I may have been ... wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, you don't give full support publicly and then say "character matters" as the excuse as if you didn't know Cousins' character all along.
Look Vlade and the franchise made a **** up after a **** up when it comes to this trade. The way the trade was handled was very poor but the presser was worse.

All the blame got pointed to DMC. Even if you reallyfeelthat way, you have some class and resist the final WHACK to justify your decision. Relationships should be maintained. Bridges should not be burnt. Those in NBA remember and don't ever forget.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Something happened that made Vlade change his mind. We don't know what that is. If you choose to call it "lack of integrity" those are your words. I'm done with the subject.
Vlade chose to use the words "character matters" in discussing the trade, which was in direct opposition to what he had been publicly stating. Vlade blew it. Pure and simple. If "something happened to change his mind," wouldn't you think it would be important for Vlade to relay that information to Boogie when the trade went down? Sorry, but integrity matters and Vlade did not take the right steps.

Something happened that made Vlade change his mind. We don't know what that is. If you choose to call it "lack of integrity" those are your words. I'm done with the subject.
I agree with this. Vlade met with DeMarcus and told him he wasn't going to be traded because that was how it looked at the time. It was surely DeMarcus that wanted the meeting in the first place and a week later his agent was actively trying to destroy deals so obviously he did in fact have an idea that he might be traded after all.

I mean trading a player that doesn't want to be traded and who has an agent who will attempt to undermine any deal that's made is awkward to begin with. What was vlade supposed to do?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I understand the turn this thread has taken but I was not intending for this to turn into a debate about Vlade and his integrity (or lack there0f). When someone posts a link to an article by Voisin (which I didn't read for the simple reason the Bee doesn't get any of my clicks), I think it's time for me to bow out.

My original intent was to acknowledge I might have been wrong about the future of the team without DMC and the ability of the team currently in place to provide entertainment. I am not changing my opinion about how Vlade mishandled this situation.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I agree with this. Vlade met with DeMarcus and told him he wasn't going to be traded because that was how it looked at the time. It was surely DeMarcus that wanted the meeting in the first place and a week later his agent was actively trying to destroy deals so obviously he did in fact have an idea that he might be traded after all.

I mean trading a player that doesn't want to be traded and who has an agent who will attempt to undermine any deal that's made is awkward to begin with. What was vlade supposed to do?
Acknowledge to Boogie that he had to go back on his word BEFORE the entire national media knew about the trade. Not make commitments he might be forced to cancel. Definitely not kick Boogie on his way out the door with the "character matters" comment. That was not necessary.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member

He can do whatever he wants to do, within the limits set forth by his employer. But, when he has the audacity to turn around and talk about character in any context after that, I reserve the right to call foul.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Right now, no one on this forum is right or wrong because we don't know how both teams will fare moving forward. I'll reserve talking about Vlade in this forum and strictly leave it to talking about the youth on the team. I loved Skal since we drafted him and I have been a high advocate of him getting minutes and I am glad that is finally coming to fruition. Willie is surprising us with these moves he's pulling off. He can now be the aggressor and I'm perfectly fine with that, he has worked on that jumpshot we've been wanting to see out of him since he has been drafted. 24 games remain and it will be fun to watch how his development continues to unfold as teams focus in more on him. He should have the advantage on most big men on most nights considering how fast he is, it's about having ball security. I also believe within time, Skal will develop a three point shot. He has a picture perfect shot, he gets so much elevation when he shoots. Lastly, Buddy looked like a veteran out there yesterday. Not trying to do too much, playing within himself and hitting shots when the opportunity arose. I can cheer for this, they will always play hard, DeMarcus or not. That is their identity. Fight, scrap & compete for the whole game.

Respect you Gary, but this is a ridiculously naive statement. The "anti-Cousins because he complains too much" crowd keeps trying to tie wins and losses to his demeanor, body language, and bickering with officials when no correlation exists.

The real reason he wasn't winning here stems from the fact that the team has received no major impact from any of the past 6 1st round draft picks the team has made. That's a fairly significant development, don't you think? Add to it the fact that the only legit teammates he ever had (Tyreke Evans and Isaiah Thomas) were traded for returns that also yielded no impact. How is anybody supposed to win when you don't add any meaningful pieces to the puzzle? Riddle me that.

The Warriors were winning games at the same or similar clip as the Kings during Steph Curry's first 3 seasons. However, unlike the Kings, they hit the jackpot with their draft picks in 2011 and 2012 with Klay Thompson, Draymond Green, Festus Ezeli and Harrison Barnes and suddenly turned a corner -- fast.

