Hey Vivek, I miss playoff basketball!

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I don't think the thread title was supposed to be a question?

Or maybe I'm supposed to read it with a rising intonation?

Just pretend;)

Long list of Ex-Kings various rosters 2014-15 NBA playoffs:

Tyreke Evans, Jimmer Fredette, Isaiah Thomas, Spencer Hawes, Dahntay Jones, Hedo Turkuglu, Beno Udrih, Aaron Brooks, Ramon Sessions, Gerald Wallace, Greivis Vasquez, Patrick Patterson, Chuck Hayes, James Johnson, Jason Terry, Drew Gooden...

Just pretend;)

Long list of Ex-Kings various rosters 2014-15 NBA playoffs:

Tyreke Evans, Jimmer Fredette, Isaiah Thomas, Spencer Hawes, Dahntay Jones, Hedo Turkuglu, Beno Udrih, Aaron Brooks, Ramon Sessions, Gerald Wallace, Greivis Vasquez, Patrick Patterson, Chuck Hayes, James Johnson, Jason Terry, Drew Gooden...
Could have beens:

Leonard, Lillard or Drummond, Payton and then of course Mike Malone. SIGH...................................................................................................................................................................

I don't....they are your average treadmill eastern conference team.
Actually I like their future more than ours.

Parker is gonna be a star in this league, Middleton is awesome, Giannis is still raw but he has ridiculous potential, MCW is a bit "fool's gold" but just by virtue of playing for Kidd I'm optimistic about him (and PG with his size don't grow on trees), I really like John Henson's game, The lesser Plumlee is alright and I'm still optimistic about Ennis who I could think could have a nice career.

All of those 7 guys- are still on rookie contracts, that's a pretty nice core- and they can retain it for years simply by matching in restricted FA.
They won 41 games with a young team and with Parker being hurt, I can't remeber the last time we won 30.
I do envy the Bucks- and I have decent reasons to.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Lawrd have we ever **** the bed on the past few drafts.

Jimmer over Leonard was horrible...flash forward to last season.. Nik might turn out ok, but Payton is going to be a Kidd/Rondoesque stud down the road... I think we really regret that draft down the line.

Both those missed picks were due to ownership meddling. You'd think Vivek would have learned from the failures of his predecessors.... but alas...

I just hope Vlade is able to keep Vivek far far away from the "war room" this year.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Actually I like their future more than ours.

Parker is gonna be a star in this league, Middleton is awesome, Giannis is still raw but he has ridiculous potential, MCW is a bit "fool's gold" but just by virtue of playing for Kidd I'm optimistic about him (and PG with his size don't grow on trees), I really like John Henson's game, The lesser Plumlee is alright and I'm still optimistic about Ennis who I could think could have a nice career.

All of those 7 guys- are still on rookie contracts, that's a pretty nice core- and they can retain it for years simply by matching in restricted FA.
They won 41 games with a young team and with Parker being hurt, I can't remeber the last time we won 30.
I do envy the Bucks- and I have decent reasons to.
The Bucks are practically the Kings of the east...a whole lot of irrelevancy and lots of talks were rumored they were moving elsewhere until Kidd came in and they won the 2nd pick in the draft. They've made great strides no doubt but let's not forget they get to play the Eastern Conference a little bit more than the Kings. Let's face it...the Kings won't even sniff 35+ wins until the FO and ownership get their act together and stop trying to destroy and rebuild every season.

J

jdbraver

Yeah he should have sat stoically or better yet cried.

I don't want to see any enthusiasm or happiness from our owners. I want suffocating negativity at all times.
I don't care how he acts if we get the right player. That being said I would Prob save that reaction for our lottery win this year. We all know that ain't happening.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
The way our team is currently constructed would beat the Bucks in a playoff series. I don't think envy is the right word. At least, not the word (or team) I would have used.

I would have gone with the Pelicans to make the point, but that probably hits too close to home.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Yup, so we won't have to witness such reaction like when McLemore "fell" to Kings in the draft and Vivek reacted - err, over-reacted.
View attachment 5284
I don't mind the enthusiasm, I just don't like that he overruled all the basketball minds in the room last year and had us go Nik over Payton.

