[Grades] Grades v. Raptors 11/20/2016

Which veteran support guy was the most supportive tonight?

• Collison

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Koufos

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Afflalo

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Temple

Votes: 27 58.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Defense, vets, and multiple roleplayers stepping up off the bench -- this is the way it was supposed to be. BTW, we own the Raptors. Like own their souls. We are "that team" that every good team has. Their special kryptonite. We've swept the season series from them 2 years in a row now, and appear to be the only team in the league still playing enough fullsized personnel to make DeRozan look like, well same ole DeRozan. Hell, we even got the refs to give us a break, after they whistled Cuz for 3 quick fouls to get us in trouble in the first half. For a decade straight now "turning point games" have been anything but for us. But here we are again with another opportunity. We've been pressing good teams, and now finally broke through. The team is still playing hard and together, things are coming around as the schedule slowly starts getting more reasonable. It always starts somewhere...unless you are us.

Link to Boxscore

Starters

Gay ( A+ ) -- all those who had "Rudy Gay, leading scorer in the NBA stopper" down in the prediction game thread...I'll give you $1 million a piece. Heck, make it $10 mil a piece. Its an easy promise since I know there was absolutely nobody. Anyway, Rudy was brilliant tonight. Played tough and fired up, and smothered DeRozan, holding him 21pts below his season average. That's how you get a "+".

Featured Grade
Barnes ( C+ ) -- Matt started the game at PF tonight, and really didn't do much in the first quarter. He was tasked with guarding Siakam, who at least in the first quarter, had more of an impact on the game than Barnes did. Of course Barnes was giving away a lot os size. It didn't take long for Joerger to get Koufos into the game for some rim protection. When Barnes came back into the game, Rudy went out and Barnes was on DeRozen, who he continued to make life miserable for. Matt scored 8 points, but didn't shoot the ball well going 3 for 10 from the floor. Despite that, I might have given him a B if not for some stupid turnovers and only one rebound. Matt did make a difference in the game though with solid defense in the second half. --Baja

Cousins ( C ) -- got off to the hot start per usual, bombing threes. But then Lowry hopped into him a few times, and the refs took the rest of the first half from him. After half slowly turned into a struggle as his shot totally left him, and bricked so many it was endangering us. But made some big plays in other ways late, including the tip on the inbounds to save the win.

Collison ( B ) -- was mostly about the assists early, but in the second half as other sources of offense dried up, Darren made more impact. Had a huge +1 down the stretch that set us up for victory, although decision making in the final minute continues to be disturbingly shaky.

Lawson ( C+ ) -- the mighty mini starting backcourt didn't last long as the Raptors were immediately determined to pummel our little guards inside, forcing us to double and scramble our D. But Lawson looked more comfortable out there, and while certainly not excelling, he scrapped and stuck his nose in.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Bench

Koufos ( A- ) -- its hard to ever give Koufos an A of any kind because his game is so damn ugly, and even here he missed a couple of his ugflips, and some FT to boot. But even with that, I thought this was one of his best and most energetic games. And his defensive impact, getting up to block shots too, was a major boost off the bench.

Afflalo ( B+ ) -- wasn't able to sustain it after half, but in the first half was an important figure for us, looking perfectly comfortable coming off the bench and I think even leading the team in scoring.

Cauley Stein ( INC ) -- got bullied and beat up by Valanciunas, and could do nothing but foul in return. Didn't last long before Joerger really showed his hand and went all vets all the time.

McLemore ( INC ) -- like Willie, Ben came in, missed his shots at a dangerous time for us, nad was removed and never returned as the veteran guards scrapped out the win. You can feel how serious Joerger has gotten tightening the screws now.

Tolliver ( INC ) -- I think all the minutes were in the first half. Largely ineffective inside, but did have a few moments of good defensive attention on the perimeter.

Temple ( A- ) -- as always with Temple, its not about the numbers, although the number were solid. But in the second half, and late in particular, brought some hellacious defense, and along with Barnes harassed the hell out DeRozan. And as a topper hit two big threes for us as well.

Casspi ( :( ) -- I just felt like Omri deserved a buck me up grade. He must be a sad panda right now after being kinda announced as the likely starter up until 10 minutes before gametime, and then going from finally getting a chance to start to being the only guy in our Top 12 not to play at all.

Last edited:
Wow, what what a forth quarter by Rudy, Darren and Temple! Also shout out to Cuz to keep playing and making an impact defensively after not getting any foul calls in the fourth. He was fouled on the drive, then clearly fouled shooting the three, then gets elbowed and then hit in the groins by Lowry (for what should have been his sixth foul). But he kept his cool and contributed to our team win.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cousins getting a C is pretty generous.

Strong start with 10 points and 3 boards in a first half cut to just 9 minutes after 3 iffy fouls. I expected him to come on strong in the second half and he gave the team almost nothing.

I believe 3-16 shooting and just zero energy, effort or fire.

Only stopped getting torched by Valanciunis because the Raptors bizarrely stopped going to him.

Boogie floated on the perimeter, settled almost exclusively for long jumpers and was a big part of the Kings looking really stagnant on offense and outworked on the other end.

I'm happy for the win and the good defensive job the Kings did once Joerger realized that having the 5'11 Lawson guard the 6'8" (and NBA leading scorer) DeRozan but I feel they kind of stole one here.

Gay had some typical Iso-Rudy tunnel vision that led to forced shots or turnovers (4 - all in the first half) but really tonight he looked like the franchise cornerstone and Cousins looked like the player that doesn't want to be in Sacramento.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm still curious of Ty/Darren on the court a lot together, we will see if that's a solution heading forward
I really don't like that lineup choice. Not only does it make the team too small and create more defensive issues (Lawson should never be guarding DeRozan) but it means there's no PG to come off the bench. Also, Ty just kills the starting five's spacing. Tonight Toronto sagged off him to almost Rondo-like levels.

