Interview "Michael Malone explains how to coach DeMarcus Cousins"

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2015/...s-how-to-coach-demarcus-cousins#comment_tease

This interview kind of bugs me because this is what bothered me about Malone in the first place. He coached through the media all the time when he was here. How many times after a loss did he go on and on about "defense" and how we didn't play any etc etc. I don't remember him calling out Cousins specifically but he said a lot of things to the media about what the Kings did not do and what they should do and he said things with intensity. That is coaching through the media.

People say Malone is a class act and maybe he is a lot of the time. But not all the time. He has been known to run his mouth from time to time. For whatever reason Malone does it in a way that doesn't seem to bother a lot of people. But he does it.

The reason I bring it up is not to run down Malone, but to point out no one is perfect. We have to learn to work together. Unless your ego is bigger than mine or vice versa.

Last edited:
I don't get this. Maybe it was the contrast between Smart and Malone, but Malone always struck me as a guy who refused to sugarcoat anything to spare feelings. I think that is an admirable quality in a leader, and it sure seemed like Malone had buy-in from the team while he was here.

I don't see anything different between what Malone used to say during interviews and what a coach like Sloan or JVG would have said. If your players slack off, you call them out to put pressure on them to improve.

As Chubbs pointed out, Karl hasn't been shy when it comes to criticizing players.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Malone always just said what needs to improve or he praised what worked well. Karl's media interactions almost seemed divisive instead of in the spirit of making a team better.

Malone always just said what needs to improve or he praised what worked well. Karl's media interactions almost seemed divisive instead of in the spirit of making a team better.
Phil Jackson used to call out his players to the media. I think every coach uses different ways to get to their team.

Some guys takes the criticism to heart and try and improve. Other takes the critisism and turns against the coach.

I think dmc doesn't take criticism well from his coach, so Karl really needs to walk a fine line with his media interactions, which I'm not sure if he is capable of doing.

Phil Jackson used to call out his players to the media. I think every coach uses different ways to get to their team.

Some guys takes the criticism to heart and try and improve. Other takes the critisism and turns against the coach.

I think dmc doesn't take criticism well from his coach, so Karl really needs to walk a fine line with his media interactions, which I'm not sure if he is capable of doing.
I don't think Cousins has a problem with criticism. He has a problem when a coach says one thing to him, and then says something different to the media.

I don't think Cousins has a problem with criticism. He has a problem when a coach says one thing to him, and then says something different to the media.
I'm not so sure about dmc being okay with coach giving out media critisism. You may want to ask Paul Westphal about how that worked for him. o_O

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I'm not so sure about dmc being okay with coach giving out media critisism. You may want to ask Paul Westphal about how that worked for him. o_O
Worked fine with Malone giving him criticism. Malone got him to change his whole effort and outlook on playing defense.

When your coach (*cough* Karl *cough*) keeps implying in the media that he is considering trading you, that tends to cause, shall we say, "friction" with players.

Karl needs to shut up his pie hole about personnel and just coach. Leave the rest to the FO.

Worked fine with Malone giving him criticism. Malone got him to change his whole effort and outlook on playing defense.

When your coach (*cough* Karl *cough*) keeps implying in the media that he is considering trading you, that tends to cause, shall we say, "friction" with players.

Karl needs to shut up his pie hole about personnel and just coach. Leave the rest to the FO.
This whole problem is because Karl can not shut his pie hole. I wish he would.

He was trying to play coach and GM, which he is not the GM, thank goodness.

I hope vlade puts a fine on Karl if he steps out of line on personnel matters. If he does not comply, then he will be shown the door.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Vlade needs to put him in his place about him going out in the media but I suppose that ship might have sailed because you can't teach a old dog new tricks. Since this is what the players will have to deal with, they all need to come together and play for one another even if one or two of them do not care for Karl. What's most important right now is building chemistry and trust in one another.

If you criticize Cousins, you better be able to explain your reasoning. Cousins wants to learn and get better. Westphal didn't like to explain himself. Throw in how he changed his tune costantly, then lied publicly and you had a recipe for disaster.

I don't mind how Malone was when he was here, I just don't want to hear him talking about Cousins now. Distracting. Slows the healing process. I know Malone was asked a direct question, but time to move on. Lowe and the national media eat this stuff up and they won't stop as long as someone is feeding them dirt/info. If Malone wants to do Cousins a favor, he'll stop talking about it.

I don't mind how Malone was when he was here, I just don't want to hear him talking about Cousins now. Distracting. Slows the healing process. I know Malone was asked a direct question, but time to move on. Lowe and the national media eat this stuff up and they won't stop as long as someone is feeding them dirt/info. If Malone wants to do Cousins a favor, he'll stop talking about it.
I think I feel close to the same way... only a little different.

I do think what Malone is saying lately is hurtful to the Kings interests - but it is actually HELPING my own healing process. Right now Malone is the coach of a opponent - an opponent I especially want to stomp the crap out of four times next year. I'm glad that Malone is giving me bulletin board material as a fan.

