• Vasquez

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Patterson

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

As most people expected coming into this one, this game was all about Chuck Hayes. His skill and athleticism, his good looks and charm, his fashion sense, did you know his favorite movie is Yentl? It was amazing. He is amazing.

But I suppose once you get past the awesomeness that is Chuck Hayes, this was also a game about finding just enough from just enough guys...and then capping it with one of THOSE quarters from Isaiah. You know the ones I'm talking about. 3-4 times a year he has a quarter where he starts getting more excited than a rained on rooster, and the game descends into a strange push away the keyboard and watch playground exhibition of one man against the world. The Thunder, who's stars BTW were both much worse than their statlines, especially Westbrook who doesn't look fully back yet, kept sputtering and puffing and surging and going ice cold and never did get into a sustained put them away rhythm. Finally the door was held open long enough for Isaiah to almost storm through it with a 21pt 4th quarter explosion. But to get there you need a quick early push by Greivis, and kind of somewhat steady work by JT as the last big big standing. And you needed Williams to shoot and defend Durant in the earlier game, and Patterson to try to make up for a crap shooting night with work on the boards and defense. You need the rookie to flash early before fading late (why does that shot look so good yet end up off target so much?). You needed Thornton and Salmons to each hit a big three despite more bad nights, and yes, you needed Chuck to make his case that HE should be the starting center and begin the Trade Cousins bandwagon. Guys chipped in, including Westbrook, and we ended up almost stealing one down the stretch. About as much as you could have hoped for given the circumstances. Well except for Pretty Girls. They did blow that.

Your Consoritum Graders tonight:
Bricklayer
Uncia03
Bajaden
Capt. Factorial
Henkel

Boxscore

Stats: 27min 13pts (5-10, 0-2, 3-4) 0reb 0ast 1stl 0blk 1TO
Williams ( C+ ) -- This was a hard one to judge. Williams did some very good things in the game, especially playing pretty good defense on Durant. Not perfect by any means. In one sequence, he left Durant open on the perimeter to help in the post, and it cost the team a 3 pt basket. But for the most part, he did enough to make Durant uncomfortable. It was a combination of Durant being cold, and Williams encouraging him to stay that way, that added up to a pretty good defensive effort. Offensively, he finally showed that he could hit a jumpshot. He started the game by hitting a 12 foot fade away. On the next offensive possession he got a little too fancy with his ballhandling and Durant stole the ball. A bit later he made a very nice defensive play when Westbrook threw up an alley oop, Williams smelled it out and batted the ball to Hayes. On a continuation of that same play, William continued to drive to the basket and attempted a flying dunk, but was fouled. I will say that the added athleticism, gives the entire team a different look. After missing a corner three, he came off a screen and hit a pullup 17 footer. He went to the bench with 33 seconds left in the first. He returned at around the 4 minute mark of the second, and immediately hit a pullup 18 footer. A bit later, he used a crossover to hit a 20 foot pullup. He started the second half almost exactly the way he started the game by hitting a 14 foot fade away. In one possession he went one on one with Durant on the left perimeter, and forced him into a missed shot. He went to the bench at 1:53 of the 3rd quarter, and unfortunately was done for the night. I was hoping for a return, but I assume that the team on the floor was playing so well, that Malone decided to ride them to the end. Williams came close to a B tonight, but he had zero rebounds, and that's unacceptable. On a night when we didn't have Cousins, I expected him to step up in that dept. However, once again he displayed some reasons to be excited about his possibilities for the future. --Baja

