Impact of Arena Fallout on Players?

I have been wondering about this for days and I thought it was worth a discussion on its own.

How much does the Arena fiasco become a distraction for the players and coaches? Does this send a negative message from ownership? Will players we draft start to look at the Kings as a team that won't spend to win and thus be looking for the next train out? As in, the old Clippers situation?

I imagine it is a distraction for the players in some way, even if they are worrying about the next game foremost. My main worry is the atmosphere created for draft picks though. If this becomes a non-competing team to keep costs down, how will the team be able to retain its high draft picks?

Krunker

Northernmost Kings Fan
It's got to be a distraction to the players. A few possibilities:

1) Less fans coming, possibly less motivation to play hard at home
2) Message that the owners are cheap and broke and won't spend to get quality free agents
3) "Major League" affect, ok to dog the season since that seems to be what the owners want so they can move?

Maybe the players can unite against the owners and win it all like in the movies :)

Decent question. I can't imagine it's NOT a distraction. However, I think it's pretty straightforward to say "my job is to go out and play games" which is probably the truth. I think if this bologna lasts another season it'll start to affect things more, but in the mean time with off season coming up, draft is out of the players' hands, they should all be focused on improving their ability and thus their contractual worth. God willing, none of that will matter before the maloofs are done gone and dealt with and we get someone who can afford to pay our players to stay and be great here. Then again, maybe the Easter Bunny and Santa will throw a benefit concert at PBP for children with cancer...

IMO it simply shows that the owners and team are not committed or willing to put in the effort to build a good basketball franchise. Not sure it affects role players much, but it certainly would affect my willingness to sign an extension or re-sign with the Kings if I were Tyreke or DMC. Team continues losing, organisation doesn't spend on a quality coach or quality players, doesn't provide a new facility and arena - much much better opportunities elsewhere.

IMO it simply shows that the owners and team are not committed or willing to put in the effort to build a good basketball franchise. Not sure it affects role players much, but it certainly would affect my willingness to sign an extension or re-sign with the Kings if I were Tyreke or DMC. Team continues losing, organisation doesn't spend on a quality coach or quality players, doesn't provide a new facility and arena - much much better opportunities elsewhere.
plus 1

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I have been wondering about this for days and I thought it was worth a discussion on its own.

How much does the Arena fiasco become a distraction for the players and coaches? Does this send a negative message from ownership? Will players we draft start to look at the Kings as a team that won't spend to win and thus be looking for the next train out? As in, the old Clippers situation?

I imagine it is a distraction for the players in some way, even if they are worrying about the next game foremost. My main worry is the atmosphere created for draft picks though. If this becomes a non-competing team to keep costs down, how will the team be able to retain its high draft picks?
All concerns, especially as regards Reke and Cousins. Another concern would be the unwilingness for competent coaches or FAs to sign into such an unstable situation. It makes the basketball side even harder.

All concerns, especially as regards Reke and Cousins. Another concern would be the unwilingness for competent coaches or FAs to sign into such an unstable situation. It makes the basketball side even harder.
And hopefully in an attempt to overcome this effect, the owners try harder to find new players, spend money on better players, resign or extend the players they want , generally show some good faith and spend the money to do so. At least I hope that will be their reaction. It could be better for them and us all if they did so.

Another thought. Maybe this mess is opportune for our team, coaches, and players. It will distract from the awful basketball being played by our team, help the team relax, and maybe, just maybe offer me a great last game at Arco for me this season. I will go with greater expectations than what are justified. Go Kings!!!!!

M

Mal

You're entire argument rests on the ABILITY of the Maloofs to continue to spend money. They didn't create the economic downturn, but did suffer from it. I'm not a fan of gambling, but you need to take a more thoughtful approach.