If not Ben then who

After only 3 games, we have 2 out of 3 wishes granted (WFCS is NBA ready and Rondo is healthy).

Might be jumping the gun, but if we can get player that is what we all hoped Ben would be (baby B(ow)en) we will be quite a complete team for future (maybe even this year) playoff.

So, who is potentially available of the Bowen, Doug mold to fit 3 and D SG ready role?

There are a few who share the opinion that we should just get rid of Ben even if it means we're not improving our SG position.

We're not getting rid of Ben for all the obvious reasons. We didn't do it in the off-season when we should have so he is here and is one of fou we hav at that position. Next time we have the chance get a good shooting guard. Who? Damned if I know. That's what we pay Vlade the big bucks for. Ben is with us and coach will figure out the best way to use him or not use him. Meantime Karl will work on putting his best 5 or .8 or 9 players on the floor.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Nobody, or I would already have suggested it. :)

There is such a premium put on those guys today, that realistically you kind of have to aim for either one or the other.

However, there are various dubious characters who might be available.

Kevin Martin I have mentioned.
possibly OJ Mayo
Evan Turner (you'd want Avery Bradley, and would not get him)
Tony Snell cannot be until the Bulls start losing
Nick Young (Swaggy P baby!)
Terrence Ross (at salary impasse with Toronto)
Iman Shumpert (had surgery and will be out until January at least)
Devin Harris

etc.

Holy crap, Jeremy Lamb gets a 3year $21million extension...

I wonder what Ben will get....

This is such a terrible move by the Hornets..

Please anyone but Swaggy...

We'd be better off picking up the phone and calling Terrence Williams. Karl would easily get the most out of his talents.

Whilst i feel like we need to get more out of Marco, i dont want him starting for us, his presence off the bench to date has been exactly what we needed.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
That was not an extension. That was us picking up the fourth-year option on his rookie contract.
So instead of letting him go at the end of the season, something a lot of people seem to support, Vlade took an affirmative action to keep him an extra year. Perhaps I am mistaken that Vlade wasn't forced to do this by the rules concerning options.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

There is such a premium put on those guys today, that realistically you kind of have to aim for either one or the other.

possibly OJ Mayo
Devin Harris

etc.
Keep in mind that the most salary we can take on sending out only Ben is $4,834,900.

Kevin Martin is a tough trade because he makes over $7M - not only does Ben fall short, but if reported salaries are accurate, Ben+Butler (our most-expensive fungible contract, at least starting sometime in December) also just barely falls short.

Mayo makes $8M.

Bradley is also far out of salary cap reach (over $7M) but Evan Turner would be attainable.

Snell seems like a pipe dream.

Young is also making too much scratch for a straight up McLemore trade, not that the Lakers make that deal anyway.

Ross would actually work, but you'd pretty much have to pony up this offseason.

Shumpert makes almost $9M.

Devin Harris works, but why?

So the list maybe comes down to a chance at going after Evan Turner or Terrence Ross, or other than that it's retread city. Want Randy Foye? Want Wesley Johnson? Anthony Morrow? Devin Harris? I hear Jimmer is still looking for a job.

With such an illustrious list of potentially available players, I don't get the feeling Ben is going anywhere.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
So instead of letting him go at the end of the season, something a lot of people seem to support, Vlade took an affirmative action to keep him an extra year. Perhaps I am mistaken that Vlade wasn't forced to do this by the rules concerning options.
Vlade was not forced to do it. However, given the cost of the option ($4M) and the current salary cap range, it would have been very surprising had he not.

Evan Turner is redundant with Rajon Rondo. Dude is a point forward, who needs the ball and is best at mid range. Would be a disaster next to Rondo, Cuz and Rudy.
Ross is the player, that should be available. But Raptors fans think about Ross like Brick thinks about Ben...;)
I personally think, that Ross is more polished or talented than McLemore, but Ben works harder and will try to fulfill any task you assign him to. Ross struggles with confidence but Raptors fans claim he also has not the best work ethic.
I don't know, if we would be on the better end of this trade.
And btw. Ross should get his extension today. So the salaries most likely won't match afterwards.
If the Raptors do not extend him, we may have a chance for a low ball offer.