I love the enthusiasm, and I think Vivek is just as bummed as all of us about The Kings not making the playoffs...

The sooner he figures out he knows nothing about basketball, and starts listening to people who do, the sooner he can become something resembling, at the very least, a decent owner.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't mind the enthusiasm, I just don't like that he overruled all the basketball minds in the room last year and had us go Nik over Payton.

I love the enthusiasm, and I think Vivek is just as bummed as all of us about The Kings not making the playoffs...

The sooner he figures out he's an ass that knows nothing about basketball, the sooner he can become something resembling, at the very least, a decent owner.
I wouldn't have gone so far as to call Vivek an ass, but I totally agree with the rest of the sentiment. I truly don't understand all the hatred being spewed in his direction. Yes, he made some pretty bad rookie owner decisions but it appears to me he's trying to correct them.

As King Baller said, if it weren't for Vivek and the rest of the ownership group, this entire argument would be moot. That still buys him a bit of goodwill in my book. And let's be honest here ... bottom line having George Karl and Vlade Divac is a big improvement over Michael Malone and Chris Mullin.

J

jdbraver

I wouldn't have gone so far as to call Vivek an ass, but I totally agree with the rest of the sentiment. I truly don't understand all the hatred being spewed in his direction. Yes, he made some pretty bad rookie owner decisions but it appears to me he's trying to correct them.

As King Baller said, if it weren't for Vivek and the rest of the ownership group, this entire argument would be moot. That still buys him a bit of goodwill in my book. And let's be honest here ... bottom line having George Karl and Vlade Divac is a big improvement over Michael Malone and Chris Mullin.
Look im glad the kings stayed, but my problem w Vivek is pure on court frustration. He needs to be the boss and provide a plan and stability. It was obvious he had neither this season. That is not excusable be cuz he is new. I have no idea how Divac will be in his position so I'll wait to judge. The free agents see the turmoil and its a shame it wasn't cleaned up in January.

The sooner he figures out he's an ass that knows nothing about basketball, the sooner he can become something resembling, at the very least, a decent owner.
There is a problem with that. IMO, there is no amount of admission on Vivek (that he knows nothing about basketball) that will satisfy some of us "all-knowing wise-ass" fans. For some fans like me who thinks just because it is so easy to fly an airplane basing it on what I see pilots do, I have this feeling that I can do better than some pilots right there and then. It is understandable to a certain extent, but at the same time unreasonably crazy if you put a long hard thought.

If you can remember, Vivek already admitted he had never played competitive basketball in his life and that he surrounds himself with people more knowledgeable than him whom he listens to for advice before making decisions. That for me is already tantamount to admission of what we want him to admit. And yet, most of us wants a more humiliating admission?

What for and why?

Last edited:
Vivek isn't missing the playoffs at all.

He's got the Warriors. And I'm sure he'll be at every game.
Why?:eek:

Because he was a former Warrior investor and so should always be considered an "outsider"?

I am pretty sure he loves the Kings more than any team. He invested lots of his energy and hard-earned money to be part of this team. If anyone stands to lose more if this team fails - it is him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't....they are your average treadmill eastern conference team.
What? How so? They have more overall talent on their team than we do. Not only that, but they were one of the worst teams in the league last year and now look where they are. In the playoffs. What would you give up to have the Kings in the playoffs as just the 8th seed right now? Would you trade our future to make that happen?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
What? How so? They have more overall talent on their team than we do. Not only that, but they were one of the worst teams in the league last year and now look where they are. In the playoffs. What would you give up to have the Kings in the playoffs as just the 8th seed right now? Would you trade our future to make that happen?
They were the worst team last year but the years prior to that they were a one and done playoff team....let's look at the years they made the playoffs and I won't go back too far let's just start off with 2005-2006 season, one and done versus the Pistons. They then proceed to miss the playoffs until the 2009-2010 season again where they have Brandon Jennings at the helm and once again, one and done versus the Hawks. They make the playoffs again 2012-2013 versus the Heat. So you kind of see a trend here...the last time they've gotten past the first round was way back in 2000-2001 season where they lost to the Hornets.

