[Grades] Grades v. Spurs 11/16/2016

Kings Less-Than-Awesome starter of the night?

• Rudy! Rudy!

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Kosta was the Mosta

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • The Afflack duck

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Tyrrific Lawson

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

It has occurred to me that its just possible the Spurs are better than us.

At least until we mount an epic final 3 minutes fake hustle rush that we took so far that it almost wasn't fake anymore -- Cuz was fouled on a 3pt shot that rolled around and out, and would have been a 4pt play to cut the Spurs lead to 3. Pointless, but would have been amusing.

Link to Boxscore

Starters

Featured Grade
Gay ( D- ) -- So...turdburger, anyone? Rudy killed us tonight by simply never getting into his offensive game. He started out having trouble getting touches, then he badly missed several jumpers and took some questionable shots to go into halftime with an 0-5 line from the floor. There was a moment in the early third quarter when it looked like he might finally get it going - he hit a three (for his first FG) and then the next possession took Leonard to the hole for a layup. Finally, you would have been justified in thinking, we have got our second scorer going. You would have been wrong. Rudy went ice cold again, and got nothing else (outside of a pair of FTs) until hitting a meaningless three in garbage time. If there's a bright side, for the most part Rudy played some decent D. He held Kawhi in check as well as can be expected (a lot of Kawhi's points didn't come on Rudy) and he created a steal as well as picking up two nice blocks in the paint. But that just doesn't make up for us having a gaping hole where our second scorer should be. If Rudy is on his game, maybe we could have stuck around in this one. --Capt.

Cousins ( B+ ) -- had a dumb Cuz moment early in the game, when he quickly picked up 2 fouls on back to back plays and was gone by the mid 1st. But Joerger cleverly reinserted him, and from that point onward Cuz's play and demeanor were impressive, even without any help at times. Tried to inspire, and seemed into the strategy with the coaching staff, including trying to steal it at the end.

Koufos ( D ) -- missed gimme after gimme with the little hook/runner thing. Wasn't set plays, these were open looks off good passes needed to relieve pressure, and he hit none of them.

Afflalo ( C ) -- for some unknown reason came racing out of the gate firing up quick forced shots while screaming "I am AFFLALO!!" Then realized he was in fact Afflalo, and drably faded into nothing. Left on the floor longer than some starters because was at least attempting solid play on defense.

Lawson ( F ) -- weird thing with the player formerly known as Ty Lawson is that his talent seems to actually have drained away right in front of us, during the season. Tonight gave us absolutely nothing but 1 wide open three that led to nothing.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Bench

Barnes ( B+ ) -- thee was some difficulty spotting Matt in as the Spurs kept on lining up Pau across from him, and that does not work, and did not on several plays inside. But other than that, brought a burst of energy and a diminutive but feisty wingman for Cuz once the starters did not show. Were even running some 2-man stuff with he and Cuz as the offense.

Cauley-Stein ( B- ) -- still plenty of negative moments when he got stripped, or dropped a pass, or got caught standing in space on defense while the Spurs went behind him, but he was alive and active in this one, just looked young and dumb. DC especially did a nice job of setting him up for his patented Willie move -- the flying dunk down an open lane.

Collison ( B- ) -- nothing wildly impressive, except by actually being competent and not Ty Lawson, but worked well with Willie in particular, and guided a bench crew that worked much better together than the starters.

McLemore ( B ) -- had a good first half as maybe our most effective offense player. But grade held down by some just boneheaded mistakes that hurt, especially against a Spurs team that doesn't tolerate those sort of loose plays.

Temple ( B- ) -- was going along looking really solid in his minutes, staying efficient, making good passes...then suddenly unleashed back to back completely idiotic turnovers to join the rest of the bench crew (every bencher notched 2 TOs in this one)

Last edited:
Two big problems with this team: First, we are not very good. Second, we are incredibly boring to watch. This is a BAD combination for fans. I'd rather blow it up and watch kids compete to 30 wins rather than a disgruntled Cuz and Rudy "compete" with the other scubs on the team.

Barnes is WAY too much of a heady, veteran player to keep making numerous boneheaded plays every game.
Is it something in the water here?
What makes NBA players come here and immediately start playing stupid and reckless?

K

KingMilz

Barnes is WAY too much of a heady, veteran player to keep making numerous boneheaded plays every game.

What makes NBA players come here and immediately start playing stupid and reckless?
Matt Barnes has always had low IQ and made idiotic plays and had impulsive reckless aggression, the first few games he had were great but they were flukes and he's gone back to being who he was his whole career.

What are the strengths of this basketball team?
Strong vet leadership might be the only team strength.... but that doesn't always translate into Ws.

Matt Barnes has always had low IQ and made idiotic plays and had impulsive reckless aggression, the first few games he had were great but they were flukes and he's gone back to being who he was his whole career.
I think it's more of the Kings relying way too much on Barnes to be a key contributor for this team. His entire career has come depended on his hustle, grit, effort, aggression, and athleticism. That playing style does put a toll on someone's body..keep in mind, he is already 36.

