How Athletic is Tyreke... Check it out.

As i was wondering another board a fellow poster got into a discussion with a few posters questioning Tyreke Evans athleticism...

Anyways, this guy coached tyreke back in the day so knows him well. Basically stated tyreke is a much better athlete then he shows... posted a picture as proof and here it goes. I believe he said Tyreke was a lazy athlete. A guy that plays under the rim because he can.

The guy is 7'1 and is on his toes here...

Last edited:
S

sactownfan

dang i actually feel for that guy whos getting the knee to the head... that sucks...

Hard to tell from that angle where his head is in relation to the rim. His hand is not extended up very much thoough... it's extended out to the right and up.

I'd say his head is about 3-4 inches from the rim here. hard to say from this angle could be closer. He's 6'5 with shoes on. If his head were to touch that's 43 inches. So he is closer to 39-40 off the ground here.

He is obviously thinner here so he doesnt have 30LB of muscle holding him down as he does now... This makes me question how hard he's really worked on his lower body strength... by looking at the kid we def know he's been bench pressing though lol.

I was going to post this same picture, if the appropriate moment came up. What you hear from a lot of folks that watched Tyreke in the past is that he's actually a very high jumper. I'm not sure if his strength conditioning has impacted his leaping ability or if he just doesn't feel like he needs it (with his 7ft wingspan). I remember the play where he accidentally kicked Beno in the head, indicating that he can get up very high when he wants to. The bottom line is he's putting up the numbers of a player with a 40+ inch vertical, so I'm not sure if it matters that much in the end. Oscar Robertson wasn't known as a high jumper either, but was a similarly big point guard.

Tyreke is a great athelete and can jump when he needs to, but he's so good skill wise that he has developed a game that doesn't rely on it, and the long arms have helped him with that. That's a big plus, for a few reasons. One, easier to maintain playing at a high level for a long time. Two, less likely to injure yourself. Three, it gives you a whole bunch more weapons.

Also, if you look at a lot of his drives, his long arms are a huge advantage for getting a shot off in traffic. I've also noticed he tends to jump LONG rather than HIGH, allowing him to get to places a defender can't reach and didn't expect him to. The guy is absolutely unbelievable driving in traffic with multiple defenders. Other players could have a 60 inch vert, and still not be able to do what Reke does in that regard.

With the ankle injury I'd rather Tyreke not try for the high flyer stuff. But when he's got totally open drives or time is running out and he needs to draw a foul I believe he should go for the dunk. On dunks it is very clear when contact is made

tyreke isnt isnt going to go amar'e or lebron on dunks. he is a great athlete and looks like he doesnt have enough vert because of his long arms. those arms are deceptive... 7foot wing span!

The problem is he has to dribble and have always the ball, and as long as he's incredibly effective just playing the way he does, he doesn't need to show his athleticism.

If he played more at SG and learned at least a little bit to play off the ball, maybe that spaniard PG could make him some crazy alley-oops every night :D

The problem is he has to dribble and have always the ball, and as long as he's incredibly effective just playing the way he does, he doesn't need to show his athleticism.

If he played more at SG and learned at least a little bit to play off the ball, maybe that spaniard PG could make him some crazy alley-oops every night :D
even hawes can throw alley-oops.. only they are more sane :D sergio just plays way too out of control sometimes i never got to see j-will during sactown days... was he like that or was he worse?

even hawes can throw alley-oops.. only they are more sane :D sergio just plays way too out of control sometimes i never got to see j-will during sactown days... was he like that or was he worse?
j-will was far far far better. His passes...even now he can throw fancier passes than most players. Fancy and accurate.

Well, that's a good question. I have just take a look at JWill stats with the Kings and Sergio's stats from this year and they are very,very similar considering per 48 minutes... The real point is one averaged 30 minutes and the other 13...Of course Sergio appears to suck if he gets the garbage minutes, he has to get hot and let the team flow.
But if you take a look only at his 20minutes games he is quite solid. I don't like how he has gone selfish this month, but I think he'll have great matches again this season.

Last edited:

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Well, that's a good question. I have just take a look at JWill stats with the Kings and Sergio's stats from this year and they are very,very similar considering per 48 minutes... The real point is one averaged 30 minutes and the other 13...Of course Sergio appears to suck if he gets the garbage minutes, he has to get hot and let the team flow.
But if you take a look only at his 20minutes games he is quite solid. I don't like how he has gone selfish this month, but I think he'll have great matches again this season.
I don't really think the talent levels of JWill and Sergio compare. JWill always had the talent to be a starting pg in the nba, and didn't fullfill all his talent. Sergio is a borderline rotational player at best. In the right situation, he might be you're 7th or 8th man, but even thats stretching it.
Even though JWill was inconsistent on offense, he was far more talented on that end of the court, and for a few years was one of the best 3pt shooters in the league in the last 2mins of a game.

