• Complete no shows by half the roster

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Coaching

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think most of us agree that this last game was ref'd very badly. Because of my 12 years of officiating (baseball) I usually defend officials to whatever degree I can. They all make mistakes. I believe I saw somewhere that even the best of NBA officials are right about 91% of the time. It's a tough game to officiate.

But .... this last game was atrocious. I wish there was a video of the calls on Cousins. I think Chubbs asked if anyone had one. My first reaction was that I must have missed something until I saw replays. He was shoved down with two hands and the foul was called on him. He was chip blocked (a nice football tactic) and knocked over and was called for a foul. And there was another I don't remember exactly. I think there is an assumption that if Boogie is involved, it must be his fault. I wish that same logic went to a few Clippers. The refs have to get over this if this is their mind set. I think the Kings organization has to make some noise at NBA headquarters. Boogie can't speak to defend himself. He doesn't dare.

Perhaps Gray has to send a message. I honestly don't know what to do but will be watching tonight's game with interest.

And for those of you who count fouls as if that tells you anything, forget it. Some teams are more aggressive than others. Some reach in more than others. There are an amazing number of factors to determine which team gets the most fouls. The team with the most fouls is NOT necessarily getting picked on. The team with the least fouls is NOT necessarily getting favoritism. There may be exceptions but as a general rule, foul numbers mean very little if taken totally out of contest.

I feel a little sorry for Boogie as if he needs that from me. Part of his advantage as an NBA player is that he can man handle the man defending him and with that approach, encouraged by Shaq, no doubt, he will continue at his amazing run of effectiveness. Let us not have NBA officials take away his natural advantage.

As Wilt Chamberlain said, "No one roots for Goliath." No kidding except in this case, I will root for Goliath.
My hope is that the Kings will send a copy of the game to league officials for review. As to how many fouls are called on each team, what matters most is on who were the fouls called. In our case, the calls were affecting Cousins, and he's only our best player. Also, most of the calls on the 76'ers were pretty legit calls. It appeared that their game plan was to just be as aggressive as possible and not worry about the calls. And they got a way with a lot of stuff. IT got mugged several times, and Jimmer was all but beheaded on that one play, but no call. Some of our legal picks were called fouls, and only one in my opinion was questionable, and that was the one Cousins got called for, and it easily could have been a non call, considering some of the picks they were getting away with. I don't complain about officiating much, but that was just terrible. And I'm not implying that we would have won the game if different, but it would have helped.

My hope is that the Kings will send a copy of the game to league officials for review. As to how many fouls are called on each team, what matters most is on who were the fouls called. In our case, the calls were affecting Cousins, and he's only our best player. Also, most of the calls on the 76'ers were pretty legit calls. It appeared that their game plan was to just be as aggressive as possible and not worry about the calls. And they got a way with a lot of stuff. IT got mugged several times, and Jimmer was all but beheaded on that one play, but no call. Some of our legal picks were called fouls, and only one in my opinion was questionable, and that was the one Cousins got called for, and it easily could have been a non call, considering some of the picks they were getting away with. I don't complain about officiating much, but that was just terrible. And I'm not implying that we would have won the game if different, but it would have helped.
League isn't gonna care unless it comes from Miami, Los Angeles , or New York. Let's not act like we don't know this

As another fan of Jimmer I'm asking you to take the Jimmer goggles off... he played well I agree! His confidence seems to be rising and that can only lead to good things. His D was not to good at times. You must take the good with the bad and he did both last night.
Treach 1976 summed up everything else perfectly.
I thought the analysis of Jimmer was pretty dang awful myself. He was a + 3 while on the floor for 5 minutes in the first half and while his man did attack the rim he wasn't all that successful doing it. He also made plays after IT came back in that don't show up in the box score. He had a really good box out that allowed some one else that chance to get a rebound and play really good D. He got absolutely hammered on one of his 3 point attempts when he ball faked and the guy landed on him and he got hit on the arm while he was shooting the time before.

Jimmer wasn't absolutely perfect but He and Cousins were the only 2 player to finish with a positive +/-. Cousins was +7 and Jimmer +9.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I thought the analysis of Jimmer was pretty dang awful myself. He was a + 3 while on the floor for 5 minutes in the first half and while his man did attack the rim he wasn't all that successful doing it. He also made plays after IT came back in that don't show up in the box score. He had a really good box out that allowed some one else that chance to get a rebound and play really good D. He got absolutely hammered on one of his 3 point attempts when he ball faked and the guy landed on him and he got hit on the arm while he was shooting the time before.

Jimmer wasn't absolutely perfect but He and Cousins were the only 2 player to finish with a positive +/-. Cousins was +7 and Jimmer +9.
I thought the grade for Jimmer was very friendly. Great stretch making those baskets inthe 2 nd half, he was brutal defensively in the first half. Wroten went by him like wasn't there.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
League isn't gonna care unless it comes from Miami, Los Angeles , or New York. Let's not act like we don't know this
First of all, I'm not acting about anything, and yes, the league does care if brought to their attention. That's how you get technical's reversed, which has already happened with Cousins this year. Referees are brought onto the carpet, and penalized for bad games. If nothing else, perhaps it will temper their calls the next time they ref the Kings.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I thought the grade for Jimmer was very friendly. Great stretch making those baskets inthe 2 nd half, he was brutal defensively in the first half. Wroten went by him like wasn't there.
I'd like to point out that Wroten went by everyone that tried to guard him. He played no favorites.

It is odd that Jimmer and IT get the same grade and no one thinks it is weird. There is no basketball reason as to why that would be. Jimmer outplayed IT and outplayed him pretty easily both on offense and defense. Jimmer shot better, defended better and the team was much better with Jimmer on the floor.

