Is it time to hope for losses?

Believe me, I don't like watching this team lose either. But, isn't the future our primary concern now?

Should we be "rooting" for better draft position at this point? Karl is (thankfully) gone regardless.

It's already one of the weakest drafts in a while. There's a massive drop-off after the first few picks.

Right now we are the 7th worst team...sandwiched between the Knicks/Nuggets and Pelicans.

Minnesota sits 4.5 losses behind. I don't think we'll sink that far, but...

Should we be rooting for the Knicks, Pelicans, Nuggets etc...?

I'm really hoping someone like Kris Dunn or Buddy Hield fall to us.

*Again, I hate to be in this situation. I won't use the word "tank'", but still...

You hope to develop the young guys. That means WCS, Curry, McLemore.

I've personally been in tank mode though for a bit now. Simple philosophy as being in the mix or best pick for me. It drives some people crazy, but I've been dealing with frustration for 30 years now and want to win a championship. To me that means a better pick over a moral victory.
Nobody remembers a moral victory except for the fans of the team.

*2nd edit: Let me add this -

Although moral victories may be nice, they aren't practical. Am I going to look back at a 2016 moral victory when, potentially, the player picked ahead of us is a perennial All-Star?

I doubt it.

Last edited:
K

KingMilz

You don't have to hope they will come automatically the Kings motto is stats over wins.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I still don't know how to respond, because I don't understand the question you are asking.

It actually seems like you're asking two different questions and, I'll be honest, I have no interest in answering the first one. I am looking for clarification on the second one.

This team will always break your heart if you have hope.

Playoffs are long gone so if we hope for losses, they will do the opposite to ruin our draft position.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
No. The time to start building a culture of wining is ALWAYS today no matter what day it is. Contrary to popular belief the lottery is a suckers game unless your team has no serious assets and you are starting from the ground up. We need a ready now high quality SG, not one more project. To even hope to attract the player(s) and the coach we need we have to show that THIS roster had both the talent and heart, and frankly this season has done little to support either claim. It is why trading DMC is tantamount to burning your house down to prepare for a remodel. Whatever pick we get is likely to be at best a 2-3 year project and we don't have that kind of time. In fact the real value of a high pick could well be it's trade value. Every year we go through this "Tank for the win" discussion and after a few decades of having it each year I have grown more convinced than ever. Last year we did well and brought in the first keeper we have gotten since Evans (unless you count IT at #60, which is a better argument for NOT tanking and scouting better) and can we say say WCS made much of a difference this year? You all know I love Willy and can already hear people saying :but Karl did not play him, or give him two years..." none of that changes the reality that he did NOT impact the team much, and very very few rookies ever do. We have one year to get it together and if we don't then all the "Trade Cuzz" and "Blow it All Up" and "Tank for a Pick" folks will all get their wish and there will be no debate. DMC will want out along with most of the other vets and we will be resigned to trying to piece together a squad from young picks and guys with no other options and this will be the case for years to come until some of those pics develop into mature players. Meanwhile DMC, Rudy, Rondo, Caspi, Collison and WCS in his turn will likely all walk or demand trade out of here.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I didn't become a fan to root for losses.

I became a fan because I love basketball and in 1985 I could start rooting for a local team instead of the Boston Celtics.

I'm the kind of fan who doesn't worry about the future or the draft. I want to go to a game (or watch at home) and see my team WIN. I want to enjoy the camaraderie with other fans of like minds. If my team doesn't win, I can still walk away content as long as I see effort. A close game to me is scary, exciting, energizing and incredibly fun to watch.

Kings fans have bought into the idea of losing now to be better in the future for far too long and what has it gotten us? Absolutely jack squat.

People who actually hope the Kings lose totally confound me. I cannot possibly imagine how you could go to a game or watch at home and hope the team you root for fails. It's just not in my DNA.

This is a professional sport. It exists to entertain. If the team isn't winning and the fans are willing to accept that and actually "hope for losses" then it's not something I think I could continue to enjoy. Hope springs eternal for me, but it's hope that I will once again be able to watch my beloved Kings without drama, without subtext, without fear. I just want to see basketball played well by some of the best in the world. I honestly don't think that's too much to ask for.

I didn't become a fan to root for losses.

I became a fan because I love basketball and in 1985 I could start rooting for a local team instead of the Boston Celtics.

I'm the kind of fan who doesn't worry about the future or the draft. I want to go to a game (or watch at home) and see my team WIN. I want to enjoy the camaraderie with other fans of like minds. If my team doesn't win, I can still walk away content as long as I see effort. A close game to me is scary, exciting, energizing and incredibly fun to watch.

