How Big is Too Big?

Engagement rings (for those with other thoughts).....

http://www.brandyway.com/news/

Brandy And Quentin Richardson Get Engaged

According to People Magazine, NBA star Quentin 'Q' Richardson surprised Brandy and popped the question at a private reception at LA's Century Club this past Tuesday. Both their families were there.

Q made sure everything was right. The club was decorated with rose petals. The diamond ring is 11.5 carats and valued at $1 million. The designer, Jason Arasheben, spent months crafting the ring and finished it only 30 minutes prior to the proposal.

"It was a total surprise for her," says Arasheben, who has designed custom-made jewelry for the likes of Ashton Kutcher and Michael Jackson.

The couple have been dating about nine months. "He is a great guy for her," Brandy's mother, Sonja Norwood, recently told PEOPLE. "I can see the happiness in her."

My question to the ladies is... how big is too big? Isn't 1 or 2 carats enough????!!!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If you have to wear a sling to keep your hand from dangling below your knees, the ring is probably too big.

:D

My question is why are black celebrities competitive consumers of diamonds in the first place?

Simply put, they're farmed off the blood of blacks by African rebel armies and used to launder money by terrorists. Not that having a conscience should be relegated to black celebrities alone, but I think they have a slightly more personal stake in the matter, sharing ancestral backgrounds and all.

Lol, in fact, I almost didn't post that because I know we don't really talk politics here. It's just something that's been annoying me for the last couple years, but people don't like to be bothered by the minutiae. ;)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Whew!

My first thought when I saw the title of this thread was that it was something dirty. ;)

As for the question, yes Ms. Bear I do think its too much. Cheap (obviously not literally) gaudy, Zsa Zsa Gabor classless ickiness. I can only assume it comes from the "competitive engagement ring" school of thought, where the size of the rock is somehow susposed to equate to the size of the love, or at least give the woman a chance to flash the rock and say "my hubby is richer than yours".

Last edited:
AceKingSuited said:
My question is why are black celebrities competitive consumers of diamonds in the first place?

Simply put, they're farmed off the blood of blacks by African rebel armies and used to launder money by terrorists. Not that having a conscience should be relegated to black celebrities alone, but I think they have a slightly more personal stake in the matter, sharing ancestral backgrounds and all.
And how. Not to mention the African kids that do the "chipping" for diamonds often lose their eyesight by the time they are nine years old. If the DeBeers cartel didn't hoard diamonds, they would only be worth about ten bucks.

G_M said:
It's not the size of the ring it's how you use it!
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Shoot, now I'm even feeling guilty about my engagement ring!! Daamn, I'm sure this is a male conspiracy to get women to like...ummmm...zirconium?

No, that's just a bad joke, sorry! I don't know enough about the politics of South Africa (ok, I do know some) to have known all of the above...but I will look into it. I do know that some people won't wear gold jewelry for some of the reasons stated but I had never applied it to the wearing of diamonds, so now I have some research to do, and I'm a little more aware from having read KF's.

Thanks, guys!

KK!