My theory holds up....

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
How many times did Wroten score on those drives?
In the second quarter, the answer is twice, plus an additional offensive rebound where he didn't box out and Wroten got the board and came down the lane for the dunk - 6 points. In my notes I only have Jimmer responsible for allowing two points (Carter-Williams) in the fourth.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
I believe that those points were all mentioned in the write-up. Jimmer effectively had three stretches: Terrible, Great, and Invisible. His grade was averaged across them and given a bit of a boost because his Great stretch was both memorable and gave us a shot to get back into the game.

In the second quarter, the answer is twice, plus an additional offensive rebound where he didn't box out and Wroten got the board and came down the lane for the dunk - 6 points. In my notes I only have Jimmer responsible for allowing two points (Carter-Williams) in the fourth.
and how many times did Wroten go right at him? I think it was either 5 or 6. It just wasn't that bad. It couldn't have been because he was +3 in the first half.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
It is odd that Jimmer and IT get the same grade and no one thinks it is weird. There is no basketball reason as to why that would be.
There is no basketball reason for grades. They are subjective. The subjective reasons for both Jimmer and IT's grades were listed in full paragraphs of detail.

Jimmer outplayed IT and outplayed him pretty easily both on offense and defense. Jimmer shot better
I agree that Jimmer shot better. I don't think he outplayed IT. He had a miserable time bringing the ball up the floor and in all of his minutes he managed to set up one teammate for a shot. One.

defended better
I disagree. Jimmer played horrific defense in the second quarter, allowing Wroten to get anywhere he wanted. He did make a few nice stops and played solid D for the first half of the fourth. For the second half of the fourth, he was mostly uninvolved on defense. Thomas' defense was much better than alleged in the game thread - I watched it very closely.

and the team was much better with Jimmer on the floor.
By +/-, perhaps. But outside of his short hot streak, Jimmer didn't actually help the team.

My theory holds up....
I'm not sure what your specific theory is, but if it involves me being biased, it's a poor theory and should be re-thought.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
and how many times did Wroten go right at him? I think it was either 5 or 6. It just wasn't that bad. It couldn't have been because he was +3 in the first half.
In the second quarter Wroten drove on Jimmer four times, got clear for a perimeter shot once, and got the offensive rebound I mentioned - six shots, none well-contested, in under five minutes. I think that does qualify as "that bad".

In the second quarter Wroten drove on Jimmer four times, got clear for a perimeter shot once, and got the offensive rebound I mentioned - six shots, none well-contested, in under five minutes. I think that does qualify as "that bad".
So how many shots is that and how many baskets? 6 shots, 3 makes including an offensive rebound. That just isn't that bad of defense. It is giving up 50% shooting but the the Sixers shot 47% for the entire game. It isn't like it was so, so terrible that he shouldn't have been on the floor. The amount of shoots doesn't matter. What Matter is that he only shot 50% including an offensive rebound. That isn't good but it isn't the worst defense ever and was by far his worst stretch in his 17 minutes.

There is no basketball reason for grades. They are subjective. The subjective reasons for both Jimmer and IT's grades were listed in full paragraphs of detail.

I dont' mean to attack you specifically. Grading would be a huge undertaking for the purpose of my entertainment and I appreciate your efforts as well as the efforts of the other graders.

I agree that Jimmer shot better. I don't think he outplayed IT. He had a miserable time bringing the ball up the floor and in all of his minutes he managed to set up one teammate for a shot. One.

Jimmer was +9 IT was -17 and took 18 shots. Jimmer didn't have any assists but did grab 4 boards. He also gave the ball to Cousins. Having a miserable time bringing the ball up the floor doesn't mean anything, nothing at all. It doens't translate to points for either team. It is purely aesthetic and my opinion, shouldn't be graded.

I disagree. Jimmer played horrific defense in the second quarter, allowing Wroten to get anywhere he wanted. He did make a few nice stops and played solid D for the first half of the fourth. For the second half of the fourth, he was mostly uninvolved on defense. Thomas' defense was much better than alleged in the game thread - I watched it very closely.

Jimmers horrific defense still had him at +3 when he was on the floor. He mostly just gave the ball to Cousins on offense as the point guard should do.

By +/-, perhaps. But outside of his short hot streak, Jimmer didn't actually help the team.
Yeah 15 points in 17 minutes doesn't help the team win......

I'm not sure what your specific theory is, but if it involves me being biased, it's a poor theory and should be re-thought.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
So how many shots is that and how many baskets? 6 shots, 3 makes including an offensive rebound. That just isn't that bad of defense. It is giving up 50% shooting but the the Sixers shot 47% for the entire game. It isn't like it was so, so terrible that he shouldn't have been on the floor. The amount of shoots doesn't matter. What Matter is that he only shot 50% including an offensive rebound. That isn't good but it isn't the worst defense ever and was by far his worst stretch in his 17 minutes.
You seriously have your panties in a knot over Capt saying Jimmer's defense qualifies as bad due to giving up 3-6 shooting and an ORB in only 5 mins? It was bad. Who really cares to what extent of "bad" it was? I can't believe some of you Jimmer fans are in such an all out defense mode you feel the need to make this big of a deal over 5 mins of ball.

BTW, don't create strawmen. Capt didn't say he was "so, so terrible he shouldn't have been on the floor" or that it was "the worst defense ever". These strawmen exaggerations are popular by the Jimmer fanboy club but serve little to no purpose in the context of an actual conversation.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I disagree. i think the league will care, because the Kings are a focus right now with the new ownership, new arena on the horizon, the incredible feat of keeping the team, AND the obvious development of DFC as a dominant force in the game. Add in Chris Granger's presence in our ranks, and you've got at least enough pull to warrant the league paying attention.