You can have all the talent in the world but when you don't have that franchise player to build around, you end up a team like Milwaukee...in no man's land always being a first out in the playoffs. Do you really want that with the Kings when they have a potential HOF center on their roster that is ready to win right now? with a HOF coach and a SF that just finished his 9th season and isn't getting any younger. The goal here should not be the 8th seed...if that's all we are good for then I don't want to be in at all, but hey....that's just me. I'm not just content with mediocrity.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Why?:eek:

Because he was a former Warrior investor and so should always be considered an "outsider"?

I am pretty sure he loves the Kings more than any team. He invested lots of his energy and hard-earned money to be part of this team. If anyone stands to lose more if this team fails - it is him.
Show me another owner throwing up the "hang loose" sign at playoff games of other teams while his team remains well outside of the playoff picture. Show me another non-playoff owner publicly celebrating and basking in the joy of a different team's playoff success. FFS he looks happier than he does courtside at our games. Maybe he should be concentrating on why that is.

I find the above picture to be disgusting. I find it to be tone deaf. I find it to be a slap in the face to Kings fans after this season. After blocking numerous Kings fans on twitter this year because he couldn't stomach complaints, it's quite distasteful to have a photo op with GS fans and act like it's all good.

I'd guess most Kings fans are p*ssed and depressed about being out of the playoffs once again and our owner is basically partying with his GS crew? He's completely out of touch with what this fan base has been through.

How'd your wife take it if you went out and had a blast with your ex-girlfriend after having two terrible years in your marriage? She'd probably ask, where's your priorities?

Last edited:

gunks

Hall of Famer

Self modded it out! I get a tad vitriolic at times.... I'll tone it down for the sake of the board. Kingsfans keeps it classy (for the most part), and I don't want to develop bad habits as a long time poster here!

I'm not going to give Vivek a pass just because he paid out for the team. If he didn't, someone else would have. KJ saved the team.

Buuuuut.... I do agree that Vivek seems to be headed in the right direction. I'll be optimistic for the future, while not forgiving the past. We're still reeling from Vivek's "rookie mistakes".

Show me another owner throwing up the "hang loose" sign at playoff games of other teams while his team remains well outside of the playoff picture. Show me another non-playoff owner publicly celebrating and basking in the joy of a different team's playoff success. FFS he looks happier than he does courtside at our games. Maybe he should concentrating on why that is.

I find the above picture to be disgusting. I find it to be tone deaf. I find it to be a slap in the face to Kings fans after this season. After blocking numerous Kings fans on twitter this year because he couldn't stomach complaints, it's quite distasteful to have a photo op with GS fans and act like it's all good.

I'd guess most Kings fans are p*ssed and depressed about being out of the playoffs once again and our owner is basically partying with his GS crew? He's completely out of touch with what this fan base has been through.

How'd your wife take it if you went out and had a blast with your ex-girlfriend after having two terrible years in your marriage? She'd probably ask, where's your priorities?
i've gotta agree with this post. the kings just missed the playoffs for the ninth straight year. hell, the kings haven't crested .400 since 2008, while the warriors are enjoying unparalleled success within the history of their franchise. after a season in which kings fans had to endure such massive disappointment and dysfunction, i find it in rather poor taste to see the owner of my team yukking it up with warriors fans during one of their playoff games. i don't care one iota that he was an ex-[minority!!] owner of the warriors; kings fans deserve his respect...

the minute that vivek ranadive purchased a majority stake in the sacramento kings, the warriors became competition. more to the point, they should have become his arch-rivals, if only in an anecdotal sense. for all of steve ballmer's crazed owner antics, you just know that guy considers every other team in the nba to be his mortal enemy...

really, though, you know what the funniest part of it all is? kings fans are such an easy sell. but it's like the new regime decided to go out of its way to alienate the fans this season. the majority of us would have been ecstatic with .500 ball this season; we would have been singing the praises of everyone involved. instead, we were treated with latter-day maloofian-level incompetence, and still many kings fans manage to maintain their optimism, and still manage to put their faith in a group of individuals who have done little to earn it...