How I would distribute minutes:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Been giving this a lot of thought, and this is all based on what I know about the players now. That could all change during the preseason. But for now, this is how I would distribute the minutes. Bear in mind this is just an average and doesn't take into account the possibility of injuries, or some players playing multiple positions.

Center: Willie Cauley-Stein - 30 mpg (Starts)
Kosta Koufos - 18 mpg

Power Forward: Zach Randolph - 22 mpg (Starts)
Skal Labrissiere - 26 mpg

Small Forward: Bogdan Bogdanovic - 26 mpg (Starts)
Vince Carter - 12 mpg
Justin Jackson - 10 mpg

Shooting Guard: Garrett Temple - 24 mpg (Starts)
Buddy Hield - 24 mpg

Point Guard: George Hill - 26 mpg (Starts)
De'Aaron Fox - 22 mpg

Bench: Frank Mason
Malachi Richardson

Reno: G. Papagiannis
Harry Giles

This would be to start the season of course, and adjustments would come later. After watching Bogdanovic play in the last few games, I'm convinced that he needs to start somewhere, so I'm sticking him at the SF spot. The way I look at it, at least right now, Bog's is better at running the pick and roll. He's a better ballhandler, and passer, and probably just as good a shooter as Hield. He tends to make his teammates better and is excellent at controlling the tempo of the game. Sorry, he's just a better player right now than Buddy is. I don't care who started at the end of last season.

I think the Kings would like to get games off to a good start and I think that starting lineup would help do that. I think as Jackson improves, he might start eating into Carter's minutes, and It's possible for Jackson to steal some minutes at PF when the matchups allow, just because of his length. I think you have to keep Mason around because of Hill's history of injuries, and Malachi is sort of a Swiss army knife player who would be handy to have on the bench. I'm sure he'll get minutes here and there. He has to stay healthy.

Zach only averaged 23 minutes a game last season, so it's possible that he'll average even less than the 22 minutes I've allotted to him. My point is, these minutes aren't etched in stone, and as the young players improve their minutes will increase. There will probably be times when Koufos is at center and they move Willie to PF because of matchup's. For instance, if the Warriors were to move Durant to PF, you can't expect either Randolph or Skal to be effective on defense, but Willie could at least make him work hard for his points. Hey, just killing time here for the next eight days. :rolleyes:

dude12

Hall of Famer
Been giving this a lot of thought, and this is all based on what I know about the players now. That could all change during the preseason. But for now, this is how I would distribute the minutes. Bear in mind this is just an average and doesn't take into account the possibility of injuries, or some players playing multiple positions.

Kosta Koufos - 18 mpg

Vince Carter - 12 mpg
Justin Jackson - 10 mpg

Buddy Hield - 24 mpg

De'Aaron Fox - 22 mpg

Malachi Richardson

Harry Giles

This would be to start the season of course, and adjustments would come later. After watching Bogdanovic play in the last few games, I'm convinced that he needs to start somewhere, so I'm sticking him at the SF spot. The way I look at it, at least right now, Bog's is better at running the pick and roll. He's a better ballhandler, and passer, and probably just as good a shooter as Hield. He tends to make his teammates better and is excellent at controlling the tempo of the game. Sorry, he's just a better player right now than Buddy is. I don't care who started at the end of last season.

I think the Kings would like to get games off to a good start and I think that starting lineup would help do that. I think as Jackson improves, he might start eating into Carter's minutes, and It's possible for Jackson to steal some minutes at PF when the matchups allow, just because of his length. I think you have to keep Mason around because of Hill's history of injuries, and Malachi is sort of a Swiss army knife player who would be handy to have on the bench. I'm sure he'll get minutes here and there. He has to stay healthy.

Zach only averaged 23 minutes a game last season, so it's possible that he'll average even less than the 22 minutes I've allotted to him. My point is, these minutes aren't etched in stone, and as the young players improve their minutes will increase. There will probably be times when Koufos is at center and they move Willie to PF because of matchup's. For instance, if the Warriors were to move Durant to PF, you can't expect either Randolph or Skal to be effective on defense, but Willie could at least make him work hard for his points. Hey, just killing time here for the next eight days. :rolleyes:
It all looks reasonable. I've been thinking for a while that Joerger goes with a 3 guard lineup so that Temple, Hield AND BB8 get minutes.

