[Grades] Grades vs. Grizzlies, 1/20/17

If there was a positive to take from the game, it's that Willie appears to have worked on his shot a bit whilst being benched.
Those guard skills baby! :D

Honestly Willie did ok in his minutes. Once again I think he could have done a lot better on the glass, if he simply would play with more force and aggression, but his D on Zbo was alright and it's a welcomed sight, that he takes the shot, when he is open. In fact his teammates refused to pass him the ball a couple of times, despite him being in alley-oup position or in the paint to catch and finish.

Cousins had a rare terrible second half. He was something 0-8, missed foul shots and turned the ball over and still had the highest grade of any player rated above.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Cousins had a rare terrible second half. He was something 0-8, missed foul shots and turned the ball over and still had the highest grade of any player rated above.
& He's probably (definitely?) the reason we lost if you ask some people. :rolleyes:

This season is simply awful. I'm wondering who will become the scapegoat this year. Last year is was obviously Karl. In years past we have had PDA and IT. This year there is no clear cut favorite to be the scapegoat. Sadly, however, I am afraid it may be Vlade's turn.
I think this is the year kings fans will realize our team has always been ass

K

KingMilz

I thought this game was "for Rudy"? All talk no actions......

'I out work everyone" - WCS
"Cousins goal this year is to have less than 5 techs" - 2 or 3 years ago

Basically everything in terms of talk that comes out of the mouth of Kings players is a bunch of moral posturing with zero spine or work ethic/mental strength to ever back it up. I don't believe for a second when guys like Cousins say all they want to do is win in Sacramento and than go out in the Indiana game with the game on the line and not run back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know where you got these stats from. Cousins did not have a great second half. Our team as a whole sucked.

Cousins was 5-11 FG / 2-3 3PT / 7-10 FT's 19 pts-10 rebs-2 Assist-1Block
http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400900065
He had that dumb technical and 4 turnovers and only played 28 minutes as we sucked as a team. I only speak for myself but the tech and turnovers is why he didnt get a higher grade. If you eliminate Player and team names, what would you give someone with the above stat line? Thats how I first approach a grade, then put a little context for minor +/- adjustments.

All are welcome to give a grade to any player. Mine are just my opinion.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
He's not the reason we won, or are a winning team

That's what you look for when paying someone 200+
We aren't a winning team because of everything. You cannot feasibly say it ALL lies completely on DMC. Does some of it? Yeah, of course I'll give you that.

Obviously we have learned DMC isn't the tier of player that can single-handedly bring a team to the playoffs. Is that what we hold against him now?

But when the players around him are (and have been his entire career) so subpar every single flaw, mistake, technical, lapse in defense, argument that causes him to not get back on D is going to be out under a microscope. It's easy to point to DMC's flaws. IMO It should be easier to point to the flaws everywhere else, but the biggest part of the team has the largest target I guess.

Seriously. The best PF he's ever played with is still Jason freakin' Thompson. That's not DMC's fault. And that speaks volumes why this team hasn't won a lot.

His teammates aren't good enough. I'd be curious to see how Westbrook would do with this cast (replace Collison with a C of similar impact)

Westbrook / Payne
Oladipo / Abrines
Roberson / Grant
Sabonis / Grant
Adams / Kanter

... is better than...

Westbrook / Lawson
Temple / Afflalo
Gay / Barnes
Tolliver / Barnes
Koufos / Asik (swapping Collison for Asik)

Payne < Lawson
Oladipo > Temple
Abrines = Afflalo
Roberson < Gay
Grant > Barnes
Sabonis = Tolliver
Adams > Koufos
Kanter > Asik

K

KingMilz

His teammates aren't good enough. I'd be curious to see how Westbrook would do with this cast (replace Collison with a C of similar impact)

Westbrook / Payne
Oladipo / Abrines
Roberson / Grant
Sabonis / Grant
Adams / Kanter

... is better than...

Westbrook / Lawson
Temple / Afflalo
Gay / Barnes
Tolliver / Barnes
Koufos / Asik (swapping Collison for Asik)

Payne < Lawson
Oladipo > Temple
Abrines = Afflalo
Roberson < Gay
Grant > Barnes
Sabonis = Tolliver
Adams > Koufos
Kanter > Asik
You forgot Westbrook > Cousins also Asik is the worst player in the NBA not sure how he can be compared to DC.

The Thunders roster is slightly better imo but a large part of that is WB being better than Cousins.

You forgot Westbrook > Cousins also Asik is the worst player in the NBA not sure how he can be compared to DC.

The Thunders roster is slightly better imo but a large part of that is WB being better than Cousins.
Didn't say Westbrook wasn't better.

And no. McLemore is worse. Asik and Collison have similar RPM this year hence the comparison.

And so could other teams. This we could have drafted the guy thing is played out. What we could have draft The Greek Freek too
Do other teams whiff on everything sans IT 6-7 years in a row too? Ill wait.

Who else had 3 shots within the first 29 picks to pick him up? is our scouting that bad?

K

KingMilz

Didn't say Westbrook wasn't better.

And no. McLemore is worse. Asik and Collison have similar RPM this year hence the comparison.
Come on seriously have you watched Asik play lately he's just beyond garbage comparing him to DC is just not right and Asik has lost his starting spot with literally no one competing against him.

I thought this game was "for Rudy"? All talk no actions......

Despite his solid numbers Cousins looked bad out there. His defense was bad, he missed his fair share of really good looks and missed his fair share of rebounding opportunities. He deserves some of the criticism for this loss.
But what really bothers me, is the amount of open 3's his teammates miss. You can't ask more from Cuz, than to set up his teammates like he does in January. But when Tolliver, DC, Barnes and Afflalo just keep bricking 3 after 3 after 3, Cousins really can't do anything about it. Of course with Cousins acting more like a playmaker, more TO's happen. He tries the fancy pass a little too often. But when his teammates fumble layup opportunities, it's just inexcusable.
And the rebounding......boy how awful can a NBA veteran be on the glass, when every game the opposing wings and guards fly in uncontested for offensive boards? Tony Allen had 5 offensive boards, Ennis 3, Green 2, Conley and Harrison 1. That's 12 offensive boards from people crashing the boards while starting on the perimeter, when the shot goes up. We on the other hand had 3 offensive rebounds from Tolliver and 1 from Cousins. No offensive rebounding from the perimeter guys (excluding Tolliver) at all.

We lack shooting, athleticism and defense. Cousins needs to do a better job protecting the rim and rotating, he needs to hit the shots the D gives him, but no matter what he does, he won't carry these guys to the Playoffs.
This roster is just not up to the challenge and is outmatched in the athleticism, rebounding and shooting categories almost every night.

No one thinks team chemistry has anything to do with the play on the court. Year after year the same thing happens. We need a scapegoat ASAP.

Come on seriously have you watched Asik play lately he's just beyond garbage comparing him to DC is just not right and Asik has lost his starting spot with literally no one competing against him.
I haven't watched him play this year. I'm just going off his impact stats.

And it doesn't really matter because this isn't the point. If you don't like Asik as the substitution, use another player you like better for the example.