[Grades] Grades v. Mavs 11/30/2015

If DeMarcus Cousins never misses another game this season , do we make the playoffs?

• Yes

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 20 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

6-3 With Cousins
0-2 w/ Part Cousins
1-7 Without Cousins

See how that works now? He doesn't even have to play particularly well to score 30pts anymore. And at some point there it even looked like we might be trying to play some defense. Do not fear though, I'm sure the offenders will be identified and benched immediately.

Boxscore

Stats: 35min 20pts (7-12, 1-2, 5-5) 7reb 1ast 0stl 0blk 1TO
Summary: back to being a second weapon, and after a quiet start slipped back into his comfort zone for an efficient scoring night

Gay ( B- ) -- This was a quiet comeback game for Gay. Gay was not involved in the offense at all to start the game, getting one touch in the first four minutes. He missed his first two attempts before starting to post up Wes Matthews, where his height and strength were too much for the guy to handle. Gay had it going a little in the second quarter as the Kings started the comeback, scoring on some easy jumpers and some tough turnaround shots as well as a few dunks in the lane. Really, though, he just quietly poured in points for the remainder of the game on good shooting and with very little in the way of forced shots. Defensively, he was a mess. He continually lost his man and messed up switches on defense throughout the first half. He was unable to contain anyone in the second quarter while the Mavericks pulled away. The rest of the team stepped up defensively in the second half, so his mistakes were less noticeable, but he was far from locked in on defense. Still, he was a net positive on the floor as he was not trying to do too much and carried part of the scoring load as the "big 3" combined for 70 points. --Hadlowe

Stats: 12min 1pt (0-0, 0-0, 1-2) 5reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 1TO
Summary: got into early foul trouble and barely played therafter

Cauley-Stein ( INC ) -- He didn't see much time tonight, but what time he did see was pretty much a mixed bag. If we ignore his minute in garbage time where his defense was nonexistent, Trill still only had one good defensive stint tonight. In the first he wasn't making much of an impact down low, and he committed two fouls to put the Mavericks on the line for three points before getting pulled. In the third quarter he definitely had more of an impact on the defensive end, forcing a missed three and with a good rotation or two to stymie the Mavs. All in all the rebounding numbers were pretty good given his minutes, but he did miss two rebounds that he should have had and still looks to have some questionable hands from time to time. Offensively, Willie gave us nothing at all tonight. He was parking himself down on the baseline, not moving, not engaged in the offense, and basically letting his defender stand in the lane which took away all of our ability to drive or post up Cousins for that matter. The best you can hope for is for Willie to set a screen (I think he went to the effort to set three, all in the first quarter, and none freed anybody up meaningfully). We were playing 4-on-5 out there while trying to score for his 12 minutes, and bottom line he's going to have to find a way to integrate himself into the offense better. --Capt.

Stats: 38min 31pts (10-24, 1-8, 10-20) 9reb 6ast 0stl 1blk 2TO
Summary: no center should ever shoot 1-8 from 3p land, and yet even with that its 31pts and another win for us

Cousins ( B ) -- okay, Cuz just put up a 31-9-6 line without me even feeling he was playing well until the 4th. May have been a little out of shape, not looking quite sprightly and settling for three after three, which is of course a great way to annoy me. Zaza was actually outplaying him early, including hitting a couple of midrange jumpers which Cuz did not contest. There was some frustration, including a dumb foul running in from out of bounds to delvier a big shoulder block on Zaza under the hoop. But after the other two bigs both got chased with foul trouble, Cuz began to get his inside game going a bit, was making passes out of the attention he was drawing, and you could just feel the stabilizing effect he had even without his "A" stuff -- in 38 minutes he was +24 in a game we won by 14, meaning we were losing a point a minute in the 10 minutes without him. A lot of it was defense too, few spectacular plays, but he just knows how to move out and shade guys off, deter drivers from even starting the drive. And when the 4th rolled around with the game still in doubt, he slowly rumbled to life on offense, chipping away at the FT line, dropping a hook over Dirk, drawing a big charge on defense, and relentlessly muscling the Mavs out of the game. Padded up the stats a bit in the final minutes when Carlisle had a Karl moment, and in desperation threw a 5 guard lineup out on the floor and asked Wes Matthews to guard Cuz. Luckily for Wes he merely got pummeled mercilessly for his trouble and didn't blow out his other achilles in the process. 28.2pts 11.0rebs now, and 30+ points in 5 of his last 7 games. --Brick

