Grant Napear???

Is it wise to have such a negative play by play man?

I no longer listen to his radio show as he constantly spouts anti-Kings agenda.

Also not forgotten is how long he supported the Maloofs.

Maybe it is time for Grant to work for a team he actually likes?

OK so it is spelled Napear, you know I meant the Redhead:)

The arrogant, blatant New York City homer arrived Sac 1988. Broadcaster for Kings since early 1990s. Dude long ago wore out his welcome here. Long list of reasons Napear needs to be fired by Kings organization and sooner the better.

He feels too much autonomy in speaking his mind on certain issues - Cousins, resting players. Almost like he takes his job for granted. Needs to be put in check by team ownership/management, but the fact he hasn't may be the incompetence of the stewardship

I would prefer him gone. During the relocation era specifically anehiem he took a hard stance to support the maloofs and would talk down to his callers supporting the team staying in town I remember it clearly. Now I get he has a family to support BUT he hitched his horse to that wagon and should be shown the door.

I would prefer him gone. During the relocation era specifically anehiem he took a hard stance to support the maloofs and would talk down to his callers supporting the team staying in town I remember it clearly. Now I get he has a family to support BUT he hitched his horse to that wagon and should be shown the door.
it was troubling bc i was listening to his show to see what the news was about the kings. he was shouting at the callers that were genuinely concerned about the team. i will never forget that period.

The funny thing is, if he were fired by the Kings and went on another local radio station for his own independent show, his ratings would be better than they are now.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
The funny thing is, if he were fired by the Kings and went on another local radio station for his own independent show, his ratings would be better than they are now.
Mileage may vary on that, unless you're counting, like, the Bay area as "local." Which would be kind of cheating, IYAM. And, anyway, what does that prove, except that a bunch of people like ****ty sports radio?

I would wager against it. He's not good enough to anchor a national show full time. And yes I know he fills in for Rome once in a blue moon. His show has the ratings it does because we're a one team city and he's on during the drive home.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I know it's de rigueur around here to throw shade at Grant Napear, but I just can't get up the indignation to join in. I know some absolutely hate his announcing, but he's more to my taste than any other *team* announcers I ever happen to come across. I think he tries to not be a homer announcer, which is good, and to the extent that he points out positive things about the opponents, I don't have a problem with it. He gets a bunch of grief for "slobbering" on the Warriors when we play them, but guess what? The Warriors are winning a lot of games. Do we really want an announcer to pretend every opponent is .500 when it's blatantly untrue? And he doesn't pussyfoot around the negatives that Cousins brings (mostly outbursts against the refs and techs), but I don't want an announcer to pretend these things didn't happen or that they don't matter, or that we should just accept them on the assumption that Cousins can't improve himself. And those who dislike Grant's handling of Cousins make it sounds as if he's always negative about him and tend to ignore his excited screams when Cousins is dominating the game ("COUSINS!!! HAS DONE IT AGAIN!!!"). To me, in his play-by-play, he's quite fair.

I get that there are reasons to dislike him. His radio persona can be overly aggressive (in the few instances I have listened to it). That's not to my taste, but it's also not play-by-play. People say he wants to run Cousins out of town. Again, this may be radio, but I hardly think there's any of that in his play-by-play. He might even be a jerk in real life for all I know. Again, it's not his play-by-play.

So if you want him fired from KHTK - well, I don't really listen, I wouldn't change my listening habits based on whether he was there or gone, so I'm not going ot join either side of the argument. But I'm perfectly happy with his performance as play-by-play announcer, and I wouldn't join in any call to oust him.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Grant and Jerry on TV announcing were recently rated the #2 broadcast team in all the NBA. We here agree totally. Listening to other broadcast teams its easy to see how good they really are. He calls it as he sees it for both teams and of course says a bit more about the Kings, as much favorable as possible. How easy is it to put positive spins on games like Chicago in the first 3 quarters or so many miserable games with so many inabilities to close out games. He's paid by the Kings so positive or neutral spins are required. What he does on his radio broadcasts are totally different situation. Deal with it.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I know it's de rigueur around here to throw shade at Grant Napear, but I just can't get up the indignation to join in. I know some absolutely hate his announcing, but he's more to my taste than any other *team* announcers I ever happen to come across. I think he tries to not be a homer announcer, which is good, and to the extent that he points out positive things about the opponents, I don't have a problem with it. He gets a bunch of grief for "slobbering" on the Warriors when we play them, but guess what? The Warriors are winning a lot of games. Do we really want an announcer to pretend every opponent is .500 when it's blatantly untrue?
Napear isn't remotely unique in this regard. One of the many things that make Napear so off-putting is how hard he overcorrects in the name of "not being a homer."