I'd probably adjust Skal's minutes if I was going to nitpick and add to Koufos....2-4 minutes or so. Yes, that means we could see a Koufos and WCS lineup.....wouldn't surprise me.

I also think that these minute breakdowns are based on all players playing 82 games and I think we will see Carter sitting games....possibly Zbo too...in an effort to manage their health. When that happens, we will see a bump in time for some of these guys. I think Carter plays 22-24 minutes when he does play, limiting Jackson to the bench and then he and Malachi getting more minutes when Carter sits.

Pretty much how I see it.

I think early on Hill and Carter will play a little more, but by the end of the season it will look like that.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I would figure that Bogdan and Temple will flip, with Temple starting at SF, because best I can tell he's got better size and a better chance of defending opposing 3s and Bogdan's ball handling and passing playing better with the ball in his hands more often at SG. The minutes total could stay similar because we could probably go with a three-guard lineup once the opponent's main SF goes to the bench relatively often, and we certainly have more strength at guard than we do on the wing.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think Buddy is going to have more minutes than Temple. If he doesn't, then he's going to have a disappointing season, imo.

Giles is a true wild card. Yes, he could be a Reno player for most of the season, but he could also come out of nowhere to see some pretty decent minutes.

I don't know what to make of Papa at this point. I thought he was a total bust; then I thought I was totally wrong about him being a total bust; now I'm thinking I was right to begin with. Who knows what I'm going to be thinking about him 20 games into the season.

As for Skal, it would be nice for him to have more minutes than Randolph because that implies that he's playing better than Randolph. I wish it were so, but I have to see it to believe it at this point. I think Skal's strength program is going to take at least another year before doesn't get out-muscled by most NBA forwards.

Koufos had a bad hand virtually all of last year, and he played through the pain. I'd like nothing better than for Koufos to have a great year this year and even get more than the 18 minutes a game. I love tough guys, and nobody can say Koufos isn't tough.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Speaking of Koufos, if Papa can provide some reliable minutes AND Giles looks healthy down in Reno and ready to contribute, I expect to see Koufos traded to a team who needs a quality big in a playoff run. I'd think the trade would come closer to the trade deadline giving our young guys time to prove themselves.

PG:
Hill - 24 min
Fox - 18 min
Temple - 6 min
SG:
Hield - 24 min
Bogdanovic - 18 min
Temple - 6 min
SF:
Temple - 12 min
Jackson - 18 min
Bogdanovic - 6 min
Carter - 12 min
PF:
Labissiere - 24 min
Randolph - 24 min
C:
Cauley-Stein - 24 min
Koufos - 24 min

Giles, Papa & Mason to get most of their minutes in Reno. Malachi, too, until he proves the hammy problem is behind him.

Basically what I hope to see is the playing time spread around so we have fresh legs for every 4th quarter. ;-)

Hill 24 - Fox 24

Hield 28 - Temple 16 - Hill 4

Temple 8 - Carter 16 - Bogdanovic 24

Randolph 24 - Labissiere 24

WCS 28 - Koufos 20

Hill 28
Hield 28
WCS 28
Fox 24
Randolph 24
Labissiere 24
Bogdanovic 24
Temple 24
Koufus 20
Carter 16

Joerger is going to give solid playing time for all the guys in the rotation. He's going to have a core group that plays at least 30 minutes every night. Then he's going to rotate the lineup and switch who plays big bench/starter minutes, every 5 to 10 games. I can almost guarantee you that Buddy, and Hill are going to play at least 30 mpg this season. Bogdan is a bit of a wild card. If he plays well then I could see him taking most of SG/SF bench minutes every night. Temple is a solid player, but i'm not sure he's going to be able to win minutes over Bogdan.

