Highest education + Career?

Journalism? are there jobs to be had with a Journaling degree though?
Yes. Quite a few if you consider internet work.

I'm a man who prefers to make his own way though and not depend on others. If my skill set was just a bit different I'd be trying to make noise online, which I do some now but it is not profit based. But I'd use the computer science to get some posh teaching job or something like that while it helped me do some things online, really you can do it with just code skills, but I'd like to know more.

The job market for teaching is diminishing every year it seems and the amount of schooling required doesn't outweigh the positives.
That's a very biased opinion, but is what certain groups are spoon feeding society. Teachers have tenure... means, after a year or two their job becomes their "property"... nearly impossible to be fired. They get paid between 50-80K (remember, they do not work summers and they make the same wages as most other full-time year-round working adults)... excellent benefits... you can get a teaching job (eventually) in just about any city... As far as schooling goes, if you go to work in a high poverty area, you can get a large part of your student loans forgiven... and the more units you have the more pay you get (that's not true in most other fields) even though you are doing the same job as the teacher next to you who has less education (and is paid less)

the big hiccup is if you have a passion for kids and are willing to keep learning throughout your life...

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
The job market for teaching is diminishing every year it seems
Really? While the past few years had significant layoffs due to budget crunches, the tide is turning....

After years of pink slips and layoffs, California school districts have emerged from the recession with plans to hire 21,500 teachers for the 2015-16 academic year at a pace not seen in a decade, according to new state data.
Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/education/article19765770.html#storylink=cpy

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
What's the amount of education required though in order to land a job?
My wife is a teacher - she has a BA degree, no Masters or PhD. She has taken more classes and continuing education, etc., to move into higher pay brackets but all that was required was a BA as far as I know, as well as passing some minimum testing requirements.

You would have to ask a teacher for specifics.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
My wife is a teacher - she has a BA degree, no Masters or PhD. She has taken more classes and continuing education, etc., to move into higher pay brackets but all that was required was a BA as far as I know, as well as passing some minimum testing requirements.

How long ago did she attain her BA? What grade level is she currently teaching? If you don't mind my asking of course.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Also...for the longest time I've been curious about the field of Dietetics, anyone out there know any Dietitians and how the job market is for that line of work?

How long ago did she attain her BA? What grade level is she currently teaching? If you don't mind my asking of course.
I think if you are full time, it takes 5 years of college to get your degree + CA credential. You also have to student teach for a year (not sure if the student teaching is wrapped up in that fifth year or not).

Really? While the past few years had significant layoffs due to budget crunches, the tide is turning....

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/education/article19765770.html#storylink=cpy
My best buddy and his wife are teachers, I used to substitute. I may eventually wrap up a real credential though and give it a go. They are doing pretty well for themselves, and as long as your not overly picky on job placement they said I'd be able to get in without much trouble.

All you have to do is pass the CBEST to start subbing. From there you get a little experience and can network and decide if you can find an appropriate credential program. May be a place where you teach for a bit paid in an undesirable location. You can get more education then student teach for free etc. Few different ways to do it.

You can have a degree in anything as long as you can pass the CBEST you can sub. I'd imagine most people who were conscious in college with some effort can pass the multiple subject programs out there to be an elementary teacher.

Oh, one note... if you are looking at getting into education; most of the jobs in CA are on edjoin.org ... there are teacher and non-teacher jobs in there, so it's a great resource for everyone.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I looked around at some community college degrees and none of them even have teaching as a two year associate degree that you can transfer to a university with.

I looked around at some community college degrees and none of them even have teaching as a two year associate degree that you can transfer to a university with.
??? It's a four year + credential... Community College will work for some liberal arts and gen ed, but nothing specialized there.

