IPOD Decades Songs Draft - Rankings underway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Don't ask me to bleed about it
I need this blood to survive
I feel I would be remiss if I didn't include at least one song from Duran Duran in my '80s list. Despite the fact that this song comes a bit removed from their most popular work of the early '80s, I think that the horn section and funky sound make it perhaps their best song ever - Notorious (released 1986).

[yt=Notorious]HGDmBLAPikU[/yt]

I am a HUGE Weezer fan and cannot simply select the #1 rated Weezer song, I have to take my favorite... what I think is the best Weezer song of all time. And like everything 90's, it's obscurity makes it that much more appropriate... seems like I spent more time in the 90's in record stores looking for obscure songs that were absolute gems.

I select:

Susanne by Weezer (1994) the B-Side of a Single and featured on tha Mallrats soundtrack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susanne_(song)

And here is the funny story of this song from Wikipedia:
The subject of the song, Susanne, was a PA at Geffen Records when Weezer was first getting its music off the ground. Rivers Cuomo was facing the emotional challenges of breaking into the music business, so she would make baked goods, especially brownies, as pick-me-ups for him, and gave him her spare winter coat to use when he needed a jacket, in addition to having heart-to-heart conversations via telephone with Cuomo, as is detailed in the first verse of the song. The line from the second verse, "Even Izzy, Slash, and Axl Rose" was originally written with Kurt Cobain's name but it was edited out (out of respect) after Cobain's death in 1994. Weezer's Brian Bell has claimed it is his favorite of the group's songs. It is also part of the set list on the 2008 US tour.
[yt=Sing-A-Long Version]gJJPyeyMg_Q[/yt]

[yt=Live in Houston]SDCpayR7luE[/yt]

[yt=A Weird Fan Tribute]3JDl-jHMgJg[/yt]

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
haha. Seriously not to start anything, but you acknowledge Outkast. With some of your "feedback" in my Last Band standing thread, I figured that you wrote them off. Glad to see that I was wrong.
I didn't write them off. My complaints were more along the lines of my feeling that rap/hip-hop/R&B was horribly, horribly underrepresented.* Hence my tongue-in-cheek remarks about KF.com "not caring" about black people, and also why, after saying my peace, I haven't been back in that thread again.

EDIT - * I even said exactly that.

EDIT the Second - You appear to be confusing me with tradepeja.

Last edited:
I didn't write them off. My complaints were more along the lines of my feeling that rap/hip-hop/R&B was horribly, horribly underrepresented.
Hmmm... That they were. I considered a pick from that Outkast CD as well, but I can't say what it was. Excellent pick, your list is vastly different from everyone else's. Could it be a regional thing?

OK, closing out my 80's is a song that brings back a lot of memories for me. I am at work with no access to youtube or anything else so I will post a better write up later. But, in the sense of getting this thing moving my next selection

Just Like Heaven- The Cure (80's)

OK, closing out my 80's is a song that brings back a lot of memories for me. I am at work with no access to youtube or anything else so I will post a better write up later. But, in the sense of getting this thing moving my next selection

Just Like Heaven- The Cure (80's)
Wow! Great pick! One of my all-time favorite The Cure tunes...

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Here is one of those off the radar songs that I really enjoy and want on my desert island ipod. With my 22nd pick I select:One (1999) Aimee Mann
That is physically on my list. I wasn't going to pick it because I've only got one '90s song left and several things in front of it, but actually on the list. Great song.

Last edited:
Three songs left... one from each decade... so many directions possible... so why not...

The "best alliance in hip hop!"

Definition - Mos Def & Talib Kweli (1998)

[yt=Definition]Rx5aVI2zsFE[/yt]

"old school rap still sounds surprisingly fresh... they hope to purge rap music of its negativity and violence... Their wisdom-first philosophy hits hard..." - Allmusic.

More, from wikipedia.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
For my last 70s pick, I'm going with:

Don't Leave Me This Way - Thelma Houston - 70s

[yt=Don't Leave Me...]35FqbbZWPsM[/yt]

Another case that will get me up and moving around my island. You cannot just sit and listen to this great song!

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
I'm an innocent victim of a blinded alley and I'm tired of all these soldiers here
No one speaks English and everything's broken and my Stacys are soaking wet
This is one of those songs that I love, and I can't quite say why. There's a lot of alcohol in this song, and a lot of sadness, but at the same time hope and I think that's a big part of it. For my final '70s song, I select Tom Traubert's Blues (Four Sheets To The Wind In Copenhagen) by Tom Waits (released 1976).

There are a lot of live versions of this song, but Waits' voice tends to be even more gravelly live than on the studio cut (we're talking several driveways' worth) so I went with a studio version for the video.

[yt=You'll go Waltzing Matilda with me]HkOMiA_uGso[/yt]

Status
Not open for further replies.