If Bogdan looks good then I think Temple will play very little. Fans here don't exactly overrate him, but in my opinion...he's not that great of a player to be taking minutes over a potential star rookie. He will be sacrificed to shed more minutes for the young guards. However, he'll always be Joergers first go to guy when the rooks aren't playing well.

I think Fox will be given lots of rest during the season. He's gonna play big minutes for 3-5 games, then he'll go back to maybe 20 mpg for 3-5 games...and so on and so forth. He obviously does not have an NBA ready body. He got pounded in the Summer league. He's gonna need some nice little breaks throughout the season to heal up quick, watch the game a bit, and learn as much as he can.

I have no idea what to expect from the front court though!

Last edited:
I hope this season will be to develop our youngs without winning pressure, and in that case:

PG
Fox 30
Hill 18
Mason 5
I guess Hill will start the season, and i don't mind Fox coming off the bench, but as season goes, he should take the starting spot. I don't see a reason why he shouldn't get his real chance in the first season.

SG
Hield 28
Bogdan 10
Temple 10
Bogdan coming off the bench, and then playing at SF during the game later.

SF
Temple 10
Bogdan 15
Carter 10
Jackson 15
I really hope that duo Hield-Bogdan can work well at the same time on the court. Because if Kings develop both to the level they could reach and don't let them play together at same time, one will have to be traded probably. I don't want that to happen :D Trio Fox-Hield-Bogdan would give a lot of offensive potential for the Kings. Shooting, creating, running pick and rolls, playing in transition, running the fastbreaks... really tough to guard. Hield would have a lot of open shoots with Fox and Bogdan passing.

PF
Labissiere 28
Randolph 20
Gilles 5

C
WCS 30
Koufos 15
PapaG 8
I think WCS is ready to have 30+ minutes games.

Those are only my wishes. I know i can't expect that much playing time for young guys with Joerger, but i would be a bit dissapointed if Hill, Carter, Randolph, Koufos and Temple play more then 30 minutes.

Depends on how Joerger wants to run this team. Everything screamed uptempo, guard dominant team with loads of 3 pt shooting up until shortly after draft night, but then we decided to add tough and slow "old farts" like Zbo and Carter to the mix along with a PG in his late prime, who is known to be a good defender and shooter, but isn't entirely a guy to run the offense through. I know it's all about mentorship and culture these days, but still Joerger has to decide, which players will be the key components to his approach of the game.
I sincereley hope, that our vets are only here for teaching purposes and we d0n't adjust our gameplan too much to fit them in. Because apart from figleaf arguments like culture the DMC trade gave us two real benefits for the future:
1. we have plenty of young guys to develop and if Divac is as competent as a GM as some of you think he is, some of the young guys should develop into solid to great NBA players

2. we have the chance to adjust our playstyle without thinking about how it fits our lone all-star anymore. We can built an idea how to play in todays NBA from the ground up.

This idea should be centered around the personell, which is in SAC for the longrun. So from day 1 of this rebuilding season, it should be about the young guys and how to make the most out of their strengths and how to cover their weaknesses as best as possible.
And from fan perspective the main strength of these squad of young players is their speed and mobility.
It's not necessarily about who is starting or who is getting most of the minutes. It's more about how the team approaches the game. When we are constantly slowing things down to let Zbo get to work, we won't do our young guys any favours. When we are using the same high post sets as in SL, I will have a difficult time to live through the season. I don't want a year of Fox's career go to waste or another year of Willies career becoming once again meaningless, because we continue to try to force players play in a way, that's not made for them.

It's got to be: play defense, play together, play outside-inside and run run run!
If Zbo, Carter or Hill aren't able to keep up with the pace, so be it. Cut their minutes if need be and use them as change of pace options off the bench, when our primary game plan is about to fail. Let them do their coaching thing, if you truly believe into the necessity of such things, but don't let them influence our style of play.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Here is a good question.......disregard injuries and DNP's.... which player will lead us in minutes per game at the end of the season?

