[Grades] Grades v. Raptors

How long does the streak go? Upcoming games: @CLE, @IND, GSW, DAL, @UTH, PHX, @CHI, @MIL

Votes: 9 14.8%

Votes: 1 1.6%

Votes: 7 11.5%

Votes: 2 3.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • It never ends

Votes: 35 57.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Gee this is fun.

In case you are wondering, Kings record for longest losing streak this millenium? 9 games. Game 8 for us is coming up in Cleveland. Absolutely 100% no way this should be happening this season, in Boogie's 5th year. None.

Oh, and here's a shocker for you: we got blitzed on defense again. From 3ptland in the third quarter even. Maybe the worst part is that coming off the unexpected 4 day break Boogie had started this one off extremely energetic defensively and looking like he wanted to turn back the clock on our season. Two quarters later he was frustrated and sitting with 4 fouls, and we let another team drop 39 on us in a quarter. The pace was good though.

Boxscore

Stats: 32min 22pts (8-17, 2-5, 4-5) 3reb 3ast 0stl 0blk 2TO
Gay (C+ ) -- almost his entire positive contribution in this one came in an 18 minute span stretching from the mid first quarter until halftime. He scored 17 of his 22 points in those 18 minutes, and was never a real factor in any other aspect of the game. For the first 6 minutes of the game he missed an around and out corner three to start, a side pullup, and then wisely backed off until we called a play for him out of a mid quarter timeout. But that play resulted in his first hit of the game, and he began scoring in the various ways a Rudy Gay can. Grabbed a missed Ben three and went right to the rim. Hit a three after coming back in the mid 2nd. Declined a corner three with 30sec to go in the half, nearly blew our 2 for 1, but drew the foul with 27 secs to go to keep it, and the pair of FTs got him to 17 by halftime. There had been some forces, there wasn't a whole bunch else going on, but with Cuz swarmed and harassed by the Chuckwagon in there, it was critical that Rudy step up as the leading man, and he had. Then the second half came about, and he was a ghost. Had not scored a point by the time we lost Cuz in the mid 3rd. Responded to us losing Cuz by forcing a shot and airballing it, letting the Raps get out on the break and hit a three the other way to go up 4. Finally got his first hoop of the 2nd half with 4min to go in the thrid on a drive and pullup. He'd ad a FT and an easy dunk from Sessions to close the quarter, and that was it. And the offensive disappearance wasn't made up for by other things. Was made to run some smallball PF, and you could see him in there trying to board but just not coming up with anything. Nor could he avoid all responsibility for the barrage of threes. The numbers say he did his job, and I won't disagree too strenuously. He did his job in an average non-impact sort of way. But when called to step up he just wasn't there. --Brick

Stats: 30min 6pts (2-5, 0-0, 2-2) 3reb 2ast 0stl 1blk 1TO
Thompson ( D ) -- you know, we just really can't afford to have such consistent non-production from JT. 6pts 3rebs in 30 min? That wacky 20-20 game from a couple of weeks back just jumps out as one of the wildest aberrations of the season. He hit two shots on the night, a little flip in the paint on a nice Rudy pass in the first quarter, and then a facing jumper in the second half after we were getting embarrassed again. He was worthless on the boards as we got pounded. Boogie was moving on defense and being swarmed and being swarmed on offense and never seemed quite able to fight through it, you would have thought/hoped that would leave the glass open for JT, but he was just gone as well. There were a few moments of good interior help defense, but when Cuz was out or switched, Val worked Jason over easily. In the first quarter he left Amir open at the three point line, dared him to shoot it, so he did, and made it of course. In the third there wasn't a thing he could do inside about the rain of open threes all around the perimeter. We used him as the backup center in this one, bringing in Landry for Cuz and moving Jason up. But in the first half he was no more than a placeholder, and did basically nothing except not be short. And int he third quarter Boogie's exit was immediately followed by a complete collapse. Primarily Jason's fault? Of course not. But Val dirtworked him, beating him on both ends and on the boards, so Jason certainly wan;t helping. Its just not enough. I don't think Jason's processor works at multiple speeds (or at all some nights), but if a team is swarming Boogie every possession you would absolutely love somebody at the other power spot who would step up and start racking up numbers until they stopped. --Brick