I know that. I am talking about a starting point here.
I would think, if you are looking at getting into education, would be to:
1. Talk to a career counselor at the university you intend to attend
2. Get that emergency teaching credential so you can pick up the occasional substitute teaching job (finding out you hate teaching BEFORE you go to college for it? Priceless)

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Most community colleges have programs that coordinate with both specific 4 year campuses where there is guaranteed acceptance if you complete a specific program with a specific GPA AND they also coordinate with either or both the CSU and UC systems for transfer of GE units. I have taught at JC's and at a CSU and found that IF you get with a good counselor the transfer process can be pretty smooth. Since you know you want to teachthis might sound odd but try working backward. Contact the teaching programs you would like to get your credential from and and ask THEM what programs/degrees are the most helpful and what schools they typically accept from. I never planed on teaching so once I graduated with BA's in Philosophy and Communication I still was working out where I wanted to go. Then when I got a single subject credential for English there were some additional tests/courses I had to get through. of course Grad School was a whole different set of issues.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I would think, if you are looking at getting into education, would be to:
1. Talk to a career counselor at the university you intend to attend
2. Get that emergency teaching credential so you can pick up the occasional substitute teaching job (finding out you hate teaching BEFORE you go to college for it? Priceless)
Just to clarify the emergency/sub credential qualifications vary a bit over time and local but generally require a BA. I would recommend that anyone interested in teaching take the CBEST and get one after graduation and sub a while before entering a teaching program.

I saw this idea on a NFL forum so I figured I'd try it here and see if it gains any popularity. What is your highest level of education and what is your current career?

I'll start off...highest education is AA in Computer Science, currently working as a Network Administrator.
Highest level of education is a Master's in Business Administration. I have a career in professional sports working with the Sacramento Kings.

I know that. I am talking about a starting point here.
Junior college is an excellent starting point for those not sure on what they want to do. It is cheap, you can transfer the credits etc. Sometimes people snob it some, but if you are paying your own bills and want to avoid debt it may be a good choice until you figure out what you want to do.

Maybe a subject will surprise you on your way to full filling basic general education requirements.

You can still transfer to a good school later if you do well enough. Like Berkley or Stanford etc. To give you an idea my college girlfriend years ago transferred to a UC with a full ride scholarship because she did so well at junior college. She went on to one of the better medical schools in the nation and is now a doctor.

A lot of the times when we would talk with others they'd get snobby on where they went to school and she would just laugh and say frequently the best education she got was at junior college. Was amusing hearing the future doctor at the time in medical school saying that to people sometimes.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Junior college is an excellent starting point for those not sure on what they want to do. It is cheap, you can transfer the credits etc. Sometimes people snob it some, but if you are paying your own bills and want to avoid debt it may be a good choice until you figure out what you want to do.

Maybe a subject will surprise you on your way to full filling basic general education requirements.

You can still transfer to a good school later if you do well enough. Like Berkley or Stanford etc. To give you an idea my college girlfriend years ago transferred to a UC with a full ride scholarship because she did so well at junior college. She went on to one of the better medical schools in the nation and is now a doctor.

A lot of the times when we would talk with others they'd get snobby on where they went to school and she would just laugh and say frequently the best education she got was at junior college. Was amusing hearing the future doctor at the time in medical school saying that to people sometimes.
This is all too true regarding junior college education. I went to a technical school myself and let's just say those schools are not cheap because they specify in certain areas. The debt is large and to go for a Bachelor's would be double the price. The thing with Junior College though is it doesn't have specific areas unless they are IT, Nursing, etc...that's why I wanted to see the approach students take in order to begin their Teaching education unless it can be done via Junior College as the starting point.

Thank you for your input though, it's been helpful.

This is all too true regarding junior college education. I went to a technical school myself and let's just say those schools are not cheap because they specify in certain areas. The debt is large and to go for a Bachelor's would be double the price. The thing with Junior College though is it doesn't have specific areas unless they are IT, Nursing, etc...that's why I wanted to see the approach students take in order to begin their Teaching education unless it can be done via Junior College as the starting point.