Not so oddly, ALL of those players were available to the Kings. Had they landed each of them to add to Cousins, we wouldn't be having this discussion. That's the point. Nobody is going to win here until they start making sound decisions in the draft and with trades/free agent picks ups. That's continues to be an ownership and front office problem and has nothing to do with DeMarcus Cousins' complaining. You can dislike the complaining all you want. But you're misappropriating it for the real reasons outlined above.
I was NEVER anti-Cousins. I had always wanted him here since Kentucky (and you can search my posts from then to verify). I just got turned off by his constant complaining and negative attitude. I literally turned off my TV and stopped going to games because it wasn't fun for me to see it, not to mention see the inconsistency of the team. You can't count on a volatile player when every technical he gets from here on out is a suspension can you?

This is the first year I totally turned of every thing that has to do with the Kings. I just couldn't watch it anymore. So as a Cousins fan I am glad that he's gone. Hopefully he will do better somewhere else. And as a former Tyreke Evans hater I hope he has learned to fill the stat sheet as a SMALL FORWARD and NOT a PG! :) And yes, I am still a Kings fan.

It's Ailene Voisin. What's your point?
Boogie and his representatives knew about a possible trade 4 days before the ASG.

Reached in his office in the Kings’ practice facility on Friday, Divac said he had no plans to trade the team’s longest-tenured player until talks with the Pelicans heated up about four days before the All-Star Game.

“We didn’t have anything going until then, no other team showed any real interest or offered anything that made sense,” Divac explained. “DeMarcus was going to be with us, and we would deal with his (contract) situation this summer. It all happened very fast, when the whole approach changed. Then when I told his agents we were suddenly having serious discussions (with the Pelicans), he started called people around the league, saying DeMarcus could not sign an extension if he got traded. They got scared. So I decided not to share anything with the agents (Dan Fegan and Akana) anymore. They were protecting their client, but I had to protect my organization.”

“And look,” Divac continued. “I trust DeMarcus, what he feels, how he feels. It’s hard to get traded. I believe he is a very talented kid, but I felt it would not work out here for us.”

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/ailene-voisin/article134790614.html#0#storylink=cpy

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Right now, no one on this forum is right or wrong because we don't know how both teams will fare moving forward...
I disagree strongly with the notion that the fate of the two teams involved has anything to do with whether or not Divac acted honorably. And, since that's what we've been talking about for the last fifty or so posts in this thread, then there is absolutely a discussion of right or wrong to be had, which is irrespective of the results.

Acknowledge to Boogie that he had to go back on his word BEFORE the entire national media knew about the trade. Not make commitments he might be forced to cancel. Definitely not kick Boogie on his way out the door with the "character matters" comment. That was not necessary.
Maybe t was. Wha happened wih Cuz here was very tough for all he obvious reasons. Personally I believe should be lauded for doing the tough thing no matter whether he told Cuz he was no going to be traded. Vlade is all the more m man. Let's move on. We have the kind of GM I want.

Yes and no.

'acknowledge to Boogie before everyone else knew?' Might not have been possible.

"Not make commitments he might be forced to cancel."? I personally think that he intended to sign him to the extension and wasn't looking to trade him. What changed? Don't know.

"Definitely not kick Boogie on his way out the door with the "character matters" comment."? No excuse.

Boogie and his representatives knew about a possible trade 4 days before the ASG.

Reached in his office in the Kings’ practice facility on Friday, Divac said he had no plans to trade the team’s longest-tenured player until talks with the Pelicans heated up about four days before the All-Star Game.

“We didn’t have anything going until then, no other team showed any real interest or offered anything that made sense,” Divac explained. “DeMarcus was going to be with us, and we would deal with his (contract) situation this summer. It all happened very fast, when the whole approach changed. Then when I told his agents we were suddenly having serious discussions (with the Pelicans), he started called people around the league, saying DeMarcus could not sign an extension if he got traded. They got scared. So I decided not to share anything with the agents (Dan Fegan and Akana) anymore. They were protecting their client, but I had to protect my organization.”

“And look,” Divac continued. “I trust DeMarcus, what he feels, how he feels. It’s hard to get traded. I believe he is a very talented kid, but I felt it would not work out here for us.”