Stats: 18min 4pts (2-6, 0-2, 0-0) 2reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Summary: Ben had better watch these unproductive nights now, as Curry has emerged as another SG competitor, and he'll knock down open shots

McLemore ( D ) -- hit one open pullup in his first stint, and had a nice catch of a high Cousins pass. But he missed that shot, blew several more Rondo assists, and lost 2nd quarter minutes to Curry. After half he came back, hit one more shot, and felt a little more solid, but nothing was happening in the statsheet again. There was no problem with Whew! Thank God He Turned Us Down Nick Anders...I mean Wes Matthews. We weren't getting lit up at the spot. It was just even more of a productivity black pit for us than normal, with Ben and Bels combining for 4pts. --Brick

Stats: 30min 21pts (6-14, 2-6, 7-14) 3reb 5ast 0stl 0blk 2TO
Summary: Carlisle tried to turn him into a scorer rather than passer, and played extensively on the hack-a-rondo exploit

Rondo ( ) -- --Brick

placeholder...

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Bench

Stats: 12min 0pts (0-3, 0-0, 0-4) 5reb 1ast 0stl 0blk 1TO
Koufos ( D- ) -- I was tempted to give Koufos an F tonight. Things started out badly enough when he committed two fouls in his first minute and a half and got pulled immediately, then he came back in to spell Cousins and missed two gimmes in the lane before the buzzer at the end of the first quarter. Then in the third quarter he bricked an easy post move followed by getting Hack-A-Kostaed for an ugly, ugly 0-4 from the line before getting benched for good. But he did grab a nice offensive board and kick out for the first Seth Curry three that really began the turnaround for us - we were down 14 before the shot but we went on a 20-7 run between Curry's two long balls to bring us within one, and while the Mavs put up a fight for the last few minutes of the second half, we pulled away from that point. Was Kosta responsible for most of that? Not a bit, but he did provide the spark that we needed with one assist, and I have to give him credit for that. The other thing that kept me from giving him an F is the contrast between Kosta's offense and Willie's. Kosta actually is involved in the plays, he moves around (I think he covered more offensive ground on one particular play than Willie did for the whole game), sets screens, and keeps the offense fluid. If nothing else, he sets an example that WCS needs to find a way to follow. So it's a D- instead of an F, Kosta. Terrible game. Do better next time. --Capt.

Stats: 15min 2pts (1-1, 0-0, 0-0) 0reb 2ast 0stl 0blk 2TO
Belinelli ( ) -- --Brick

Stats: 33min 10pt (4-8, 2-5, 0-1) 5reb 3ast 1stl 0blk 1TO
Casspi ( A ) -- This was nearly a perfect roleplayer game for Casspi. He had one instance of trying to do too much at the end of the first quarter resulting in a turnover that turned into a Chandler Parsons three pointer the other way. The rest of the game, he played a heady, in-control game, spacing the floor for Cousins, making the right pass, and knocking down his open shots. There was a sequence in the early fourth quarter when the Kings were pulling away that Casspi passed up two semi-open threes to get the ball down low to Cousins who had pinned his man in good position, and then he did it twice more on the next two possessions. The Mavs reacted by packing the paint and Casspi knocked down his second three pointer of the night to put the Kings up by 10. The game was never close again after that. Defensively, Casspi was engaged and active, disrupting a few plays. He was also the only King to somewhat bother Nowitzki on his jumpers (including a call for a brush foul on a Nowitzki flop.) More of this Casspi, please. --Hadlowe

Stats: 28min 15pts (4-8, 1-5, 6-6) 5reb 3ast 0stl 0blk 1TO
Collison ( ) -- --Brick

Stats: 20min 8pts (2-3, 2-3, 2-2) 1reb 1ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Curry ( ) -- --Brick

placeholder...

