How does front office view Reke? (split)

Kingster

Hall of Famer
My question is: How does Kings management and coaching staff see Tyreke's position? (One can't keep up with every bit of info they might have mentioned in the media). The only thing I've heard is that they view him as someone "who can play the 1, 2 or the 3." Are there any other snippets of info out there to give us an idea of what they are thinking?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
My question is: How does Kings management and coaching staff see Tyreke's position? (One can't keep up with every bit of info they might have mentioned in the media). The only thing I've heard is that they view him as someone "who can play the 1, 2 or the 3." Are there any other snippets of info out there to give us an idea of what they are thinking?
I think this is being hashed out in about 20 different threads already. Basically, the front office isn't saying much of anything right now about Evans nor would I expect them to. He's a restricted free agent. Nobody wants to tip their hands.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Since this has been talked about in a number of threads, I'll copy and paste my response from another thread pertaining to it. Basically, after thinking about it I'd be shocked if the plan isn't a Reke/MLM backcourt. And no, even though Kingster accused me of disliking or minimizing MLM because I like Reke, I actually think they're a great pair, cover each other's weaknesses and even improve each other's strengths. It's speculation but I think they'll fit very well together as well as around DFC.

Now, after thinking about this today, I think the obvious plan is to run out a Reke/MLM backcourt. It makes too much sense, it's an obvious pairing. What do we say a lot during the season? We ask, what would Pop do. What would PJax do. Well, given this roster, they'd pair the two together. I don't think the league, and specifically Malone/PDA forgot what Reke did as a 20 yr old. They recognize the talent. No if you have a talent like that and recognize Reke was best with the ball in his hands, the next logical step is to pair him with a guy like MLM, and if that were the case if makes complete sense why he was such a target for our FO. It also would make sense why PDA/Vivek appear to be downplaying Reke right now as any public comments showing how they value him will bump up his price. I get the impression they're being quiet and hoping to quickly sign Reke next week, and they need to as he has a caphold until he's either signed or goes elsewhere.

And, I think the reason it's hard for us to assume PDA/Malone would run out a Reke/MLM backcourt and we have reservations about it(some of us don't doubt it would work, just that it is the actual plan), is mostly due to our minds being polluted by the Maloof/Smart era. We have to think about what the rest of the league would do, and hands down I think most if given the option with this roster wouldn't hesitate to run out a Reke/MLM backcourt. But we're almost hesitant to believe that because of the Reke is NAPG crowd which has polluted Sac for 2+ years and Smart deciding he'd be best as a 2 or a 3 with half the touches he used to get. But as a few here have said all along, he's best with the ball, would be better with a lights out shooter who's not ball dominant like MLM, and even better in a system with structure, similar to GS last year which I bring up because the key player in running that system is now our head coach. It makes too much sense(we'd run out a slightly different version of a Steph/Klay backcourt). Ask yourself, would this be that tough to believe if we didn't just suffer through the Maloof/Smart era? I say no.

I assume some might think he can play PG and some probably want to keep him at SG.

Judging by who they drafted some probably think Evans is going to walk and that McLemore is his replacement, and some think Evans will be moved to PG.

Some think Evans will remain starting SG and McLemore will come off the bench at the start of the season.

I can't assume I know what the FO is thinking but the Kings have been losing for years and I am sure they will look at everything that has happened and figure out how to move forward.

And no Rain, I am not polluting anything, I have a differing opinion..

I assume some might think he can play PG and some probably want to keep him at SG.

Judging by who they drafted some probably think Evans is going to walk and that McLemore is his replacement, and some think Evans will be moved to PG.

Some think Evans will remain starting SG and McLemore will come off the bench at the start of the season.

I can't assume I know what the FO is thinking but the Kings have been losing for years and I am sure they will look at everything that has happened and figure out how to move forward.

And no Rain, I am not polluting anything, I have a differing opinion..
I'm calling Evans as the starting SF if he resigns.

I'm thinking they want to bring him back as a pg. With MLM playing next to him we'll need a sf that can handle the ball... that's why I'm also predicting another year of Salmons at sf.

