Is Tyreke better or worse since his rookie year?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
One request? PLEASE keep it civil. Most of you have a lot of basketball acumen. I've seen it over the years and it's always impressed me. I betting you guys can debate this without it turning into a hatefest or pissing contest. Please don't let me down. I'm depressed enough already. ;)

Now, play nice.

Maybe so, but I don't think he really got worse or better. He's just sort of been the same IMO.
Yep, and here's what I see from Evans who I like and have more high hopes for:

He still brings ball up to slow IMO to get into the offense.

He still fades away on virtually all if not 100% of his outside shots - not necessary!

He still has not developed fundamentally sound jump shot - but some small progress.

He is not much of a floor leader - but he's young and maybe that will come later.

He seems to miss more easy layups than ever with consistancy.

I'm still looking for a few improvements but basically it all seems stalled.

Yep, and here's what I see from Evans who I like and have more high hopes for:

He still brings ball up to slow IMO to get into the offense.

He still fades away on virtually all if not 100% of his outside shots - not necessary!

He still has not developed fundamentally sound jump shot - but some small progress.

He is not much of a floor leader - but he's young and maybe that will come later.

He seems to miss more easy layups than ever with consistancy.

I'm still looking for a few improvements but basically it all seems stalled.
cosigned. =/

Typically speaking, how good is the 2nd best player on a team that wins 30% of its games?
The problem I see with that question is that you don't see the forest from the trees!

Just our of interest, how good is the 2nd best players on youngest team in the league that is in the middle of the genuine re-build?!

Tyreke has not improved since his rookie year. He falls in the category of players (plenty of players in this category) who had great rookie years based on raw talent, then opposing teams figured them out. He makes stupid basketball decisions (not unlike the rest of the team) and dribbles the ball into the entire opposing team and turns the ball over. I hate to say it, but he's just not going to be the franchise player we thought he was going to be. Trade him now while you can still get someone decent in return.

He hasn't had the right coaching. He's only 22 so there's still a lot of room for improvement. He's still developing that J. At this point, I've accepted the fact that he probably wont be our franchise player/superstar, but can still be a good player. The franchise player is Demarcus.

quite honestly i see almost no improvement from his rookie season. His jumpshot is just as bad, his decsion making is erratic(will make a great play once then will drive into a wall of 3 players and turn it over the next). His defensive effort is erratic as well, at times it looks like he is the best perimeter defender in the game, the next he looks like mike bibby. He just doesn't seem to have that "fire" that alot of great players have.

Tyreke's Journey must be incredibly difficult IMO. He comes in, has a breakout year and is declared the saviour, he's marketed to death, and, lets face it he's never appeared comfortable being the "face of a franchise." He comes into his second season with people saying he'll be an all star the next lebron and that we'll be in the playoffs off the back of his play, he's injured and struggles so he's lambasted.

He's then tasked with totally changing his game to be a distributor, something he's willingly attempted, but clearly isn't his natural game, but he's done it without complaint. All the while people are expecting him to be the next Derek Rose. He's now being asked to defer to a rookie, which, he seems to have no problem with. I wonder what other "Franchise" players would do all this crap without crying.

Lets face it this guy is an incredible talent, you don't put up numbers like him if you're not. But you can't blame him because he doesn't adhere to your (general term) overblown expectations.

Maybe this is his ceiling? If it is then so be it, not everyone is as good as D-Rose.

Tyreke's Journey must be incredibly difficult IMO. He comes in, has a breakout year and is declared the saviour, he's marketed to death, and, lets face it he's never appeared comfortable being the "face of a franchise." He comes into his second season with people saying he'll be an all star the next lebron and that we'll be in the playoffs off the back of his play, he's injured and struggles so he's lambasted.

He's then tasked with totally changing his game to be a distributor, something he's willingly attempted, but clearly isn't his natural game, but he's done it without complaint. All the while people are expecting him to be the next Derek Rose. He's now being asked to defer to a rookie, which, he seems to have no problem with. I wonder what other "Franchise" players would do all this crap without crying.

Lets face it this guy is an incredible talent, you don't put up numbers like him if you're not. But you can't blame him because he doesn't adhere to your (general term) overblown expectations.

Maybe this is his ceiling? If it is then so be it, not everyone is as good as D-Rose.
Give the guy a jumpshot and his effectiveness doubles, seriously. Your analysis is spot on though - not everyone is as good as D-rose, and not everyone needs to be in order for a team to win. Let's just give the guy this season and the coming offseason to show that he has the desire to be a real star in the league. He needs to start playing with more energy though, because he's not good enough to just go "chill" for now. I wanna see him running up and down the court with the rest of the guys.

Well said. I will admit, I was one of the people hoping he would be the next D-Rose. He was a high draft. If he can maintain 18-6-4 numbers while playing the 2-guard, I will be fine.

