How long will Power Balance Pavilion remain functionable

I was just thinking, if the Board of Governors will not grant the Maloofs the right to relocate based on everything the city has done to work with them on an arena, will they be forced to a couple of years from now if the building becomes structurally unsafe for NBA standards? Can the Maloofs wait this out until that period of time?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It will take a few minutes but I'll find the thread about WHY PBP will not be suitable long-term. Hold on...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Okay, it wasn't as hard as I thought it might be. I've stickied the thread (again) to the top of this forum where it had been for over two years. It just proves further the lack of credibility on the part of the Maloofs. They've known all this stuff for years.

Just to add some context. There are things that can be done to change Arco Arena. But it becomes a question of how much it will cost to address all or most of the identified issues and what benefit it will bring. Simply put, it is cheaper to build a new facility than it is to renovate. It's an extreme renovation that would gut the existing building and add 4 wings. It's a poor investment of public funds because it does nothing to stimulate anything or increase value of the surrounding area.

Just to add some context. There are things that can be done to change Arco Arena. But it becomes a question of how much it will cost to address all or most of the identified issues and what benefit it will bring. Simply put, it is cheaper to build a new facility than it is to renovate. It's an extreme renovation that would gut the existing building and add 4 wings. It's a poor investment of public funds because it does nothing to stimulate anything or increase value of the surrounding area.
Exactly!

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I think people have gone too far with buying the hype that PBP will just collapse at any minute, much of which was perpetrated by the Maloofs themselves. From an out of towners perspective, PBP is still one of the nicer buildings I've been to, no lie. It's always been a question of it's usability and that is certainly lacking if other shows aren't considering the building at times.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
When was the last time you were there, STK? It's really starting to show its age, especially since the Maloofs appear to have been rather derelict in performing things like routine maintenance.

I think people have gone too far with buying the hype that PBP will just collapse at any minute, much of which was perpetrated by the Maloofs themselves. From an out of towners perspective, PBP is still one of the nicer buildings I've been to, no lie. It's always been a question of it's usability and that is certainly lacking if other shows aren't considering the building at times.
Myself having been in other NBA arenas I'm very confused by your assessment. It very much is a dump that has been cheaply designed and built and poorly maintained. VF21 pointed to a thread that listed all it's issues. It's not overstated. I've been lucky enough to tour under the stands when the building was about 10 years old. It looked worn out and run down back then.

Just to add, recently I was lucky enough to enjoy a suite for one game. While it was a fun night and a great experience. I have to say that if I was a business paying large coin for a suite, I would be very disappointed. It was more like a 1980's RV type amenities and decor. It would not be very impressive I had had clients to entertain. To use a 4 star hotel rating, I would give it a 2.5.

These are for your high dollar companies who expect to be impressed. Well I can see that the product on the floor wasn't the only thing they slacked on.

So, in 4 or 5 years it sounds like the Maloofs are going to have legitimate grounds to leave anyways because of lack of suitable facility? This is unfortunately more leverage for them

So, in 4 or 5 years it sounds like the Maloofs are going to have legitimate grounds to leave anyways because of lack of suitable facility? This is unfortunately more leverage for them
They own the building. An alternative was open to them. While the NBA can't force the Maloofs to sign the arena deal or sell, I believe they can prevent the team from playing in "inadequate facilities." If the team is not allowed to leave and the NBA will not allow them to play in Arco, I don't know what they will do.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
It isn't a question of collapsing. It's a matter of being old and functionally and economically obsolete in today's world. Army bunkers from WWII are still standing, but that doesn't mean they are still useful for their intended purpose.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
They own the building. An alternative was open to them. While the NBA can't force the Maloofs to sign the arena deal or sell, I believe they can prevent the team from playing in "inadequate facilities." If the team is not allowed to leave and the NBA will not allow them to play in Arco, I don't know what they will do.
What I wonder, is if Burkle or another investor would invest the missing 73M we need with a backroom agreement from the relocation committee saying they will not let the team leave, period, if the arena is built. Then, given the Maloofs financial troubles, they can't afford to stay at PBP nor can they afford to be tenants in the new arena, where Burkle or the investor group then comes in and buys the team.

I'd think if there were assurances the relocation committee wouldn't consider letting the Maloofs relocate, the chances of Burkle or someone else stepping in and helping with 73M skyrocket.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
What I wonder, is if Burkle or another investor would invest the missing 73M we need with a backroom agreement from the relocation committee saying they will not let the team leave, period, if the arena is built. Then, given the Maloofs financial troubles, they can't afford to stay at PBP nor can they afford to be tenants in the new arena, where Burkle or the investor group then comes in and buys the team.

I'd think if there were assurances the relocation committee wouldn't consider letting the Maloofs relocate, the chances of Burkle or someone else stepping in and helping with 73M skyrocket.
Unfortunately, that's the type of thing a good anti-trust lawyer would be drooling about. ;)

Do you really think the Magoofs can operate at a loss like this for four more years?

The probably move to Anaheim, get up front money and then default on a part of the loan that Samueli gives them in order to move (which would have been agreed on by the Maloofs, and Samueli in a backdoor illegal type move) and Samueli takes over the team, and the Maloofs are high and dry with that up front money, and no reason for having to pay back the NBA or Sacramento.

When was the last time you were there, STK? It's really starting to show its age, especially since the Maloofs appear to have been rather derelict in performing things like routine maintenance.
About a year. I don't doubt there are issues with appearance but you would almost have been convinced (by the Maloofs mind you) that this place was ready to fall over any day now.

Do you really think the Magoofs can operate at a loss like this for four more years?

The probably move to Anaheim, get up front money and then default on a part of the loan that Samueli gives them in order to move (which would have been agreed on by the Maloofs, and Samueli in a backdoor illegal type move) and Samueli takes over the team, and the Maloofs are high and dry with that up front money, and no reason for having to pay back the NBA or Sacramento.
The problem is they are not operating at a loss. The Kings are one of only a handful of teams in the league that are profitable. As long as they keep the payroll to a minimum as I am certain they will, it would be just about impossible for them to make a loss especially with the new revenue sharing kicking into action this season with the new CBA.

It isn't a question of collapsing. It's a matter of being old and functionally and economically obsolete in today's world. Army bunkers from WWII are still standing, but that doesn't mean they are still useful for their intended purpose.

I'm not trying to inflate any idea of it's functionality, I'm responding to the original question in regards to it being structurally unsafe, which regardless of NBA standards if something is unsafe it will be condemned. I don't see that happening any time soon.

Something that has always struck me as dangerous is the upper deck "concourse". Each corner narrows down to a point where only a few people can squeeze through at a time. There aren't enough stairways and ramps to exit the top part quickly enough in case of an emergency. I can't imagine how this design passed the safety inspection.