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/ailene-voisin/article134790614.html#0#storylink=cpy
Pretty much what I thought.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I disagree strongly with the notion that the fate of the two teams involved has anything to do with whether or not Divac acted honorably. And, since that's what we've been talking about for the last fifty or so posts in this thread, then there is absolutely a discussion of right or wrong to be had, which is irrespective of the results.
You can talk about what is right and wrong until you're blue in the face about what Vlade did. The entire league is on notice. I personally don't see Vlade lasting this rebuilding process so at that point in time, one would hope that the next person Vivek brings along might as well be another puppet because this honor you are talking about starts with Vivek and he spreading his toxic tendencies towards the rest of the management.

I have a finite amount of energy and I see no rational reason to use any of this energy to be mad at Vlade. Pretty much everyone that knows him describes him as a great human being and this week does not change it. To be honest, when you trade away a player that many people adore there is probably no way that it could be done without scorn and ridicule.

I'm really trying to be done with this and move on because it has happened and DMC is no longer a King and I am all about the Kings.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I have a finite amount of energy and I see no rational reason to use any of this energy to be mad at Vlade. Pretty much everyone that knows him describes him as a great human being and this week does not change it. To be honest, when you trade away a player that many people adore there is probably no way that it could be done without scorn and ridicule.

I'm really trying to be done with this and move on because it has happened and DMC is no longer a King and I am all about the Kings.
Mad? No, more disappointed...but I moved on from the Webber trade so I suppose I can move on from this. Won't be wearing my Divac jersey in the forseeable future, however, and my signed bobblehead is turned towards the wall. Petty? Maybe.

If this is true, does this really make Vlade as dishonest at people are making him out to be? Who says he couldn't have been honest when speaking with Cuz but had a change of heart when he got the NO offer?

So if it's a choice to not go back on his word or do what's best for the organization, isn't it his job to do the latter? At least he gave Cuz agents notice ahead of time, they apparently shafted the original deal. At that point management was probably set on trading Cuz and they used Viveks boner for Hield to follow through even though the deal was worse.

Trying to understand both sides. The talk about culture at the press conference is the part that I don't like though. If it was so much about culture, then they wouldn't had made the moves they did over the summer nor told Cuz hes part of the future.

Maybe t was. Wha happened wih Cuz here was very tough for all he obvious reasons. Personally I believe should be lauded for doing the tough thing no matter whether he told Cuz he was no going to be traded. Vlade is all the more m man. Let's move on. We have the kind of GM I want.
Vlade was the best hire Vivek ever made. After two completely onesided trades, at least one extremely questionable draft pick, absolutely horrible FA signings, even after the complete inability so negotiate any trades, that would have helped either the win now aproach with Cousins or the rebuild post Cousins Kings fans still defend that guy and trust him to make decisions going forward.

Vlade is all the more a man. The dude that panicked and used a 26year old as a scapegoat and trashed his character after lying to his face to keep his job is all the more a man?
Im not referring to you, but right now this board is flooded with guys pounding their chests because Vlade got rid of what they view the biggest loser , cancer and horrible human being ever to put on a Kings uniform.
Fine. Obviously people disagree and Im not here to tell everybody what to believe or not.
But for me the more important question is, who will be next? With Vlades incompetence so clearly visible, how can we just move forward and believe, that he doesn't once again find a way to screw things up?
He already made the first mistake by keeping every veteran over the deadline. He burned bridges with one of the most important agents, he rolled over to one of the worst GMs in the league. Yet this is the guy people trust to build a successful Kings team.
Like I said - Viveks best hire!

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Im not referring to you, but right now this board is flooded with guys pounding their chests because Vlade got rid of what they view the biggest loser , cancer and horrible human being ever to put on a Kings uniform.
Flooded? There's a small minority that thought it was a good trade and no more than a handful of people who could be interpreted as "beating their chest" about it. The reaction to the trade on this board was overwhelmingly negative.

Flooded? There's a small minority that thought it was a good trade and no more than a handful of people who could be interpreted as "beating their chest" about it. The reaction to the trade on this board was overwhelmingly negative.
Wait so you're telling me that all the threads about no longer being a Kings fan, questions of whether one would watch more Pels games or Kings games, the outcry against Vlade/Vivek and the number of "GO PELICANS" posts weren't in favor of the trade?

Has anyone seen the video of Boogie saying FU to the Fans? It is on Youtube and I'm not linking the video. For Boogie it was a small flippant thing totally in character most likely meant to be funny. But it does not play that way. For Joe Sixpack on the street it gets you reprimanded, suspended or fired. That and the technicals and the 200 million deal make me understand the trade. I don't agree with it or would have wanted it but I can understand an organization thinking of reevaluating their options. Especially from a business stand point.

Kind of reminds me of the Kia commercial displaying the stark contrast to how some view the NBA Life as compared to the working stiff:

Status
Not open for further replies.