Ok my next statements in no way are trying to say Tyreke isn't into what he does, or doesn't care about playing. He obviously cares.

But the coach that said he coached Tyreke, and called him lazy. You know that wouldn't surprise me. He looks sluggish a lot. Sholders hung super low like all energy is drained out of him etc.

As elusive as he is, sometimes when he tucks that ball under and on his hip and cuts through the defense, doesn't it look like he's out on a Sunday afternoon stroll? Now it's still amazing that he cuts through a defense looking like he's not going as hard as he could.

But, is there an argument to be made that he could go to an even higher level if intensity was there 100% of the time.

As far as him not jumping as high as he is able to all the time, it was recently noted that he has tendonitis in one of his knees. The one that he wears a sleeve on. When he took a bad step in one of the last 2 games, can't remember which one, and grabbed the knee with the sleeve on it I beleive he had done something to aggrivate the tendon that has tendonitis.

Coming from someone that gets soreness is my knees frequently, if your knees are sore it just irritates the hell out of them to jump as hard as you can. That could be another reason.

I don't really think the talent levels of JWill and Sergio compare. JWill always had the talent to be a starting pg in the nba, and didn't fullfill all his talent. Sergio is a borderline rotational player at best. In the right situation, he might be you're 7th or 8th man, but even thats stretching it.
Even though JWill was inconsistent on offense, he was far more talented on that end of the court, and for a few years was one of the best 3pt shooters in the league in the last 2mins of a game.

I would't talk about "talent" when Sergio hasn't had a real opportunity and he has less than 20 games playing more than 20 minutes in his 3 year career. JWill had a lot of them in his first year. Numbers are there and Sergio's numbers and JWill's numbers are very similar if you do the math with the PT.

Of course it's all about the different status they have, but because that translates into opportunities and PT. Sergio hasn't had the status JWill had as a rookie because he came into the league with 19 years old, and JWill came more mature with 23. But I'm pretty sure that if JWill, being a rookie with 23, ends up with a ultraconservative coach as Nate McMillan, he wouldn't have gotten the same opportunities he had in the Kings in his rookie year and he wouldn't have become what he is now. I think the big problem of Sergio it's he came very young to the league, but he's still 23 and if he ever gets to be constant, he'd be an amazing PG.

Anyway this is off-topic and I'm tired of defending Sergio...Is him who has to defend himself in the court, I hope he stops his bad games.

I don't think there's any way to judge a person's intensity by his outward demeanor. Some of the most intense and driven people I know seemed lazy or less interested by demeanor. Believe me you can be easily fooled and taken advantage of by judging a book by it's cover. It's like thinking that the dozing lion isn't dangerous.

Recently at one of the games, Grant said Tyreke has been bothered by the ankle issue since high school. Maybe he's rather not stress the ankle more than is necessary. I hope he develops his jump shot more than I hope for him to do more dunking. Everything inside the arc is two points. His FG% is just fine, so far.

As to drawing more fouls, Martin doesn't dunk all that much and seems to have no problem drawing fouls at all.

I don't think there's any way to judge a person's intensity by his outward demeanor. Some of the most intense and driven people I know seemed lazy or less interested by demeanor. Believe me you can be easily fooled and taken advantage of by judging a book by it's cover. It's like thinking that the dozing lion isn't dangerous.

Recently at one of the games, Grant said Tyreke has been bothered by the ankle issue since high school. Maybe he's rather not stress the ankle more than is necessary. I hope he develops his jump shot more than I hope for him to do more dunking. Everything inside the arc is two points. His FG% is just fine, so far.

As to drawing more fouls, Martin doesn't dunk all that much and seems to have no problem drawing fouls at all.
If you were referring to my point, then let me elaborate. Martin draws a lot of his fouls coming off screens and such and shooting or faking. He doesn't really get a lot of them going to the rim, as most of his points around the rim come off backdoor plays that aren't as common. Tyreke on the other hand lives driving to the rim. Don't you think when going against 3 defenders a foul is more likely to be called if you're high in the air than if you appear to squeeze off a layup?

tyreke isnt isnt going to go amar'e or lebron on dunks. he is a great athlete and looks like he doesnt have enough vert because of his long arms. those arms are deceptive... 7foot wing span!
i forgot what game but the commentators called reke a pterodactyl with his wingspan. its amazing watching him get into the lane and create shots.