I mean I used to love the guy, but now he has played kissy face with Pete, maligned Vivek (making comments about "owner firing me for style of play" and breathing live into the almost dead "4 on 5" chatter).... so I'm pretty well over him now. I hope Karl kicks his a$$ 4 times next year and that KARL is the guy smirking and poking the jabs in the post game - not Mike.

As far as I can guess, Malone doesn't really care whether or not this sort of talk rubs salt in the wound. He was asked a question, and he answered it honestly: that he loves DeMarcus and what-not.

And, if in the case we need to choose between Karl and Cousins, I'm choosing Cousins because he, not the short-term coach, can be the future of this franchise for likely 5 to probably 7 to maybe 10 more years, depending on his health and to our loyalty to him. Wins? I think I've seen enough of Cousins to guess that he wants to win with HIS team, and not bandwagon somewhere else. When this is no longer HIS team, he's out.

But should he have final say in everything? Absolutely not!

I think I feel close to the same way... only a little different.

I do think what Malone is saying lately is hurtful to the Kings interests - but it is actually HELPING my own healing process. Right now Malone is the coach of a opponent - an opponent I especially want to stomp the crap out of four times next year. I'm glad that Malone is giving me bulletin board material as a fan.

I mean I used to love the guy, but now he has played kissy face with Pete, maligned Vivek (making comments about "owner firing me for style of play" and breathing live into the almost dead "4 on 5" chatter).... so I'm pretty well over him now. I hope Karl kicks his a$$ 4 times next year and that KARL is the guy smirking and poking the jabs in the post game - not Mike.
Ha! I feel the same way. I tempered my response because I don't want deal with the inevitable backlash. But, it's clear Malone has moved on and he's not missing any opportunity to help perpetuate negative images of Sac.

There's a difference between saying the team needs to play better defense, and comparing Derrick Williams to a coke machine.
You are right about the public remarks about people. Derick will always have that remark hanging over his head. The team should let it be known those kinds of remarks in public will not be tolorated. Karl should be fined if he does.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
You are right about the public remarks about people. Derick will always have that remark hanging over his head. The team should let it be known those kinds of remarks in public will not be tolorated. Karl should be fined if he does.
Unfortunately its just what Karl does. What he has always done. He's not going to stop now in the middle of his 7th decade.

Unfortunately its just what Karl does. What he has always done. He's not going to stop now in the middle of his 7th decade.
Maybe, maybe not. He seems to have a man crush on Vlade, so maybe Vlade can set some ground rules. I'm well aware of his reputation, but I'm also well aware that having cancer can change a person. He's said that process has changed him and made him more willing to do things a different way.

Although I'm still in favor of just canning him and getting Thibs tomorrow before breakfast, I'm also not willing to close the book on Karl completely. I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised.

Huh. I read the original article from Grantland and sounds more like an anti-Kings hit piece between Malone and Zach Lowe:
https://grantland.com/the-triangle/...2010-playoffs-and-the-art-of-managing-boogie/

And 7 of the 30 questions were not about the Nuggets, but about the Kings or included the Kings as reference and Malone brought up the Kings at least 2 or 3 times during questions about the Nuggets! And here were the questions:

You left one weird situation in Sacramento for another one in Denver — a team that canceled shootarounds because too many players liked to party. Did you do some due diligence, and have any second thoughts about what you were getting into?
You preempted my next question: He’s obviously way less accomplished than DeMarcus, but does he remind you of him at all — just in the way that he can overpower pretty much anyone and move them under the rim?
The story goes that you won over Cousins by praising him publicly — “he’s our All-Star, he’s an All-NBA player” — but getting on him hard in practice. Is that true?
The stories of DeMarcus’s practice tantrums are legendary. Were you ever worried that things might go too far?
Were you ever actually approached about playing 4-on-5?
You started 9-6, DeMarcus got sick, you started losing, and then you got fired. Did that surprise you? When the season started well, did you allow yourself to think you might have found a long-term job — a team that could grow together?
So, what was the draft room like when the Kings took Willie Cauley-Stein? Did you high-five and scream? Were you nervous they would take Emmanuel Mudiay?

Last edited:
Why the hate for malone? A reporter asked him a question about the kings and he answered them. His last team was us and he is using us as a reference. And in all honesty he did get shafted so he has a right to be upset
He has every right to be upset... but he shows his unprofessional side by bagging on his old team when he has a new team and a new job. I don't remember coach Karl coming in an bagging on Denver when we hired him... and here is why:

NO ONE CARES if the coach had his feelings hurt/whatever. We should care about what they are doing going forward with their new team.

I am not saying Malone should not have answered the questions; the interviewer was trying to write a Kings-hit piece for some reason and Malone was the sucker he knew would tarnish himself by talking about it.

Let's think about it from a Denver-fan's perspective: New coach comes in and I am excited. Reading a nice long interview with him about his new position and my team, the Nuggets; however 1/3 of the interview has nothing to do with the Nuggets, but the team the coach used to coach. It's lame and the Nuggets fans deserve better.

Why the hate for malone? A reporter asked him a question about the kings and he answered them. His last team was us and he is using us as a reference. And in all honesty he did get shafted so he has a right to be upset
This is the same place where fire malone nonsense was happening when we were winning early on. So he hate should be expected.