[Grades] Grades v. Pacers 1/14/2014

So much suck tonight. Who had the most of it?

• Gay

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Thompson

Votes: 9 14.3%
  • Thornton

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Thomas

Votes: 41 65.1%
  • Williams

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fredette

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • McLemore

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Gray

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Ok...the good news:

1) Big Cuz held up his end. He looked as nervous as I was to start the game, struggled to figure out the length or get settled, but given some time to think about it at half, he came out in an epic third quarter and put up 19pts 10rebs...in a quarter! against Roy Hibbert. Point made and received big guy.
2) sdballer is gracing us with his grading expertise. And the lucky guy got to watch the PG debacle tonight too.
3) Girls. There will be girls.

The bad news? Everyone not named Cousins looked completely out of their league and stunk the place up. Cousins showed up, but he was all alone, and while he showed off for the nation, our team as a whole got spanked and sent home by a superior group.

Your Consoritum Graders tonight:
Bricklayer
Bajaden
sdballer
Henkel
MassachusettsKingsFan

Boxscore

Stats: 30min 12pts (6-14, 0-1, 0-0) 0reb 2ast 3stl 0blk 2TO
Gay ( D+ ) -- Tonight was supposed to be a big matchup between Cousins and Hibbert, and Gay and George. I think we can safely say that Cuz won his matchup. Not so with Gay. He was completely out played by George tonight. It appeared to me that the Pacer's game plan was to try and stop Cousins and Gay, and see if the rest of our team could beat them. They did contain Cousins for a while, but in the third quarter he decided enough was enough, and picked up the team and put them on his back. Gay wasn't so lucky, and I say lucky, because he did have quite a few good shots. He simply couldn't get them to drop tonight. And I could excuse it as just one of those nights. Every player has them. But he didn't pull down one itsy bitsy rebound. Not one! And that's why I'm giving him a D+. He did work hard on the defensive end, but the Pacers are very clever with their screens and he was constantly rubbed off. He did have 2 assists and 3 steals, and unfortunately, 2 turnovers. So maybe it was just jet lag, or he ate too many breaded fillets at the arena. I don't want to make too big a deal out of this. He's been terrific since his arrival, and he's certainly entitled to have a bad game. I just wish it hadn't been on national TV. Fortunately, he can easily blend in with the rest of the team, that in general, with only a couple exceptions, was downright terrible. No play by play tonight. I have no desire to revisit it. The sooner forgotten the better. --Baja

Phoebe Tonkin

Stats: 19min 1pts (0-4, 0-0, 1-2) 2reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Thompson ( F ) -- JT was unable to continue his recent hot streak with a ugly performance tonight. A non factor early as he managed to pick up his second foul not even four minutes into this one, which forced him to sit for much of the first half. Got back in mid way through the second and was unproductive. Quickly replaced with the more active body in Acy for the final two minutes of the half. Even less productive minutes in third considering his only two rebounds on the night came in the first half. Tried to get more involved offensively but Hibbert was able to bother both his shot attempts around the basket. Missed that inconsistent jumper of his, which is a shot that at one point appeared to be a major asset for him but strangely never improved. Had a few decent moments on the defensive end in the third, but has some bad moments as well. The Pacers tough front line gives a lot of big guys trouble but Jason looked completely outmatched tonight. --Henkel

