Is there any possible way to get CJ Mccollum?

I'll be honest and say that I lean more towards starting over and trading both Gay and Cousins but IF we decide to keep Cuz and resign him for the max we have to have another great piece to play with him. This is a duh statement but to this point in time I've found it hard to imagine how we get that piece without drafting it and I havent felt optimistic overall based on our history of not attracting free agents.

Would Portland spit in our face if we offered WCS, Collision, and a combination of whatever else we can to get McCollum? If we had CJ running point with Temple starting at the 2 I think we'd be a really dynamic team along with Cuz. With those two stars in the mix for the next 3-5 years I believe more free agents would consider us as well.

Too wishfull?

I realize on most teams McCollum is probably someone you don't trade but that Portland backcourt is getting destroyed defensively this season, ranking dead last, and they may consider trading one of him or Lilard. I just don't see them trading Lilard.

It would require an over pay to trade with Portland since McCollum is so established. Since the Kings are the same Division that would not be a good idea to build their team up with excessive assets. Better to find another young guard such as Payne or Rozier and roll with that as a plan.

I'll be honest and say that I lean more towards starting over and trading both Gay and Cousins but IF we decide to keep Cuz and resign him for the max we have to have another great piece to play with him. This is a duh statement but to this point in time I've found it hard to imagine how we get that piece without drafting it and I havent felt optimistic overall based on our history of not attracting free agents.

Would Portland spit in our face if we offered WCS, Collision, and a combination of whatever else we can to get McCollum? If we had CJ running point with Temple starting at the 2 I think we'd be a really dynamic team along with Cuz. With those two stars in the mix for the next 3-5 years I believe more free agents would consider us as well.

Too wishfull?
Portland wouldn't trade CJ McCollum for any of our pieces except for DeMarcus. McCollum is a real top 10 SG...and I know he can play PG too. To get that type of talent, we'll need something besides a disappointing 2nd year player and an expiring contract.

I think Portland would be willing to trade CJ, but just not for any of our pieces.

He is worth a lot in today's nba and there is no way Portland trades him for anything less than a win now talent to line up with Dame's prime. Even if we include multiple firsts I doubt they would even answer the phone.

He would be perfect on this team he is undersized at the 2 but perfect as the playmaking 1 with a guard like Temple to check opposing PGs.

I'm not sure about McCollum but Portland might be ready to shed some salary if the season gets away from them. They have a lot of money due to players like Crabbe, E. Turner and M. Harkless. I would make an offer for our expiring players.

We missed that boat. Had a chance to draft the best shooter coming out of college basketball that year in McCollum but we got all googely eyed for an "athletic" guard who was supposed to know how to shoot (but still hasn't really figured that out).

I agree with others, not enough assets to obtain him unless we are trading DMC.

I'm not sure about McCollum but Portland might be ready to shed some salary if the season gets away from them. They have a lot of money due to players like Crabbe, E. Turner and M. Harkless. I would make an offer for our expiring players.
Their payroll is one of the highest in the league. I'm not saying this trade for McCollum is realistic or can be done with the assets we have but maybe just maybe if Portland continues to slide, they start to think about trading him. Probably not to us but I really think he's the perfect fit with Cuz and a defensive minded guard like temple. You then trade Rudy for a 3 and d player and we really have something to be excited about. Jmo

Everyone clamoring for Payne is confusing because he hasn't proven anything and would require more long term team development. Cousins needs talent around him now. How can anyone say Payne would for sure help us win this year or next? He's just another in the long line of hopefulls that we all like to think is going to push us into the playoffs.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Not happening. Portland might be realizing that those two can't coexist because they both need the ball in their hands. I still don't see him being shipped out for this season anyway. Maybe if Portland falls into the top 6 or 7 in the lottery, they might consider making a move for a draft pick.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Everyone clamoring for Payne is confusing because he hasn't proven anything and would require more long term team development. Cousins needs talent around him now. How can anyone say Payne would for sure help us win this year or next? He's just another in the long line of hopefulls that we all like to think is going to push us into the playoffs.
CJ is not obtainable by us without moving Cousins which we won't do, Payne is an obtainable player using Gay who isn't returning to us

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Not happening. Portland might be realizing that those two can't coexist because they both need the ball in their hands. I still don't see him being shipped out for this season anyway. Maybe if Portland falls into the top 6 or 7 in the lottery, they might consider making a move for a draft pick.
First, I don't think Portland will trade either Lillard or McCollum, and I don't think, "there's only one ball to go around", is Portland's problem. Their problem is no interior defense or scoring. Right now their doing it by committee. Plumlee isn't a bad defender, but he's not an offensive threat. In my opinion, they don't have a legit starter at either the center or PF position.

Turner has been a disappointment and both him and Harkness can't shoot the three worth a damm. Crabbe's defense has been less than good. Leonard is good at irritating other centers, but not too good at actually defending them. To sum it up, Portland has two young assets and I seriously doubt that they want to trade one of them. You'd probably have an easier time going after Bradley Beal from the Wiz. There are rumors of discontent there.

If I'm Portland, I'd be talking to Philly about Noel...

