Hornets bigs and pick

dude12

Hall of Famer
With the trade of Stephenson to the Clips and the Hornets acquiring Hawes, they have a potential surplus of bigs, plus the pick at 9 is within range of some of these guys we have been working out in regards to Payne, Dekker. Hornets looking for outside shooters.

Seems like a swap of picks plus we pick up an asset or a trade of Ben or Nik for one of their bigs if we are drafting a guy like Hezonga.

Hornets bigs
Al Jefferson
Hawes
Biyombo- team needs to extend QO of 5.2 mill to make a RFA
Cody Zeller
Vonleh
Marvin Williams

The 2 guys I'm looking at are Zeller or Vonleh in a deal for Nik if we draft Hezonga.....or maybe the pick at 9 for Ben or Nik......just spitballing ideas but they seem like a potential trade partner as long as we keep working out these 8-13th pick types

Here's the thing though, three of those guys are not possible to trade for:

Jefferson because he's just too valuable a player and would require a LOT more on the Kings side to get
Biyombo because he's headed for free agency and can't be involved in any draft day trades
Hawes because my head might explode if I had to root for him again.

I like Zeller and wouldn't mind that trade down especially if we could somehow dump Landry in the process.

I think if the Kings liked Vonleh they would have drafted him. And since neither he nor Nik had even decent rookie years I doubt that stance has changed much.

Marvin Williams doesn't offer the Kings enough to bother trading for IMO.

But I think the biggest issue with your idea is that I think it's very possible Hezonja won't be there at 9. I think the Magic and Nuggets may consider him but I think it's most likely Detroit grabs him at 8 since they absolutely need shooting.

Vonleh the still 19 year old that was going to be a project when drafted? The kid who played a total of 257 minutes last season? I believe Vonleh will turn into a real nice 6'10" stretch 4 which is coveted in todays NBA
Usually they show some kind of spark.. Vonleh has not even showed that he belongs in the NBA. He'll be out of the league in a couple years. I am glad the Kings didn't draft him. Seemed like a lot of people here wanted him for some reason heh.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Here's the thing though, three of those guys are not possible to trade for:

Jefferson because he's just too valuable a player and would require a LOT more on the Kings side to get
Biyombo because he's headed for free agency and can't be involved in any draft day trades
Hawes because my head might explode if I had to root for him again.

I like Zeller and wouldn't mind that trade down especially if we could somehow dump Landry in the process.

I think if the Kings liked Vonleh they would have drafted him. And since neither he nor Nik had even decent rookie years I doubt that stance has changed much.

Marvin Williams doesn't offer the Kings enough to bother trading for IMO.

But I think the biggest issue with your idea is that I think it's very possible Hezonja won't be there at 9. I think the Magic and Nuggets may consider him but I think it's most likely Detroit grabs him at 8 since they absolutely need shooting.
I think a possible scenario is if Sac takes Hezonga at 6, they can't go into the year with him and Ben and Nik making one of our current SGs available for trade. Nik for pick at 9....Ben for pick at 9......Zeller or Vonleh come into play potentially. Does MKG come into play?

If Sac does trade down to 9 ...does 6 and Nik for 9 and MKG work? Draft Payne at 9, sign a vet SG to help stabilize the SG position.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Usually they show some kind of spark.. Vonleh has not even showed that he belongs in the NBA. He'll be out of the league in a couple years. I am glad the Kings didn't draft him. Seemed like a lot of people here wanted him for some reason heh.
Vonleh is one of those interesting players that falls into the high risk/high reward group. He played in a system that I hated along side of a ball hog point guard. He displayed a good outside shot, which he seldom had the opportunity to take. He played away from the basket a majority of the time, making it difficult to judge his post game, however, he rebounded the ball fairly well. He was young, and raw. So your betting on his upside, hoping there is one. And to be fair, he may still develop. That said, no way in hell would I trade down to acquire him. Any trades the Kings make should bring more immediate help. I'm still hoping that WCS is sitting there when the Kings pick. He would immediately help our defense big time, and that will add up to more wins. Period!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think a possible scenario is if Sac takes Hezonga at 6, they can't go into the year with him and Ben and Nik making one of our current SGs available for trade. Nik for pick at 9....Ben for pick at 9......Zeller or Vonleh come into play potentially. Does MKG come into play?

If Sac does trade down to 9 ...does 6 and Nik for 9 and MKG work? Draft Payne at 9, sign a vet SG to help stabilize the SG position.
Don't forget that Hezonja is 6'8", and quite capable of playing SF. The times the Kings might want to move Rudy over to the PF position, they could then move Hezonja over to the SF position.

Vonleh is too similar to Zeller and much rawer defensively. While offensively he can't consistently make good decisions, easy indicators for which is A/TO ratio and PPR. If Vonleh knows, what he has to do this very moment, he has some skills and athleticism to execute, but he's very far from putting it all together.

P.S. I was among pro-Vonleh group, and I see, where I was wrong, looking strictly at elements (this looks like an NBA play, that does too...) and not paying attention to the whole picture.

Okay, so normally this is the time of year when I don't say a lot, because I'm not someone who follows college ball and can intelligently discuss draft prospects. I'm also not someone who can throw out plus-minus or PER stats to discuss different trade scenarios involving trading for players already in the league.

But please, Kings front office, PLEASE do not entertain any notion that involves bringing Spencer Hawes back to this team. He is easily my least favorite King of all time.