[Grades] Grades v. Mavericks 12/7/2016

If we had gotten to play the 76ers, beaten them, and gone 3-3 on the trip, how would rate it?

• Good

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • Solid

Votes: 35 60.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Aieee! Aieee! Blow it Up!!

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
It made zero sense to start Ben last night and not play Afflalo a minute.
After DNP'ing Ben for multiple games, this kind of irrational behavior by the coach is disconcerting (especially since he didn;t explain it to the public).

Again, I'm sick of getting poopoo on by this franchise.
We Kings fans deserve explanations when inexplicable crap like this is done.
Why is it considered uncommon for us to get answers to valid questions? I'm sure other franchises actually answer obvious questions...

We are constantly left to spin our own theories to explain the unexplainable decisions we see this franchise make.
It's getting really tiring.
Please note that we won by 31 points yesterday, and your first instinct is to find something (and something minor, at that) to be exasperated about. I can tell you from experience that it's a lot less tiring if you just don't fret over the small stuff, but I'm not sure you're wired for that.

dude12

Hall of Famer
We do not deserve an explanation on why a guy like Ben or Afflalo does or does not play...coaches prerogative. I also understand why people are down on Afflalo but I think both guys bring the same product to the game. Both are missing open 3 looks, both guys hustle on defense....I don't buy the recent posts saying Afflalo is dogging it, he's working hard, just is not as athletic, but I think both guys are bringing the same production on defense. Ben is not better than Afflalo defensively, neither is above average, neither is terrible. Afflalo is a low post threat where he probably is better off the bench. Ben needs to make open 3's....if he can't I'd rather have Malachi Richardson in there.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
After DNP'ing Ben for multiple games, this kind of irrational behavior by the coach is disconcerting (especially since he didn;t explain it to the public).

Why is it considered uncommon for us to get answers to valid questions? I'm sure other franchises actually answer obvious questions...

We are constantly left to spin our own theories to explain the unexplainable decisions we see this franchise make.
Whether Afflalo, Ben or Temple start really doesn't make a difference IMO. They are all below average players and all three can't give you consistent deep shooting, so in Joerger's instance, he wanted to go with more speed and athleticism. However, I don't understand randomly throwing him in the starting unit after not playing him for a few games.

That said, we don't know what happened behind the scenes between Arron and Joerger, maybe nothing happened, who knows? No explanations are needed, you don't need to explain every single move you make to the media. Some things are better off being behind closed doors, let the media speculate about the rest. What it all boils down to is roster imbalance, a trade or two needs to be made here, otherwise keep the roster you have and you will surely end up in the lottery again.

I see posters sayng that Afflalo can't consistently make threes. He doesn't of coarse but when has he ever taken more than two in a game. Not ften if ever. He may not be able to make them but he doesn't take them. Put him back and let him take 6 threes as Ben did last night. I want to see if he can make 3 for 6 or 4 for 10 and maybe 4 for 4 like Temple did last night. Maybe he can't but I'd love to see him try for about five games.

FWIW, pre-game Joerger mentioned that he liked to have guys play 6-10 games before he made changes so they could get a rhythm, so he probably felt that Afflalo had a chance to show what he could do in the starting lineup and wanted to give McClemore a chance, since Affllalo was not effective. Post-game Joerger commented that Ben was showing well in practice.

This may not be enough of an explanation for you, but it is hardly irrational or unexplainable behavior by the coach.

Barnes had some on target passes last night, but his passes are like bullets and I hold my breath every time he passes because I don't know if they are going to be on the mark or hit some random spectator in the first row.
He makes too many risky passes.

They both look terrible. Why do you think Ben started yesterday? Was it maybe because the team wants to showcase him for a trade?
I think Ben helps the team more when he comes off the bench. He's shown in that role that he can hit two 3's in a row. Of course, the next game he misses four in a row.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I think Ben helps the team more when he comes off the bench. He's shown in that role that he can hit two 3's in a row. Of course, the next game he misses four in a row.
Ben getting the starting nod for a game or two won't make or break this season, inserting Afflalo in there won't either. That said, I'd take my chance with Ben because he doesn't take up space like Afflalo would because his strength is his post game and mid-range. Even if Ben is shooting 1-8 from the field, he is shooting them because he is open, whether he can make them or not.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I'm not going to lie....when Joerger went to the SF lineup against NY I think it was.....Boogie, Barnes, Casspi, Gay, DC...that lineup was pretty good.....it probably gets killed guarding a smaller quicker backcourt but it performed well.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Meh. I'm torn: Utah losing is good for us, but Utah losing also meant that the Warriors won, and I don't ever want to see the Warriors win anything. When the Warriors play the gd lakers, I root for the apocalypse.