Last edited:
I

Im Still Ballin

If Karl is hell bent on dual PG lineups, I'd want it to be Rondo-Curry

DC has tunnel vision and no desire to play off the ball

This game was on par with the Lakers game, in which I saw the opposing front court cowering in fear by the third quarter. Teams may start throwing the white flag earlier to reduce physical stress on their team.

The thing I like here is Karl finally giving minutes to Curry to play either with Collison or with Rondo and cut the minutes of the Collison-Rondo backcourt. Yes DC-Rondo still played together. But if you have not noticed, they play a very quick pace instead of putting Rondo in a spot where he has no ball control.

I just hope the adjustment continues and DMC stays healthy. This big guy is the heart of this team.

Has there ever been a team that played a 6-1 PG with a 6-0 "SG" & 6-2 "SF"? This must have been the shortest backcourt in the last 20 years.

If Ben doesn't want to step up to be the guy when we are missing Cousins. I feel like Seth could be that. Small sample size though. But boy does he look good.

Seth appears to be the perfect answer to our shooting guard stipulations. I still think that BenMc is a better defender, but when you need quick scoring, Seth seems to be the ultimate weapon.
Ben needlessly helps in the paint, leaving his man open behind the arc. All Seth needs to do, to be an overall better defender, is to not mimic this nonsense and stay close to his man.

Ben needlessly helps in the paint, leaving his man open behind the arc. All Seth needs to do, to be an overall better defender, is to not mimic this nonsense and stay close to his man.
That's every wing defender on the team. It's the system these guys are in. It's not Ben trying to play hero.

Curry did the same exact thing that gave them an easy Matthews 3 pointer from the corner. The PG got by Collison and drove in the lane where Cousins and whoever was PF at the time were standing. Curry runs into the paint needlessly and the ball gets kicked to the corner for a wide open 3. It's Karl making these guys do this because they weren't doing this crap last year.

I don't know why he's coaching them to do this. Just stay home on your man and let your big men protect the rim.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I liked the shot distribution in this game. Everyone got their fair share of shots with Boogie leading the way, as it always should be. Gay didn't over shoot it and neither did Rondo. DC gave you about what you expected. Curry just simply needs to get more playing time, it's as simple as that. He knows how to play the right way and based on a small sample size that we can go by...he is a consistent shooter. He tries on defense too which is always welcoming. Dallas could not shoot it in the basket after the first half and I don't think the defense had any say really...sure, their effort increased significantly last night but it still resulted in a lot of wide open three point field goals and players having no idea who to defend.

We don't have the type of roster that lends itself to switching. Most of the time our guys get caught in no man's land in between the 3 and the paint in no position to defend either.

Not understanding the minority's hate for Collison. He did what was expected of him tonight. His problems tonight weren't ball-hogging as I believe some think, but it was defending the Dirk pick and pop. He was a revolving door for the guards in that pick and pop.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Not understanding the minority's hate for Collison. He did what was expected of him tonight. His problems tonight weren't ball-hogging as I believe some think, but it was defending the Dirk pick and pop. He was a revolving door for the guards in that pick and pop.
Not understanding why you seem to be under the impression that anyone's "hate" of Collison (and I do not stipulate that it even rises to that level) would be isolated to one game. Or why, if Collison has been doing something throughout the season, that the one game where he might not have done it means that that criticism would go away.

I think that some Kings Fans watch these basketball games in a vacuum, like they're isolated events that don't have anything to do with each other, and can't understand why the rest of us don't.

As awesome as it was to see Curry out there sparking the comeback with Back to back threes, It really bothered me to have 3 PGs out there at the same time, seeing DC defending Dirk?
and then after 8 pts real quick Seth was being ignored by all of his team mates, He only missed one shot and had real minutes but could not get the ball even when he was open?

I have no problem with seth taking SG minutes esp when Ben and Belli are both struggling
But DC should be back up for Rondo not playing at SG