Stats: 30min 13pts (5-10, 0-0, 3-4) 4reb 4stl 2stl 2blk 9TO
Cousins ( C- ) -- Tonight’s game was a grade of two halfs. Two very different halfs for Cuz who came out hustling on defense right from the start. Stayed out on Valanciunas out to the 3 pt line then hustles back and blocks a Lowry layup, then knocks away dribble of Val to start a fast break. Equally active on offense as well, passes out of double team to DC for 3, great bounce pass off break to Ben for quick layin, smushes Val down low for 2 hand dunk, dominating inside and Valanciunas only shooting jumpers. Steals a long inbound pass resulting in Kings score, draws offensive foul from Val. Then in the last 2 min of 1st guarded by Chuck Hayes. Really good 1st quarter for Cuz at both ends. Cuz comes in for Carl half way thru the 2nd with Carl contributins 7 pts in 7 min with good defense. Hayes back on Cuz, both doing lots of smiling and chatting. But Hayes making DMC work a lot more for his shots as he had 2 years of practice while at Kings. Cuz game has dropped down a notch or two in 2nd Q at both ends as Hayes is keeping a body in and on Cuz and defending him well. Good team first half, tied 54-54. Cuz only has 9 pt and 3 reb, 2 stl and 2 blk. In quarter Cuz has small tweek of ankle and hobbled a bit but seemed ok in 2nd half. First half grade B-. Cuz and Val start the 3rd. Good overall Kings defense, ex-King Pat Patterson on Cuz quite a bit, who bothering him for sure, Cuz gets offensive foul pushing him off. Valanciunas goes 6/10 shooting and 9 reb getting the best of Cuz in 2nd half. Cuz then gets his 4th foul at 6:55 remaining in the 3rd vs.Val who took a rebound away from him. Cuz back to start the 4th with Hansbrough trying to guard him as he spins under basket for 2. Tries that again but tripled teamed and ball knocked away. Cuz losing another ball on move to basket for his 9th TO. Game a run away and at 5:15 Hollins in for Cuz as game out of control and McCallum in for Rudy. Cuz not a good game, in 30 min only 13 pts, 4 reb, 4 ast, 2 stl, 2 blk but 9 TO’s. Once the 3 rain got going Cuz slows down and becomes more casual not running the floor as in the 1st half. Could be attitude or maybe the ankle but no apparent limping. Second half grade D- for overall grade of C-. --Cruz

Stats: 36min 17pts (6-11, 3-6, 2-2) 5reb 1ast 0stl 0blk 3TO
McLemore ( C ) -- Well, the first half was fun. Too bad the game didn't end there. Offensively, Ben played to a B, but oddly, compared to how he had been playing defense of late, he was surprisingly bad at times tonight. Especially in the second half, when everything just fell apart. Early in the first quarter there was a sequence where I thought Ben was glued to Vasquez. I remember thinking at the time, this is going to be a long night for Vasquez if Ben continues to defend like that. And for the most part, he did through the first half. The second half was another story. Countless times, he just seemed to ignore Vasquez, and leave him wide open. I'll give a little credit where its due. Vasquez is clever and uses screens as well as anyone in the game. He also uses a slow version of a give and go, where he passes the ball to a cutter, moves to the corner, and the cutter passes it back to him. It's not rocket science, but for some reason both McLemore and Stauskas bit on it. There was play near the end of the 3rd quarter when Vasquez had enough time to shine his shoes before shooting. Pretty pathetic! Offensively Ben played well. He started cold from the outside, but got an easy layup on a nice pass from Cuz, and then got to the line when he was fouled driving to the basket. He started the 2nd half with back to back three's, and then the roof fell in. He did hit one more three, but it didn't matter much at that point. The Raptors destroyed the Kings tonight by raining down three's, and Ben was a big part of allowing that to happen. --Baja

Stats: 30min 12pts (5-10, 2-4, 0-0) 3reb 2ast 1stl 0blk 2TO
Collison ( C ) -- well I've mentioned several times its hard, and indeed even kind of pointless to grade Collison every night. He's been a walking B- for a month. So at least he mixed it up a little bit. Unfortunately it was by taking half a step back. It was another one of those games where the opposing PG had a subpar game, but was it DC? Really? You didn't really see it play to play, but he did get into Lowry on several occasions. He also got beat cleanly on several occasions. And for some reason DC, along with every other Kings guard, seemed to have a mysteriously difficult time staying in front of Greivis, and of course was far too small to challenge his threes. There were several plays he made that started out great, and went for naught. he got a steal, but underthrew the alley oop pass to Ben leading to an empty possession when JT got an offensive foul. He made a nice step through move on the break...but blew the layup. he had a few of his normal solid plays. Hit a three in the corner on a kickout from Boogie. Hit several of his little elbow pullups. Had several not so solid plays. Once at the end of the first quarter he tried a drop off pass to Boogie at the top of the key in the final seconds that was so terrible you just slapped your head as the Raptors scooped it up and went the other way and damn near ht the first quarter buzzer beating layup (DeRozan was half a tic too slow). But through so many of our struggles his talent limitations have been evident. He is a floor leader, but he's not terribly creative. Teams are all over Boogie anymore, and why not, we have no answer for it. DC isn't creating many easy shots for guys, and when he tries, mistakes happen. --Brick

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Bench

Stats: 17min 8pts (3-5, 0-1, 2-2) 0reb 0ast 1stl 0blk 0TO
Stauskas ( D+ ) -- I felt sorry for Nik tonight. He got embarrassed in front of around 200 friends and family. I was hoping that his teammates would try a but harder to involve him in the offense, but that didn't happen. However, offensively he was fine. He took 5 shots, and made 3 of them. He did miss his one three pointer, but none the less, he shot over 50% from the floor. He had no turnovers in 17 minutes, which is something short of a miracle, playing on a team that seems to think turning the ball over is a refined skill. Nik's problems were on the defensive side of the ball, and whats frustrating about it, is that it was all self-imposed. In the first half, his defense was fine. Not perfect, he did dodge a couple of bullets when he got picked and Vasquez missed, and later Williams missed. Plus he made a couple of nice defensive plays contesting shots. The second half was different story, and to be fair, by the time Nik got into the game in the second half, it was already spiraling down the drain. Being the good soldier he is, he jumped right in and contributed by leaving, first Vasquez open several times by playing too far off of him, and later doing the same for Lou Williams. He got a quick trip back to the bench at the start of the 4th quarter after only playing a tad over three minutes of the 3rd. When he finally got back in the game, which was over by this point, he finally decided to get close and personal with Williams, who still hit a very tough shot over Nik. It was too little too late by that time. Hopefully he's learned a little something. Like, you have one man to guard out there, so guard him. --Baja

Stats: 23min 14pts (4-9, 0-0, 6-8) 7reb 2ast 1stl 0blk 0TO
Landry ( C ) --Landry starts 2nd at the 4 with JT at the 5 and DWill, Nik and Sessions Two jumpers in a row for Landry shows that his wrist seems all healed. Then a two hand dunk on pass form Sessions. JT makes elbow jumper, is just floating around on defense, Landry in for Cuz at 6;55 left in 3rd when he got his 4th foul. Landry gets a nice 18 ft on feed from Rudy being doubled. Kings down 8. Landry playing the 4 and JT the 5. Raptors hit 8/10 from 3 pt range in the 3rd, Warrior game all over again. Kings down 18. --Cruz

Stats: 12min 4pts (1-3, 0-1, 2-2) 1reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Williams ( D ) -- D for "DNP". There was a jersey out there, but that was about it. Totally invisible backing up Rudy in the early 2nd for 6min, with a bagel straight across the statsheet. Was ever so slightly more involved in his second half minutes. Had a selfish reverse atttempt rather than kicking it out and missed it. Got out on the break and took a pass from Ben for an easy dunk. Did consent to grabbing 1 rebound. He's about the same size Rodman was, has that Rodman game too. --Brick

Stats: 17min 4pts (0-1, 0-0, 4-4) 3reb 2ast 1stl 0blk 0TO
Sessions ( C ) -- missed a shot, got the rebound, and raced in and passed it to Carl for a dunk, Not much productivity beyond rebounds in his 2nd quarter stint, but no disasters, and we hung in better than the bench normally does. Not effective in his late 3rd stint as we collapsed
without Boogie. Part of a 3 guard lineup in the 4th. Kyle Lowry is better than him. Still, as Ramon games have gone this year, again were no disasters. Didn't gun. Didn't turn it over. In the first half he might have been steadier than Collison. --Brick

Stats: 5min 0pts (0-0, 0-0, 0-0) 0reb 0ast 0stl 1blk 0TO
Hollins ( INC ) -- came in for the garbagetime and did a whole lot of nothing, aside from one nice block in there with about 2min to go. --Brick

Stats: 5min 2pts (1-2, 0-0, 0-0) 2reb 1ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
McCallum ( INC ) -- just the garbagetime. Got 1 nice long swooping drive down the right side when the Raptors parted the seas for him. --Brick

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think Cousins is sending a huge message to management. Every time he uses the word defense you can just substitute the word, Malone. "It's a mental thing," said Cousins. That's why they aren't play well. "It's a mental thing."

