Hmmm, coincidence? Idea for G1C exterior?

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I’m on a family vacation and we just got into Paris today. We saw the following building on the Uber ride to where we are staying. Coincidence?

Not knowing the age of the building means it could have come after, I guess?

1656451872599.png

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I always felt like the outer skin of the Golden 1 Center could be traced back to Thom Mayne's Cal Trans building in Los Angeles which was finished in 2004 and was one of the early projects that attracted attention to the new LEED certification here in California. The same ideas were adapted a few years later to make the Federal Building in San Francisco. I've seen a lot of similar design work in other contemporary LEED projects though. Since the technology drives the design in sustainable architecture, I think there's a lot of cross-pollination going on.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Ha! I know it wasn’t because we had swapped text messages about the photo first. Otherwise I might believe you. The Captain is an amazing person.
Well, I thank you for saying that...but I will admit to knowing nearly nothing about architecture so I did have to look it up. (To be fair, the photo you sent by text was crucial, because I could zoom it to identify the name of the next-door cafe to jump start the Google search!)

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I always felt like the outer skin of the Golden 1 Center could be traced back to Thom Mayne's Cal Trans building in Los Angeles which was finished in 2004 and was one of the early projects that attracted attention to the new LEED certification here in California. The same ideas were adapted a few years later to make the Federal Building in San Francisco. I've seen a lot of similar design work in other contemporary LEED projects though. Since the technology drives the design in sustainable architecture, I think there's a lot of cross-pollination going on.
My LEED certified building in Portland has similar elements. I’ve seen in some other buildings and they all seem to have different designers. I imagine I’ll be long gone before it’s determined how much staying power these designs have/had.