Is there a beef between CWebb and the Kings? (split)

A little bit off topic ... what happened with the Kings and Webber? It looks like he is the only player from that era that has no business with the team?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
A little bit off topic ... what happened with the Kings and Webber? It looks like he is the only player from that era that has no business with the team?
"A little bit off topic"? Seriously? That's like saying a discussion of drinking your favorite beverage on the rocks or straight up is "a little bit off topic" from a discussion of the sinking of the Titanic.

"A little bit off topic"? Seriously? That's like saying a discussion of drinking your favorite beverage on the rocks or straight up is "a little bit off topic" from a discussion of the sinking of the Titanic.
Well, yes, absolutely seriously. Since people discussed Scot, that team and how they played and the other guys etc., I realized that Webber is the only guy who is not involved with the Kings now at any capacity (yes, while I was reading this particular thread).
My life has been very busy with a new city, new job, new child etc., so I could have missed smth, therefore just asked the question. Yes, it was not about Pollard and his interview, that's why I said it was off topic to avoid someone like you telling me why I asked this question here. I did not want to create a new thread for that and just decided to ask it here, hoping that may be someone will answer here or PM me. It is a pretty quite thread, so I saw no harm.
If you have nothing to say or do not want to answer, just skip it. Take it easy and just save your energy. It is not like I have been spamming all over the thread with it.

Kinda deserves its own thread, but not many people here - including me - want to truly accept the Webber dis. To me he is the greatest of the Sacramento era, but we hung a dirty jersey in the rafters, he did not step up huge in the various "here we stay" campaigns (a few rally appearances only - he was not emphatic from his TNT perch when the chips were down), Shaq's an owner and he isn't, and he blew off the Arco finale. How he missed the Arco finale is just beyond me - scheduling conflicts my ass. Lets see if Dan Fouts misses the final game festivities in Jack Murphy stadium because he has to broadcast a game the next day or whatever. It is bullcrap.

Something isn't right there but I don't like to linger on it too long in my own mind because I think HE put us on the map ... anybody who thinks it could have happened without him is kidding himself. Having a blue chip ringer of a PF really really really helps.

Hope CWebb and the Kings reconcile but it really seems like there are hard feelings. Hope I'm wrong.

Kinda deserves its own thread, but not many people here - including me - want to truly accept the Webber dis. To me he is the greatest of the Sacramento era, but we hung a dirty jersey in the rafters, he did not step up huge in the various "here we stay" campaigns (a few rally appearances only - he was not emphatic from his TNT perch when the chips were down), Shaq's an owner and he isn't, and he blew off the Arco finale. How he missed the Arco finale is just beyond me - scheduling conflicts my ass. Lets see if Dan Fouts misses the final game festivities in Jack Murphy stadium because he has to broadcast a game the next day or whatever. It is bullpoopoo.

Something isn't right there but I don't like to linger on it too long in my own mind because I think HE put us on the map ... anybody who thinks it could have happened without him is kidding himself. Having a blue chip ringer of a PF really really really helps.

Hope CWebb and the Kings reconcile but it really seems like there are hard feelings. Hope I'm wrong.
Thanks for the reply! I thought I missed something obvious but apparently (or at least probably) something happened behind the scenes. I refuse to think that Vlade and CWebb have some beef with each other, they were too close as teammates. May be between our new owners and him. Lets hope we will either find out what happened or, better, someone will fix it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well, yes, absolutely seriously. Since people discussed Scot, that team and how they played and the other guys etc., I realized that Webber is the only guy who is not involved with the Kings now at any capacity (yes, while I was reading this particular thread).
My life has been very busy with a new city, new job, new child etc., so I could have missed smth, therefore just asked the question. Yes, it was not about Pollard and his interview, that's why I said it was off topic to avoid someone like you telling me why I asked this question here. I did not want to create a new thread for that and just decided to ask it here, hoping that may be someone will answer here or PM me. It is a pretty quite thread, so I saw no harm.
If you have nothing to say or do not want to answer, just skip it. Take it easy and just save your energy. It is not like I have been spamming all over the thread with it.
It was a joke, dude.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't quite understand it either.

Wasn't he trying to get investors together to buy the team from the Maloofs at one time?
His group was in competition with Vivek's. IIRC, Webber tried at one time to get into the winning group but was not successful.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
For what it's worth, the word around the ol' water cooler is that yes, there is a beef between the organization and Webber. The fact that he AND Mitch weren't at the finale wasn't an accident. Webber is pissed that he wasn't offered an ownership stake when he desperately wanted to be a part of the group in any way. They told him no, and then let Mitch invest. Or at least opened the door. Then the way they unceremoniously booted Mitch after Mullin left sealed the deal. Both will have absolutely zero to do with the team now. Nothing.

For what it's worth, the word around the ol' water cooler is that yes, there is a beef between the organization and Webber. The fact that he AND Mitch weren't at the finale wasn't an accident. Webber is pissed that he wasn't offered an ownership stake when he desperately wanted to be a part of the group in any way. They told him no, and then let Mitch invest. Or at least opened the door. Then the way they unceremoniously booted Mitch after Mullin left sealed the deal. Both will have absolutely zero to do with the team now. Nothing.
thanks for the insight VF.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Do you know more about the Mitch story? I know he's no longer part of the ownership herd. He hardly seemed like a trouble maker no matter what his role.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
It probably doesn't help that Vivek was fawning all over Shaq and he's now a part owner of the team he famously dubbed the "Queens" when CWebb and company played his Lakers in the early 2000s (you know, the team we all still hate). It actually doesn't bother me terribly that Shaq is a part owner now, former NBA players are all one big family in a way (except you Rick Fox...) but it does bother me that Vivek publicly courted Shaq to tutor his franchise big man instead of CWebb. I don't know that it bothers Chris too, but I don't see how it wouldn't. Keep it in house. Not to mention, Chris seems like a much closer comparison in terms of personality and skillset to DeMarcus than Shaq does. And it would probably benefit all of us if Chris got him to set some assist and turnover goals for the next phase of his career instead of point and rebound goals.

The good news is is that the Golden State infiltration contingent has been (mostly) removed from the front office and replaced with a lot of former Kings greats. With Vlade, Peja, Bobby, and Doug all spending a lot of time around the team these days, hopefully they bring CWebb back into the fold eventually. He's always been a bit of a prickly personality (not unlike DeMarcus) and a guy that can hold a grudge for decades (he wouldn't participate in the recent Fab 5 documentary, for example) so I think he just needs to feel wanted. And if anyone can accomplish that, it's Vlade.

Last edited:
I remember a quote from Vivek - can't find it now but maybe someone else remembers it too. It was in an article about disgruntled minority owners and Vivek said "if anybody is unhappy I will cut them a check tomorrow". Maybe Mitch took him up on it?