Allison Brie

Stats: 30min 31pts (12-21, 0-0, 7-7) 13reb 2ast 2stl 1blk 4TO
Cousins ( A ) -- my apologies at the delay in posting the only ray of light to be found in this set of grades. one does get so caught up in the administration of the whole circus that you sometimes forget about that actual grading part of it. So, big showdown. Grading breakdown is something like this: maybe C or C- first half, A+++!!! 3rd quarter, and a +/half grade at least for who he did it against. You just don't see that done against the Pacers very often. Boogie's 31 was the third highest total of the season against the Pacers (Wade had 32 once, and Durant 36), and he did it in three quarters. In the early going of this one he actually looked overamped, threw several bad passes for turnovers, and we had to take a quick timeout as we quickly found ourselves down 11-2. He was a little more settled after the timeout, but you could see him struggling to figure out Hibbert's length, and looking for the refs to help him do so as he repeatedly forced drives right into the big guy's chest, which is not bright. After he returned in the second he began to settle in and start going to war, finally went to a half hook inside, was playing very stout man defense in there, and generally you could see him amping up to the Pacers level, something none of his teammates were able to do. he only had 3 first half rebounds, but legitimately it was mostly a case fo the ball just not coming toward the centers at all. Hibbert only had 2 during the same time. Every rebound just seemed to kick long or the other side of the hoop. So with Cousins sputtering to life, we raggedly made up some ground and closed the first half still breathing. Not by much, but still alive. And then the 3rd happened and just...wow. He blew up against a guy favored to win DPOY to the tune of 19pts 10rebs...in a quarter. He had one great full court rumble past Hibbert for the dunk on the break, but much of the damage came from either he or the coaching staff figuring something out: tyring to power through or over a 7'2" man is nearly impossible. BUT, what if instead you lurk, wait until your teammate drives and the 7'2" man goes over to crush them, and then slash to the boards and overpower all those non-7'2" players for putbacks and finishes at the rim? And so again and again and again Boogie powered inside grabbed our misses, and finished them before the 7'2" wall could get back into the play. It was quite spectacular, but he was out there alone. Nobody else came online. Not even a I'll just sputter to semi-life as your Robin sort of thing. Basically Cuz singlehandedly kept us in the game. Our defense sucked again, they scored again and again, and then Cuz would counter. Then their turn, then his etc. But he battled, and several times in the quarter we got it down under double digits. But we could never get the stops, everybody else stubbornly refused to make even simple basketball plays, and so we could never get over the hump. And then when we sat Cuz to start the 4th the Pacers pounced and turned it into a rout so quickly that Malone opted to just give Cuz the rest of the night off so he'd be fresher to pace Pekovic tommorow. So, we lost. predictable. But as the Cousins grader and a chief proponent of Cousins for All Star, all was not lost as the big guy showed his quality on semi-national TV thanks to the efforts fo Slim and others. --Brick

Tena Desae

Stats: 28min 7pts (3-7, 1-2, 0-0) 4reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Thornton ( D ) -- Marcus Thornton wasn’t very good tonight, and watching this teams shooting guard crew fail night after night is getting old. His only two offensive highlights were a strong transition drive to the basket and a transition 3 from a pass by DeMarcus Cousins. His defense on Lance Stephenson wasn’t very good, but it wasn’t horrible. He didn’t get torched, so that’s something. The larger point is that Marcus Thornton continues to give this team nothing in the 30 minutes per game he’s been getting since returning to the starting lineup. You can afford this kind of production when you’re facing the Magic or the Cavaliers, but when you’re playing the Indiana Pacers is has to be all hands on deck. You have to get a positive performance out of most of your players, and tonight Thornton let the team down like he’s been doing all season. I still don’t know what happened to this guy. I really don’t. He used to have irrational confidence, and now he has one. I wish I had more to say about Thornton’s performance tonight, but I hardly have any notes to begin with. He’s just not making any plays worth remembering, and unfortunately for the Kings their first round draft pick shooting guard isn’t playing any better. I wonder how close Malone is to throwing traditional positions out the window and starting Derrick Williams over these underachievers. --Mass

Emma Watson -- one nice bonus of letting the Consortium choose their own girls this season is I've been able to repost faves without feeling that I am repeating myself. Hermione done grew up

Stats: 27min 7pts (3-9, 1-2, 0-0) 1reb 1ast 1stl 0blk 3TO
Thomas ( F+ ) -- Almost went with the low D but besides his negative impact on D and O, his effort and body language were extremely poor tonight. From the start, IT looked like he was playing through the flu tonight. On offense, he did little to set up his teammates and even seemed to struggle getting his own against the Pacers D. A starting PG that handles the ball as much as he does should never give you 1 assist and 3 TO's. The few shots he did hit weren't especially forced, so I guess that's something. The other offensive issue for me with IT today is that our superstar talent had 19 points in the 3rd quarter and only one of those baskets were due to a pass from IT. In regards to his D, it was its usual blahness. He wasn't dealing with a real threat across from him but his inability to fight through screens, rotate intelligently and stop the ball in transition caused us problems. I know our Pg depth is weak but there is no reason IT should ever allow two straight easy fast breaks due to not wanting to pick up a 3rd foul in the late 1st half. He wasn't the reason we lost the game but he sure didn't help. --sdballer

