How good Rick Adelman is

I've been meaning to type up this post for awhile now... and it's funny because I always ended up not doing it. Well, that needs to change.

Looking back on Rick Adelman's career, it's always been funny to me the lack of respect he's gotten. The amount of wins through injuries, new players and adversity he's had speak for themselves -- at least in my eyes.

The majority of players that have come to Sacramento in the Rick Adelman-era have enjoyed the best years of their careers here. They've been the benefactors of a pass-first offense where they also became believers. Getting a group of 12 NBA players with their large egos and large paychecks all on the same page and all contributing towards the same goal is very difficult. Most franchises rely on a star system to win them games -- but Sacramento is one of the few franchises that relies on the team.

Instead of one or two guys shouldering the majority of the load and the rest filling their roles, Sacramento approaches things with a team unity where every player is expected to be a solid part of the system.

Building a system like this took guts and a lot of patience because it's a system very few NBA teams have even tried. Most people feel that if you don't go the conventional way, you're doomed to fail and it's better off to imitate what everyone else is doing.

Rick was daring enough to fully implement a system that was different than anyone else's, and because of this he's made a team where people that have never played in the motion offense can come in immediately and make major contributions and play through numerous injuries to key personnel and yet through it all, still have a highly successful team.

Look back on the ridiculous amount of injuries Sacramento has had. Most other teams would be dead in the water many times over again if they went through even half the amount of health problems the Kings have had. Yet, Sacramento persevered and continued to win many of their games.

It's also a testament to Adelman's abilities about how successful most of the players are when they come to Sacramento. I said before that people usually have the best years of their career here, and it's a wonderful system that enables them to do this. The mid-season acquisition of Cuttino Mobley is a great example. Without much time to practice, Mobley was able to come in and make big contributions to this team. Most players usually take weeks or more than likely months before they make the impact Mobley was able to make almost from day one.

Adelman certainly isn't the only reason why Sac has had success, but he's a BIG part of the reason why.

So next time you see guys like Kenny Thomas and Brian Skinner who were making a minimal impact on a team like the Sixers come into Sacramento and play great basketball for the Kings, just remember that they're playing in a system that really lets them contribute and show off what they're capable of.

And do keep in mind who's the main force behind this system, our coach, Rick Adelman.

Great post and I couldn't agree with you more. I have always been a diehard Adelman supporter and I feel fortunate that we have a man like him to coach our team...I don't think people realize how very few truly great coaches there are and that he is most definitely one of them....I can't imagine where we'd be today if we had let Adelman go when the first idiot started screaming for his dismissal...I love the style of play that he encourages and I don't want to see our team in anyone else's hands...I have grown to trust his judgement and trust his vision for our team. GO ADELMAN!! CONGRATS! 701 and still counting!

I wasn't always the biggest Adelman supporter either, but like you -- I've grown to trust his judgment and his ability. Like everyone, he's got his upsides and downsides as a coach, but when all is said and done I think we have one of the few truly great coaches in the NBA.

don't forget the rest of the system, too, from the top down. the maloofs are known around the league and are very popular for treating players very well, making sacramento an ideal place to play. petrie is a big part of the princeton offense (after all, he went there) that is so critical to the team approach of the kings. the rest of the organization performs exceptionally well, and yet most people around the league and the national media don't seem to respect that- despite gp's 2 exec of the year awards. it always irks me that if it weren't for horry's three and a freak injury to webber, the kings would be the patriots of the nba, embodying everything that's good about sports. instead, we're just a bunch of softies (from charles barkley) because we run a team and not just a posse for a superstar.

Excellent post, Catalyst. I agree 110%. :) This is why I hope Adelman coach the Kings for a very long time. Great system he runs. I also would like to thank Pete Carrill, Petrie and the Maloofs.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Catalyst, not everyone will agree with you (although I do). I will say that yours was an extremely well thought out and written post. Thanks!!