Thank you for your input though, it's been helpful.
I think many of junior college students simply go to take classes they would have taken at any other university cheaper or because they could not get into a university and transfer those credits towards a bachelors degree. So if someone wanted to be an English teacher for example. Instead of going to say Sac State first, they spend two years at junior college and transfer those credits and go to Sac State and finish up with a bachelors. So they finish in the same amount of time but spend a fraction of the cost.

I'd say most people go to junior college to transfer credits, not really trying to specialize. I've never really heard someone critique junior college limitations when for most it is a stepping stone.

You follow me right?

First two years of college on the way to a bachelors degree be it at junior college, Sac State or Davis would be the same pretty much. And two years later the guy who went to junior college would be just as close to finishing their bachelors degree as they would of at the other schools. So they don't go to junior college expecting that place to be their final destination.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I think many of junior college students simply go to take classes they would have taken at any other university cheaper or because they could not get into a university and transfer those credits towards a bachelors degree. So if someone wanted to be an English teacher for example. Instead of going to say Sac State first, they spend two years at junior college and transfer those credits and go to Sac State and finish up with a bachelors. So they finish in the same amount of time but spend a fraction of the cost.

I'd say most people go to junior college to transfer credits, not really trying to specialize. I've never really heard someone critique junior college limitations when for most it is a stepping stone.
Yes I understand your point. Well said. It's a stepping stone in order to go for that BA or MA, etc...Instead of simply going two years at a trade/technical school and having double the debt.

Yes I understand your point. Well said. It's a stepping stone in order to go for that BA or MA, etc...Instead of simply going two years at a trade/technical school and having double the debt.
My highest education level is a doctoral in Medicine. I have to say the biggest thing you have to look at is educational debt. The key thing you want to think about is will your salary upon graduation from my degree be able to offset the student loans that you will incurred. I know plenty of people who has gotten BS, BA and Master's level in education while accumulating a lot of student loans and now are unable to paid off it even with stable employment. The second thing you need to consider is that will this be a career you can do for a long time? If you incurred too much educational debt, you may be force to stay in one career. For example, I have a fair amount of student loans and while I have a stable job as a physician to pay off my loans, I will probably never explore into another career field until I can pay off my loans as I cannot afford to take that risk while having to pay my student loans monthly.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
My highest education level is a doctoral in Medicine. I have to say the biggest thing you have to look at is educational debt. The key thing you want to think about is will your salary upon graduation from my degree be able to offset the student loans that you will incurred. I know plenty of people who has gotten BS, BA and Master's level in education while accumulating a lot of student loans and now are unable to paid off it even with stable employment. The second thing you need to consider is that will this be a career you can do for a long time? If you incurred too much educational debt, you may be force to stay in one career. For example, I have a fair amount of student loans and while I have a stable job as a physician to pay off my loans, I will probably never explore into another career field until I can pay off my loans as I cannot afford to take that risk while having to pay my student loans monthly.
That's America's number one issue with schooling....the amount of school debt that builds up unless your job or navy/army pays for your schooling. Medicine, Technology & Engineering there will always be work but with Technology & Engineering, it's always changing, and rapidly so consider that you have to constantly pay to further educate yourself because you never stop learning. Do you regret becoming a Physician?

You follow me right?

First two years of college on the way to a bachelors degree be it at junior college, Sac State or Davis would be the same pretty much. And two years later the guy who went to junior college would be just as close to finishing their bachelors degree as they would of at the other schools. So they don't go to junior college expecting that place to be their final destination.
And your degree will say the same thing: where you graduated from. Plus, going to different institutions will give you a greater perspective and wider experience in teaching styles. There are some great profs tucked away at community colleges, because there the focus is more on the teaching, rather than on research, this is especially true in the sciences.

CC is totally the way to go, imo. Plus, you can transfer to a much better school after two years in CC than you could out of h.s. After American River College, you can pretty much get into any UC, save maybe Berkely. But if you nailed the classes at ARC, Berkeley could be a possibility.