As to the rest, my sense of your post is that your response to peoples' grievances with Napear's steez is, "Eh, don't bother me none!" Which is cool, but I am inclined to state that it's hardly a vote of confidence.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
As to the rest, my sense of your post is that your response to peoples' grievances with Napear's steez is, "Eh, don't bother me none!" Which is cool, but I am inclined to state that it's hardly a vote of confidence.
"Don't bother me none" is more or less right, though I do think that there was a bit more of a vote of confidence than just that ("he's more to my taste than any other *team* announcers I ever happen to come across", "I'm perfectly happy with his performance as play-by-play announcer").

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
"More to my tastes" works for me, for whatever you think that's worth; 'de gustibus,' and all that. I'm much more bothered by people who say that he's one of the best in the league. I know that I, personally, rank him in the bottom seven but, even looking at it objectively, I can't see how he could objectively be ranked any higher than twelfth.

I like Grant. He and Jerry are great. I listen only once in a while to hIs talk show. Maybe two or three ltimes a week for 5-10-15 minutes. I've done that since he started here. Has great Kings guests and does great interviews. I don't turn him off near as often as I used to. We have something good. Let's keep him.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I didn't mind Grant all that much earlier in his career. Maybe I wasn't paying as much attention then or maybe he's gotten bitter over watching so much terrible basketball and he's acting out more as a result. It just seems to me that he goes on the air now with axes to grind and uses his position as play-by-play guy to grind them any chance he can. It's completely obvious when he's coloring his comments with his own biases and over the last couple of years I've reached the point where enough is enough. I'm tired of hearing his opinion all the time -- that's not what I turn the games on to hear -- and I wish he would just call the game with enthusiasm instead of editorializing. He did protect the Maloofs on the air for years while they worked behind the scenes to extract this team from the city of Sacramento. He has a history of throwing barbs at players with no basis in anything but his own delusions (Kevin Martin, Bobby Jackson). And of course he never takes responsibility for any of it, insisting all along that he's just reporting the facts.

For my money he's part of the same coterie of self-serving scavengers leaching off this organization as the Bee's reporters and I wish he would just go away and bother some other fanbase. Fortunately I have very little reason to listen to him anymore since League Pass lets you select the home or the away broadcast, but I will celebrate the day his negativity is finally gone for good almost as much as I will celebrate when Ailene finds something else to do. Their brand of relentless negativity isn't healthy for anyone and while I don't listen to their nonsense anymore, other people do and some of them even believe it.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I've become less and less of a fan of Napear. Honestly his bias concerning some issues comes out and I think it grates on me.....and it's more than his deal with Cousins. I think much of the time he is ill informed on some subjects. I think Jerry should retire and turn it over to Doug Christie who has way, way more insight.

Bottom line isi think Grant is a tired act. Would love a new person in that role. On the flip side, I love Gary Gerould and wish he could go on forever. Just can't say the same about Grant

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Grant and Jerry are good once in a blue moon but watching them every night, their tropes can be grating (Hey guys, did you know Jerry Reynolds is from the same town in Indiana as Larry Bird AND coached Bob McAdoo in junior college AND was a high school ref? AND have you been keeping track of how close random players A, B, and C are to a triple double? If not, have no fear because Grant will be sure to tell you every couple of possessions. AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE THAT YOU DON'T LIKE NBA BASKETBALL!) At least they aren't Tommy Heinsohn though.

