[Grades] Grades v. Sixers 11/9/17

Discussion in 'Kings Rap' started by Tetsujin, Nov 9, 2017.

?

Rookie of the Year

1. De’Aaron Fox

45.6%
  2. Ben Simmons

38.6%
  3. Lonzo Ball

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Blue Diamond Almonds

15.8%
  1. sactowndog

sactowndog Member

I would be curious if anyone has it what are the team assist numbers when Hill and/or Bogs are on the floor. My unsubstantiated gut feel is the ball moves better particularly with Bogs but would love to see the data.
  2. KingsSelecao

KingsSelecao Active Member

Debatable whether Fox is better than either. Numbers don't show that. Mitchell was a very late round pick and puts up comparable stats to Fox. Fox was picked where? Smith is also comparable across the board.
  3. sactowndog

sactowndog Member

Well Fox was playing a bit of Hero ball at the end and it worked.
  4. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Well-Known Member

ROY''s make great gifts for mom but I'm more interested in Fox looking like a total gamer. He's tons of fun to watch right now along with Justin.
  5. JCTNKINGFAN

JCTNKINGFAN Member

Once again, good job on the grades. I would probably have given Jackson an A and unfortunately, Skal, no higher than a D. I have been preaching long term patience with this team rather than worrying about wins in the short term. But, I'll have to say their rapid turn around in improved play the last 2 games has certainly pleasantly surprised me after the crappy, but not unexpected, play in the previous games. The win was entertaining and certainly enjoyable.

Everybody, including myself, is on a high right now, but don't be surprised when the crappy play returns. It's part of the "process" and growth. Young inexperienced players will be wildly inconsistent, whether rookies or inexperienced 2nd and 3rd year players. Message boards are so bipolar. After a series of losses they are down on certain players (if not the whole team), questioning their character and want to give up and quit on them. After a couple of wins, they start talking playoffs and even finals.

I suggest, that for sanity's sake, everyone keep a balanced and long term view of this team, because I suspect that for the foreseeable future, the crappy games will heavily outweigh the good games and wins. I would love to be proven wrong, and Joerger prove to be some kind of Zen Master genius who is able to get this team to make the massive jump to respectability in just a few weeks, but I don't expect it. Just look for growth and improvement as the season progresses. Hopefully, the ratio of crappy games to good games will get better as the season progresses.
  6. Russell Pimphustler

Russell Pimphustler Active Member

You know who else was a 19 uear old rookie and tried to play hero ball but it didn't work? Kobe
  7. Russell Pimphustler

Mitchell was a late lottery pick, not a late round pick. Semantics I know but.
    VF21 likes this.
  8. Russell Pimphustler

Mediocre distributors don' lead their team in assists as a 19 year old coming off the bench.

I'll add to that. He is also shooting a higher percentage than George Hill who is known as a good shooter. And he is only 19 and comes in as a "poor" shooter and is getting used to NBA defenses.

Lonzo Ball is a poor shooter. For reference. Bradley Beal in his rookie season is a great reference for a great shooter who came in the league and struggled adjusting.

http://m.espn.com/nba/playerseasonstats?season=2013&playerId=6580&teamId=27
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  9. LoungeLizard

LoungeLizard Well-Known Member

Um, yeah. I’ll actually post the stats for you. There is really only 1 guy on that list that is “above the curve” and he was a consensus #1 pick who redshirted his first year. These are Per 36min stats to normalize playing time

Kuzma - 17.7pts 1.6 ast 7.8reb 52% fg
    Mitchell- 18.5pts 3.2ast 3.4reb 34%fg
    Markkanen- 17.4pts 1.4ast 9.1reb 43%fg
    Tatum- 16.3pts 2.2ast 7.3reb 50%fg
    Simmons- 18.6pts 8.1ast 9.8reb 50%fg
    Smith Jr- 18.1pts 6.2ast 4.6reb 40%fg

Fox- 16.4pts 7.3ast 4.7reb 40%fg

Homework and stats actually show Fox pretty comparable to all those guys minus Simmons. I’d like to see a more efficient FG% but I believe that will come. There are a lot of good rookies in this years draft class, im pretty confident saying in 5 years Fox will be among the best of them, maybe not THE best but among the best of them.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    Tetsujin and VF21 like this.
  10. sactowndog

sactowndog Member

Interesting stat

Only 13 rotation players cracked the 19 barrier last season: Kawhi Leonard, Stephen Curry, Russell Westbrook, Isaiah Thomas, Anthony Davis, DeMarcus Cousins, Damian Lillard, DeMar DeRozan, Kyrie Irving, Kemba Walker, Carmelo Anthony, Dwyane Wade (do you, Dwyane!) and Zach Randolph (guh).

I find it interesting both Bogdan, Buddy and JJ have played better with the second team. I think all three play better with a passing and cutting type of game that doesn’t happen when ZBo is on the floor but emerges when he is off.
  11. Gliesian

Gliesian Well-Known Member

Great designed play by Joerger! We haven't had a X's and O's guy like him since Adleman. His plays are just as entertaining to me as watching the rooks :)
  12. Sac.1989

Sac.1989 Well-Known Member

Skal and Buddy will come around and be more consistent but our two rookies Jackson and Fox - thats a straight up hell yeah. Add Z-bo and that summer we had is legit.

