[Grades] Grades v. Rockets 1/31/17

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

So we'll do some girls as we bookended a series of strong competitive games against the East with two stinkers against Western playoff teams.

In addition, in a moment of supreme snark (you can see how his snark has kicked into complete overload every since his moment of glory/consortium high muckety muck dictatorhood a few weeks ago) Capt. Factorial decided that if the players were going to play like kindergartners he was going to grade them like kindergartners, and provided these assessments:
Cousins: Resolves Conflicts Appropriately - Excellent
Koufos: Does His/Her Best Work - Very Good
Collison: Accepts Responsibility For Own Behavior - Satisfactory
Afflalo: Obeys School and Classroom Rules - Good
Temple: Takes Responsibility for Self, Materials, and Belongings - Poor
Labissiere: Spells First and Last Name - Needs Improvement
Tolliver: Counts to Ten Without Using Fingers - Excellent
Barnes: Plays and Works Well With Others - Very Good
Cauley-Stein: Demonstrates Self-Control and Respect for Others - Good
Lawson: Follows Tasks to Completion - Needs Improvement
McLemore: Shares and Takes Turns Appropriately - Satisfactory
Richardson: Works Independently on Assigned Tasks - Satisfactory

Link to Boxscore

Afflalo ( C- ) -- one of the few guys who showed much life in his legs, but it didn't matter because his shot was off and he doesn't provide much else.

Danielle Chuchran

Cousins ( D ) -- did not have it almost from the beginning in what was mostly a fugly throwback tired-Cuz game with all the tired Cuz body language. Still legged and unwilling on defense tonight. Gets his D instead of the F for a) being the best passer on the team tonight and still finding guys for some of our few good hoops in the first 3 quarters, and b) never entirely giving up, still chugging and forcing some production on the dead legs. More responsibility to his guys.

Alicia Machado

Koufos ( B+ ) -- another inappropriate opponent for Koufos, but in his limited minutes actually was maybe the most effective King offensively just by waiting around the basket for passes or finishes.

Indiana Evans

Temple ( INC ) -- was contesting Harden a bit, although once he left others did about as well, and then in the early third stole the ball from Harden and before completing the steal suddenly went down like he was shot clutching his hamstring. Wuh-woh. Able to wlkt to the locker room with a strain, now we just see how long it lingers.

Traci Bingham

Collison ( D- ) -- had nothing. Just a long series of missed midrange pullup jumpers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Barnes ( C+ ) -- despite getting boarded over by Ryan bleeping Anderson, still gave more right on the boards than any other King, and was a vet in there with kids and trying to be pass happy. Maybe too pass happy as always as on one possession he passed it to Willie no fewer than 4 times, virtually forcing him to take a tough shot and miss he didn't want.

Tolliver ( D+ ) -- almost all of the scoring occurred in the late garbagetime for Anthony, who looked dead and inaccurate as all the rest while the game was on.

Lawson ( D ) -- maybe even lower. Did not have it today, and could not convince our dead guys to score at all. In his first stint the team went the first 5 minutes of the 2nd quarter scoring a grand total of 2 points, on Malachi's only score of the first half. Beverley swatted him from behind, and just a forgettable night.

Richardson ( C- ) -- a few sophisticated moves, but this was the first time when Malachi played like a rook, played outside of himself, made mistakes and looked occasionally uncomfortable. And that was even before garbagetime. Picked up a couple of offensive fouls on clear charges trying to do too much.

Cauley Stein ( B- ) -- like several members of our supporting cast and kiddie crew, in the real game found the stalwarts weren't getting it done, and ended up getting fed far too many passes asking him to be Cuz. did make one nice post move, but made more bad attempts outside his skill range. Better on both ends in the garbage minutes as he started protecting the rim and running.

McLemore ( C ) -- got in for the first time in weeks in the 4th. Hit one baseline jumper, otherwise normal lack of production EXCEPT that Ben, at the ripe old age of 23, was out there playing the vet passing the ball to the even-more kids, and notched 4 assists in the quarter.

Labissiere ( INC ) -- played long enough to get a grade, but looked like a lost kid out there on both ends for the 6 minutes of action, before out of a timeout Joerger finally forced the ball to him with 2 minutes to get him involved.

Last edited:
It wasnt going to make a difference tonight but continously starting Cousins/Koufos against stretch 4's is getting old. Cousins is getting exposed defensively, he should not be out 28 ft from the rim contesting long threes.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
It wasnt going to make a difference tonight but continously starting Cousins/Koufos against stretch 4's is getting old. Cousins is getting exposed defensively, he should not be out 28 ft from the rim contesting long threes.
Hence my moderate enthusiasm for the Ibaka idea. Because otherwise Tolliver isn't a starting quality guy and Matt and Omri are SFs.

The irony right now is that Willie doing well at the backup center is probably again forcing Koufos forward in the rotation.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Willie's per36 numbers over the past 8 games now:

63% TS% / 60% FG% / 72% FT% / 18.4 PPG / 8.6 RPG / 1.3 APG / 1.3 SPG / 1.8 BPG / 1.3 TOPG / 3.3 FPG

Keep it going young fella!
Impressive. I like the 72% FT stat. It seems to be difficult for big guys to master the free throw and it predicts what might be coming in the future as to his jump shot. He should be able to hit shots from 15 ft in. He just needs to get set and not rush himself. He should not be criticized for taking a jump shot. He may end up being more of an offensive player than any of us predicted. Just keep working on the defense, though. Oh, I am not saying he will be a Boogie. :)

Just checking in... do we all still think Eric Gordon is garbage? :) He might actually win 6th man of the year. Also, he's making less money than Afflalo this season. Yup. Excuse me while I go throw up.
I continually brought him up before the FA as an injury-prone guy, who is no longer injury-prone. Rockets made a great bet on that.

K

KingMilz

Willie's per36 numbers over the past 8 games now:

63% TS% / 60% FG% / 72% FT% / 18.4 PPG / 8.6 RPG / 1.3 APG / 1.3 SPG / 1.8 BPG / 1.3 TOPG / 3.3 FPG

Keep it going young fella!
Quincy Acy per 36 numbers with the Nets 10 games
21ppg/ 8rpg/ 87% FT/ 65% 3pt (1.7 attempts per game)/ 57% FG/ 1.5BPG

Quincy Acy per 36 numbers wi
th the Nets 10 games
21ppg/ 8rpg/ 87% FT/ 65% 3pt (1.7 attempts per game)/ 57% FG/ 1.5BPG
I think you're looking for this forum: http://kingsfans.com/forums/nba.3/

But I will say this, Cauley-Stein is putting up those numbers while playing 50% more minutes per game. He's also averaging more rebounds, assists, steals, & blocks and less turnovers & fouls per36.

You also can't expect Acy's 3pt shooting to remain that high. That's more indicative of a hot streak rather than what's to come. If he returned to his career average from three (36%), he'd be averaging 16.6 PPG & a 59% TS% which are both less than what Willie is recently averaging.

Last edited: