Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Never! MUHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Votes: 14 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well that is your opinion:) If coming off the bench was good enough for Bobby J it is good enough for Garrett Temple.
The difference being that BJax was a classic sixth man. Energy guy who can change the complexion of a game. He was a SG in a PG's body (who rebounded much bigger) and who could get hit and spark the offense.

Temple isn't the same kind of player. Whether starting or off the bench he's more of a glue guy. Good defender, can hit from outside a bit, handles decently for a SG, makes the right pass, is usually on the right position when it comes to the team defense etc. He can be a very complimentary starter or a versatile bench player but he's not a classic sixth man.

I like him off the bench but the problem is that I really don't like McLemore or Afflalo as starters. Ben just makes too many mistakes and disappears for stretches and Arron is a bad fit, at least when Gay and Cousins are both in the lieneup and especially if Koufos is too. Just not enough spacing or ball movement. So GT is the guy I'd start just by default.

Maybe a Rudy trade and/or other deals will change the complexion of the team but for right now that's how I see things.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
? So should Boogie come off the bench to avoid foul trouble early? It's not a real argument whatsoever to limit Temple's minutes off the bench against worse offensive players. Minutes should be distributed in ways to best maximize players talents. Temple's would be better against better offensive wings.
I have already stated that I agree in concept with you. I would probably start Temple also. The only argument I have against that move is that the coach doesn't agree and we have won three games in a row. I don't know the inner workings of Yoeger's mind but I assume, as with all of us, he has a reason for doing what he is doing. It's a buzzkill to make the assumption that a coach knows more than us but that isn't necessarily what I am saying. I am saying he has some internal plan on how he wants to use his players. He must stay consistent with himself.

This doesn't make you or I wrong as if we were coaches, we would have our own plans on how to use players and we would stay internally consistent. Does this make sense? I can try to explain myself further if need be. Essentially, Dave is not Glenn or Jamal and all three of us might do quite well but in different ways.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I have already stated that I agree in concept with you. I would probably start Temple also. The only argument I have against that move is that the coach doesn't agree and we have won three games in a row. I don't know the inner workings of Yoeger's mind but I assume, as with all of us, he has a reason for doing what he is doing. It's a buzzkill to make the assumption that a coach knows more than us but that isn't necessarily what I am saying. I am saying he has some internal plan on how he wants to use his players. He must stay consistent with himself.

This doesn't make you or I wrong as if we were coaches, we would have our own plans on how to use players and we would stay internally consistent. Does this make sense? I can try to explain myself further if need be. Essentially, Dave is not Glenn or Jamal and all three of us might do quite well but in different ways.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Joerger knows more than us. Agree with your point, he has a plan and he's sticking to it. I only guess why he does it, I don't go around saying he's a moron which is laughable. Joerger has a flawed roster and he has to piece 48 minutes together.

Last edited:
Temple has spent most of his career as a back up. Walden hired him as a backup. Coach entered the season using him as a backup. He is a very good and successful backup. He is a much better backup than Aaron or Ben or Malachi. So I can just guess why Joerger uses him as a backup. Not rocket science.

Averages are often skewed. In key games recently this season Garrett has been in foul trouble. When he really gets into whoever is tearing it up (Zach LaVine the other night) the fouls are going to happen since the rules favor guards with the ball so much now.
He had a couple games in a row where he got in foul trouble but hasn't really been in foul trouble all year other than those two games. They just stick out because they're recent games. I just don't think it's a good reason to not start him when you're falling behind by 10 nearly every 1st quarter. He's not like Cousins who leads the league nearly every year in fouls. He doesn't need any special sort of management to keep him out of foul trouble.