Margot Robbie -- my selection, not baller's. Everybody is talking about her after Wolf of Wall Street, so so should we.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Bench

Stats: 23min 6pts (3-4, 0-0, 0-0) 4reb 1ast 0stl 1blk 2TO
Acy ( B- ) -- you know, might have been our second best player tonight, and he wasn't even particularly good. He just at least competed. Came in the game and immediately powered through by West for a hoop. Started the second quarter though running the floor hard and getting back to back fastbreak conversions against the Pacers -- not easy to do as they are an elite team at getting back and defending the break. But then tried to hit Gray under the hoop with a pass, and threw it off the bottom of the hoop. Was in a bit of a back and forth with Luis Scola. Slapped away a ball from Scola on defense, but Scola got him a few times too. Was back in to start the 4th to give Cuz some rest, but did nothing at backup center as the Pacers beat our reserves over the head until we said uncle. Did eventually get a tip in in the mid quarter that was probably offensive interference. Some good hustle, but modest numbers again as the hustle sometimes got countered by lack of size.--Brick

Lila Salet

Stats: 21min 9pts (4-10, 1-3, 0-0) 4reb 4ast 1stl 0blk 0TO
Fredette ( C ) -- Jimmer outplayed IT tonight on both ends of the court. In other news, I'd rather step in pee than poo. Not to bash Jimmer, who had an ok game, but I get the sense that we reset the bar after his first couple years so a good game for him doesn't necessarily reflect anything close to what we'd want from our pg. He showed more confidence in his shot, had a couple nice drives for crafty baskets and he found teammates for some baskets. That being said, he still struggles to create off the dribble and while he puts out effort on d, especially team d, he isn't a threat to contain his man. When teams can attack you on both O and D, not sure that's a great thing. Probably a little more harsh than necessary, but he still seems like a better fit as a backup 2 next to a bigger PG. --sdballer

Sara Galimberti -- Miss Italy contestant turned track star/Olympic hopeful. She runs the 800 and 1500, so don't even bother trying to chase her down.

Stats: 25min 9pts (4-11, 0-2, 1-4) 6reb 2ast 0stl 1blk 1TO
Williams ( D+ ) -- Active although inefficient on the offensive end and lazy on the defensive end. When JT got into early foul trouble Malone went with Acy over Williams. With West out there and Williams soft defense it's hard to blame him. Got in late first and quickly got up a couple of decent shots. We managed to push the tempo a bit early second and Williams was doing a nice job as usual getting up and down. Nice little stretch overall as he was getting on the boards as well. Got back in late in the third when it seemed the Kings still had a chance to get back in it, instead the Pacers stepped on our throats and Williams and the rest of that group on the floor weren't able to offer much resistance. Looking to score through out the extended garbage time without much result. Did a decent job on the boards during this stretch, but considering the game was out of reach it's tough to give him much credit. Deserves some credit for a decent run early second but was a non-factor as the game quickly got out of hand.--Henkel

Rose Byrne

Stats: 19min 7pts (3-9, 1-2, 0-0) 3reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
McLemore ( D ) -- Then there was Ben McLemore. By my count McLemore played about 9 meaningful minutes of basketball tonight before garbage time started, and he wasn’t good in those important minutes. He still just cannot shoot from anywhere. He isn’t showing enough touch around the basket as most of his layups are hitting the backboard and nothing else. He’s shooting them too hard. His jumper is completely inconsistent. It looks like he’s just throwing it up there and praying for the best. He was the weak link on a bench unit that played all right as a whole for some of the night. He started forcing more offense in garbage time, which I honestly had no problem with. He hit a few shots late in the fourth to make his stat line look a little more respectable, but this was not pretty. And I have no idea what you do with this guy right now. He’s not getting any better. Zero signs of improvement. That is alarming. Honest question, has he shown any more than Thomas Robinson showed in his half season as a King? My answer would be no, and my next point would be that I have to believe PDA could move McLemore by the deadline if the right deal came along. --Mass