If Reke is not brought back then my thinking changes and I would bet we bring in either Brewer or Iggy... would make too much sense as we'll have money to spend and Pete D just had success with those guys in Denver and now they're both fa's.

So I guess "worst case" is Cousins/Thompson/Brewer/MLM/IT while "best case" is Cousins/Thompson/Salmons/MLM/Reke. That's my thinking at least.... I'm on board either way although I'm really hoping they like Reke as much as I do.

I'm calling Evans as the starting SF if he resigns.
I am not a fan of his at SF, but who knows what the FO will do with him if he does re-sign. They obviously liked MLM, saying they wanted to move up to #2 to get him, so I say it's probably 50/50 that he starts this year. We all know he's going to be at SG so that either puts Evans at SF, PG, or he walks. I would put each at a 33% chance.

I have absolutely no idea. What drafting 2 guards (who actually have a defined position) tells us is the FO isn't happy with the glut of guards we already have. Someone will be shipped off this offseason. Just a matter of who

Picking up the QO was a no brainer move. That doesn't necessarily mean we want to move on with him.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I think Kingster is asking if there is any indication from what we have heard from the FO about what the plans are. I would say that we know nothing much. I just hope this doesn't turn into a thread like half of the threads here of people throwing out their personal wishes as if they know that is what the FO is thinking. He is asking for snippets of information that has been said by the Kings organization. I think it is clear he wants facts and not guesses. It's a good question and may drag us back to reality.

I have heard no facts except there will be a change of culture, whatever that means, and defense will be stressed. Make of that what you wish but my guess, and we all have our guesses don't we, that he wants defensive capable people on the team. Malone has said that he doesn't necessarily need the player to be a great defender but simply to have the capacity to defend. They want high character guys, gym rats, etc. I think McLemore fits with all of this as he is a good defender. Tyreke and Douglas are good defenders. I can only assume that none have killed anyone or whatever it is that low character people do.

As to contracts, they have stayed away from discussing Tyreke as they are in negotiations. They have extended him a qualifying offer. This makes Tyreke a RFA. No other player who could get one has been presented with a qualifying offer like Douglas and Johnson. Some people think that IT has automatically been resigned but I haven't heard that as a fact. Aldrich hasn't been offered anything. I am assuming from these facts as I know them that Aldrich, Douglas, IT, and Johnson will be unrestricted free agents as of July 1.

I know he asked only about Tyreke but I added the other 4 players to give a comparison as to what the Kings management is doing with other players that could leave this team by being let go.

I think it is a fact that free agency starts July 1 and negotiations can start and no one can be signed until July 10. Please correct me where I am wrong. I hope I haven't added opinions.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think Kingster is asking if there is any indication from what we have heard from the FO about what the plans are. I would say that we know nothing much. I just hope this doesn't turn into a thread like half of the threads here of people throwing out their personal wishes as if they know that is what the FO is thinking. He is asking for snippets of information that has been said by the Kings organization. I think it is clear he wants facts and not guesses. It's a good question and may drag us back to reality...
Yep. That's why I split it into its own thread. :)

I have absolutely no idea. What drafting 2 guards (who actually have a defined position) tells us is the FO isn't happy with the glut of guards we already have. Someone will be shipped off this offseason. Just a matter of who

Picking up the QO was a no brainer move. That doesn't necessarily mean we want to move on with him.
not exactly, pete said they just pick best available players. mean nothing for the player already in place.

After FO was giddy about a Kings player still under contract, player's agent immediately came out and demanded max contract right now. They learned their lesson quickly - I think there were a couple positive comments about Evans early on, but that was put on hold, until the situation resolved, and that's the reason for information leak through Carmichael Dave.

Last edited:
pretty sure Glenn and Gilles have the truth of it. PDA has been very careful about saying anything concerning Reke and his value for the team. when he was directly asked about it, the first thing he went to was negotiations and the only statement he made was that Reke was a talent. where precisely the front office is at concerning Reke is pretty much impossible to tell, considering that they'll probably continue to play it very close to the vest and I'd be very careful about taking CD's "leak" at face value.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
http://www.sacbee.com/2013/06/30/553...dro-plans.html

After seasons repeatedly disrupted by coaching changes, massive ownership issues and chronic and oppressive threats of relocation, Year One of the new regime isn't the time to rid the roster of its two young stars...