Stats: 34min 10pts (4-10, 0-0, 2-3) 10reb 2ast 0stl 2blk 2TO
Thompson ( C+ ) -- Other than the start of the 1st & 3rd quarters when Malone had Hayes in, JT played Center along-side PPat for the stretch runs of this game. He ended up with lowest double-double that you can get with 10 points and 10 rebounds, but unfortunately he only made one basket in the 4th quarter and beyond that basket none of the baskets were at critical times which didn’t make them seem as impactful. He picked up his 4th foul at the 9 minute mark of the 3rd quarter and Malone sat him for the rest of the quarter. He didn’t get back into the game until 10 minutes were left and unfortunately other than hitting that one bucket didn’t do a whole lot to help the team. He made a critical mental error by picking up a T with the Kings down by 6 with 6 minutes to go. On defense he had some good moments and some bad moments. He had nice block on Ibaka and managed to keep the ball inbounds to secure an extra possession and there were some good defensive rotations that he made which prevented the Thunder from getting the offensive looks they wanted. On the other hand and he gave the Thunder an extra possession when he needlessly pushed in the back on a rebound the Kings were clearly going to secure and he left Jeremy Lamb in transition which allowed Lamb to hit a huge 3pt shot late in the game to help the Thunder to go up by 6 again. So he did his work on the boards, got some points with-out being too inefficient, made some good plays and some bad plays, but unfortunately he’ll be remembered most for that unnecessary T I think.--Uncia

Stats: 18min 6pts (3-3, 0-0, 0-0) 9reb 0ast 2stl 0blk 0TO
Hayes ( A- ) -- was obviously the big difference maker as we jumped out to an 11-2 start in this. Did not miss a single shot during that first quarter, going 1 for 1 with his devastating little flips, and of course drawing the sort of defensive attention that gets everybody else open. Demarcus Who? I made a note that he was starting to get on the boards in the early 3rd, and then we had our hallelujah moment, when all of the power and glory that is Chuck Hayes came fully online, and for about 6 minutes he was the single best 6'6" center on the floor. He began gobbling boards, could play a 1 man zone because he didn't have to guard anyone, and just simply refused to miss from the field. Let me ask you, has DeMarcus ever shot 100% from the field? Has he? On one sequence battled for an offensive board after which he fell to the ground and called a timeout. Then out of the timeout we rewarded the hustle and ran a play, an actual offensive play designed to feature Chuck Hayes in a professional basketball game, and got him one of those patented flips again. Added a tip from about 4feet beneath the rim, which when you think about it is a really tough shot from way down there, and was a significant factor as we refused to crumble away and clawed back to take the lead back from the Thunder after it looked like we'd had our moment. It can hardly be coincidence that after Chuck left we rapidly disintegrated and our ourselves 17 down with a matter of 5-6 minutes, necessitating the late IT show. I think the only reasonable conclusion to draw from this is that the only problem for Chuck since he's been in Sacramento was role. We signed him off a season where he had been starting at center down in Houston, and clearly if we were just to start him here, we'd get our money's worth and then some. So I'm jumping on the trade Boogie for Iman Shumpert bandwagon. Or possibly Chuckwagon. --Brick

Stats: 29min 14pts (4-12, 2-6, 4-5) 3reb 3ast 1stl 0blk 1TO
McLemore ( B- ) -- McLemore had some trouble shooting the ball tonight. His first shot was the memorable one - off a steal in the passing lane he ran the full length of the court past Kevin Durant and got an easy dunk with Durant apparently so surprised by his speed that he didn't even try to contest the shot. His second shot was also in the lane, but after that his final 10 shots were all jumpers. It was on the defensive side of the court that Ben made his biggest contribution tonight. He was given the difficult task of guarding Russell Westbrook (a good - no, GREAT - move considering our PGs and their defensive woes) and he did a fabulous job, putting in easily the best defensive game of his NBA career. In the first two possessions of the game the Thunder went straight at Ben and despite Westbrook's best efforts he was stymied into two jumpshots (one hit - what are you gonna do?) Altogether, McLemore held Westbrook to 7 points in the first half. In the third quarter, the Thunder started to try some different looks at Ben. IN the first two possessions they went to a high pick-and-roll with Ibaka, but after getting nothing on either of those, they (briefly) took a page out of the Jamal Crawford playbook and attacked Ben by cutting off the ball. The result? Two possessions, two layups for Westbrook. Then they quit the only thing that was working. For the game I only saw Russell successfully drive on Ben without a screen twice, and he didn't get anything on either one. Westbrook finished with 13 points off McLemore (off 12 shots) and given that it's Westbrook, that is basically shutting him down. --Capt.