When you're forcing Barnes to basically be our 3rd best player, you're not going to get great results in return. 2 years ago, he was the Clippers' 7th best player. They weren't asking Barnes to do too much outside of his 3&D role, but the Kings are asking him to do way more than that.

Barnes actually started his decline last year in Memphis

K

KingMilz

Strong vet leadership might be the only team strength.... but that doesn't always translate into Ws.

I think it's more of the Kings relying way too much on Barnes to be a key contributor for this team. His entire career has come depended on his hustle, grit, effort, aggression, and athleticism. That playing style does put a toll on someone's body..keep in mind, he is already 36.

When you're forcing Barnes to basically be our 3rd best player, you're not going to get great results in return. 2 years ago, he was the Clippers' 7th best player. They weren't asking Barnes to do too much outside of his 3&D role, but the Kings are asking him to do way more than that.

Barnes actually started his decline last year in Memphis
I completely agree but Barnes has never been known for basketball IQ (so the reckless decisions has nothing to do with Sacramento) is what I'm saying despite the fact that for 2 games with us it appeared he had "high IQ", me (and I think you as well as a number of other posters) said during that stretch where he was playing at a amazing level that we can't rely on him.

I have been trying to keep my trap shut this year. It hasn't done any good to complain. I hate to say I told you so...... But a rerun is what we are getting (unless something changes). Same talented but disgruntled stars who can't or won't finish. Same results as last year despite new coaches and new additional players. It has been a rough start for sure. The season is not over by a long shot. Lets see that culture change.....!!!!!!

I'm ready for the firesale.

Basically everything some here were predicting about this team in the offseason is coming to fruition. Joerger is a better coach than we've had in a long time and we have more vet leadership than we've had in a long time, which has lead us to be competitive just about all our games. The talent just isn't there though to close it out and we get smashed once the more talented teams buckle down and beat us.

And while I like that we're competing better, we're already 4-8 , already 2.5 games back for the 8th spot and we're only 12 games in. What's it going to be at 30 games?

Two big problems with this team: First, we are not very good. Second, we are incredibly boring to watch. This is a BAD combination for fans. I'd rather blow it up and watch kids compete to 30 wins rather than a disgruntled Cuz and Rudy "compete" with the other scubs on the team.
I'd have way more fun watching Skal, Malachi, Ben, WCS and even Papa somehow try and be an NBA team and develop at this level than watch us head for another 33 win season and the 9th pick in the draft.

I'd have way more fun watching Skal, Malachi, Ben, WCS and even Papa somehow try and be an NBA team and develop at this level than watch us head for another 33 win season and the 9th pick in the draft.
Me too. I've seen this movie before. I know the ending yawn... I'd rather watch rookies work on they're game with a new coach who has they're respect. (new coach being Jorger)

Last edited:

Bricklayer

I'm ready for the firesale.

Basically everything some here were predicting about this team in the offseason is coming to fruition. Joerger is a better coach than we've had in a long time and we have more vet leadership than we've had in a long time, which has lead us to be competitive just about all our games. The talent just isn't there though to close it out and we get smashed once the more talented teams buckle down and beat us.

And while I like that we're competing better, we're already 4-8 , already 2.5 games back for the 8th spot and we're only 12 games in. What's it going to be at 30 games?
potentially tied?

I am not sure I have ever seen the argument advanced before that hey, its early, so its over.

Bricklayer

I have been trying to keep my trap shut this year. It hasn't done any good to complain. I hate to say I told you so...... But a rerun is what we are getting (unless something changes). Same talented but disgruntled stars who can't or won't finish. Same results as last year despite new coaches and new additional players. It has been a rough start for sure. The season is not over by a long shot. Lets see that culture change.....!!!!!!
Part of the culture change is that there ARE no disgruntled stars right now. There are disgruntled fans projecting.

Someone up above asked what the team's strengths are, well I can tell you what they are MEANT to be:

-- inside scoring
-- gritty defense
-- veteran steadiness
-- competitiveness

Now of those 3 of the 4 have been spotted fairly consistently, including the veteran steadiness and competitiveness. Its the single best thing the team has done so far. Outside of the Milwaulkee game, which was straight #KANGZ, this team has not given up yet this season. Even when outmatched it never turns into a debacle. The other team starts to open the lead, and we punch back with a little flurry to keep within shouting distance. There isn't panic, and there isn't quit.

Once again the panic and quit are being imported by the viewers.

P.S. the big thing that has not consistently appeared is the gritty defense. That's the big key to making a setup like the one we have work. Gotta defend. We have enough individual defenders to do it, but we've only seen spurts. Its got to be driving Joerger crazy.

