum (that I have seen) expects us to be better (for the foreseeable future) and that Boston game based on history was a complete fluke as were the wins over GS/Cavs. We don't have a single above average vet on the team this was all about a fresh start and we got it.

I don't think anyone on this forum (that I have seen) expects us to be better (for the foreseeable future) and that Boston game based on history was a complete fluke as were the wins over GS/Cavs. We don't have a single above average vet on the team this was all about a fresh start and we got it.
In this case I don't understand your response to QoooooQ.

K

KingMilz

In this case I don't understand your response to QoooooQ.
Claiming the team was 100% making the playoffs based on history (educated guess) and the fact our team is banged up and Cousins is 1 tech away from getting suspensions to me is ridiculous. How can you sabotage a season when your 9 games under 500. with a roster with zero potential aside from WCS and Cousins......there's nothing to sabotage the roster/management and play have all been terrible.

Claiming the team was 100% making the playoffs based on history (educated guess) and the fact our team is banged up and Cousins is 1 tech away from getting suspensions to me is ridiculous. How can you sabotage a season when your 9 games under 500. with a roster with zero potential aside from WCS and Cousins......there's nothing to sabotage the roster/management and play have all been terrible.
True. Play has been terrible. But also improved over the season. And I would make the educated guess, that we would have had a better chance to make the Playoffs this season with Cousins than without him. ;)
I agree mostly when it comes to upside and potential. But this is on Vlade and a direct result of his stupid FA and trade decisions.
This is also my main issue with the DMC trade. We can start over, but we start over with Vlade as the GM and Vivek as the owner. Based on the history of their decisions, I don't think this will work.

K

KingMilz

True. Play has been terrible. But also improved over the season. And I would make the educated guess, that we would have had a better chance to make the Playoffs this season with Cousins than without him. ;)
I agree mostly when it comes to upside and potential. But this is on Vlade and a direct result of his stupid FA and trade decisions.
This is also my main issue with the DMC trade. We can start over, but we start over with Vlade as the GM and Vivek as the owner. Based on the history of their decisions, I don't think this will work
I think one of us was preaching this the last 2 years ;)

Forget worse than PDA. Divac is up there with Billy king and Isaiah thomas. If you want it broken down in the simplest way possible, he basically traded demarcus cousins, nik stauskas, marquise Chriss, an unprotected first round pick (likely to be a high lottert), and a pick swap for Kosta koufos, buddy hield, Georgios papagiannis, Skal labissiere, and a protected first round pick (likely to be in the teens). Vlade has been an epic disaster.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
M
Forget worse than PDA. Divac is up there with Billy king and Isaiah thomas. If you want it broken down in the simplest way possible, he basically traded demarcus cousins, nik stauskas, marquise Chriss, an unprotected first round pick (likely to be a high lottert), and a pick swap for Kosta koufos, buddy hield, Georgios papagiannis, Skal labissiere, and a protected first round pick (likely to be in the teens). Vlade has been an epic disaster.
Might as well add Rudy Gay, Darren Collison, and Omri Casspi to the outgoing list too because we're not getting anything for Rudy and Darren. That's a pretty good team right there if you just add up everyone he shipped out or allowed to expire.

Here's another questionable decision.

We are going to be in development next season, probably not going to need maximum cap space.

So for the Barnes waive we could of just paid him next season too.

But they stretched him.

So

When a team waives a player signed under the 2011 CBA, it can spread the remaining guaranteed salary (and its accompanying cap hit) over twice the remaining length of the contract, plus one year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_salary_cap

This season
Next season

2 seasons total.

So twice the remaining total is 4 seasons, plus one extra season.

That's 5 years....

This season it doesn't matter much, but now for 4 seasons after this we have a cap hit.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Madelyn Burke: Cousins says he told Anthony Davis “come on over here to SAC” the last time they played each other prior to the All-Star break
– via Twitter MadelynBurke

Impossible with this front office. They couldn't get him help in 6-7 years so he had to try to do it himself.
Come now. Players do this kind of thing all the time. Cousins has openly lobbied to play with Davis, Wall, Bledsoe all in the course of this season and he pandered for Rondo before that. Wade openly recruited LeBron and Bosh to play in Miami. Shoot, some of the Clippers players LOCKED DEANDRE JORDAN IN HIS HOUSE so he couldn't sign with the Mavs. The list goes on and on.

Dudes want to play with other good players and their buddies. To make more out of it than that is silly. If you want to argue we did a poopooty job of putting players around Cousins, then try pointing at the rosters rather than at boys being boys. Naismith knows there's plenty of fodder there to work with, and it at least legitimizes the argument.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
When a team waives a player signed under the 2011 CBA, it can spread the remaining guaranteed salary (and its accompanying cap hit) over twice the remaining length of the contract, plus one year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_salary_cap

This season
Next season

2 seasons total.

So twice the remaining total is 4 seasons, plus one extra season.

That's 5 years....

This season it doesn't matter much, but now for 4 seasons after this we have a cap hit.
That's not quite right, because the current season doesn't get stretched. That means the stretch goes over the next three seasons ((2*1)+1), this year is unaffected.

Also, while the payment is stretched, the team has the option of not stretching the cap hit, and we don't know what they have decided to do there.