Jackson to play SF all season and make that position his. Growing pains etc is fine. He is our long term SF. Take the keys and run son
  13. KingsSelecao

Per 36 will not win you anything. In addition, Fox was drafted higher than all but, Simmons. I am going by raw/real time numbers. I am not saying Fox won't be good. I am just saying he will not win ROY. If we rely on advanced stats Per 36 as a metric, it's flawed and speculative.
  14. ESP47

ESP47 Well-Known Member

Recap of ESPN's Sixers/Kings highlights:

"OMG IT'S THE YOUNG AND TALENTED SIXERS TAKING ON THE STRUGGLING KINGS!! SIMMONS...HOLY COW! EMBIID WITH THE DOMINATION! SARIC, CAN YOU BELIEVE IT??? EMIID AGAIN! SIMMONS AGAIN! EXPLOSIVE, YOUNG, TALENTED TEAM!!! Aaron Fox with the game winning shot. CAN YOU BELIEVE HOW TALENTED THESE SIXERS ARE? WATCH OUT EAST WHEN THEY PUT IT ALL TOGETHER!!!"
  15. King Baller

King Baller Well-Known Member

How many games have they played?

As far as Ben Simmons and just judging from last night he looks like a taller Harden. Which is pretty good but let's see how it plays in the second season.
  16. Section 101

Section 101 Well-Known Member

Mitchell went 13th. that's a lotto pick.
  17. Section 101

Section 101 Well-Known Member

Ya I was watching the TNT recap and was like you would have thought the 76ers won.
  18. Joshoua

Joshoua Well-Known Member

You do know the ROY trophy has been shipped to Philadelphia already right
    gunks and ESP47 like this.
  19. pshn80

pshn80 Well-Known Member

Grades: the team played a good game, even improved over the previous game. It was an exciting game from start to finish. Our guys played well, made mistakes but the good play won it for us. Good balance between offense and defense. Really enjoyed it. The drip-drip improvement continues. We couldn’t have won without Hill, Temple, Koufos and Zbo.
    sactowndog likes this.
  20. dude12

dude12 Well-Known Member

Why let facts get in the way?
    LoungeLizard likes this.
  21. Siranthony

Siranthony Well-Known Member

Best plus minus Koufos +2, Hield +4, Fox +5, Jackson +5. Richardson was +7 but did not play very long. Coincidence? I think not. That being said... What I love about this team (at home) is the fight, will to win and team Basketball they play. Last night was so much fun to watch.
    Russell Pimphustler likes this.
  22. bajaden

bajaden Well-Known Member

How about, we won as a team. A lot of players contributed. If Willie doesn't block that shot at the end, we probably don't win. If Fox misses that jumper, we don't win. That's not to diminish what Zach did. But all those things wee equally important. Spread the wealth is my motto. This is about team play, and team play won the game.
  23. bajaden

I just hate it when I have to agree with you! Spot on!:rolleyes:
    Kingster likes this.
  24. bajaden

Why don't you go troll somewhere else. By the way, you just went on my ignore list.
    CVKingsfan, New Era and John Galt like this.
  25. John Galt

John Galt Well-Known Member

yeah I don't really understand the guidelines for the board. this guy seems like a pure antagonist - do not understand the purpose to hang on a board when you pretty much bash everything, always, no matter what...
    jcassio likes this.
  26. KingsSelecao

I assume you have read every single one of my posts. If so, I am glad we agree to disagree. I was on Kings Forum for over 10 years. I also have been posting on Sactown Royalty for the same amount of time. They don't seem to have issue with any of my posts. Negative or Positive.
  27. VF21

VF21 #KingsFansForever Staff Member Contributor

MOD NOTE: If you have a complaint about a poster, use the "report" feature. Thanks.
    Tetsujin likes this.
  28. KingsSelecao

Guideline are to speak your mind. Without insulting other members or using foul language. I have a right to give my opinion, If you don't like it, that's ok. I don't post here to have a popular consensus vote. I am way too old and my time is way too precious to troll.
  29. VF21

VF21 #KingsFansForever Staff Member Contributor

What happens on StR or any other Kings board bears no resemblance to what may or may not happen here.

I've read every single one of your posts. Overall, while I do not think you've crossed over the Troll city limits, you do tend to be more negative than positive about the Kings.

BTW? I'm still waiting for you to rescind your comment in response to my initial post in the game thread for the Sixers game. Looks like you were wrong. :p
    CVKingsfan, Tetsujin and dude12 like this.
  30. ppine

ppine Well-Known Member

I pretty much agree with the grades for individuals. Koufus made a huge difference last night. He plays up to his potential a lot of the time and is a very hard-nosed player. I loved Jackson's game. Willie is playing much better but still rebounds like he is wearing a tuxedo. Randolph still plays the game like he is on the playground. I love watching him play. Bogdon seems to get out quicked by some really athletic players but he makes good decisions.

The Kings confidence switch got flipped after the first quarter against OKC. I hope they will never be the same. They are hitting shots, playing pretty good defense, and getting up and down. Rebounding can still be weak at times. They were outrebounded by a lot last night but made up for it with few turnovers. This is something new for the Kings, good ball handling. Plenty of assists. Their foul shot percentage is crummy. Rebounds need to go up, otherwise Koufus is going to start.

The Kings are almost doing the Carolina blue team platoon system. They use a lot of players and keep fresh horses. I hope there is some room for Frank Mason. Most of the Kings players are getting 20 something minutes. That is a good long term strategy to get everyone involved in a grind it out 80 game season especially with some older guys. There is little difference in talent with the Kings starters and bench players. The bench can score 50 points because there is a drop off in talent on the other teams.

Going forward, the new system is starting to work. I think Willie and Skal have a lot to do with how many games the Kings are going to win. Hill needs to start to play offense. Having Hield come of the bench works for him. When he comes in with Fox it is easy to get excited about this team. It is the starting guards that are not so exciting. This is a great week to be a Kings fan.
    CVKingsfan and VF21 like this.