Whoever said this team had no chance on being in the bottom 10 (after Malone was fired) better not have bet the house on it.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
maybe Cousins should stop talking to the media like Marshawn Lynch....or just repeat the same thing over and over again with the words "effort" and "defense" in the sentence.

Cousins should put in a trade request in a bid to clean up this mess. We can’t sit on our hands here like Vivek is doing. Absolutely disgraceful. We will lose boogie in a few years that much is certain.

We are probably in legitimate contention for the worst team in the NBA right now. Sixers, Knicks, Wolves are as good or better than we currently are

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I think Cousins is sending a huge message to management. Every time he uses the word defense you can just substitute the word, Malone. "It's a mental thing," said Cousins. That's why they aren't play well. "It's a mental thing."

Whoever said this team had no chance on being in the bottom 10 (after Malone was fired) better not have bet the house on it.
To be honest, I thought we'd somewhat regroup and make a half-assed run at the 8th spot. I thought we'd be worse but with our starting 5 I still believed we'd recover and pull it together, enough to be competitive. We do have talent. A team with DeMarcus cousins and Rudy Gay should in no way be this uncompetitive.

I did not think the bottom would fall out so quickly as I didn't think this team could be mismanaged to this extent. But Corbin as coach is just brutal. Also appears he's being coached through PDA and has thrown defense out the window completely. I really expected us to stay afloat to an extent as I didn't think Corbin would lose the locker room this quickly.

This is a disaster though.

We are probably in legitimate contention for the worst team in the NBA right now. Sixers, Knicks, Wolves are as good or better than we currently are
Eh, disagree with that. We have a better team that all 3 of those, including the Lakers (who have lost 9 straight in an obvious tank season), but I would agree that we literally have nothing to look forward to other than seeing if Cousins makes the all-star team. Cap space this year? Not really. High draft pick? Probably not, might even lose it. Any assets to trade to get better? Nope. So yes, in terms of depression, we are legitimate contenders for having the most depressing team in the NBA.

Eh, disagree with that. We have a better team that all 3 of those.
we have a better team than a LOT of teams. i think we have a better team than New Orleans, who is very close to the 8th seed.

but we are currently playing worse than almost any team in the NBA.....

John Dickinson @JDJohnDickinson
· 1h1 hour ago
#NBAKings 5-15 since firing Michael Malone. Only Magic, Knicks, Lakers & Wolves worse over that span. 3 of Sac's 5 wins since vs. NY/LAL/MIN

I hope Cousins career isn't ruined by these morons. Cousins has the potential to be an all time great and if it means him having to leave to achieve it then fine. As long as we continue to f*** around I am going to be ok with that.

Cousins is the hero that we deserve, but not the one we need right now. We need a hero to come out of the FO or coaching spot because this doesn't work without the same game plan for top to bottom.

Bricklayer

I hope Cousins career isn't ruined by these morons. Cousins has the potential to be an all time great and if it means him having to leave to achieve it then fine. As long as we continue to f*** around I am going to be ok with that.

Cousins is the hero that we deserve, but not the one we need right now. We need a hero to come out of the FO or coaching spot because this doesn't work without the same game plan for top to bottom.
I'm really not going to have a hard time divesting myself and going with the big guy if that happens. Other than the investment in this board of course.

I'm really not going to have a hard time divesting myself and going with the big guy if that happens. Other than the investment in this board of course.
Agreed. I'm used to the losing, most of the years I've been a fan have been the recent lottery years. But this is on another scale and I'm not sure if there's going to be a slow and steady drop back to normalcy. It may be a sharp drop straight to the rocky bottom.

Will Cousins stick around? If he does the man deserves a lifetime achievement award. If he doesn't well suffice it to say Vivek and company have given me little reason to stay. I'd rather leave and remember the good memories than watch a know it all burn it to the ground.

In regards to this board I would still poke around. Been a part of it for too long to go cold turkey.

So everybody is 100% sure that there is NO WAY Vivek can pull a George Steinbrenner and rehire Michael Malone after he cans Pete D'Alessandro (or simultaneously)? Because that would be really the smart splashy thing to do right now. PDA will have plenty of severance and being a martyr just sometimes goes with the territory (assuming PDA is really doing Vivek's bidding here all along). As long as Vivek didn't get personally get his hands specifically dirty in the Malone firing, why not?