..."I'm going to be really aggressive," D'Alessandro said. "I feel I owe it to the team and the community to make an aggressive move, and I think because we're new, we're an attractive team. Smart players are going to look at us and realize that we're going to get things done..

...D'Alessandro, an attorney and former player agent, is engaged in ongoing conversations with Evans' agent, Arn Tellem. But he isn't alone. The fifth-year guard is generating considerable interest, with his market value tentatively projected between $8 million and $10 million annually.
What we wanted to hear and nothing unexpected.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
http://www.sacbee.com/2013/06/30/5534480/ailene-voisin-dalessandro-plans.html

"I love shooters and guys who attack the rim," D'Alessandro said. "McLemore and Evans seems to make a lot of sense."
Well look, that's about as clear and encouraging a message as you are going to get from an NBA GM. Hell, after years of searching for farm animals crowing on the moon and whatnot after every rare Geoff Petrie statement, the above might be the most direct statement a Sacramento GM has made in decades.

And splashy names who happen to pass well and would be nifty to have to fill that playmaking SF role include Iggy and AK47, guys who we've only wanted as a fanbase for 4 years now. So go Pete. Hope he's serious. Questions of money have been raised in the past, but:

C- Cousins
PF- ?
SF- Iggy
SG- McLemore
PG- Evans

would be as strong and athletic a lineup as any team in the league. You could lineup across from Miami with that group and not blink atheltically. But McLemore would have to be the real deal as a shooter.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Well look, that's about as clear and encouraging a message as you are going to get from an NBA GM. Hell, after years of searching for farm animals crowing on the moon and whatnot after every rare Geoff Petrie statement, the above might be the most direct statement a Sacramento GM has made in decades.

And splashy names who happen to pass well and would be nifty to have to fill that playmaking SF role include Iggy and AK47, guys who we've only wanted as a fanbase for 4 years now. So go Pete. Hope he's serious. Questions of money have been raised in the past, but:

C- Cousins
PF- ?
SF- Iggy
SG- McLemore
PG- Evans

would be as strong and athletic a lineup as any team in the league. You could lineup across from Miami with that group and not blink atheltically. But McLemore would have to be the real deal as a shooter.
Plugging in PPat at the 4 spot in that line-up would definitely help with spacing with that group. Now if we somehow managed to pawn off one or two of MT/IT/Jimmer for a shot blocker, things would be looking real good. A big guard rotation of Reke/BMac/Salmons(also recieving back up minutes at the 3) would have the potential for defense galore (Iggy would certainly help in that aspect). Keeping IT as the bench spark plug and using him instead of (or in conjunction with) the Fish wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing either.

Reke/IT/McCallum
BMac/Salmons/Remaining guard
Iggy/Salmons/Outlaw
PPat/JT/Chuckwagon
Cuz/(Shotblocker goes here)/Coletrain

The thought of having a backcourt that doesn't simply wilt away from the other team on defense is making me drool.

Last edited:
Yes, that's certainly encouraging. Hope he does everything he can to make that backcourt a reality.