I don't know how to get the salaries right, but the Knicks should be looking for a SG. So maybe you can try to get Cleanthony Early. But is Early an upgrade over Ben?
With the return of George Solomon Hill seems to be the odd man out in Indiana. But again salaries may be a problem. And Hill is not a good shooter.

How about Marcus Thornton? :p

Maybe once the season progresses and Hezonja gets more minutes at SG there is a chance to get Fournier. Certainly the option I like the most (outside of making pipe dream offers for Marcus Smart ;). Cuz, Willie, Rudy, Smart, Rondo/DC....boy what a team, that would be :oops:).

I do not see that most of the people want to let him go. His contract is good.
What I read is that most of people want upgrade at his position which makes him expandable.
Just letting him go solves nothing.

Ben just needs to improve. Either that or his playing time will continue to dwindle. Cant afford a shooting guard who can not shoot.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

possibly OJ Mayo
Devin Harris

etc.
Martin would be a nice short term answer. We know he can score. He's still a defensive liability, but he has improved a bit. I've always like Turner, and he does know how to play the game. He can play some PG in a pinch. So far he's never lived up to my expectations. Forget Snell, I don't think the Bulls would let him go for Ben. I've never been a big Nick Young fan, but he can score the ball. Never saw a shot he didn't like. I'd love to get Ross, but we may be getting another Ben. Maybe not? I have no interest in Harris. I could live with Mayo. However, I don't see any of these guys, other than Martin as starters. Not that they have to be since I don't think Ben should be a starter either.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Nick Young???????????????????????????????????? wow
Nick young is no suggestion. He's just available.

The Denver-related guards have some logic behind them though -- Fournier if you could get him, which is doubtful, Foye if you could get something else with him. Guys who can add a little ballhandling, who can do the shooting. Won't fix the defense, but work financially, should be comfortable in the Kings' system etc. Its nothing mindblowingly exciting,. but if we could make one move that moved our needle from 40-42 wins to 44-46 wins it could be the difference between the playoffs or not, and that would be huge for this franchise. We have such good depth this year, that suddenly this one large hole stands out like a sore thumb.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Yes, we should bench our career 34% 3 point shooter for the dead eye 33% of anderson
Like everything in life, there's more to the story. In college for three years he shot an average of 37.1 from the three. If you take his NBA career, his worse significant year was at Philly where he averaged 4.4 attempts a game and 32.8% from the three. In his three years he played for the Spurs he averaged a total of 38% from the three, with his second year being terrible. To me he seems to be a player that if set and squared up is a fairly consistent shooter. In Philly he took too many bad shots off the dribble. This I know, Anderson is a very good ballhandler, and at Oklahoma St. he made most of his money by attacking the basket. Do I think Anderson is a legit starter in the league? No, but I do think he will be better than McLemore in some of the areas where Ben is lacking. He's a very good defender.

What Anderson has been in his brief NBA career is fairly consistent. He may only shoot 35% from the three for us, but he'll do it almost every game. Ben will shoot 35%, but he'll do it by shooting 45% one game, and 25% the next. That's what drives Coaches nuts.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Nick Young???????????????????????????????????? wow
Well, he is a career 38% shooter from the three. The problem with Young is that he's a volume shooter who has a tendency to take a lot of bad shots. Plus there are two more years left on his contract after this season. Not to mention, he makes more money than Ben, so I don't think it would be a straight up trade.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
He's played extremely well in Orlando. They're not extending him now in order to use their cap space for a big FA splash. He's a RFA. They'll match anything south of probably $11million.
Boy, I'm not sure that he's worth 11 or more million. At least not to me he isn't. It's obvious that their expecting more out of him this season because so far his minutes are way up and so are his shot attempts. Still too early to pass judgement, but his average is way down. Should be interesting to see where he's at by the trade deadline. Sometime when you let a player increase his offensive load, he's not as effective overall.