Kings fans have bought into the idea of losing now to be better in the future for far too long and what has it gotten us? Absolutely jack squat.

People who actually hope the Kings lose totally confound me. I cannot possibly imagine how you could go to a game or watch at home and hope the team you root for fails. It's just not in my DNA.

This is a professional sport. It exists to entertain. If the team isn't winning and the fans are willing to accept that and actually "hope for losses" then it's not something I think I could continue to enjoy. Hope springs eternal for me, but it's hope that I will once again be able to watch my beloved Kings without drama, without subtext, without fear. I just want to see basketball played well by some of the best in the world. I honestly don't think that's too much to ask for.
Well lack of effort certainly is not entertaining, nor is poor coaching or poor results. But I hope you agree on youth development and maybe perhaps getting decent looks at people who may potentially be on the trading block come off season is useful at least.

I like to view what we have honestly, go over contract options, attempt to see maneuvers for progress.

So I still enjoy observing regardless of team status in the standings, but without any pressure of let down really once its pretty obvious we are out of it. In the 90's I was more like you were because the crowd was still hopping, we had Mitch and the team played hard. After the first taste of the playoffs I wanted much more than that. I'll take years of misery with hope it is directed to the bigger championship realms.

You know what frustrates me? Not having any hope for progress, seeing bad money on the floor that we can't move, being stuck. The worst place you can be if you ask me is on the treadmill, or close to making the playoffs but not bad enough to build through the draft. You can always move the pick, you can always nail a draft choice, something new is coming. Seeing a bunch of underachievers or poor coaching pull of a couple of meaningless wins doesn't really do it for me.

Our basic foundation needs work, and its not going to change with a couple of more wins. It may change with a few ping pong balls.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well lack of effort certainly is not entertaining, nor is poor coaching or poor results. But I hope you agree on youth development and maybe perhaps getting decent looks at people who may potentially be on the trading block come off season is useful at least.
I agree with developing our young players if they play with heart and effort. Again, my main priority at the end of the day is watching something that gives me enjoyment. I personally am not that invested in "getting decent looks at people who may potentially be on the trading block" when I tune in to watch the KINGS.

I like to view what we have honestly, go over contract options, attempt to see maneuvers for progress.

So I still enjoy observing regardless of team status in the standings, but without any pressure of let down really once its pretty obvious we are out of it. In the 90's I was more like you were because the crowd was still hopping, we had Mitch and the team played hard. After the first taste of the playoffs I wanted much more than that. I'll take years of misery with hope it is directed to the bigger championship realms.
I have watched the NBA since 1963, as I've said before. I want to see heart, hustle, energy and effort. A championship would be incredible, but it's not why I watch the games. If it were, I would have given up on the Kings a very long time ago. :p

You know what frustrates me? Not having any hope for progress, seeing bad money on the floor that we can't move, being stuck. The worst place you can be if you ask me is on the treadmill, or close to making the playoffs but not bad enough to build through the draft. You can always move the pick, you can always nail a draft choice, something new is coming. Seeing a bunch of underachievers or poor coaching pull of a couple of meaningless wins doesn't really do it for me.
Again for me, it's not about draft picks. It's about the now, not the future, at least when I attend or watch the game. The philosophical discussions are for other times, not when the team is on the court. I am invested in this team in years, in tears and (at least until recently) in the fear that they would soon be gone. I want to see these young men perform well and enjoy what they're doing as much as I enjoy watching.

Our basic foundation needs work, and its not going to change with a couple of more wins. It may change with a few ping pong balls.
And that's where I differ from a lot of other fans. I honestly do not give a crap about the ping pong balls or the draft picks. With our luck, we'd probably end up with Greg Oden anyway. I know my view isn't the prevalent one and that's okay. I'm content to watch the games and root for the now. It's when I see horrific coaching and a lack of heart on the part of the players (who probably are feeling as bad if not worse than we do) that I get upset.

I want to just be a fan again, not an amateur arm-chair psychiatrist who is trying to figure out why everything has gone so blasted wrong.

Give me back my KINGS! Those of you who want to look to the future are probably the majority and you're certainly free to hold those beliefs, but it shouldn't have to come at the expense of all who pay for tickets to be entertained now. There should be a way for all of us Kings fans to be happy.

::VF21 gets off soapbox and slowly walks off the stage::

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
It's been time to hope for losses. I've been on this wagon since the all-star break and I'm glad the Kings are piling them up like this. Talent is a necessity on this team, can't jeopardize your future for only the present without considering both moving forward to grow a successful franchise.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
May I ask what "lin" means before we are banning the word? (joking aside...)
Lin is a game we lose that is actually a win because we improve our lottery chances. A woss is a game we win that is actually a loss because it does not improve our lottery chances.