C- Cousins
PF- ?
SF- Iggy
SG- McLemore
PG- Evans

That's one thing I'm confident in. His form is picture perfect, I'm not sure I've seen a college prospect that's better at squaring up off screens and cuts, his footwork is really excellent. He gets great lift as well, it's not easy to block him. If he can get open, which he really should be able to given his athleticism, he won't have problems knocking down shots at a good rate. We've all been weary of getting ahead of ourselves about him as a prospect, but he's really very talented. I think he probably dropped because of his interviews - he often seems nervous and doesn't make a lot of sense or doesn't answer questions properly. But I've seen other interviews where he's very natural, confident and smart. And most importantly, he's actually a very smart player on the court. He never forces anything (too unselfish and where the assertion question marks have come from) and is a pretty decent passer. I don't see any downside to the pick, depending on what we do with 'Reke. At the very least, you have a rich mans Klay Thompson. If it all works out, you might have much more. Anyway, that's off-topic, but I'm excited at the prospect of a Tyreke/McLemore backcourt, and I'm obviously a believer in McLemore's talent.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
The comment that makes the most sense and I wish somewhere along the line I had used it is that it makes sense to play McLemore/Evans/Cousins at least one year together to see how it works. That's a paraphrase of course. None of us knows how it will work and there is only one way to answer the question. Wouldn't we all feel very, very bad if another team picked up Evans and he blew up and became an all star PG? Whether or not he will can be debated endlessly and I am sure it will but I would not like to look back in retrospect and wonder if the Evans/McLemore combo would have worked. We have the opportunity to find out.

The FO is not only making all the right noises as far as I am concerned but their reasoning is good. I believe it was PDA commenting on McCloud as a scout saying that he liked him as McCloud would not say "man, I found a great athlete" but would say "man, I found an athlete who is a great fit." Seems like all of them are thinking beyond the simplistic great athlete approach and more towards creating a team with complimentary parts. Now they want to see if Evans and McLemore are a great fit and by almost all ways of predict it, they WILL be a great fit. It goes beyond the typical "is Tyreke a PG' argument but goes to "is Tyreke a good PG when aligned with McLemore, Cuz and maybe Iggy" argument.

On the whole, we have reason to be happy. I love the comment that they would be aggressive. I believe that translates to meaning they will be willing to spend money and also be pro-active.

just caught up to this voison article. color me pleased. now we just have to wait and see if the kings will make a significant offer to tyreke or if they'll wait for the market to do it for them. in any case, i feel much better about the chances of evans remaining in sacramento than i did on draft night...

Voisin's article is extremely encouraging and lets us know this new regime has its finger on the right pulse with respect to what's working for this team already.

Re-sign Evans, S&T Iggy for a Thornton headlined package, get yourself a shotblocker project to develop on the bench and you're sitting very pretty at the end of this off-season.

Funny how you guys just assume that means Evans/McLemore backcourt. He doesn't say they would be playing together or both would be in the backcourt.

And yet the next part is left out.

Whether it comes from the three (small forward) or one (point guard), we need better passing. I've said that from Day One. But small forward definitely, I do think there's a void there."

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/06/30/5534480/ailene-voisin-dalessandro-plans.html#storylink=cpy
This would imply that they are looking at adding a facilitator at either PG or SF. Which means they don't see Evans as the facilitator.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Funny how you guys just assume that means Evans/McLemore backcourt. He doesn't say they would be playing together or both would be in the backcourt.

This would imply that they are looking at adding a facilitator at either PG or SF. Which means they don't see Evans as the facilitator.
Lol. Your reaction isn't unexpected. And I wouldn't be surprised if a few of you kick and scream about the obvious plan.

Funny how you ignored this part.

"I love shooters and guys who attack the rim," D'Alessandro said. "McLemore and Evans seems to make a lot of sense."

But you're the one going around projecting Reke at SF next year, so really you attempting to cover yourself instead of using logic really isn't shocking at all.

Glenn

Hall of Famer

Without re-reading the article I thought the idea of trying Tyreke and Ben was on their minds. Also, adding Iggy merely patches the team with Tyreke as a moderately good facilitator but doesn't mean they think he is awful. A team with Iggy, Tyreke, and Cuz is facilitation by committee. You are implying that there can only be one facilitator on the team or so it seems to me. I don't agree with that at all but then we will see, won't we?

Lol. Your reaction isn't unexpected. And I wouldn't be surprised if a few of you kick and scream about the obvious plan.

Funny how you ignored this part.

But you're the one going around projecting Reke at SF next year, so really you attempting to cover yourself instead of using logic really isn't shocking at all.
No where in that statement does it mean Evans and McLemore in the backcourt. It means he likes Evans as a guy who attacks the rim and McLemore as a shooter.