I've found it hard to imagine how we get that piece without drafting it
This is pretty much true of most teams. Thing is, it's much easier to get a McCollum type player than it is a DeMarcus Cousins which they already have. They can often be found throughout the 1st round and sometimes in the 2nd round. The Kings just haven't drafted well other that Isaiah Thomas and they let him walk. Perhaps they'll finally get a bit lucky and Bogdanovic will develop into a very effective guard.

With regard to getting a player like that in free agency, it's not impossible if the team starts showing stability and improvement. Hypothetically, let's say the Kings win 40+ and get into the playoffs this season. Suddenly, they will look like an upstart team and a bit more attractive. You get one decent FA and pile on another successful season and perhaps you're able to get that impact FA.

But the odds are better for it to occur via the draft and trades. However, the Kings circa 1998 - 2005 were built more so via FA and trades.

They drafted Peja.
They traded Richmond for CWebb.
They signed Vlade as a FA.
They drafted JWill.
They traded Big Nasty for Christie.
The signed Bobby Jackson as a FA.
They signed Scot Pollard as a FA.
They traded JWill for Bibby.
They drafted Hedo.

There's the starting 5 and key bench players from that team. They only drafted 2 of them. The rest came via FA and trades. But two of the trades leveraged players the Kings drafted (Big Nasty and JWill).

Their payroll is one of the highest in the league. I'm not saying this trade for McCollum is realistic or can be done with the assets we have but maybe just maybe if Portland continues to slide, they start to think about trading him. Probably not to us but I really think he's the perfect fit with Cuz and a defensive minded guard like temple. You then trade Rudy for a 3 and d player and we really have something to be excited about. Jmo

Now who is the owner of the Portland Trailblazers again????

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
First, I don't think Portland will trade either Lillard or McCollum, and I don't think, "there's only one ball to go around", is Portland's problem. Their problem is no interior defense or scoring. Right now their doing it by committee. Plumlee isn't a bad defender, but he's not an offensive threat. In my opinion, they don't have a legit starter at either the center or PF position.

Turner has been a disappointment and both him and Harkness can't shoot the three worth a damm. Crabbe's defense has been less than good. Leonard is good at irritating other centers, but not too good at actually defending them. To sum it up, Portland has two young assets and I seriously doubt that they want to trade one of them. You'd probably have an easier time going after Bradley Beal from the Wiz. There are rumors of discontent there.

If I'm Portland, I'd be talking to Philly about Noel...
Bradley Beal? come on now...they are slowly turning the ship over there. It's all just a matter of time. Wall and Beal are perfect compliments to one another, Porter is coming along as well. I see them building their core around those three players.

Portland's offseason has been dreadful to say the least, signing Turner and giving Crabbe/Leonard those contract extensions.

I just think that if we are in fact building around cousins we have to be bold at this point to get what we truly need to be competitive in the west. I'd rather strip the team of everyone except Cousins to get another big piece, then rely on some add on free agents to fill in the holes temporarily. Two true stars on one team brings everyone else's talents (or lack of) to a higher level. I also think that making the playoffs hastens development for younger players so even if we don't have high draft picks in upcoming years the young talent we do have gets thrown to the fire and gains more confidence early in their career.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

I don't think anyone is claiming Payne to be a savior. But he's a relatively promising PG who is on a rookie deal for two more seasons and might be available in a trade for Rudy who has already made it clear he wants out and is a FA this offseason.

It's a gamble on a young player that could potentially be had for a guy who is almost certainly going to sign elsewhere and leave the Kings with nothing.

McCollum is out of the Kings reach unless it's a trade for Cousins which defeats the purpose of dealing for him.

McCollum was who I wanted the Kings to draft, primarily because I thought he'd compliment both Tyreke and Boogie. Of course Evans signed with New Orleans that offseason.

The Kings have had lottery picks since drafting Cousins and whiffed badly for several years on a row which is why Sacramento has one superstar and a revolving cast of role players who have never been good enough to win when Cousins is out.

Now we have a roster of pending free agents and mediocre talents and I'm not sure how the team improves significantly.

I don't think anyone is claiming Payne to be a savior. But he's a relatively promising PG who is on a rookie deal for two more seasons and might be available in a trade for Rudy who has already made it clear he wants out and is a FA this offseason.

It's a gamble on a young player that could potentially be had for a guy who is almost certainly going to sign elsewhere and leave the Kings with nothing.

McCollum is out of the Kings reach unless it's a trade for Cousins which defeats the purpose of dealing for him.

McCollum was who I wanted the Kings to draft, primarily because I thought he'd compliment both Tyreke and Boogie. Of course Evans signed with New Orleans that offseason.

The Kings have had lottery picks since drafting Cousins and whiffed badly for several years on a row which is why Sacramento has one superstar and a revolving cast of role players who have never been good enough to win when Cousins is out.

Now we have a roster of pending free agents and mediocre talents and I'm not sure how the team improves significantly.
All good points.

Too wishfull?
Any trade with us for CJ would need to include DMC, or yes, they would spit in our face (understandably so). Even with Cuz in the mix, the trade would be difficult with Portland's contract situations. I think the Blazers are pretty much stuck with what they have. Too bad. I would love to have one of those premier guards.