So, It seems like a healthy Omri Casspi is not good enough to get any playing time on this team.
I don't get it.
:(

DWill is part of this whole "Position-less basketball" thing we got goin on here! He also is good for an alley oop or dunk once a game....

My NBA 3.0 stat machine money ball calculator is also showing me he is much better pace wise.

Bottom line is man, if Casspi deserved playing time the NBA 3.0 stat machine money ball Pete God calculator would have told us so and he would be playing.
Untill then....step aside and let the real ball players play ball!

To be honest, I thought we'd somewhat regroup and make a half-assed run at the 8th spot. I thought we'd be worse but with our starting 5 I still believed we'd recover and pull it together, enough to be competitive. We do have talent. A team with DeMarcus cousins and Rudy Gay should in no way be this uncompetitive.
Why would you think that?

It's been clear to me that there is a contest of wills going on in this organization, with the players on one side and the front office on the other.
The players do not want to win for this management. Cousins has been VERY clear that he believes the management doesn't know what they are doing (his repeated insistence on DEFENSE proves it).
If the players play hard and win, it relieves the pressure on the front office for them to get a real coach in here.
Hell, I think it may simply be that the players want the management to admit to them they made a mistake in firing Malone.
It could really be that simple, people.
This is going to continue to be a crapstorm until Vivek personally reassures Cousins (and Gay, and the rest of the team) that they will stop dictating to the on-court talent what style they play in.

Until they back off and let the players (and coaches) play (and coach), and acknowledge their talents and abilities instead of trumpeting the management's "successes" and abilities.

I firmly believe the players feel very disrespected and not valued by the management.
I think they feel the management has taken credit for the hard work the players (and Malone/Jent, etc) accomplished.
I think they feel their management is insulting, devious, and lying (the multiple underhanded leaks, the signing of Gay right before firing Malone, the lies about telling Demarcus before he found out on Twitter, etc).
I think the players are trying desperately to put the management in their place. I think they are justified, after seeing how little the front office appears to know about basketball.

But it is a VERY risky gamble they are pulling out there.
There is NO WAY this Kings team could play the way they did, against the competition they had at the beginning of the season, and now they can't play against anyone. NO WAY.

This is a contest of wills, and it will not end until Vivek and Pete basically apologize to the players.

Good luck on that, guys. We'll need it.

Why would you think that?

It's been clear to me that there is a contest of wills going on in this organization, with the players on one side and the front office on the other.
The players do not want to win for this management. Cousins has been VERY clear that he believes the management doesn't know what they are doing (his repeated insistence on DEFENSE proves it).
If the players play hard and win, it relieves the pressure on the front office for them to get a real coach in here.
Hell, I think it may simply be that the players want the management to admit to them they made a mistake in firing Malone.
It could really be that simple, people.
This is going to continue to be a poopoostorm until Vivek personally reassures Cousins (and Gay, and the rest of the team) that they will stop dictating to the on-court talent what style they play in.

Until they back off and let the players (and coaches) play (and coach), and acknowledge their talents and abilities instead of trumpeting the management's "successes" and abilities.

I firmly believe the players feel very disrespected and not valued by the management.
I think they feel the management has taken credit for the hard work the players (and Malone/Jent, etc) accomplished.
I think they feel their management is insulting, devious, and lying (the multiple underhanded leaks, the signing of Gay right before firing Malone, the lies about telling Demarcus before he found out on Twitter, etc).
I think the players are trying desperately to put the management in their place. I think they are justified, after seeing how little the front office appears to know about basketball.

But it is a VERY risky gamble they are pulling out there.
There is NO WAY this Kings team could play the way they did, against the competition they had at the beginning of the season, and now they can't play against anyone. NO WAY.

This is a contest of wills, and it will not end until Vivek and Pete basically apologize to the players.

Good luck on that, guys. We'll need it.
Wouldn't it be great if a movement to re-hire Malone came from the PLAYERS!?

That might redeem this whole situation. Of course PDA would have to go at that point, too.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Bottom line is man, if Casspi deserved playing time the NBA 3.0 stat machine money ball Pete God calculator would have told us so and he would be playing.
To be fair, the NBA 3.0 stat machine money ball Pete God calculator went out and GOT Omri Casspi in the offseason when he wasn't really on anybody's radar here, so maybe it's not the NBA 3.0 stat machine money ball Pete God calculator's decision to bench him.

As I've pointed out before, there were reports in the Warriors game thread that he got yanked and then got into a verbal altercation with the coaches on the bench, which might explain why he's not playing.