Harry Giles article: By, Harry Giles

Being healthy is not the same as being recovered. What made Giles the #1 recruit in high school was his outstanding combination of power, agility and explosiveness matched with an elite motor. Even if he is healthy, the explosiveness is not back yet.

I mean, just watch this:

This was in 2015 before his second ACL. That is the player that was ranked #1.

If you want to see what Giles could become you need to get way back. Luckily, Youtube has a lot of Team USA games available, for example the FIBA 2014 U17 games, here USA vs Japan.

Giles is the starting PF easily detectable wearing red shoes. Game starts at 10:30. First possession: Giles gets the OREB and throws down a power dunk..The thing is, he was never known for his skill level. In fact, I think he is behind the curve in terms of feel etc. No, the attraction of Giles was always his elite tools+motor. If he can get back to that level you may have something. But it is going to take time.
I think the athleticism and motor ALWAYS came with the assumption that he would continually develop his skills at 16/17yearsold. It wasn't just his athleticism and motor. There are a bunch of 4-5star recruits who wash out in college because they have the tools, but not the skills for the NBA.

I think the athleticism and motor ALWAYS came with the assumption that he would continually develop his skills at 16/17yearsold. It wasn't just his athleticism and motor. There are a bunch of 4-5star recruits who wash out in college because they have the tools, but not the skills for the NBA.
Again I think ZBo is the perfect mentor. Even with bad knees Giles has as much athleticism as ZBo. But does he have the heart and desire? Working early with ZBo everyday is a good indicator.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
My premise above is that these media members watch pretty much every game either: (1) aren't good at drawing objective and reasonable conclusions about what they see; and/or (2) they aren't forthcoming or objective about their conclusions because it's not what listeners, viewers, readers want to consume.

I suppose your post might pertain only to sizing up Giles as he can only be observed in practice and this thread has a Giles title. If so, that's fair but isn't responsive to what I was talking about in post 26.

The specific post you are quoiting says, the Kings media watches a ton of the Kings basketball but they have a long track record of being really really bad about giving objective and accurate projections for several players. And the reply is "Hey. They can't watch practices" I don't think the amount of input is materially coloring the output. Do you?

I think it's more about the fact that their shrinking audience doesn't like bad news and isn't particular interested in objectivity when it doesn't comport with their views and hopes regarding the Kings. And that most of them are directly or indirectly employed by the team.
I responded to the portion of your post that specifically addressed Harry Giles. I figured bolding it would make that clear. Since that's the case, I'm thinking that's about as responsive as I can get.

When is Giles going to play? We've heard it's January. Well, it's January! Let's see the young man play!!!
Patients man what’s the rush for Sixers fans were doing the same thing with Ben who could’ve cane back that year in February but sat the season. And I’m oretty sure Giles will go to the Dleague first than come up

Yes, I agree.

I wouldn't hold your breath that he plays at all this year.
When you say that, do you mean playing with the Kings or with the Bighorns? I could see him get some minutes on the bighors this year if the upcoming evaluation of his knees is positive.

Personally, I wouldn't mind at all if Harry Giles took this whole year off to strengthen his knees, body and mind.

Like what Blake Griffin, Ben Simmons, Nerlens Noel, and Joel Embiid did after an inury.

Giles can come back as a rookie next year and take the NBA by storm and win the 2018-19 Rookie of the Year award! ;)

Yes, I agree.

When you say that, do you mean playing with the Kings or with the Bighorns? I could see him get some minutes on the bighors this year if the upcoming evaluation of his knees is positive.
It's not like I have any knowledge of what's going on but if you told me I had to wager $20 on it, I'd say that he doesn't play for Sac or Reno at all this year.

Giles actually played last year with Duke toward the end of the season. He's been healthy for a long, long time. I think there is such a thing as overly cautious.
I agree. They decided to give him a full 2 years following his final surgery. I see nothing to be gained by waiting longer. It might also help fuel some life back into the team the rest of the way (as much for the fans as the players.)

