i wouldn't be surprised if the kings select Porzingis in the draft

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Wouldn't mind drafting him. Could be our 3rd big behind Thompson, and a replacement for Thompson when JT gets older. Lack of post moves worries me, but it could be possible for this guy to "act" as Cousins -- meaning, we can run plays as if he were Cousins -- but we're limited to only high post plays.

Porzingis is Bargnani clone, except Bargs was bigger and could actually post from time to time at the same age. And he's also two years away from being two years away from contributing.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
That might be a good pick considering you could leave him overseas to develop and then his cap number doesn't hurt the Kings this summer. If there is going to be a major jump in the cap the year after the Kings have to make a major play this summer. There will be too many teams with space the summer of '16 and the Kings will be scrap eaters.

I could see it happening, but I wouldn't like the pick very much. He's very raw, and there's NBA ready players waiting to contribute on this team.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Kings traded down in the draft to grab a PG and a SF or a PG and a big man. They took Stauskas instead of Payton, but they have Dunn this year.

Justise Winslow+Kris Dunn
Kelly Oubre+Kris Dunn
Myles Turner+Kris Dunn
Myles Turner+George Lucas
Kris Dunn+Robert Upshaw
Frank Kaminsky+ Jerian Grant

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
you want to draft a Euro project? I don't know about all that. He won't contribute to a team in a few seasons if at all....maybe the Kings take a flyer on Bobby Portis or Niang?

Saw him a little bit- he has great size, awesome shooting for a big and very nice mobility... BUT he is a bad rebounder, lacks court vision and passing ability (which you would want from a big), gets away from contact and maybe most importantly for me- he's very slow to react on both sides of the floor. you have to remeber that the NBA is faster with much more athletic guys and if you aren't quick to react in the NBA you are much more likely to get punished.

All things considered, he has a very high ceiling if all goes well (some have called him a "more athletic Dirk") BUT he also have a very low floor- and personally I suspect he'll end up much closer to his floor than to his ceiling.

you want to draft a Euro project? I don't know about all that. He won't contribute to a team in a few seasons if at all....maybe the Kings take a flyer on Bobby Portis or Niang?
I don't know this particular player, but Schröder, Giannis, Nurkic or Mirotic all contribute to their teams pretty well while being in their rookie seasons or in their second year. Don't underestimate international players.
;)

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I don't know this particular player, but Schröder, Giannis, Nurkic or Mirotic all contribute to their teams pretty well while being in their rookie seasons or in their second year. Don't underestimate international players.
;)
Schroder and Mirotic played international ball before going pro so they had plenty of experience against valuable competition. Giannis took a while to develop into what he is. Nurkic is contributing to a lottery team.

It looks like the top 5 is pretty locked at Okafor, Towns, Mudiay, Russell and Porzingis.

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/577562704543629312

Sevilla's Kristaps Porzingis, 19, impressing NBA executives on scouting trail in Spain. He's grown to 7-foot-1-plus, progressing into Top 5.

But now that it's tournament time, the true test begins!

If he can come anything close to being like Dirk, we'd have a scary frontcourt. Europeans are usually pretty good to great shooters with decent handles, we could use that!

We've been near the top of the league in rebounds, even if we lose JT/Reggie we'll still be in the top half of the league.

It looks like the top 5 is pretty locked at Okafor, Towns, Mudiay, Russell and Porzingis.

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/577562704543629312

Sevilla's Kristaps Porzingis, 19, impressing NBA executives on scouting trail in Spain. He's grown to 7-foot-1-plus, progressing into Top 5.

But now that it's tournament time, the true test begins!

If he can come anything close to being like Dirk, we'd have a scary frontcourt. Europeans are usually pretty good to great shooters with decent handles, we could use that!

We've been near the top of the league in rebounds, even if we lose JT/Reggie we'll still be in the top half of the league.
His rebounding worries me. I would probably rather go with a safer pick like WCS if he fell to where we are. Also, I think if we lost JT and Evans our rebounding would suffer a lot. But it's not a huge deal if we replaced them with better overall players.

Nah, we're drafting at #1 and taking Towns..
Towns, just like Okafor, is a center: he has very limited faceup game outside of, no doubt, solid jumper, and on D he plays like a goalie, not weakside, quick rotation guy, so unless you want to spend #1 on your backup center or plan to replace DMC, both Towns and Okafor are rather awkward fits.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Towns, just like Okafor, is a center: he has very limited faceup game outside of, no doubt, solid jumper, and on D he plays like a goalie, not weakside, quick rotation guy, so unless you want to spend #1 on your backup center or plan to replace DMC, both Towns and Okafor are rather awkward fits.
I think in the situation where we draft Towns or Okafor or Cauley-Stein the concept would be to play Tower Ball with both that draftee and Cousins in the starting lineup (eventually - maybe not from Day One depending on how steep the NBA learning curve is). Is the fit awkward? I don't know. Memphis is doing it with guys who are less mobile than what we would have in that situation; San Antonio did it to great effect not so very long ago. I'm personally very tempted by the idea of Russell at the PG (eventually) with Collison backing up and trying to find a solution to PF in free agency, but I'm not going to say that's a better/worse route than going Okafor/Towns and hoping to improve our guard play through free agency, it's just different. Obviously for any of these scenarios (except the WCS one) we'd have to hit the lottery, and if we were to get the #3 we'd likely be locked in to whichever player of the three is left on the board.

