Grades?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Okay, it's no secret that Bricklayer is no longer here. He is not MIA, however. He is alive and well at PelicansReport, having chosen to hitch his wagon to the DMC star.

This thread isn't about Brickie, though. It's in response to a couple of questions I've received regarding the grade thread for the coming season.

What do you guys think? While I don't know if anyone can do the grades with the same panache as Brick, I think there is an opportunity here for someone(s) to pick up the torch. It is a LOT of work, however. One thought I had was for different members to assess the performance of one player each over the course of the season, but that would mean a lot of work for those who pick starters. Another thought I had was to have interested parties toss their names in a hat, so to speak, and then we'd pick different members periodically to write on particular players.

I haven't talked this over with the other mods, so I don't know if any of them have thought about this.

Let's hear your ideas.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I don't remember if Brick did grades for preseason games or not (especially with games with no legal way of watching the action aside from physically being at the arena) but I was half-debating trying to take the grade threads over as I did during most of summer league.

(As a complete side note, writing grade threads is a little easier than writing game threads in that you're writing about what you just saw rather than accumulating crud about the next game yet to be played)

I'm not a big fixture on this forum,
but I do frequent it. I usually just skimmed the grades post, I always enjoyed the chatter after the initial post where people chimed in with their grades for players (seeing people give an F for mclemore was always cathartic). I'm not sure the same amount of effort is required is what I think I'm getting at.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't remember if Brick did grades for preseason games or not (especially with games with no legal way of watching the action aside from physically being at the arena) but I was half-debating trying to take the grade threads over as I did during most of summer league.

(As a complete side note, writing grade threads is a little easier than writing game threads in that you're writing about what you just saw rather than accumulating crud about the next game yet to be played)
Well, that was easy! :)

I actually mentioned your name in a "conversation" with one of the members who asked me about this. I didn't want to put you on the spot, but now that you've brought it up...

I can at least do a basic game thread. It may not have your flair, but it's basically just opening the door for the discussion that follows.

I like the idea of having someone (Iced Espresso volunteered) chart the progress of Papa. It feels as though he might be the most "controversial" figure on the roster this season.

I love you guys.

origkds

What- Me Worry?
Well, that was easy! :)

I actually mentioned your name in a "conversation" with one of the members who asked me about this. I didn't want to put you on the spot, but now that you've brought it up...

I can at least do a basic game thread. It may not have your flair, but it's basically just opening the door for the discussion that follows.

I like the idea of having someone (Iced Espresso volunteered) chart the progress of Papa. It feels as though he might be the most "controversial" figure on the roster this season.

I love you guys.
Another vote for Tetsujin

VF, even if we don't get a crew together to do the grades each week or if Tet doesn't get the time, I say post up a grades thread after each game and we'll all just add our own abbreviated grades/post game talk ourselves.

The grades threads were always my favorites around here and even if we don't have someone dedicated to do it each game, I think the rest of us can unofficially pick up the slack.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
VF, even if we don't get a crew together to do the grades each week or if Tet doesn't get the time, I say post up a grades thread after each game and we'll all just add our own abbreviated grades/post game talk ourselves.

The grades threads were always my favorites around here and even if we don't have someone dedicated to do it each game, I think the rest of us can unofficially pick up the slack.
Sounds like a plan to me. :)

gunks

Hall of Famer
As someone who only catches about 1 game in 5 due to working nights and living far far away from Sac, I've always really appreciated the grades threads.

I know we have a bunch of awesome posters here who'll be up to the task, especially if it's done by committee, and I thank you guys in advance!

VF I like the idea of the Grade thread being started and we all just post to it in a free form fashion.

As for Brick I miss his posts and hope the Pels do well for his sake except when matched up with the Kings. Then I want the Kings to rain three's on their heads and win by a large margin:)

Yeah, my main problem is that I currently live halfway around the world so games end roughly at 1:30 PM here, AKA right in the middle of real work time so if someone could at least post a grades thread for people to post in while I'm otherwise occupied, it would be a lifesaver.
You are just going to have to tell your work that Kings game grades come first. I'm sure they will understand .

I don't post all that much and wouldn't be able to do every game but would volunteer to do the grades for a certain number of them throughout the season. Maybe we could divvy it up by games that we each know we can and will watch?? I can probably handle 10 games this year. Just thinking outloud.. I agree at the very least we should have a thread that everyone can contribute to though.

