Honest Question: (As a team)What do the Kings do well?

We're good at coming out slow in the 1st quarter. We're also good at letting teams back into games. We're excellent at letting opposing teams make lots of 3 pointers on us.

The Kings turnover ratio is 19th/20th in the NBA. Nothing special.
That wasn't the point I was making.

Please note the distinction:

I did NOT claim that the Kings avoid turning the ball over, compared to the rest of the league.
I DID claim that on most nights this season the Kings OUT-DID their opponents as far as turnovers were concerned!
(Which may be attributed to defense)

This is still true, BTW, after game 56! :cool:
We had more TOs than our opponent in only 23 games, which means we had less TOs than, or as many TOs as, our opponents in 33 games.

Let me explain below how I had this checked:

My way of checking this measure was using one of those new game log/game streak searching tools, that wasn't really intended to be used like that... :)

I just ran the team streak finder, filtered for team=Kings and season=2016-17, and I looked for streaks where Team TOs > Opponent TOs
SEE IT ALL IN HERE

Now all I had to do was simply add all those "streaks", to sum up the number of games meeting this criterion (more TOs than the opponent).
You'll find they add up to 23 games this season (from 56 games overall)

That's exactly how I figured that we went to the FT line MORE than our opponents in 31 games:

The query

Whereas we took LESS FTs than opponents in only 22 games:

The query

(Which means 3 were tied in TOs)

Last edited:
Took a quick look at the stats. The only thing we seem to be top 10 in is causing opponents turnovers where we're 10th. Nearly everything else the Kings are around average or below average with rebounding being one of the worst. Which apparently doesn't matter all that much since last year we were up near the top of the league for part of the year and we couldn't even scratch .500.

Took a quick look at the stats. The only thing we seem to be top 10 in is causing opponents turnovers where we're 10th. Nearly everything else the Kings are around average or below average with rebounding being one of the worst. Which apparently doesn't matter all that much since last year we were up near the top of the league for part of the year and we couldn't even scratch .500.
Check out opponent FGM.

We're 5th :D (On par with the best defenses)

And it's NOT due to our slow pace, either!
It is stable even when you use per 100 possessions!

There must be something our D does right... :)

Edit:

Note that it's not a matter of forcing very low FG%, though...

It appears that we somehow make opponents take less shots on their possessions! We're 3rd lowest in opponents' FGA (per 100 pos). Perhaps we manage to run the clock down on our opponents, or draw offensive fouls (probably both).
That would also acount for the extra opponents' TOs (24sec violations and offensives).
Worth looking into...

Last edited:
I have not watched all the games this year, but in the last couple that I've seen I thought that apart from Cousins the team moved well without the ball. This is not a knock on Cuz since I don't think the offense really calls for him to do move around a ton, but the other guys seemed to largely work hard without the ball in their hands. It translates well into good offense when guys are hitting their shots, but this team is really hot and cold so sometimes I don't think it really matters.