Whether Afflalo, Ben or Temple start really doesn't make a difference IMO. They are all below average players and all three can't give you consistent deep shooting, so in Joerger's instance, he wanted to go with more speed and athleticism. However, I don't understand randomly throwing him in the starting unit after not playing him for a few games.

That said, we don't know what happened behind the scenes between Arron and Joerger, maybe nothing happened, who knows? No explanations are needed, you don't need to explain every single move you make to the media. Some things are better off being behind closed doors, let the media speculate about the rest. What it all boils down to is roster imbalance, a trade or two needs to be made here, otherwise keep the roster you have and you will surely end up in the lottery again.
Ben was 3-11 FGs last game. Give A-Slow-0 those same minutes and he's 1-4 Fgs or 2-4 FGs. Though the shots did not go in they were good shots. We need proper shot distribution. Our best best player cannot be jacking 25-30 shots a night....its going to wear him down and burn him out!

Boogie was 10-16 FGs against the Mavs...the fact that our SG was aggressive and looked to score is welcome. A-Slow-o drags down the dynamics of the starting unit and is incapable of getting and making shots unless we are going to post him up over and over. The guy is on a steep decline with old knees and only a guy like Vlade who never relied upon athleticism would disregard an obvious fact and gift him $12M + $2M in free money.

Before last game I declared to salvage our season we needed a new SG (Temple, Ben), a new PF (Willie) AND/OR a trade or else we are doomed. I am hopeful although it was 4-5 games too late that Joerger seems to be on same page. Ben can make the shots he missed and if he gets consistent minutes he will prove that.

Lastly, as I have said before, A-Slow-o is SF not a SG....and he can be effective behind Rudy with Omri swinging to PF....and Matt Barnes benched or waived. Even though I think A-Slow-o is a borderline NBA player at this point of his career, Barnes is a washed up player, so I'd give minutes to a borderline guy before a washed up guy.

Tonight is a must win. Assuming Ben starts, and after win in Dallas, I think the Kings will respond and take care of business. This is a payback game and if this team is not in the mood for payback, they may as well call off the rest of the season. No more postponing being respectable. Put up or shut up.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Ben was 3-11 FGs last game. Give A-Slow-0 those same minutes and he's 1-4 Fgs or 2-4 FGs. Though the shots did not go in they were good shots. We need proper shot distribution. Our best best player cannot be jacking 25-30 shots a night....its going to wear him down and burn him out!

Boogie was 10-16 FGs against the Mavs...the fact that our SG was aggressive and looked to score is welcome. A-Slow-o drags down the dynamics of the starting unit and is incapable of getting and making shots unless we are going to post him up over and over. The guy is on a steep decline with old knees and only a guy like Vlade who never relied upon athleticism would disregard an obvious fact and gift him $12M + $2M in free money.

Before last game I declared to salvage our season we needed a new SG (Temple, Ben), a new PF (Willie) AND/OR a trade or else we are doomed. I am hopeful although it was 4-5 games too late that Joerger seems to be on same page. Ben can make the shots he missed and if he gets consistent minutes he will prove that.

Lastly, as I have said before, A-Slow-o is SF not a SG....and he can be effective behind Rudy with Omri swinging to PF....and Matt Barnes benched or waived. Even though I think A-Slow-o is a borderline NBA player at this point of his career, Barnes is a washed up player, so I'd give minutes to a borderline guy before a washed up guy.

Tonight is a must win. Assuming Ben starts, and after win in Dallas, I think the Kings will respond and take care of business. This is a payback game and if this team is not in the mood for payback, they may as well call off the rest of the season. No more postponing being respectable. Put up or shut up.
The Kings just do not have enough players to have that approach of a "payback" game IMO...Rudy is getting absolutely torched out there in the first half. At the same time, he isn't really producing much on offense. The Afflalo signing is as baffling to me then as it is now, you and I are on the same page there.

In the end though, whether Afflalo shoots 1-4 or Ben shoots 3-11...that won't help turn this team around. Ideally, you want both of them off your roster after the last regular season game so here's hoping to that!