Stats: 27min 14pts (4-10, 2-2, 2-2) 1reb 7ast 0stl 0blk 1TO
Vasquez ( C+ ) -- Had one of his better stints of the season to start this one off. The ball movement was great in the first quarter and Vasquez was a big part of setting that tone. As usual ran some nice pick and rolls while more surprisingly getting into the paint and making plays against one of the leagues better defenders, although Westbrook still looks a little rusty. Defense wasn't an issue in this one as he was matched up against Sefolosha who's doesn't do much more then hang out behind the three point line and run the floor. Got thrown back in with momentum going the Thunders way and while he wasn't having the same impact he did early on was still getting guys shots. Pretty much the same deal in the second half. Was in control and finding open shooters, but for the most they weren't finishing for him. Was still getting into the paint but his was unable to finish and took some contested and probably ill advised shots down low. So in the end not a great shooting night but got us off to a great start and played a mostly mistake free game.--Henkel

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Bench

Stats: 33min 3pts (1-9, 0-2, 1-2) 10reb 3ast 0stl 1blk 1TO
Patterson ( D ) -- With JT getting into foul trouble so early in the 2nd half PPat ended up playing a lot of minutes. He did a good job on the glass grabbing 10 rebounds which is a rarity for him. Unfortunately…he really hurt the team by being unable to hit a shot. He was 1-9 from the floor and 1-2 from the free-throw line for a total of 3 points in his 33 minutes of play. Ouch. He played the entire 4th quarter and didn’t score a single point. He had a nice steal late in the game as well as a big offensive rebound which resulted in a Thornton 3 late in the game which really put the Kings in position to win. The rebounding was really nice and he made some nice plays especially a nice swing pass to Salmons in the corner at the end of the 1st quarter, but he’s got to be able to make his shots otherwise his ‘stretch-4’ play doesn’t help the team. --Uncia

Stats: 21min 24pts (9-18, 3-8, 3-3) 0reb 3ast 4stl 0blk 0TO
Thomas ( A ) -- Considering what was to come and who he was match up with Isaiah came out playing passive. Had almost nothing going towards the basket and seemed to be settling too much for the long jumper. And as IT goes so goes the bench. One of his shorter runs as Malone decided to quickly reinsert his starting back court which had played so well in the first. Decided to give the crowd their moneys worth to finish this one off. Down big and with Cousins in street clothes had all the shots he could ever hope for and took full advantage. Exploited some favorable match ups, for some reason wasn't guarded by Westbrook until the final play, getting to the basket where he's at his best. Threw in a couple clutch back to back three's for good measure as he carried us almost all the way back from a big hole. Liked Malone's decision not to call a timeout on the final play, it's going to be IT 1 on 1 anyways might as well go against an unsettled defense, and manage to get a decent shot against Westbrook that wouldn't go down. Also deserves some credit for being active on defense and his several nice set ups to a wide open Thornton. Heroic effort and pretty darn entertaining way to end a game that looked like it was headed towards a blowout. --Henkel

Stats: 26min 8pts (3-8, 2-4, 0-0) 0reb 3ast 0stl 1blk 1TO
Salmons ( C- ) -- John was just John tonight. He teased us with some clutch shots at times, but when the game was truly on the line, you forgot he was on the floor. He managed 8 points on 3 of 8 shooting and 2 for 4 from the three, and added 3 assists. But like Williams, he had zero rebounds, which means we had zero rebounds from our SF position tonight. He started off well enough by hitting a corner three. Defensively, I won't say that Salmons defense was bad, but he did have trouble staying in front of Jackson who beat him off the dribble a couple of times. On the other hand, he made a terrific defensive play when he picked up Westbrook driving the right baseline and blocked his shot. He started the second half, by driving into traffic and throwing up a wild looking shot that missed. Then a bit later, when we were struggling to stay in the game, and things seemed to be going south, John hit a clutch three to stop the bleeding. And at that point, he just disappeared. While Williams was leaning toward a B, Salmons was leaning in the opposite direction, toward a D. I hate to be too hard on Salmons. He plays hard, and is a smart player. I just think time is starting to pass him by. --Baja.