Toni Garrn -- who Mass says is DiCapprio's latest

Stats: 10min 3pts (1-2, 0-0, 1-4) 3reb 0ast 1stl 0blk 1TO
Gray ( C- ) -- in near the end of the first quarter, which was a mercy because Cuz needed to settle down. Didn't do much of anything himself, but we went on a good run to actually take the lead with that bench crew. Seemed to get into it a little with Stevensen and got an offensive foul we did not need. Did dip in a little shot in the paint. Back in for the final minutes of garbagetime. Got to the lien with a pick and roll, but missed both FTs. Did not challenge an inside dunk. Its hard to even know what to expect out of Gray, but whatever that may be, he did not help matters this time out. --Brick

Mercedes Masohn

Stats: 8min 0pts (0-1, 0-1, 0-0) 0reb 1ast 0stl 2blk 1TO
Outlaw ( INC ) -- Travis did play 7 minutes or so, but didn't touch the ball for the first 5 and half minutes. He did finally take a shot at the 1:37 mark of the 4th quarter and missed. Oh, and he followed that miss with a blocked shot at the other end. --Baja

placeholder...

Last edited:

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I recommend drawing from Spike's award-winning Island Babe Draft list for girls. Really, it's what the people want.

i voted for Thomas. the guy was just all about himself tonight and played sloppy on top of that. not even gonna talk about his defense. Jacking up contested shots when your big man is in the middle of OWNING the "best" defensive Center in the league is a no-no for anybody, especially a so called Point Guard.

I

I~true

Gray. :)Free throws and ruining jimmer's dishes. He should have had about 8.

IT looked ill out there . Worst game I've seen. He usually steps up .

Now they played a great team after a long home stand against possibly the best regular season team in b-ball.

IThink we will bounce back.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It looked like IT was trying to figure out ax2+bx+c=0 pretty much all night long. Came out lackadaisical on the first defensive possession, and then didn't push the pace. Granted, his teammates didn't seem like they were interested in running either, but I'd rather have him force it in fast break situations than wait plodding herd to catch up with him.

S

SacKings2002NBAChampions

13 assists for the Kings tonight.

Never seen a team with that little amount of assists actually win a game before.
Maybe a team with Iverson, Kobe (no Shaq) or Chamberlain.

Before the game I had a feeling the Kings might have a let down tonight. That and the Pacers are just at a whole other level. Especially at home. Humble pie was served. Good news is they can the bad taste out of their mouths tomorrow night.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
It looked like IT was trying to figure out ax2+bx+c=0 pretty much all night long. Came out lackadaisical on the first defensive possession, and then didn't push the pace. Granted, his teammates didn't seem like they were interested in running either, but I'd rather have him force it in fast break situations than wait plodding herd to catch up with him.
What's this bull dooky about IT needing to push the pace?

In case you haven't realized it yet, the best offensive center in the league, Boogie, excels in the halfcourt. He did some serious damage tonight in the half court. IT's helter skelter pace makes it tough enough on Boogie as it is as just about every 3rd trip down the floor our PG is not patient enough to allow our best player to set up. The pace IT excels at and the pace Boogie excels at are opposite one another. Campaigning for us to exacerbate the difference even more and encourage IT to run more, while putting our best player at a disadvantage is a failed strategy through and through.

On top of that, the more IT pushes the pace, the more run and gun he is, the more it sets the NBA's worst overall defense(US) up to struggle even more. I mean, that's a great strategy to make us struggle more on BOTH ends. Would you have preferred giving up 130 instead of 116?

In addition to all that, Gay also operates better in the halfcourt.

There were a few reasons why we struggled tonight but not pushing it enough isn't near the top of the list. It's amazing with the issues we saw today that what you take away from the game is that IT didn't push the ball enough. Do you even notice anyone else out there?

Last edited:
I suppose this is what happens when a long defensive guard like George Hill is all around IT and he can't even take advantage of any other player in Pacers line-up not against Stevenson, not against George.
Probably a game where Jimmer plays much better than IT and I'm not a Jimmer fan. But I only saw the first half of the game though.

S

SacKings2002NBAChampions

How does a point guard have 1 assist in almost 30 mins of game time?
Who still wants IT to start for the Kings?

