Health & Nutrition

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I thought I'd make a thread where people can discuss what type of nutrition they consume. Recipes for healthy meals, foods that people maybe don't eat enough, etc.

I'll start it off by asking if anyone knows some good recipes that doesn't include any meat? I am trying to cut down on eating meat, I mean...I don't eat that much red meat to begin with. I mostly consume chicken/fish but even that I hear can be unhealthy? Anyone have some thoughts on that? Also, I try to cut out as much dairy as possible in my diet.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Oh, I'm not the guy to talk to then. I love all things meat. I do, however, know of a nice blog that provides some good recipes. It paleo oriented (which you probably won't enjoy) but there are some great veggie recipes and ideas for eating healthier. I've done much better since cutting out grains from my diet, and I also have cut out a lot of dairy, except for cheese and yogurt.

http://everydaypaleo.com/category/food/

Sorry, I forgot to add:

Good thread idea!

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I'm fat and unhealthy (not inactive though) but making changes but I seriously question cutting fish unless it is your primary diet. I can't stand fish and I think that is a large part of my problems, aside from some of the major issues I have already corrected or begun to work on.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Oh, I'm not the guy to talk to then. I love all things meat. I do, however, know of a nice blog that provides some good recipes. It paleo oriented (which you probably won't enjoy) but there are some great veggie recipes and ideas for eating healthier. I've done much better since cutting out grains from my diet, and I also have cut out a lot of dairy, except for cheese and yogurt.

http://everydaypaleo.com/category/food/

I've done some research on the Paleo Diet. I'm not trying to follow any specific diet, I just want to have a good balance of healthy greens, fruits, beans, plant protein type of foods. But this thread doesn't have to be just about no meat, it's a thread for anyone wanting to discuss what they are eating, recipes, etc.

As for Dairy, I'm going to try to get it out of my diet. Only thing Dairy I consume at the moment is yogurt and that's only in spurts.

Sorry, I forgot to add:

Good thread idea!
I've done some research on the Paleo Diet. I'm not trying to follow any specific diet, I just want to have a good balance of healthy greens, fruits, beans, plant protein type of foods. But this thread doesn't have to be just about no meat, it's a thread for anyone wanting to discuss what they are eating, recipes, etc.

As for Dairy, I'm going to try to get it out of my diet. Only thing Dairy I consume at the moment is yogurt and that's only in spurts.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'm fat and unhealthy (not inactive though) but making changes but I seriously question cutting fish unless it is your primary diet. I can't stand fish and I think that is a large part of my problems, aside from some of the major issues I have already corrected or begun to work on.
You don't have to have fish in your diet to be healthy. You just have to eat meat in moderation and add in a lot of plant based proteins and greens. If you aren't used to a diet like that it's going to be tough for an individual who is first giving it a try. But the benefits of it is substantial and will make you feel better as a whole.

What's crazy is this whole time I thought I was eating healthy, and boy was I wrong. I mean there is just too much information out there to be researched to realize whether your eating healthy.

Our bodies are not designed to eat meat. Doesn't get digested right and the cholesterol is horrible for our blood.

With that being said, I don't know if I can completely cut it out; especially being in the restaurant business ;)

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Our bodies are not designed to eat meat. Doesn't get digested right and the cholesterol is horrible for our blood.

With that being said, I don't know if I can completely cut it out; especially being in the restaurant business ;)
I know what you mean. I can live without red meat but it's really tough to cut out chicken breast out of my diet. I mean if I just eat beans, greens everyday I'm never going to feel fully satisfied. I also hear even fish products are becoming unhealthy for us just because of the pollution and chemicals in the waters. So I don't even know anymore.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Our teeth say otherwise!

I eat a lot of pasta and rice topped with chicken. Love me some beans too, I'll get a big bag and cook up a crock pot full. Freeze some of them and just take them out to make burritos as needed.
I absolutely love pasta, rice and beans. Do you eat chicken frequently? What does your diet consist of?

Krunker

Northernmost Kings Fan
I always thought that lentils never got the credit they deserved. Good amount of protein, tasty in any dish you'd use with beans... of course my favorite way to cook them is in a soup with bacon so that might throw away any health benefits :) I like em with curry, though.

My family thinks I am crazy, but I also like the Quorn "Mycoprotein".

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
^^ I agree about lentils. Hell, I didn't even bother with them until I began reading about them and how to incorporate them into a meal. What exactly is curry though? a powder or a bean? or something else..

I absolutely love pasta, rice and beans. Do you eat chicken frequently? What does your diet consist of?
I cook some chicken breasts a couple times a week to go with pasta and rice. Breakfast is normally oatmeal but eggs/bacon occasionally of course! A salad with fruit toppings on it is another thing I eat a few times a week. For drinks it's mainly water, orange juice and chocolate milk (after workouts). My burritos I make with beans are snacks between meals when I am hungry and just have a bit of cheese and hot sauce. The main part of my diet is really whole wheat pasta and rice as as the main meals.

I like to ride bikes/run a lot and definitely feel better when I stick to the foods I have above and keep it simple.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Chocolate milk after a workout? really? isn't it too much sugar for after a workout?

Do you know any good tasting, healthy oatmeal recipes?

Chocolate milk after a workout? really? isn't it too much sugar for after a workout?

Do you know any good tasting, healthy oatmeal recipes?
Doh. First response didn't post. Chocolate milk after a workout is good! The sugar isn't a concern, I googled "chocolate milk after exercise" and pulled up a quick article if you want to take a look. http://www.utexas.edu/news/2011/06/22/milk_studies/

Don't really know any good tasting oatmeal recipes... I just get steal cut oats and add some brown sugar and blueberries. Normally I make it pretty watery so I can suck it down fast ;)

Sugar is essential after a workout. Here's another simple way for people to burn fat and get in shape; yet it goes ignored by so many! Run first thing in the morning or after a work out. Your body is always producing sugars and you need those sugars for energy when lifting weights. Too many people want to run first; problem with that is you don't burn any fat- instead, you burn off the sugars that you would have needed for your workout an then when you work out your energy level is not there. So not only is your energy lacking, but you also didn't burn much fat or accomplish much of anything.

PS... People, please please please stay away from diet drinks. They are extremely addicting and extremely bad for you. One of my customers gave her 2 year old half a btl of Diet Snapple. I was so mad!

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Chocolate milk is best for after intense workouts. (Especially if there's a lot of compound lifting going on.)

Oh, and stay away from the Gatorade, too.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Doh. First response didn't post. Chocolate milk after a workout is good! The sugar isn't a concern, I googled "chocolate milk after exercise" and pulled up a quick article if you want to take a look. http://www.utexas.edu/news/2011/06/22/milk_studies/

Don't really know any good tasting oatmeal recipes... I just get steal cut oats and add some brown sugar and blueberries. Normally I make it pretty watery so I can suck it down fast ;)
I tried making steel cut oats about two weeks ago, I failed miserably. They burned to the bottom of my pan and tasted beyond awful. I don't think I churned it enough through out it's cooking or something. I put enough water and all that. How long does your steel cut oats take to cook? 30-40 min. mark, no?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Sugar is essential after a workout. Here's another simple way for people to burn fat and get in shape; yet it goes ignored by so many! Run first thing in the morning or after a work out. Your body is always producing sugars and you need those sugars for energy when lifting weights. Too many people want to run first; problem with that is you don't burn any fat- instead, you burn off the sugars that you would have needed for your workout an then when you work out your energy level is not there. So not only is your energy lacking, but you also didn't burn much fat or accomplish much of anything.

PS... People, please please please stay away from diet drinks. They are extremely addicting and extremely bad for you. One of my customers gave her 2 year old half a btl of Diet Snapple. I was so mad!

You seem like you might be able to help me out with a situation I'm having. I'm trying to gain more muscle mass and I don't think I meet my macronutrients or whatever you want to call it through out a day. I don't know how to evenly seperate out my meals and I don't want to just consume anything.

Regarding running, I prefer to bike so could I take that alternative instead?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Chocolate milk is best for after intense workouts. (Especially if there's a lot of compound lifting going on.)