Was leaning towards WCS because of the logjam at Guard but I'm going out on a limb and say Bogdanovich who will see minutes at the 2 and 3.

Here is a good question.......disregard injuries and DNP's.... which player will lead us in minutes per game at the end of the season?

Was leaning towards WCS because of the logjam at Guard but I'm going out on a limb and say Bogdanovich who will see minutes at the 2 and 3.
I'm rooting for Jackson. In SL he looked like he is ready for some NBA minutes. He has the size to play 3 and 4. And with him at PF, we could play some really exciting lineups with up to 4 shooters around Fox (yeah against smaller less bulky teams I would absolutely play Skal at center for some spot minutes).
Speed beats bulk....

Without using a calculator to get the exact minutes here is how i think it will go for each player by years end. Meaning they will finish the season with this avg per game, taking into account injuries, rest for vets, changes in rotation.

PG's:
Hill- 30 mpg
Fox- 27 mpg
Mason- 8 mpg

SG's:
Hield- 28 mpg
Bogdan- 26 mpg
Malachi- 10 mpg

SF's
Temple- 28 mpg
Carter- 17 mpg
Jackson- 18 mpg

PF's:
ZBO- 24 mpg
Skal- 22mpg
Giles- 5 mpg

C's:
WCS- 30 mpg
Koufos- 18 mpg
Papa- 10 mpg

I think the closing lineup at start of season will be Hill, Hield, Temple, ZBO, WCS. But can see Bogdanovic and Fox working themselves into it. Also Vince Carter will win us one or two games this year somehow.

Kosta Koufos - 18 mpg

Vince Carter - 12 mpg
Justin Jackson - 10 mpg

Buddy Hield - 24 mpg

De'Aaron Fox - 22 mpg

Malachi Richardson

Harry Giles

Only adjustment I'd make is Buddy gets 30 mins and Temple gets 18-20.

Also, I assume this is an early season projection. By end of season, Fox better be getting close to 30 a game.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Malachi and Giles are wild cards for me. I don't think Hield has done enough to warrant guaranteed minutes. Not yet at least
I would be very surprised if Hield wasn't in the rotation and getting at least 20 minutes per game on average. I just don't think we have enough guys who are worthy of taking up 30+ minutes a game to eat into his time any more than that, and he was pretty good in his Sac minutes last year.

I'm thinking Hill. He's in his prime and can slide to 2 once Fox starts pushing for more minutes. I'd say Buddy as well, but the SG glut gives me pause.

I am going to say Justin Jackson leads the Kings in Minutes. His offensive game should translate and he has the size to play stretch 4. He shoots the 3 very well. At the 3 he can handle and he has the sweet floater that is money! I think he will be hard to keep off the floor if the ball keeps going through the hoop.

PG:
Hill 28 min
Fox 20 min

SG
Hield 30 min
Richardson 12 min
Bogdanovic 6 min

SF
Temple 22 min
Bogdanovic 16 min
Carter 10 min

PF
Labissiere 28 min
Randolph 20 min

C
WCS 30 min
Koufos 14 min
Randolph 4 min

This is what I'm hoping for. I'm honestly thinking that Bogdanovic won't be getting as many minutes as some people think, and Richardson will be in the rotation. Why? Because while Bogdan may be an elite player in Europe, he hasn't played a minute in the NBA yet. Joerger doesn't just hand the keys over to rookies, I don't see why that changes with Bogdanovic.

Papa, Giles, and Mason are in Reno.

In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised to see these minute estimates for the vets wind up low, particularly for Carter and Koufos. I don't hate Koufos as a player, but I wish he had been traded because I think he is ill-fit for the roster with the way Joerger uses him, aka the two center death lineups of Koufos and WCS/DMC. Of all the things I DON'T want to see this year, that's probably at the top.

I think the rotation at the beginning of the year will be significantly different from the end of the year as the young guys prove themselves. The Vets will get bigger minutes at the beginning of the year and the young guys will get more run as they prove themselves and show the coaching staff that they can handle more. I think of the rookies Bogdanovic will get the most minutes because he's the best one at this point.

