[Grades] Grades v. Pacers 1/14/2014

So much suck tonight. Who had the most of it?

• Gay

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Thompson

Votes: 9 14.3%
  • Thornton

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Thomas

Votes: 41 65.1%
  • Williams

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fredette

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • McLemore

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Gray

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
really insignificant sidenote: Vogel is the German word for bird. how do I realise that just now after you put those two names next to each other?
Not only that, but both Paul and George were members of The Beatles, and beatles, as you know, are often eaten by birds. And vogels.

Kinda blows your mind doesn't it? :p

DMC is so good, I hope we'll get some good shooters eventually to play with him. Gay is probably our best shooter but it's slim pickings after that
We have all kinds of good shooters, we just need good shooters that are good defenders. We're headed that way but maybe too slowly.

And we need our shooters to start shooting according to what they're capable of! Thornton's career FG% is .434, and he's at .372 this season. What gives?

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
You'd give a guy a B for putting up 31-13 in three quarters when matched against the likely DPOY and best defensive team in basketball?

That better have been some tantrum. he didn't even get a T.
More like sour attitude on many non-calls, more than a bit of pouting, etc. Not so much a tantrum as general demeanor that will not help him get to the All-Star game. Sure he was A in his playing both ends considering it was Hibbert but downgraded to poor attitude and pouting on many non-calls.

More like sour attitude on many non-calls, more than a bit of pouting, etc. Not so much a tantrum as general demeanor that will not help him get to the All-Star game. Sure he was A in his playing both ends considering it was Hibbert but downgraded to poor attitude and pouting on many non-calls.
I believe this is what you get with cousins. He's an emotional guy.

Beats getting arrested.

I know everyone thinks Cousins played great by the final boxscore, but he made a fierce run in the 3rd when the game was essentially out of reach (from the Pacers perspective). I think I remember seeing he was 4-15 of something similar. Not his fault obviously, but saying he clearly is the best big man, he showed up, etc is slightly misleading. Of course, in the 3rd he played like the best player on the planet for a stretch...

Glenn

Hall of Famer
We were 14 points behind going into the 3rd and outscored Indiana in the third. Characterize that as you wish. In my view, he fought hard when we had a chance.

Boogie was 12 for 21 on the game which means he was 8 for 6 in the 3rd quarter using your memory about his first half. The fact that he scored more shots than he took attests to how well he was playing in that 3rd quarter.

Last edited:
I know everyone thinks Cousins played great by the final boxscore, but he made a fierce run in the 3rd when the game was essentially out of reach (from the Pacers perspective). I think I remember seeing he was 4-15 of something similar. Not his fault obviously, but saying he clearly is the best big man, he showed up, etc is slightly misleading. Of course, in the 3rd he played like the best player on the planet for a stretch...
I'm not sure what this says about us as fans or the current state of Cousins the player, but when 31 and 13 in 3 quarters against the top defender in the NBA (and it's not close) doesn't impress you much anymore, wow. The man has arrived when that's a "meh" game for some people.

Does he need to smile more? Would that make everyone happy?

I'm not sure what this says about us as fans or the current state of Cousins the player, but when 31 and 13 in 3 quarters against the top defender in the NBA (and it's not close) doesn't impress you much anymore, wow. The man has arrived when that's a "meh" game for some people.

Does he need to smile more? Would that make everyone happy?
i've certainly never minded cousins' scowl. he takes the game personally. he wants to win. occasionally his body language gets the better of him, but i certainly prefer his hyper-competitive attitude to, say, dwight howard's all-smiles-and-jokes attitude...

Didn't catch yesterday's game, but Tetsujin posted this in "the view from the other side" portion of today's Gameday Thread:

4:53 Cousins seems to still have quite a bit of diva in his game I mean he is really good, and super efficient, but tonight, that stuff still is popping up. Thought most of it had gone away
4:55 yeah still has plenty of growing up to do. but it’s all on the floor stuff, that’s why I think he gets WAY too bad a rep. you can easily “save” a guy who has those kinda problems.
Not sure what was going on then (again, I didn't see the game) but whatever was going on in the game during that time may be the source of the comments here.

i've certainly never minded cousins' scowl. he takes the game personally. he wants to win. occasionally his body language gets the better of him, but i certainly prefer his hyper-competitive attitude to, say, dwight howard's all-smiles-and-jokes attitude...
I don't recall ever seeing MJ smile after a foul call.

Bricklayer

No, he's pretty clearly the best big man.

And his third quarter dominance gave us every chance to get back into this game. Yeah, the Pacers considered the game so done they had all their starters out there, we repeatedly cut the lead beneath 10, and they left George on the floor in the 4th to finish us off before Cousins could come back. Truly they were coasting. If you are hearing that form Pacers fans that's just one of those pathetic little whiny attempts to deny the obvious post game.

No disrespect, but I feel quite strongly that you aren't qualified to speak on behalf of the 'Pacers perspective'. A 14-point lead to begin the 2nd half is by no means close to being out of reach. A team as successful as the Pacers are obviously aware of that fact, which is why they rarely become lackidasical or lose leads. Furthermore, the Kings got to within 8 with 1:28 remaining in the 3rd. The game didn't get out of reach until Paul George banked in a lucky 3 to end the 3rd then the Pacers went on another run during the first few minutes of the 4th, with Cuz on the bench, to extend the lead over 20.

In regards to Cousins, he was 8 for 12 in the 3rd and didn't play in the 4th. Simple math will tell you that he was 4 for 9 in the 1st half, a far cry from 4 for 15 and certainly not "something similar".

Honestly, how anybody that watched the entire game could possibly be critical of Big Cuz's performance is well beyond me. He was the sole reason the Kings weren't down by 25 or more by during the 3rd quarter. He kept it a game going into the 4th. He scored 31 of the Kings 74 points through 3 and did so at an efficient rate.

Bricklayer

Didn't catch yesterday's game, but Tetsujin posted this in "the view from the other side" portion of today's Gameday Thread:

Not sure what was going on then (again, I didn't see the game) but whatever was going on in the game during that time may be the source of the comments here.
In the first half Cousins was trying to slamball drives right into Hibbert's chest and draw fouls, and the refs weren't going to call that. I did see him bark at Gay once when Gay blatantly blew a defensive coverage. Mostly, he was a) trying to get their big man in foul trouble, which isn't going to make you friends with the other team's fans, and b) getting frustrated at his and our early struggles. Diva? No. Unsettled/trying too hard in the moment early? Yes.

No, he's pretty clearly the best big man.

And his third quarter dominance gave us every chance to get back into this game. Yeah, the Pacers considered the game so done they had all their starters out there, we repeatedly cut the lead beneath 10, and they left George on the floor in the 4th to finish us off before Cousins could come back. Truly they were coasting. If you are hearing that form Pacers fans that's just one of those pathetic little whiny attempts to deny the obvious post game.
Unlike all previous "trap" wins, this felt like the opponent came to play for whatever reason (probably two blow-outs by Kings in a row, plus all the previous "trap" games - Indiana really wants home court all the way), was giving their 100%. And this makes it a much better test. Pacers just had better execution and defense. And then Boogie sat down. Looking forward to home game vs Pacers.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
According to Williams, Acy is the vocal bench leader. That is very interesting. The other guys DO seem a bit passive vocally if such a trait is possible..