One thing that is good for the Kings to learn is that he is not a Franchise PG. He is a very good player that needs to be on the floor, but Sac-town knows that in this draft they must either draft a true PG or get the best available player.

In my eyes, he hasn't progressed or regressed. He's pretty much the same player he was in year 1 which isn't great but it's not bad either. Reke had to carry that team his first year hence his 20/5/5. Now, don't get me wrong those stats are AMAZING. However, the team he was on that year almost forced him to get those stats. Throw in DMC and MT and opportunities go down for that kind of statline. Also throw in the fact that his coaching has been inconsistent, he has been moved from PG to SG to SF now and I have a feeling almost anyone would have a hard time developing their game.

I'm beyond ecstatic that he is on our team. There is NO ONE in the NBA who wouldn't want Reke. Throw him in with DMC and the foundation is there to beast for years to come... just keep your expectations reasonable and not at 20/5/5.

I agree with Purplehaze. Evans needs to develop the straight up j from beyond 18-20 feet to be effective consistently. Forcing the dribble into the teeth of the opposing defense drives us all crazy and it happens at inopportune times. How can a potential all-star get by with no LEFT HAND??? His defense is erratic and he plays in slow motion at times with bursts of effort. I am a third generation Husky and like IT having watched him for 4 years. Maybe Tyreke needs to come off the bench until he gets his level of effort up. MT23 and IT might work against some teams. I agree with more Greene at SF. I have been impressed by only one player on a regular basis and that is obviously DMC. His desire is at a very high level. I marvel at what great hands he has. He is a better shooter than Tyreke by far.

Like i said earlier just because someone projects him as a potential all star, it doesn't mean he is.

It's like saying "how can Jimmer, a potential defensive player of the year keep getting beat so easily?!?!" Ok it's not quite like saying that, but you get the picture.

in offensive 'crunchtime' i can't remember the last time he's had the ball. Not that we're ever close enough for it to matter, but generally we'll go down low to Cuz or it'll be M.T taking a shot.

again something he's deferred, without a peep.

gunks

Hall of Famer
One could wonder if Reke would recieve as much criticism if this was his rookie year.

Two years of Westphal did absolutely NOTHING for the development of our young players, may even have been a setback considering the type of me-first offense he encouraged.

Reke has low BBIQ, but this franchise hasnt really helped him get smarter on the court.

Now with coach Smart, Reke is being taught some things and having to change/fix his game. Something that should have happened his rookie year. The result is that we're seeing some very rookieish ups and downs from him, the type of wild inconsistancy you'd expect from a 1st year player with loads of talent and potential. His learning curve has been altered and delayed by the "coaching" he's received here...The "Westphail effect (TM)".

It sucks...But we're going to have to be a bit more patient to see what Reke can give us. As frustrating as its been, I havent given up hope yet.

Wonder how it would go if we still had Rick here all these years. (Reke probably wouldnt have gotten any PT infront of Martin :p )

Going from a horrible coach to a coach trying to figure it out with the addition of DMC and MT, you would think Reke would've declined a lot more than just a few points and couple rebs/assists a game.

Rome wasn't built over night and this is new to everyone. Everyone needs to find their roles and stick with it consistently, but with the coach changing up lineups and the supporting cast not contributing, it's hard to see how anyone can improve in this kind of situation.

We do have one thing and that is time. All these guys are young and when we do finally make a legit run for the playoffs and hopefully contend, only a select few from this roster will be on that team and you best believe that Reke will be one of them.

K

Kingsguy881

Worse than his rookie year.

I have absolutely zero confidence in him in crunchtime.
His lack of bball IQ is crippling his development.
That would actually matter if you were the coach or even involved in some capacity in the organization.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Going from a horrible coach to a coach trying to figure it out with the addition of DMC and MT, you would think Reke would've declined a lot more than just a few points and couple rebs/assists a game.

Rome wasn't built over night and this is new to everyone. Everyone needs to find their roles and stick with it consistently, but with the coach changing up lineups and the supporting cast not contributing, it's hard to see how anyone can improve in this kind of situation.

We do have one thing and that is time. All these guys are young and when we do finally make a legit run for the playoffs and hopefully contend, only a select few from this roster will be on that team and you best believe that Reke will be one of them.
There are obviously a hundred ways to discuss this topic but this one note incorporated a lot of issues and I like it. Even if any individual might disagree with any part of it, the last paragraph HAS to be factored in as we moan and groan about this team and its players.

I really expected his defense to be further along than it is at this point. I've been vocal about his not being a PG and his poor shooting, but I never really doubted his defensive potential, so his letdown on that end is actually the biggest letdown for me. He isn't focused on the defensive end and it may be a BB IQ problem or a "does he care" problem. I don't know.