Grant Napear logic, and by then we will have made an even more disastrous move to even remember mentioning this.
I don't think it's any question. The Pelicans r***d us in this trade. Grant's talking head and Vlade will make us believe that this is the best we could do, but that's BS. Vivek wants to be the Warriors. He overvalued Hield. Vlade wanted Cousins gone. He pounced on the first chance he got and screwed us over.

That's not quite right, because the current season doesn't get stretched. That means the stretch goes over the next three seasons ((2*1)+1), this year is unaffected.

Also, while the payment is stretched, the team has the option of not stretching the cap hit, and we don't know what they have decided to do there.
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2016/08/stretch-provision-deadline-for-201617-salary.html

It looks like they passed the deadline. August 31

So that does mean 3 years after this instead of 4.

I thought it came at the trade deadline.

Grant Napear logic, and by then we will have made an even more disastrous move to even remember mentioning this.
Well thats how you run a team unless youre lucky and get lebron creating super teams for you, or unless youre a genius like Greg Poppavic. In reality we had injuries, its was either push for 8th and stay mediocre. Or realize stuff isnt working, wipe the table clean and rebuild....again. we obviously werent going anywhere, the rudy injury changed the entire outlook for this team. Even though personally i think we played better without him. Im willing to give Vlade 2 more seasons after this to see what we end up with.

What if Richardson, willie, skal and buddy all blossom now? Wouldnt that be awesome? Instead of "oh give it to boogie cuz hes the best ever"

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Something that came across my mind was this: Was Vlade planning to trade Demarcus all along and was just waiting for the right time to do it? His draft moves with selecting PapaG and Skal suggesting that he was preparing for life without Demarcus Cousins.
But his mortgaging the future suggests he was going all-in on Cousins. It was an inconsistent and incoherent strategy.

Well thats how you run a team unless youre lucky and get lebron creating super teams for you, or unless youre a genius like Greg Poppavic. In reality we had injuries, its was either push for 8th and stay mediocre. Or realize stuff isnt working, wipe the table clean and rebuild....again. we obviously werent going anywhere, the rudy injury changed the entire outlook for this team. Even though personally i think we played better without him. Im willing to give Vlade 2 more seasons after this to see what we end up with.

What if Richardson, willie, skal and buddy all blossom now? Wouldnt that be awesome? Instead of "oh give it to boogie cuz hes the best ever"
The problem you are missing in all this is that NBA is Superstar league. Always has been and always will be. That will NEVER change. I hear Vlade dribbling on about building for a championship, even if I believed him, I do not believe for a second that he has the ability to do that. He just let his superstar go for 20 cents of the dollar. He will soon find out just how ****ing hard it is to get a genuine superstar for a small market team, let alone a superstar who is loyal to the bone and doesn't want to be anywhere else. It will be a rude shock for him and everyone else in the organization.

Not to mention the deceiving, dishonest way he carried this whole thing out. Don't think for a moment that the most powerful player agent in the NBA will ever forget this. Don't for a moment think that stars and agents around the league will forget Vlade practically pointing a finger of blame at Cousins and stressing that culture matters while at the same time saying that the thing he learnt was not to trust agents. Well guess what Vlade?! You are going to have to deal with all those agents again. You are going to want to sign someone who matter at one point in time and in no way will you be given a fair chance to do it.

With all due respects to Skal, Willie, Malachi, Buddy and numerous other nothing that 3PT shooters that Vivek gets excited over, none of them and I mean NONE will be franchise level talent. Some will be out of the league, some will be good solid NBA players and some might even end up being all-star level players but NONE of them will be franchise players that you build genuine contenders around. NONE!

The problem this franchise faces, and it is clear to anyone that doesn't stick their head into the sand, even if you draft the next franchise level talent, that is as good, even better than Cousins, those same agents that you took a swing at will want to move those players away from laughing stock of a franchise into a larger market to maximize the earning capacity. That word of Vlade's that many believed until a few years ago is no longer worth a burnt crumpet. No agent trusts him. No player trusts him because just a couple of weeks ago he came out and publicly stated he is not trading DeMarcus and then he turns around and trades him for a very average package. He did not do his job in creating a market for Cousins, hell he didn't even pick up or returned calls to other teams that wanted a chance to better the NO offer. It's incompetence that is not forgotten easily in the industry. For as long as Vlade and Vivek are calling the shots here, this franchise is doomed. The only good things at the moment about this franchise is the coaching staff headed by coach Joerger, maybe Ken Catanella, and the business opertations staff headed by Granger.....but lets be honest even there, the franchise is cashing on on the genuine love of the fans for this team. Fans are holding up their end of the bargain and have for decades but the franchise is abusing that and making one **** up after another on the basketball operations side.

Cousins can't play on a winner they say. Lets see how he goes in NO. I am willing to bet that him and AD and Jrue will form one heck of a team and before you know it, the "trend" and the new "direction" that basketball is headed in will no longer be the small ball but the highly skilled twin towers that can do anything. Guess what?! We just gave away one of those twin towers for sweet **** all and we are rightly getting ridiculed for it world wide. Vlade is even being thought of as a fool back in Serbia for what he did. Anyone with some acumen can see that this is one monumental **** up for a franchise that could not afford to have any more of those yet they took it up a notch in how to **** up more. It's like the franchise is trying to outdo itself.

Last edited by a moderator: