Harry Giles article: By, Harry Giles

Dream a little dream for me! Hey, you could be right! Doug Christie, who has seen Giles in practice said that down the road, Giles will be graded as the best player out of this class. I think we should just give him the ROY award now and get it over with.:rolleyes:
Has Christie be known to overhype players or is this new? But I love what we hear about him

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Practice won't have remotely the same level of intensity as a game, not to mention that he can focus on select areas in practice vs. being expected to go full bore at all ends of the court during a game. It's the same for why he's not playing in Reno, he can focus without risk of major aggravation. If he feels any stress or anything I'm sure he's under instruction to get immediate treatment, etc rather than hustle to make the next play.
I really question this point. I've heard repeatedly that the Kings players have gone at each other very hard in practice. It sure sounds similar to a game to me. I guess the question is: Is Giles scrimmaging in practice against the other players? Or, is the practice we're talking about more like fundamentals' drills and running sets in the offense, not competing against other players?

I really question this point. I've heard repeatedly that the Kings players have gone at each other very hard in practice. It sure sounds similar to a game to me. I guess the question is: Is Giles scrimmaging in practice against the other players? Or, is the practice we're talking about more like fundamentals' drills and running sets in the offense, not competing against other players?
I'm not at their practices so I've no idea but I imagine you can still go hard in practice without being in a full scrimmage. Like playing half court sets at or near full speed but not worrying about the transition. He'll get there.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Do we know the dates yet? I may have to join you guys!
Usually I don't think the dates are announced until about April or so. Typically it seems to start on the Friday after the 4th of July, which looks to be the 6th this year. However, I believe that from my experience I've seen start dates between the 7th and the 11th so I don't have any precedent to guess whether they will start on the 6th or the 13th. Then it runs for about 10 days.

Is Giles a 4 or a 5 at the nba level? PF is becoming more perimeter skilled and he seems a little on the smaller side for a 5? But I agree with taking it slow, as long as he’s getting his skill refinement in practice and his personal program

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
as expected, Kings have decided to sit Giles for the season. Watch the game from the sideline for a season and keep getting stronger and mobile. Develop some range from deep since none of the Kings' bigs can shoot from deep.

I listened to James Ham's interview on the Rise Guys this morning about this.

One thing I was excited to hear was that Giles lateral movement tested very, very well. Ham said that he has the mobility of a SF.
I’ll try to find the article from sactown royalty but it said Giles testers great recently at P3 training center. His athleticism could be back and I believe he was a WCS level athlete

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Is Giles a 4 or a 5 at the nba level? PF is becoming more perimeter skilled and he seems a little on the smaller side for a 5? But I agree with taking it slow, as long as he’s getting his skill refinement in practice and his personal program
He isvery lanky and mobile, most likely a power forward. Hopefully KG like with the way his body looks and his mobility

Kingster

Hall of Famer
To me he could be a 3,4, or 5, depending upon the matchup. If he plays against a guy like WCS, it looks like he could be a 5, not against Steven Adams.

His knees buckled when he squatted jeez and we knew duke rushed him back 6 weeks isn’t enough after surgery. Great to see he got his confidence back that’s huge part of basketball it took Derrick Rose ages to get his back.

Man I’m excited about this kid

His knees buckled when he squatted jeez and we knew duke rushed him back 6 weeks isn’t enough after surgery. Great to see he got his confidence back that’s huge part of basketball it took Derrick Rose ages to get his back.

Man I’m excited about this kid
It was interesting to read that part. Is it common that knees buckle after ACL surgery? Sounds weird

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
It was interesting to read that part. Is it common that knees buckle after ACL surgery? Sounds weird
I don't think it said that they "buckled". I read it to say that he went "knock-kneed" when he crouched, that is, that he turned his knees inwards. It's not a normal position (try it) but maybe it takes some strain off the ACL, and he was doing it subconsciously.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Has Christie be known to overhype players or is this new? But I love what we hear about him
I have never heard Doug be this effusive about a player before (with the exception of the guys he actually played with during the good times). He is usually fair but guarded, being complimentary and finding something good to comment upon. If Doug is this excited about Harry Giles, we Kings fans need to pay attention IMHO.

dont be doing any of those dam squats kid !

stay the hell away.

Cant wait to see him in SL. We'll easily win it with his hunger driving us.

If he can stay healthy and we manage him well, its a huge game changer.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
dont be doing any of those dam squats kid !

stay the hell away.

Cant wait to see him in SL. We'll easily win it with his hunger driving us.

If he can stay healthy and we manage him well, its a huge game changer.
stay away from squats? they are one of, if not the best, exercise to build solid muscular legs and power at the same time. The only time a squat is not beneficial is if your form is off, then you can hurt yourself. Kings need some players with pounds on them that can get in the paint and grab boards and make the opposition feel them instead of going through them.

stay away from squats? they are one of, if not the best, exercise to build solid muscular legs and power at the same time. The only time a squat is not beneficial is if your form is off, then you can hurt yourself. Kings need some players with pounds on them that can get in the paint and grab boards and make the opposition feel them instead of going through them.
I seem to recall Tom Brady’s controversial trainer telling Patriots players NOT to do squats. Maybe I am mis-remembering. It was in that big article about the Kraft/Belichick/Brady drama.

I think he's more of a C, but can play some PF. He had no jumpshot in HS or college..In today's NBA, your PF should at the very minimum, be a good mid-range shooter.

To me he could be a 3,4, or 5, depending upon the matchup. If he plays against a guy like WCS, it looks like he could be a 5, not against Steven Adams.
I highly doubt Giles could be a SF. He can't guard them, and would be a clog on our offense.

I seem to recall Tom Brady’s controversial trainer telling Patriots players NOT to do squats. Maybe I am mis-remembering. It was in that big article about the Kraft/Belichick/Brady drama.
That guy is kinda looney lol

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
what good are squats for Quarterbacks? They work on throwing and mechanics. It's different for a big in the NBA. Different positions. Different sport. Different circumstances.

Squats are great. With Giles history I'll never be comfortable with him loading up though. He's at a good place, added muscle all over, proportionately. Id say just maintain and do not push for further growth via squats. His explosives is off the charts it's reported, no need to go buck wild on the Smith machine or freeform

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Squats are great. With Giles history I'll never be comfortable with him loading up though. He's at a good place, added muscle all over, proportionately. Id say just maintain and do not push for further growth via squats
I'm not as concerned as you may be if he increases his squats and/or continues doing them. That only will strengthen his leg muscles and in return make him less prone to injuries IMO.

It was false than that article also stats brady being upset for not being named practice player of the week.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think he's more of a C, but can play some PF. He had no jumpshot in HS or college..In today's NBA, your PF should at the very minimum, be a good mid-range shooter.

I highly doubt Giles could be a SF. He can't guard them, and would be a clog on our offense.

That guy is kinda looney lol
Well, it was reported tonight that Giles has tested at an L.A. clinic with lateral foot speed of an elite NBA small forward. So if you have a guy who is 6'11", 245 with elite NBA small forward lateral foot speed I think think guarding SFs is within the realm of possibility.:)

Last edited:
Well, it was reported tonight that Giles has tested at an L.A. clinic with lateral foot speed of an elite small forward. So if you have a guy who is 6'9", 245 with elite small forward lateral foot speed I think think guarding SFs is within the realm of possibility.:)
That's really interesting, but I think a lot of players would test high in that type of setting lol. I don't see anyway he can guard SFs, but maybe just the slightest. Imagine having a 6'11 SF, 6'11 PF, and 7'0 C. Too much length for the opposing team to handle.