EDIT: Can't wait till we draft Exum

I

I~true

The Heat wouldn't have beaten the Pacers tonight. We hit a buzz saw .I wonder what the wolves season high is.:p

Last edited by a moderator:

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Standard gameplan is to get it up the court before Zpacers get set.
Not when a) IT regularly pulls up for quick jumpers instead of being patient and setting up a better look for Gay/Cuz, b) it completely mixes up our transition defense going back in the other direction, a defense which has shown little ability to stop anyone outside the previous three games and c) works against what our best player does best.

Halfcourt defense is tough enough. We saw that tonight giving up 116. Transition defense when you're constantly pushing the tempo makes it even tougher. It's basically ignoring our real issues so we can say we scored more while allowing the opposition to score more(which we've been through repeatedly yet people keep ignoring). Who cares if we would have scored five more transition baskets and put up 102 instead of 92 if that allows Ind to put up 120-125 in return?

We don't have good defensive personnel for half court defense. We have even worse personnel to attempt to recover in transition situations if we're constantly pushing the tempo. Our guards would get overrun while our bigs are too slow to get back in time and cut off the lane. JT/Cuz aren't getting back quick enough to break up transition opportunities, so what you're suggesting is IT/MT/Gay are good enough to get that done. Yeah right. IT/MT couldn't stop a Duke fast break.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Playoff basketball is slow and methodical. We have two players built for playoff basketball. Thankfully, they're our two stars.

K

KingMilz

Cousins needs to be on the offensive glass all game like he was in the 3rd 2night, there is no reason he should not lead the league in offensive rebounds he could literally score 10+ a game just from getting tip in's /drawing fouls, he was far to passive on the glass in the first half. Fantastic 3rd quarter just beasted.

Gay was out played by George
Thornton/Mclemore were on Law and Order SVU fresh ep thanks to Sir Lance
West smashed JT/Acy
Thomas had his worst game of the year

I really thought Hibberts impact even if he could not really contain Cousins was crazy he shut down the lane completely for Gay and Thomas. Thomas looked nervous as hell as did most the team against the Pacers. D-Will had a great start get taken out meaning incosistant mins and his game went to crap as it normally does when that occurs.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Well that was ugly. A complete regression to the old, one-on-one ways, no perimeter defense, very little intensity and hanging their heads in 2nd and 4th.
Only 1 assist from our starting PG? That is really bad.
Jimmer clearly outplayed IT: more pts, more assists, only 1 TO (vs. 3 for IT) in 21 min
13 Ast and 15 TO’s says it all. But then Pacers are really good!
Other than another good game from Cuz (31 & 13), bench outplayed starters.
Kings have virtually no decent perimeter shooters and not just in this game.
I’d give Cuz a B (would be higher but for his attitude and tantrums), Jimmer a C+, DWill a C, everyone else a D

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Cousins needs to be on the offensive glass all game like he was in the 3rd 2night, there is no reason he should not lead the league in offensive rebounds he could literally score 10+ a game just from getting tip in's /drawing fouls, he was far to passive on the glass in the first half. Fantastic 3rd quarter just beasted.

Gay was out played by George
Thornton/Mclemore were on Law and Order SVU fresh ep thanks to Sir Lance
West smashed JT/Acy
Thomas had his worst game of the year

I really thought Hibberts impact even if he could not really contain Cousins was crazy he shut down the lane completely for Gay and Thomas. Thomas looked nervous as hell as did most the team against the Pacers. D-Will had a great start get taken out meaning incosistant mins and his game went to poopoo as it normally does when that occurs.
Inconsistent minutes? This is the exact same rotation Malone's been using for the past week and a half.

is this some sort of bad joke? the guy who may very well have criticized tyreke evans the most when it came to forcing the issue in fast break situations is now suggesting that isaiah thomas does the same exact thing, despite the fact that IT now has more running mates on the break (mclemore, williams, gay, etc) than 'reke ever had?

:rolleyes:

thomas played like s***. he played selfishly. he played foolishly. and his defensive effort was pathetic. there's no way of getting around it. and while many of IT's teammates also played poorly, they didn't fail isaiah thomas on the fast break. outside of DMC, the entire team failed to get up for an extremely difficult road game, thomas included. let's not pretend like IT's poor play simply amounted to looking "lackadaisical" and not "push[ing] the pace." that's just plain intellectual dishonesty. he is not a terrible player, but he played terribly...