Stats: 20min 5pts (2-8, 1-5, 0-0) 5reb 3ast 1stl 1blk 1TO
Thornton ( B+ ) -- Forget the 2-8 shooting for Thornton tonight. He had a pretty blah stretch in his first stint. He did set up three open threes (all of them missed) and hit Patterson with a drop pass on a drive and kick (I say "drop" pass because I think he kind of dropped the ball and did what he could to kind of shovel it to PPat). But today it was all about the fourth quarter and our patented Come Up Short Comeback™. He was playing with intensity, and even though he only came up with 3 points on 1-4 shooting in the quarter he was contributing in other ways. His three rebounds were one contribution, but even better was his defense, particularly on Russell Westbrook. By my count Thornton picked up Russell for 9 defensive possessions in the fourth and he allowed Westbrook zero points. In fact, he allowed Westbrook one shot, and he blocked it. And to top that off, he stole the ball from Westbrook TWICE, one leading to a fast break assist to IT. If Marcus could bottle that fourth quarter and sell it, it would easily be worth four years and $31M. --Capt

Stats: 7min 0pts (0-1, 0-0, 0-0) 3reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Ndiaye ( INC ) -- well, there's really not enough here to grade, and I don't know what a Hamadi Ndiaye grading scale looks like anyway. I thought he got an early block on Durant, who got off to a terrible start, but it didn't end up getting credited. His lack of offense I think ended up getting him sent back to the bench as he passed on a couple of shots then took his best shot at cracking the backboard with a catapult jumper. Later after returning he almost had a nice assist on the move slashing down the lane, but the Thunder got called for the foul just as he dished it to Patterson. You see, OKC knows the only way to stop a Hamadi Ndiaye drive and dish is to foul desperately. --Brick

Last edited:
Anyone know where Malone stands on going for the tie vs the win on the final shot? Assuming both are decent looks / it isn't an open layup.

Hayes played better than I've seen him in a LONG time.
He looked natural out there - able to use his size and expert positioning to really contribute, against a great Thunder team.
It makes me suspicious of how bad he plays most of the time.
It's like the shackles were off of him, with DMC out against the Thunder, Chuckster knew he could play as good as he can and we likely still wouldn't get the win.

What an enjoyable game to be there for. At end of three Qs I handed it in, said to my son 'that was fun' and then the fun began in the 4th Q.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Hayes played better than I've seen him in a LONG time.
He looked natural out there - able to use his size and expert positioning to really contribute, against a great Thunder team.
It makes me suspicious of how bad he plays most of the time.
It's like the shackles were off of him, with DMC out against the Thunder, Chuckster knew he could play as good as he can and we likely still wouldn't get the win.
To be fair, Oklahoma City is one of the few teams whose center is not a threat to go off on Hayes.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Quite a great "team" game again. Same ole problem, big holes from big runs by other team. But 30+ pts in 2nd and 4th quarters is some progress holding OKC into teens scoring. Malone still experimenting with on floor lineups with bench and some pairings of Kings just aren't as good as others. But as I've said I think he and the analytics need a 4-game stretch with one particular lineup to get a handle on player combos. Not having Cuz may or may not have won the game. Ibaka drives Cuz nuts with his great defense which could irritate Cuz which, ... well, you know where I'm going.

MLM's defense is slowly improving every game as is his offense. Same for DWill. A positive loss and encouraging having last close in shot missing for tie or win.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I think what this game shows is that we have a great coach. Anytime a team can miss its biggest stud and stay competitive with a great team HAS to be credited to the coach in my book. People will point to IT as THE man but I will bet money this game would have been far closer than people expected even if IT hadn't been spectacular.