I never understood starting Koufos/Cousins/Gay/Afflalo/Lawson. A poor shooting PG, two wings who can shoot okay from outside but prefer the midrange or post up iso game and two bigs. It's a recipe for poor spacing and not good enough defensively to overcome that. I'm glad Joerger went away from it but I don't think he's found the right recipe yet.

Honestly I'd like to see:

Cousins
Barnes (possibly WCS against big front courts)
Gay
Temple
Collison

Then a 2nd unit that pushes the pace and uses Afflalo as a bench scorer.

Cauley-Stein or Koufos
Tolliver
Casspi
Afflalo
Lawson

Tolliver would likely get his minutes squeezed and either Willie or Kosta would play but I think Omri deserves floor time. Especially if you go uptempo with the 2nd unit. You could also go small with Lawson & Ben in the backcourt and Afflalo & Casspi swinging up a step as the forwards. I think you have to put Koufos at center but if he'd get his act together that's exactly the lineup and style that would benefit Cauley-Stein in a Tyson Chandler-like role.

Last edited:
Bricklayer said:
Casspi ( :( ) -- I just felt like Omri deserved a buck me up grade. He must be a sad panda right now after being kinda announced as the likely starter up until 10 minutes before gametime, and then going from finally getting a chance to start to being the only guy in our Top 12 not to play at all.
Does anyone have a clue what the BLIP is going on behind the scenes to make Omri get 0 minutes game after game?
(It's definitely behind the scenes, believe me. It's not his game! I can show it in numbers, when I have the time...)

We could have really used him tonight!

First, we were outrebounded big-time, and Casspi is by far our best man on the boards as we go small
(Heck, he's close to being our best rebounder period... o_O certainly among the non-7-footers)

On top of that, Barnes wasn't giving us a stellar performance, and don't get me started about Tolliver & WCS.
All 3 of them ended up with a negative +/- and produced 10 points combined in the PF position...
WHAT IN THE WORLD WOULD PREVENT OMRI FROM GETTING EVEN A HEAT CHECK?

If it would have been for Rudy's Perfectly All-Starish performance in the 3 & 4 - I could get it.
But then you must still fill the other position beside him (SF or PF)!
Afflalo was REALLY hot in the 1st half, but he was non-existant (and hardly used) in the 2nd.

SO AGAIN - WHAT'S THE DEAL?

ANYONE?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish I could answer the Omri quandry. He deserves better.
Hopefully I wake up tomorrow and Omri has been traded to the Celts for Rozier. Both players could get more meaningful minutes on different teams.

Last edited:
Cuz passed out of the double well, but has problems against equally massive opponents. His 3 point shot is a really nice thing to have.
Valanciunas- who the heck is this guy?? Hopefully Papagiannis!

I got to admit I didn't know much about Temple when we signed him, but so far he is literally been my favourite King this year. So glad we got him locked up on a decent deal for multiple years.

Reading through the game thread, I see WCS is becoming the new scapegoat for this site. Sometimes, I'd just like to remind people he's a sophomore. As Jerry pointed out during this game, there is no way we should be giving up on bigs this early into their career, especially when he showed a lot last year as well.

Am I the only one here that thinks that Temple is really under rated league wide as a defender? He is one of the best perimeter defenders in the league. Doing a heck of a job for us especially late in games.

I would not mind seeing hm and Collison starting for us. He just rarely makes mistakes defensively and plays within himself offensively.
One of the best in the league? I don't know about that. More likely, that Kings Fans are so used to watching bad defense every night, that an above average defender like Temple suddenly looks like Tony Allen for them. ;)

I liked what I saw from Willie. He was able to double Lowry or DeRozan in the pick&roll and to recover to Valanciunas afterwards. He is physically able to do, what we need him for. Now it's all about the next step - defend guys like Valanciunas without fouling too much, box out and make it a little tougher for them to catch the pass and to finish the play. A few more deflections,a block here and there or a forced miss on a jumphook and we got excactly what we want - make Valanciunas beat you instead of Lowry or DeRozan.

Kings win! As I mentioned in the game thread, a Rudy Gay that plays stellar defense and within the flow of the offense as the legitimate second option is an All-Star. The only problem is that Rudy is like a shark that smells blood in that if he scores a few buckets he wants to shoot them all and destroy any offensive momentum.

F

Fora Dragi

I liked what I saw from Willie. He was able to double Lowry or DeRozan in the pick&roll and to recover to Valanciunas afterwards. He is physically able to do, what we need him for. Now it's all about the next step - defend guys like Valanciunas without fouling too much, box out and make it a little tougher for them to catch the pass and to finish the play. A few more deflections,a block here and there or a forced miss on a jumphook and we got excactly what we want - make Valanciunas beat you instead of Lowry or DeRozan.
Actually I would say he did a terrible job. He got beat many times after committing to the ball handler and leaving his man too long.

I got to admit I didn't know much about Temple when we signed him, but so far he is literally been my favourite King this year. So glad we got him locked up on a decent deal for multiple years.

Reading through the game thread, I see WCS is becoming the new scapegoat for this site. Sometimes, I'd just like to remind people he's a sophomore. As Jerry pointed out during this game, there is no way we should be giving up on bigs this early into their career, especially when he showed a lot last year as well.
He literally changes the game negatively momentum wise for the team when he's in the game he's been so bad. And he would've been the scapegoat, as a 9-0 run occurrrd in his measly 4 minutes

He needs to earn his time. We don't have the margin for error and it's not fair for the others busting their tails