Thankful to Brick for his services rendered. Great guy to have around when you support his views, but otherwise ...

I'm confident in the numerous posters we have here who are equally intelligent when it comes to basketball, and sometimes more objective too. Were this two years ago I'd be happy to contribute as well, but alas, this might just be the first Kings season in 10 years where I miss more than a handful of games.

For sure would be nice to have individual grades again along lines of in-depth style presented by Brick. And in the past some Kings Fans have chimed in with their own grades, although usually not all encompassing. That's always cool to see. But what I like to read more in-depth analysis of actual game action, strategy deployed, coaching decisions and all the rest. But we seem to get lots of that in the live game thread.

As far as Brick switching loyalty to Pels means nothing to me. Just like team loyalty means nothing to most pro athletes who regardless what they say put loyalty in this order: Self, Agent, NBA, Teammates, Team/Organization and last Fans/City. That's big reason like college basketball and amateur sports more than NBA and pro sports. More than any one team forever loyalty (for sure Go Kings!) I go way back. Was once huge ABA fan with Dr. J, George Gervin, Charlie Scott, etc. playing current NBA "pace" run and gun before became all the rage. Back then a Houston Rockets fan and later moving to Bay Area a
San Francisco Warriors fan and now it's Kings all the way since since 1985. Finally, now that recently retired can write more long rambling posts;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Okay, back to the topic at hand. It appears we do have sufficient interest to continue the grades thread. I'm glad to see it because I truly believe this season is going to be the start of something very special. We mods can start the thread and then, through the magic of our divine powers, merge in Tetsu's comments or do whatever else it takes to maintain some sense of continuity. You guys know me well enough to know I'm all about continuity (except when I'm not). ;)

I'm also toying with the idea of creating some kind of grade poll for one player a game, where all of you can vote on what you think his grade should be, We could probably do something like that for the starters, but at this point it would be somewhat problematic since I think Joerger is going to be doing a lot of maneuvering to see who fits best with whom, etc.

In the past I tend to do my own grades in the post-game thread regardless. What excites me in more of an official capacity is doing a recap of the game (including key opponents) and select grades of the most impactful players positive or negative, usually that's about 5 or 6 Kings players and a couple on the opposition that standout as influential for better or worse. It always seemed kind of pointless to give a guy a C- or C+ when he is 12 minutes 1-4 FGs 2 rebs 1 assist or whatever. Grading everyone who plays is tedious IMHO, whereas doing a recap and grading players who make the difference between winning and losing is more stream of conscious and something that I can bust out and post soon after the final buzzer sounds.

I loved the grades threads and would like to see them continue. I don't know which games I'm able to watch until the night of, but I'll participate when I can.

Have always loved the "game grades" that Brick and others have done for us. I look forward to whatever our good posters can put together. I have only followed the Kings as a STH since the beginnng but don't have the keen eye for all parts of the game to be a useful grader and analyzer. But I will contribute to the conversation. Thanks VF and all who contribute.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Fixed for you ;)

j/k all those guys are good choices
Sounds like Blob has volunteered!!!! :)

I think we should certainly consider the format - probably trying to make it a bit less labor intensive than it has been in the past - but I don't have time to do so just now. I'm taking a long weekend, so I might be able to come up with some ideas then.

I also value the grades thread and don’t see it as dependent on Brick. If one person can take responsibility for starting the thread so it is available immediately after every game, I think that will be great. I’d also like to encourage Tetsujin to give it his colorful handle, as often as he can manage. Same goes for anyone else who wants to contribute a columnesque piece to each thread. But I ask for one favor. Please don’t discourage anyone from contributing! I once posted in a grades thread before Brick got to the task and was lectured by a few people that I should always allow Brick to go first. Hail Brick.

I haven’t posted on here since the trade. Like Brick (who I also miss), I think the Kings squandered an opportunity to get a ring, etc, etc.

But now I live in SF and am a die hard Warriors fan!

JK… I just needed a break I guess. Glad to see everyone is excited.

There's something fun about gambling. You don’t know what you’re going to get and you could win big. That’s one of the reasons why this year, and the grades, will be fun!