Giles actually played last year with Duke toward the end of the season. He's been healthy for a long, long time. I think there is such a thing as overly cautious.
I remember reading that Duke rushes him back and that he never really got to strength his knees. He only did rehab now that he’s strengthening them he should regain most of his explosiveness and quickness. Look at Derrick Rose he still has his quickness. Between getting his knees strong and practicing with the team he should be looking good if what we hear is correct

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I remember reading that Duke rushes him back and that he never really got to strength his knees. He only did rehab now that he’s strengthening them he should regain most of his explosiveness and quickness. Look at Derrick Rose he still has his quickness. Between getting his knees strong and practicing with the team he should be looking good if what we hear is correct
So is Giles going to play this season or not? The story line was that in January he was going to play. Has anybody said anything differently?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So is Giles going to play this season or not? The story line was that in January he was going to play. Has anybody said anything differently?
I don't think they said he would play in January. What they did say was that he would be brought along and evaluated periodically, with January as some kind of benchmark IIRC.

What if he doesn't play? It's not like we need him this year. I would much rather keep him in reserve and not risk additional injury at this point, and let the staff make some other determinations before he shows up.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Those dates ARE NOT arbitrary. They're merely estimates, nothing more. Here's what the injury report says as of 1/5:

01/05/18 George Hill PG Personal Game Time Decision
01/02/18 Harry Giles PF Knee Expected to be out until at least Jan 13
01/02/18 Frank Mason III PG Heel Expected to be out until at least Jan 9

I don't think they said he would play in January. What they did say was that he would be brought along and evaluated periodically, with January as some kind of benchmark IIRC.

What if he doesn't play? It's not like we need him this year. I would much rather keep him in reserve and not risk additional injury at this point, and let the staff make some other determinations before he shows up.
Ben Simmons could have played in Feb. of 2017 but the 76ers held him out all season as a precaution. I would not be surprised if the Kings did the same with Harry Giles.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I agree. They decided to give him a full 2 years following his final surgery. I see nothing to be gained by waiting longer. It might also help fuel some life back into the team the rest of the way (as much for the fans as the players.)
Yes. It could really help for next year if he gets a half of a season under his belt this year. And I doubt they play the guy more than 20 minutes a game, anyway.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

Well, it's not like it's a cost-less option. If he doesn't play, he doesn't get experience. If he doesn't get experience, he doesn't get better. If he doesn't get better, then the Kings don't get better because of his play. That said, I just hope the docs really "know" what has to be done, as opposed to guessing and covering their rears by not playing him. The last surgery Giles had was at the beginning of October 2016; it was arthroscopic surgery and he was out of action for about six weeks from what I can tell. So he's been "healthy" for more almost 14 months. I hope we see him in February.

Well, it's not like it's a cost-less option. If he doesn't play, he doesn't get experience. If he doesn't get experience, he doesn't get better. If he doesn't get better, then the Kings don't get better because of his play. That said, I just hope the docs really "know" what has to be done, as opposed to guessing and covering their rears by not playing him. The last surgery Giles had was at the beginning of October 2016; it was arthroscopic surgery and he was out of action for about six weeks from what I can tell. So he's been "healthy" for more almost 14 months. I hope we see him in February.
I think Giles needs as much basketball experience as he can get. He's been out of basketball for way too long and I'm pretty sure it's hampered his development as a player. I guess I'm ok with taking this slow approach, but it would be worrying to see him not get any basketball action this year. He was supposedly healthy after a minor surgery, but gets held out for 17 months after that?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think I'll trust in Pete Youngman and the rest of the guys to make the right decision for Harry and for the Kings. :)

I’m no doctor but 6 weeks for arthroscopic knee surgery sounds short.

Don’t know why some of y’all want him back so quick. Let him build strength in his knees he’s practicing with the team so it’s not like he’s just sitting there.