You'll lose the team fast with that kind of rotation, no team survives minutes distribution like that, at least over a long period of time. That type of coaching is what led Bonzi to the Kings. It also tanks player value because none of them are able to hit statistical productivity levels that wows opposing GM's. The super young guys like Skal and Papa can survive reduced roles and players like Zbo and Carter doesn't expect to play major minutes everyone else will be caught in the middle.

Sometimes trying to pack all the ingredients into one cake just ruins it.

I think Buddy is going to have more minutes than Temple. If he doesn't, then he's going to have a disappointing season, imo.

Giles is a true wild card. Yes, he could be a Reno player for most of the season, but he could also come out of nowhere to see some pretty decent minutes.

I don't know what to make of Papa at this point. I thought he was a total bust; then I thought I was totally wrong about him being a total bust; now I'm thinking I was right to begin with. Who knows what I'm going to be thinking about him 20 games into the season.

As for Skal, it would be nice for him to have more minutes than Randolph because that implies that he's playing better than Randolph. I wish it were so, but I have to see it to believe it at this point. I think Skal's strength program is going to take at least another year before doesn't get out-muscled by most NBA forwards.

Koufos had a bad hand virtually all of last year, and he played through the pain. I'd like nothing better than for Koufos to have a great year this year and even get more than the 18 minutes a game. I love tough guys, and nobody can say Koufos isn't tough.
Not to mention the Kings are tanking the value of their main Cuz trade piece. If they really believe in Buddy that much they need to give him the keys. Any team has to have some set pecking order and a top few players they rely on to get them into the games.

I look at this way, what team can realistically play guys spot minutes 12 deep and not look like absolute garbage? Not even the Warriors do that or probably even can do that. You'd have to have the deepest most proficient roster to see real success doing it. A mixed bag of young/old Kings are in for a world of hurt if they think they can fit them all in.

I am going to say Justin Jackson leads the Kings in Minutes. His offensive game should translate and he has the size to play stretch 4. He shoots the 3 very well. At the 3 he can handle and he has the sweet floater that is money! I think he will be hard to keep off the floor if the ball keeps going through the hoop.
I don't know if he will lead in minutes but I think he's being slept on if SL is any indication. If Hield/Bogdan can't play together I see JJ starting

I hope this season will be to develop our youngs without winning pressure, and in that case:

PG
Fox 30
Hill 18
Mason 5
I guess Hill will start the season, and i don't mind Fox coming off the bench, but as season goes, he should take the starting spot. I don't see a reason why he shouldn't get his real chance in the first season.

SG
Hield 28
Bogdan 10
Temple 10
Bogdan coming off the bench, and then playing at SF during the game later.

SF
Temple 10
Bogdan 15
Carter 10
Jackson 15
I really hope that duo Hield-Bogdan can work well at the same time on the court. Because if Kings develop both to the level they could reach and don't let them play together at same time, one will have to be traded probably. I don't want that to happen :D Trio Fox-Hield-Bogdan would give a lot of offensive potential for the Kings. Shooting, creating, running pick and rolls, playing in transition, running the fastbreaks... really tough to guard. Hield would have a lot of open shoots with Fox and Bogdan passing.

PF
Labissiere 28
Randolph 20
Gilles 5

C
WCS 30
Koufos 15
PapaG 8
I think WCS is ready to have 30+ minutes games.

Those are only my wishes. I know i can't expect that much playing time for young guys with Joerger, but i would be a bit dissapointed if Hill, Carter, Randolph, Koufos and Temple play more then 30 minutes.
Will be interesting to see if Buddy/Bogdan can play together

Malachi and Giles are wild cards for me. I don't think Hield has done enough to warrant guaranteed minutes. Not yet at least
Did you watch the games that Buddy played for us? He did well. Not great, but well. The best SG we've had in a number of years. You can argue that Bogs will be better than Buddy. But Bogs still has to prove himself in the NBA. So Buddy is our #1 option at SG. At least until Bogs can move up the ladder.