K

Kingsguy881

If you were referring to my point, then let me elaborate. Martin draws a lot of his fouls coming off screens and such and shooting or faking. He doesn't really get a lot of them going to the rim, as most of his points around the rim come off backdoor plays that aren't as common. Tyreke on the other hand lives driving to the rim. Don't you think when going against 3 defenders a foul is more likely to be called if you're high in the air than if you appear to squeeze off a layup?
A foul and an injury both are more likely to occur.

Ok my next statements in no way are trying to say Tyreke isn't into what he does, or doesn't care about playing. He obviously cares.

But the coach that said he coached Tyreke, and called him lazy. You know that wouldn't surprise me. He looks sluggish a lot. Sholders hung super low like all energy is drained out of him etc.

As elusive as he is, sometimes when he tucks that ball under and on his hip and cuts through the defense, doesn't it look like he's out on a Sunday afternoon stroll? Now it's still amazing that he cuts through a defense looking like he's not going as hard as he could.

But, is there an argument to be made that he could go to an even higher level if intensity was there 100% of the time.

As far as him not jumping as high as he is able to all the time, it was recently noted that he has tendonitis in one of his knees. The one that he wears a sleeve on. When he took a bad step in one of the last 2 games, can't remember which one, and grabbed the knee with the sleeve on it I beleive he had done something to aggrivate the tendon that has tendonitis.

Coming from someone that gets soreness is my knees frequently, if your knees are sore it just irritates the hell out of them to jump as hard as you can. That could be another reason.
I don't think I can provide a link or quote him. Forum rules and all.... not sure. But his intensity is not what he meant. He just said that the game has been so easy for him his whole life that he developed and laid back style of play and has never needed to play otherwise.

If he had to... he could put you on a poster. If his ankle is bothering and he has tendi in one knee I could understand why he doesn't want to stress his knee and ankle though. Either way the picture proves he has/had major hops. That kid ****ing flying there.

Also explains why his combine numbers were so small... his vert was 34" two step. Obviously in that picture he was pushing the 40's. But even more surprising was the bench press of 185... he did it 7 times while flubby harding did it like 18 times for example....

I can tell you one thing that is a fact... Tyreke can lift 185 pounds more then 7 times lol. Think he was like f this... i'll just dominate all these fools in tryouts and that be the end of it. And if he has problems with the ankle and knee I def would not try and push it on the vertical test.... hurt it and your stock takes a major hit.

Last edited:
I don't think I can provide a link or quote him. Forum rules and all.... not sure. But his intensity is not what he meant. He just said that the game has been so easy for him his whole life that he developed and laid back style of play and has never needed to play otherwise.

If he had to... he could put you on a poster. If his ankle is bothering and he has tendi in one knee I could understand why he doesn't want to stress his knee and ankle though. Either way the picture proves he has/had major hops. That kid ****ing flying there.

Also explains why his combine numbers were so small... his vert was 34" two step. Obviously in that picture he was pushing the 40's. But even more surprising was the bench press of 185... he did it 7 times while flubby harding did it like 18 times for example....

I can tell you one thing that is a fact... Tyreke can lift 185 pounds more then 7 times lol. Think he was like f this... i'll just dominate all these fools in tryouts and that be the end of it. And if he has problems with the ankle and knee I def would not try and push it on the vertical test.... hurt it and your stock takes a major hit.
If that's the case it doesn't add up. In the national interviews he's done he has said he always wanted to be the best. When his family rallied around him, and it became all about Tyreke, and he wanted to be the best they hired a personal trainer. Both physical and basketball.

How does a guy that wants to be the best say F this in a bench press stat. I'm a competitive guy, and it's safe to assume Tyreke is. I don't think you can be in sports and not be competitive. How does someone that is competitive not want to put his best out for the combine? The two mind sets don't go together.

This makes zero sense.

Also, flubby Harden measured out almost exactly the same in every single category of size, speed, hops and strength to tyreke. The only noticable difference was Harden's bf% being 10% to Reke's 7%. BTW, flubby jumped higher and reached higher than Reke.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
I doubt it really matters when skill can trump athleticism... I mean we were questioning his athleticism and his dunking of all things when we drafted him and he dropped 20/5/5's on the leagues best point guards

Tyreke can lift 185 more then 7 times look at him... I'm 187 and can lift 185 5 times. My friend who lifts more is 190 and does it 11 times...

He looks substantially more cut then either one of us... he benches more then that. If his legs are hurt i would see why he would not push it.

Either way I posted a picture of him pushing 40 inches in a game...

Tyreke can lift 185 more then 7 times look at him... I'm 187 and can lift 185 5 times. My friend who lifts more is 190 and does it 11 times...

He looks substantially more cut then either one of us... he benches more then that. If his legs are hurt i would see why he would not push it.

Either way I posted a picture of him pushing 40 inches in a game...
I can do 225 more than 7 times, and I'm just getting back into the weightlifting game after a couple of years off.