Even by terms of Kings fans doom and gloom, this year's "BURN IT DOWN" talk has come early. It's not even Thanksgiving yet
True but understandable. Fans are well aware of the short term nature of this team with Rudy's, Dc's contract running out and the Cousins deadline coming closer and closer. So of course there is the impression, that we are running out of time and should better start winning yesterday, if we want the slightest chance to keep this core. And even if some fans want to move on from Rudy or DC or Cousins we are already under pressure as an organisation with the last chance to cache in on Rudy or DC coming at the deadline.
So "burn it down" talk might be a bit premature early in the season, but it's completely understandable and the flaws of this team are in fact already visible.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
True but understandable. Fans are well aware of the short term nature of this team with Rudy's, Dc's contract running out and the Cousins deadline coming closer and closer. So of course there is the impression, that we are running out of time and should better start winning yesterday, if we want the slightest chance to keep this core. And even if some fans want to move on from Rudy or DC or Cousins we are already under pressure as an organisation with the last chance to cache in on Rudy or DC coming at the deadline.
So "burn it down" talk might be a bit premature early in the season, but it's completely understandable and the flaws of this team are in fact already visible.
But the thing is that the deadline isn't going to come any sooner because we suck more. Having a record of 4-12 or whatever doesn't mean that the Kings suddenly have to make all their trades by Christmas.

I'm not saying that the "Let's move on crowd" is even wrong. It's that we're judging a team with a new coach and system and half a roster on the roughest stretch of their season.

It's like judging last season's Golden State Warriors team exclusively on their play in the 4th quarter of game seven of the NBA finals. (Okay, thats probably not the best example solely because their season WAS championship or bust)

Part of the culture change is that there ARE no disgruntled stars right now. There are disgruntled fans projecting.

Someone up above asked what the team's strengths are, well I can tell you what they are MEANT to be:

-- inside scoring
-- gritty defense
-- veteran steadiness
-- competitiveness

Now of those 3 of the 4 have been spotted fairly consistently, including the veteran steadiness and competitiveness. Its the single best thing the team has done so far. Outside of the Milwaulkee game, which was straight #KANGZ, this team has not given up yet this season. Even when outmatched it never turns into a debacle. The other team starts to open the lead, and we punch back with a little flurry to keep within shouting distance. There isn't panic, and there isn't quit.

P.S. the big thing that has not consistently appeared is the gritty defense. That's the big key to making a setup like the one we have work. Gotta defend. We have enough individual defenders to do it, but we've only seen spurts. Its got to be driving Joerger crazy.
Have you looked at their record lately? More losses than wins.

uhhhhhhhhhhh.... this sure sounds like there is a battle inside the team (likely between Joerger and Cuz) for how much pace there should be, and how much serious commitment to physicality.
http://www.abc10.com/sports/nba/sac...hness-takes-blame-for-loss-to-spurs/353314788

Joerger blamed the team for coming out weak and slow and off-aim after 5 days off, and he let them ease up in shootaround.
He intimated he won;t allow that again, which may lead to some intriguing skirmishes upcoming if/when the team dogs it with bad effort again (as they have a habit to do). :(

But the thing is that the deadline isn't going to come any sooner because we suck more. Having a record of 4-12 or whatever doesn't mean that the Kings suddenly have to make all their trades by Christmas.

I'm not saying that the "Let's move on crowd" is even wrong. It's that we're judging a team with a new coach and system and half a roster on the roughest stretch of their season.

It's like judging last season's Golden State Warriors team exclusively on their play in the 4th quarter of game seven of the NBA finals. (Okay, thats probably not the best example solely because their season WAS championship or bust)
Personally, im talking about the past decade of being perpetually mediocre, not just this season. We've been treading water. That's it. This season is no different.
In order to get better, the Kings are going to have to really suck. Top 1 or 2 pick suck. Only way to get there is to get rid of DMC. If we're going to get rid of DMC we need to call it what that is, a complete rebuild. None of this half a$$ junk. And if we're going to get rid of DMC we better well have a GM that can distinguish talent. Personally I don't think vlade is that guy.

uhhhhhhhhhhh.... this sure sounds like there is a battle inside the team (likely between Joerger and Cuz) for how much pace there should be, and how much serious commitment to physicality.
http://www.abc10.com/sports/nba/sac...hness-takes-blame-for-loss-to-spurs/353314788

Joerger blamed the team for coming out weak and slow and off-aim after 5 days off, and he let them ease up in shootaround.
He intimated he won;t allow that again, which may lead to some intriguing skirmishes upcoming if/when the team dogs it with bad effort again (as they have a habit to do). :(
I didn't interpret the same way you did.

Sounds like Joeger is not happy with the way our starting 5 came out though. Thought everyone did a bad defensive job.

-- inside scoring
-- gritty defense
-- veteran steadiness
-- competitiveness

We're 29th defensively in the league right now. I think at best this team could get to 23 by end of season. Thats mediocrity at its finest considering on offense we are middle of the pack. At least last season our offense was top five I believe.

Bricklayer

Talk about reading something in.

First listen to Joerger's comments, then listen to Cousins' comments, and you tell me where the conflict is. They essentially agreed.

P.S. Joerger is a very smart guy. Listen to his comments on Lawson and he is spot on. Its one of the reasons that sooner or later he'll get this thing spun around. He's smart and strong-willed and knows what he wants to see.