Oh, and stay away from the Gatorade, too.
What's usually the best thing to consume after a workout? I usually go for a banana and sometimes a shake. I don't know where to really go from there.

Our teeth say otherwise!

I eat a lot of pasta and rice topped with chicken. Love me some beans too, I'll get a big bag and cook up a crock pot full. Freeze some of them and just take them out to make burritos as needed.

This might go well with your burritos:

1/2 head of red cabbage, shredded
1 can kidney beans, rinsed & drained
1 cup frozen corn
1/4 onion, chopped
4 roma tomatoes, seeded & chopped
12-15 sprigs of cilantro, leaves only, chopped

5 limes, juiced
1/8 cup olive oil
salt to taste

Whisk together lime juice, olive & salt. Mix everything else in a large bowl, pour the dressing over and toss.

Voila! This is my go-to side for tacos, burritos, etc. I also use it as bed for grilled chicken, or in a taco.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
If you're trying to gain some mass, try preloading before a workout as well. Ideally, you should be at about 1 gram of protein per lb if you're looking to maintain muscle, and 1.5 per pound if you're looking to gain mass. Break that down, and it's definitely more than you'd expect.

I've replaced about 10 lbs of fat with muscle by increasing my protein intake and healthy fats. (Nuts, avocados, etc.) Oh, and like I said, bread is now a treat instead of a staple. Fruits are still a major part of my diet, but that's not a part of this discussion. (Although carbs and the aforementioned sugars help transport what you need throughout your body.)

The other part is your workout routine - are you on a workout that will push your muscles? Compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, pullups/rows, overhead presses) are GREAT for building mass. You're stressing multiple parts of your body in unison, and that's a good thing.

Last edited:
You can bike, sure. What I meant by running was just essentially any type of cardio.

Just remember to always get some protein into your system after a workout. It doesn't have to be meat based, either. When you're working out, you are breaking down your muscles and they need nutrients stored back in them.

Krunker

Northernmost Kings Fan
^^ I agree about lentils. Hell, I didn't even bother with them until I began reading about them and how to incorporate them into a meal. What exactly is curry though? a powder or a bean? or something else..
Curry is a powder that is normally somewhat hot/spicy, although the level of spiciness will vary. Go to a Thai or Indian restaurant and try some of the curried dishes :)

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
If you're trying to gain some mass, try preloading before a workout as well. Ideally, you should be at about 1 gram of protein per lb if you're looking to maintain muscle, and 1.5 per pound if you're looking to gain mass. Break that down, and it's definitely more than you'd expect.

I've replaced about 10 lbs of fat with muscle by increasing my protein intake and healthy fats. (Nuts, avocados, etc.) Oh, and like I said, bread is now a treat instead of a staple. Fruits are still a major part of my diet, but that's not a part of this discussion. (Although carbs and the aforementioned sugars help transport what you need throughout your body.)

The other part is your workout routine - are you on a workout that will push your muscles? Compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, pullups/rows, overhead presses) are GREAT for building mass. You're stressing multiple parts of your body in unison, and that's a good thing.
That's been my problem. Getting enough protein and micros in my day. I don't think I eat enough throughout my day because after breakfast and dinner, I really don't know what to go for other than some nuts or some peanut butter.

How often do you eat bread? I'm trying to cut down on eating bread actually myself.

Just this week actually I started a program called 5x5 which consists only of compound exercises. Squats, bench press, rows, deadlifts, pullups, military press. Doing that three times a week for strength and mass. Hoping it will help me out. I've been stuck on the 190 plateau and I can't seem to gain any more size so I know I'm doing something wrong.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
You can bike, sure. What I meant by running was just essentially any type of cardio.

Just remember to always get some protein into your system after a workout. It doesn't have to be meat based, either. When you're working out, you are breaking down your muscles and they need nutrients stored back in them.
What's the best and healthiest protein to take after a workout?

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
What's the best and healthiest protein to take after a workout?
You want a whey-based protein for quick absorption, but then a casein-based protein for when you're not working out, although some have disagreed about casein's benefits. Breads are pretty non-existent for me. I made a pizza crust out of almond meal.