To get back on topic here - I'm not sure that the top-5 is locked in, nor that Porzingis is in it. Chad Ford is notable for making some weird claims that don't pan out and the most reliable of the mocks in my opinion (DraftExpress) has Porzingis down at #8 as of now. Obviously I have next to nothing to say about Porzingis' game - I've never had a chance to see him play. The temptation of getting the "Next Dirk" is obviously mouthwatering, but Porzingis is about the seventh "Next Dirk" to come down the line and none have panned out yet. If he is going to be what his proponents say his ceiling is then you take him and don't look back - but that's a question for better scouts than me.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think in the situation where we draft Towns or Okafor or Cauley-Stein the concept would be to play Tower Ball with both that draftee and Cousins in the starting lineup (eventually - maybe not from Day One depending on how steep the NBA learning curve is). Is the fit awkward? I don't know. Memphis is doing it with guys who are less mobile than what we would have in that situation; San Antonio did it to great effect not so very long ago. I'm personally very tempted by the idea of Russell at the PG (eventually) with Collison backing up and trying to find a solution to PF in free agency, but I'm not going to say that's a better/worse route than going Okafor/Towns and hoping to improve our guard play through free agency, it's just different. Obviously for any of these scenarios (except the WCS one) we'd have to hit the lottery, and if we were to get the #3 we'd likely be locked in to whichever player of the three is left on the board.

To get back on topic here - I'm not sure that the top-5 is locked in, nor that Porzingis is in it. Chad Ford is notable for making some weird claims that don't pan out and the most reliable of the mocks in my opinion (DraftExpress) has Porzingis down at #8 as of now. Obviously I have next to nothing to say about Porzingis' game - I've never had a chance to see him play. The temptation of getting the "Next Dirk" is obviously mouthwatering, but Porzingis is about the seventh "Next Dirk" to come down the line and none have panned out yet. If he is going to be what his proponents say his ceiling is then you take him and don't look back - but that's a question for better scouts than me.
Okafor is STRICTLY a low post scorer. Decent rebounder but not a good man defender and not a defensive anchor. I think he and Cuz are a poor combo for a number of reaons, but on the right team Okafor is a reliable offensive threat down low. Towns on the other hand is more varied and skilled. I think he and Cousins could run the high post/low post combo like Webb and Vlade did since both he and Cuz can hit the midrange jumper and good passing. If the Kings got the #1 pick and I was the GM I'd take Towns and not look back. If the Kings are picking #2 and Towns is off the board I'm not sure. I haven't seen much of Mudiay and I really like Russell so I think you'd go guard. But for me personally I think WCS is my favorite player in the draft (for the KINGS anyway) after Towns.

Oh no no no Towns would benefit us more. Way higher upside. But WCS DOES remind me of a Noah type player so I would be fine with either or.

I would play both Cousins and Towns/WCS and then grab a couple perimeter defense guards and small forward (keeping Gay would be fine). We are literally just one piece in the starting lineup and a couple bench players who can fit the system away from being in the playoffs.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Haven't watched a ton of college ball this year, so got my first look at Kentucky in their 1st round game. Talk about a stable of dominant big men. Would love Towns or WCS. I know the talk is all about how the pro game is moving towards the outside game and guard play but to have 2 dominant bigs like Cuz and one of these others would not suck.

Porzingis seems to scare a lot of us, and you can count me in that group.

Sure, I love the idea of placing an athletic, floor spacing and shot blocking 4 next to DeMarcus, but I doubt Porzingis will fulfill that dream based on the red flags I'm reading about. In short, he reminds me of Jan Vesely with a 3pt shot - plays hard/but doesn't know how to play, plus his inability to put on weight/strength will limit his effectiveness in the NBA.

I was just watching video of this guy. I'm not really impressed. He looks like a poor mans Ryan Hollins. He is too thin and weak. Not a great defender. Struggles against defenders in the paint. Not a great shooter with a nice stroke. He dose hustle.

Are we in the mid 1990's? Porzingis won't have to be in the paint that often in the 2015 NBA. Most 4's float around the perimeter and he would also happen to be playing with the most physically imposing big in the league and A freakishly long wing in Gay. Keep JT around and pickup another veteran to bide time for him to develop. I generally have a good eye for what translates to the NBA and this kid will translate to the NBA. He is a deadly spot up shooter with a shot that cannot be contested. At worst he will be a 7'1 Nikola Mirotic, but if he adds more strength his ceiling will go through the roof with his stroke, ability off the dribble, lenght, motor and athleticism.

This kid can't rebound or finish inside, has zero physical presence, and an average at best passer. Kings will have longer Channing Frye, yay!

There are some decent options at the 4 and 5 in free agency this offseason. It makes it very tempting to draft one of the guards or wings, then try to clear cap and go hard after one of the FA bigs.

I was just watching video of this guy. I'm not really impressed. He looks like a poor mans Ryan Hollins. He is too thin and weak. Not a great defender. Struggles against defenders in the paint. Not a great shooter with a nice stroke. He dose hustle.

Ouch.... Hollins doesn't even belong in the NBA so this guy might be light years away (talent wise) from the NBA.