Malone seems to have gotten MT's attention. He passed the ball and got three assists. He had 5 rebounds. These may have been the kind that dropped on his head but he seemed to be more engaged in the game. It's one game but it was encouraging.

MLM has to keep shooting those threes and will soon learn to lay off the forced shots. Those are meant to be two different issues. I think the shots will start to fall. He is known as a shooter and he looks like a shooter. His defense surprised me a little bit but perhaps he is just gradually learning the NBA game. He's a keeper for sure.

Back to the main point though and that is that I think Malone is a very good coach and although very little can be done this season, there is a lot to look forward to.

If we were in the East we would be above .500. It sucks that our home stands include Clippers x2, Warriors, Thunder, Grizzlies, Blazers, Nuggets along with road games vs Clippers, Blazers, Warriors. If we were in the East a home stand could consist of Celtics, Nets, Raptors, Knicks, Cavs with road games vs Bucks, Magic, Sixers thrown in between, good lord the East is a joke.

It was looking good with a 10-12 point lead early. Thomas played well even when we weren't 10 points down. But because of lackluster nights by Thornton and Patterson we could not hold on to the lead and lost it by halftime. Too many bricks being chucked at critical points in the game. Also Williams was just about invisible for the second game in a row.

I really think McLemore is going to be good in the long run.

Thomas is just a great player to watch. Awesome 4th quarter. All for not, but it was still fun.

dude12

Hall of Famer
GV was great in the 1st Q and then ok later in the game.....IT was ok early and then great in the 4th....would have liked to see DWill more in the4th

It was looking good with a 10-12 point lead early. Thomas played well even when we weren't 10 points down. But because of lackluster nights by Thornton and Patterson we could not hold on to the lead and lost it by halftime. Too many bricks being chucked at critical points in the game. Also Williams was just about invisible for the second game in a row.

I really think McLemore is going to be good in the long run.

Thomas is just a great player to watch. Awesome 4th quarter. All for not, but it was still fun.
WHAT?! Sometimes I wonder whether some of you even watch the game at all. I mean he wasn't like taking over the game or anything but invisible? He bailed us out multiple times and was our third leading scorer behind Vasquez.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
WHAT?! Sometimes I wonder whether some of you even watch the game at all. I mean he wasn't like taking over the game or anything but invisible? He bailed us out multiple times and was our third leading scorer behind Vasquez.
I have to second your comments. I was extremely heartened by Williams' performance. His outside shot looked good! If his shot continues to improve, his acquisition is a huge steal for the Kings.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Fun, fun game. The acquisition of Williams and McLemore makes the Kings future look very promising. Both are wet behind the ears, both have a lot to learn. But there sure is a lot to work with in those two. IT getting the Malone hug at the end of the game speaks volumes. I get the feeling that when this team finally turns the corner it's going to be a vicious turn, leaving carnage in their wake.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
LOL, I have to agree with you. Sometimes I wonder just what people are watching, because its not the same game I'm watching. My only knock on Williams last night was his lack of rebounding. But other than that, he did a decent job guarding Durant, who did score, but took a lot of shots to do it. I didn't look it up, but I'd bet that most of Durant's points came against Salmons, who was giving up close to 4 inches in height to Durant.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Well, I don't know how many of Durant's free throws can be attributed to Salmons, but the "video tape" (courtesy of NBA.com) appears to indicate that four of Durant's eight field goals came against Williams, two came against Salmons, one came when Thompson got switched onto him, and one came in transition. FWIW, both the transition bucket and the switch bucket came when his "designated" defender was also Williams.

EDIT - Although, Salmons only had two personal fouls for the game, so he couldn't have accounted for that many of Durant's free throws. It does certainly appear as though Durant got most of his at Williams' expense. That said, whenever you can hold a guy like Durant to 8/21, you almost have to consider that a moral victory.

I see he scored 13 points on NBA.com. I must have missed the high points for Williams when the team was down almost 20 points. I had stopped watching because something more important came up. When I came back we where within 8. I never noticed him make any plays of note. My bad.