I know its still VERY early but....

I have a feeling this may be Petrie's best draft ever. What do you think? I mean Evans looks amazing, Casspi is becoming one of my favorite players, and the Brockness Monster looks like a capable hustling rebounder off the bench. When was the last time Petrie or even the Kings as a whole have ever gotten 3 good players out of a draft? Yes I do know Jon is not anywhere near the caliber of player evans and casspi are, but he is good enough to play.

Discuss...

gunks

Hall of Famer
Very well could be. Evans is getting more beastly every game. Omri is SOLID, and Brockness is a friggin bruiser, which we've needed on this team for years.

It is a bit early to make a call like this. But its hard not to like what we're seeing from our rooks.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Obviously Evans alone has that potenital, if he pans out. And of course this is that thing that was fought so hard for so long around here -- in the NBA you get bad to get good. The Maloofs in particular announced years ago they didn't believe that. That was because they were amateurs and really did not understand the league. You get bad to get good. We finally got bad, Petrie got the highest draft pick he has ever had to work with, and maybe just maybe we drafted a star. It makes a huge difference from drafting #12 or something and just taking leftovers.

Adn I still have to say, we came one pick, or one trade that did not pan out, from having just an amazing draft. If we had come home with Reke, Omri and Blair...wow. Could have almost been a 1-draft rebuild.

Last edited:
Yep, Petrie and his staff turned their 3 picks into:

Tyreke: A young emerging star who has all the tools. Plus he has the personality to lead. When he makes a good play (Which is often) he acts like he has done it before. I like that:)

Omri: This young man is fierce. Look at his eyes:) Plus his game is advanced due to playing pro ball. Nice game in the paint and good 3 point shot.

Jon: Throw back who would have fit in with the Pistons bad boy team. Brockman can bang with the best of them. Players start to know where hes at after a bump or two:D

Sergio: He has not played that many minutes. Sergio is a quality guard coming off the bench who can run the team.

Ime: Though he came in off a waiver and not the draft. GP pulled the trigger on picking him up. Ime is a great glue guy. Passes the ball, hits the jumper and defends. Great pickup.

GP and his folks get and A+!

K

Kingsguy881

Petrie sucks. He is an idiot and doesn't know what he is doing. His draft picks are lame, his free agent acquisitions are horrible, and his trades are suspect. Fire him. There is a poster on this board who can do a MUCH better job than Petrie-dish.;)

Bricklayer

Petrie sucks. He is an idiot and doesn't know what he is doing. His draft picks are lame, his free agent acquisitions are horrible, and his trades are suspect. Fire him. There is a poster on this board who can do a MUCH better job than Petrie-dish.;)

Several of us actually. ;)

But he has consistently drafted well. Been the one thing that has kept things even remotely afloat around here.

We've gushed about Evans already so I won't cover it here, but I will say that his jumper is developing further than I expected, which is good because his ability to get to the basket is already at an elite level. On the other hand, Casspi's development has been a bit under the radar. I like the opening he's taken advantage of (Garcia's injury, Nocioni's limbo status on the team given his veteran status, fat contract relative to production, etc) and his hunger to succeed. But the more important development was how easily the three point shot has translated for him--granted I might be speaking so soon, but I had concerns about how his funky looking shot would translate here, and so far it looks like it's been a huge thrust for his offense. If that shot is really down pat, we really have a steal, that's for sure, and I'm thinking we have.

What's especially funny is that I wasn't in total awe of the draft we had, but I did note that Petrie had a knack for picking players under the radar, at the expense of more highly-sought names. It wasn't the ideal draft, but it was a good draft when combining the three players, and I gave that draft a B back then. Now that I see the opening that Reke and Casspi are getting with injuries to KMart and Garcia abound, it's looking way better for future prospects.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
We've gushed about Evans already so I won't cover it here, but I will say that his jumper is developing further than I expected, which is good because his ability to get to the basket is already at an elite level. On the other hand, Casspi's development has been a bit under the radar. I like the opening he's taken advantage of (Garcia's injury, Nocioni's limbo status on the team given his veteran status, fat contract relative to production, etc) and his hunger to succeed. But the more important development was how easily the three point shot has translated for him--granted I might be speaking so soon, but I had concerns about how his funky looking shot would translate here, and so far it looks like it's been a huge thrust for his offense. If that shot is really down pat, we really have a steal, that's for sure, and I'm thinking we have.

What's especially funny is that I wasn't in total awe of the draft we had, but I did note that Petrie had a knack for picking players under the radar, at the expense of more highly-sought names. It wasn't the ideal draft, but it was a good draft when combining the three players, and I gave that draft a B back then. Now that I see the opening that Reke and Casspi are getting with injuries to KMart and Garcia abound, it's looking way better for future prospects.
I will admit that Casspi has surprised me. I wanted either Sam Young, or Casspi with our second first round pick. But my preference was Young, who I still think will be a good player in the league. But I have no regrets about Casspi, whose much better at this point than I thought he could be.

Bricklayer

Casspi was hardly some great sleeper -- he was picked in many mocks to go to us at that pick, and almost universally in the first round. I thnk he's come along faster than anybody thought he would, but the talent and size was pretty obvious.

Obviously Evans alone has that potenital, if he pans out. And of course this is that thing that was fought so hard for so long around here -- in the NBA you get bad to get good. The Maloofs in particular announced years ago they didn't believe that. That was because they were amateurs and really did not understand the league. You get bad to get good. We finally got bad, Petrie got the highest draft pick he has ever had to work with, and maybe just maybe we drafted a star. It makes a huge difference from drafting #12 or something and just taking leftovers.

Adn I still have to say, we came one pick, or one trade that did not pan out, from having just an amazing draft. If we had come home with Reke, Omri and Blair...wow. Could have almost been a 1-draft rebuild.
The Maloofs made the getting bad before you get good process a painfully slow process.

Should have happened 2 or 3 years ago. But then we wouldn't have Evans.