Gary Gerould on the other hand is one of the best radio play-by-play guys in all of sports.

Grant and Jerry are good once in a blue moon but watching them every night, their tropes can be grating (Hey guys, did you know Jerry Reynolds is from the same town in Indiana as Larry Bird AND coached Bob McAdoo in junior college AND was a high school ref? AND have you been keeping track of how close random players A, B, and C are to a triple double? If not, have no fear because Grant will be sure to tell you every couple of possessions. AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE THAT YOU DON'T LIKE NBA BASKETBALL!) At least they aren't Tommy Heinsohn though.

Gary Gerould on the other hand is one of the best radio play-by-play guys in all of sports.
Dont forget the constant mentioning of Klays 37 point quarter. I knew it was coming the moment they started talking about the 35 point comeback, which inevitably leads to their usual discussion of most amazing moments.

Napear is a talented TV guy. I want him to stay on the air.

He's also got a good voice for radio & has good contacts for guests.

But even being capable on the radio I get tired of him. The Maloof denial for awhile sealed it for me years ago. The Cousins rants have really bothered me at times too.

I remember wondering about why is he not criticizing things like the Landry signing? Why isn't he discussing our lack of payroll flexibility in the past as reasons we have no real hope of acquiring big money talent? What fools the FO was for not getting anything with Thomas, how we could of easily matched and moved him later if need be.

Basically to be more honest and candid of the front office disasters, current and prior ownership issues.

And on the radio, you can really direct what the talking points of the day are going to be.

Way too soft on the organization over the years.

So I'm ok with him on TV, should of been off the radio a decade ago.

Last edited:
I know it's de rigueur around here to throw shade at Grant Napear, but I just can't get up the indignation to join in. I know some absolutely hate his announcing, but he's more to my taste than any other *team* announcers I ever happen to come across. I think he tries to not be a homer announcer, which is good, and to the extent that he points out positive things about the opponents, I don't have a problem with it. He gets a bunch of grief for "slobbering" on the Warriors when we play them, but guess what? The Warriors are winning a lot of games. Do we really want an announcer to pretend every opponent is .500 when it's blatantly untrue? And he doesn't pussyfoot around the negatives that Cousins brings (mostly outbursts against the refs and techs), but I don't want an announcer to pretend these things didn't happen or that they don't matter, or that we should just accept them on the assumption that Cousins can't improve himself. And those who dislike Grant's handling of Cousins make it sounds as if he's always negative about him and tend to ignore his excited screams when Cousins is dominating the game ("COUSINS!!! HAS DONE IT AGAIN!!!"). To me, in his play-by-play, he's quite fair.

I get that there are reasons to dislike him. His radio persona can be overly aggressive (in the few instances I have listened to it). That's not to my taste, but it's also not play-by-play. People say he wants to run Cousins out of town. Again, this may be radio, but I hardly think there's any of that in his play-by-play. He might even be a jerk in real life for all I know. Again, it's not his play-by-play.

So if you want him fired from KHTK - well, I don't really listen, I wouldn't change my listening habits based on whether he was there or gone, so I'm not going ot join either side of the argument. But I'm perfectly happy with his performance as play-by-play announcer, and I wouldn't join in any call to oust him.
I wish I'd seen this before replying in the Bulls Grades thread. Would have saved me some time. Completely agree sir.

I don't mind Grant so much when I watch the games, probably since he is who I listened to since I was born, but I really can't stand how he talks to people he disagrees with on his radio show. Sometimes it seems like the slightest thing will send him off the edge, so I find it a little ironic how he talks about Cousins being a hot head. If I remember correctly, he told a listener on his show that he was an idiot several times, before telling him to go into work and tell his boss he was quitting because he is such an idiot.

Send Napear packing. He's a big boy, he'll be alright.

Bring in Doug Christie and a new pbp guy next year.
Please, no Doug! He's fine talking about basketball (although I prefer Bobby Jackson or even Henry Turner), but once he starts talking about other sports I find him unlistenable.